What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB JaMycal Hasty, Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

squistion

Footballguy
No love for this guy, I have been snagging him in the 4th round of rookie drafts. He is probably on the waiver wire in leagues that have already drafted.

I get it, he was an UDFA, but if he makes the SFO team, he will be fantasy worthy with Kyle Shanahan's RBBC roulette.

https://goldengatesports.com/2020/06/04/san-francisco-49ers-jamycal-hasty-role/

49ers: Could JaMycal Hasty secure the third-down running back role?

The San Francisco 49ers found plenty of success on the ground in 2019, but they didn’t do so riding the coattails of just one running back. Instead, it was a collection of backs that led the team to the success that they had.

Only the Baltimore Ravens finished with more rushing yards per game as the 49ers averaged a whopping 144.1 yards on the ground. Combine that with their stellar 4.6 yards per carry and league-leading 23 rushing scores and you have arguably the best ground attack in the NFL.

And again, they accomplished this without a true bell-cow back. Rather, head coach Kyle Shanahan’s offensive scheming allowed the team to get the most out of players like Tevin Coleman, Raheem Mostert, Matt Breida, and even Jeff Wilson.

Perhaps no player shined more than Mostert who went from glorified special-teamer to the team’s lead back by the season’s end. And if Mostert could make that sort of meteoric rise in the 49ers offense, why can’t another unheralded running back do the same?

Enter JaMycal Hasty.

Don’t be surprised if JaMycal Hasty makes the 49ers’ roster.

Like Mostert, Hasty enters the league as an undrafted free agent after spending his college career at Baylor. Hasty never became a lead back with the Bears instead being used as part of a rotation all four years.

Given the 49ers’ overwhelming depth at the positon, one might assume that Hasty would be a longshot to make the roster.

After all, Coleman and Mostert are locks and throw in the scrappy Wilson and a hopefully healthy Jerick McKinnon and there doesn’t seem to be much from for an undrafted rookie.

And perhaps that’s partially true. Perhaps Hasty shouldn’t be considered exactly “likely” to make the final 55-man roster. But there are plenty of reasons as to why he can as well.

While undersized at just 5-foot-8, 205 pounds, Hasty makes up for his smaller stature with impressive burst and breakaway speed. The Texas native also has impressive receiving skills and made a living on special teams while at Baylor.

Hasty is never going to be a lead back in the NFL. He simply doesn’t have the size, power, or balance to be able to handle 15+ carries per game at the running back position.

But that’s perfectly okay and it’s not the role he’ll be asked to fill either with the 49ers or another team. He’s strictly a third-down, pass-catching back who excels on special teams and wins coaching staffs over with his work ethic and hustle.

You can never have enough of those players on your team.

Hasty undoubtedly faces an uphill battle, but it isn’t impossible. For starters, there’s no guarantee that McKinnon is even healthy for the start of the season or in 2020 at all. If that’s the case, that wouldn’t only open a roster spot, but it would open up a role on offense.

Many expect McKinnon to take on that third-down role that he once played with the Minnesota Vikings. But if he can’t play, the team will need someone else to fill that role.

That player could be JaMycal Hasty.

At the very least, Hasty should have no trouble sticking around on the practice squad provided he could beat out fellow undrafted rookie Salvon Ahmed.

Last edited:
I scooped up him and Salvon Ahmed thinking one of them makes the roster. It's an egalitarian backfield over there, and one of them could have late season value and even legit 2021 value.

Yeah I missed out on Hasty (who was drafted in the 4th round) but scooped up Ahmed for cheap after so that I'd have a piece of that RB competition.

Had a great camp but too many RBs puts him on the practice squad.  I look for another team to steal him off their PS.  I believe that so much that I didn't drop him in favor of another defense to replace the Bucs against the Saints.

Just dropped Gaskin for him this AM, big flyer....who knows.... two years ago mostert was an absolute afterthought.  He got rave reviews in camp, he dose seem a bit small though.

Over McKinnon too?  Or just over Hasty?
I'm reading Wilson could get most of the carries.

The San Francisco Chronicle believes Jeff Wilson “could see the most action” in Week 3 against the Giants.

With Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman sidelined, Wilson and Jerick McKinnon are next up for carries. The 49ers could also promote RB JaMycal Hasty from the practice squad. Wilson played just five snaps the first two weeks but may be the favorite for early down and red-zone work over McKinnon. In a matchup with a struggling Giants run defense, Wilson is a Week 3 streaming option.

Y’all know that Moster is likely only out a week, right?

I expect McKinnon to be the man (PPR) in the interim. 

long term I do like Hasty as a prospect, but for 2020 everyone needs to slow down a little. MRI confirmed a minor sprain of the MCL. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Y’all know that Moster is likely only out a week, right?

I expect McKinnon to be the man (PPR) in the interim. 

long term I do like Hasty as a prospect, but for 2020 everyone needs to slow down a little. MRI confirmed a minor sprain of the MCL. 
Yes, but the Shannahan offense is a dream for RBs and they love Hasty.... like I said, major flyer... with all these freagin injuries who knows...

2 person would be awesome.   You would always make the playoffs
True story: ~16 years ago a friend and I were drinking & started talking FF trash.

We came up with a $50 bet to do a 2-team league. 25 man roster, PPR, 6 point TDs. And no in-season roster moves. We drafted on Yahoo that night. 

I had 1st pick and took PManning. His 49 TDs won me the “league”. 

49ers promoted RB JaMycal Hasty from the practice squad.

This was expected with Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman out. Hasty joins Jeff Wilson and Jerick McKinnon in an injury-ravaged backfield. He could see a few touches in a change-up role.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

Sep 26, 2020, 11:03 AM ET

Tempted to jump on Hasty now as I could see his cost in FAAB next week being significant. There are rumors out of SF that they’ve been trying to hide him, especially without preseason games for him to show off to other teams. 

Wilson seems likely to get carries and maybe goal line, but he’s also a former UDFA and Hasty has way more juice. McKinnon is extremely fragile. Curious to see what Hasty can do, especially now that they’ve said Mostert will miss a couple weeks and Coleman the same. 

Tempted to jump on Hasty now as I could see his cost in FAAB next week being significant. There are rumors out of SF that they’ve been trying to hide him, especially without preseason games for him to show off to other teams. 

Wilson seems likely to get carries and maybe goal line, but he’s also a former UDFA and Hasty has way more juice. McKinnon is extremely fragile. Curious to see what Hasty can do, especially now that they’ve said Mostert will miss a couple weeks and Coleman the same. 
McKinnon had one injury.  That one injury sidelined him for two years, but still...

Also I thought Hasty was a UDFA as well?

McKinnon had one injury.  That one injury sidelined him for two years, but still...

Also I thought Hasty was a UDFA as well?
Hasty is a UDFA. My point was simply we’ve seen UDFAs produce for Shanahan. Mostert himself is a UDFA. Wilson too. 

Hasty is a UDFA. My point was simply we’ve seen UDFAs produce for Shanahan. Mostert himself is a UDFA. Wilson too. 
I misread your UDFA sentence - thought you were saying that because Wilson was a UDFA he should be easier to unseat.  My bad.

Either way got Hasty on my taxi squad so I'd love to see him go off.

Just picked him up in both my Dynasty leagues, 24 and 27 player rosters. Can only hope he shines tomorrow or waiver wire on Tuesday!

Let’s not be too hasty.

Still I think he’s rather tasty.

Is this guy a prince or a street rat? Running back needy teams yet again looking at some waiver wire action this week with yet another set of terrible RB injuries.

Seeing them finish out the game with Hasty in some important situations instead of McKinnon was interesting, that’s a lot of trust to put in him and I’d think it’s a good sign. 

Wish I'd put him on my taxi. Knew he'd shine in that offense if given the chance. Now he's rostered in both my dynasty leagues. 😕 

JaMycal Hasty rushed nine times for 37 yards in the 49ers' Week 6 win against the Rams. 

Hasty, who started the season on the Niners' practice squad, emerged as the primary ball carrier after Raheem Mostert left with an ankle injury. Jerick McKinnon got six carries against the Rams, but it was Hasty who was in the game when the Niners sealed the victory. Head coach Kyle Shanahan said "Hasty was up for the challenge. Got some fresh legs in there and I thought he gave us some juice a little bit." Jeff Wilson was inactive Sunday night with a calf injury and Tevin Coleman remains sidelined with a knee issue. Hasty, who recorded the best shuttle-time (4.03 seconds) of any back at this year's Combine, could be next in the revolving door of San Francisco running backs. He should be picked up this week in 12-team leagues. 

RELATED: 

Jerick McKinnon

, Raheem Mostert

SOURCE: NBC Sports 

Oct 19, 2020, 11:49 AM ET

Mostert has a high ankle sprain now, Per Rotowire, and is likely headed to IR.

While everyone runs for Wilson and McKinnon, Hasty might be the guy to grab. 

I thought he looked good on a few of his runs. Great burst. 

It was later in the game and perhaps fatigue was a factor but he had more juice than McKinnon had at that point. An advantage of using multiple RB some times. McKinnon wasn't looking as spry by that point as he did earlier in the game.

Mostert has a high ankle sprain now, Per Rotowire, and is likely headed to IR.

While everyone runs for Wilson and McKinnon, Hasty might be the guy to grab. 
Tevin Coleman is near returning. Jeff Wilson who had a calf injury is getting healthy this week. And you have Jet.

That's a crowded backfield and while agree Hasty looked tasty, these other guys also had days in the sun.

I want to believe, but have no idea if shedding downtrending guys like Edmonds or Kelley in Hasty's favor, or pursuing other potential backs that could also potentially see their day like Perine or even D'Ernest Johnson are better speculative moves.

Fantasy seems way more of a dice roll this year.

Really going back and forth on the viability of Hasty.

On one hand, even without Mostert it's a pretty crowded backfield, as most have said, with McKinnon still there and Coleman and Wilson about to return.

On the other hand, Mostert was also basically a nobody before taking over the backfield, so maybe Shanahan seems something there with Hasty and possibly gives him a long look.

As a McKinnon owner I spent 11% on Hasty this week. Should only need either as injury depth but we have seen how valuable a 49 RB can be "if you know when they are going to get a heavy load". 

I spent 34% on Hasty and got him. My feeling is that the injury to Mostert is going to keep him out for at least three and possibly four games.  McKinnon to me has always been an underperformer.  The fact that the team leaned on Hasty in the fourth quarter of a close game tells me they feel comfortable with him. And they didn't even throw to him that much although that is a strength.  I looked at his Baylor tape and I am impressed by the following:

a. He has good vision and seems to pick the hole quickly and well.  When there is nothing there he picks that up and sometimes shifts right or left to find a crease and get something.  Vision is one of the most under rated RB skills and from what I saw he has it.

b. Quickness. He hits a hole hard and fast and bursts through the first line of defenders.

c. Balance. He isn't the best at this but for a small back he is above average and doesn't go down with arm tackles.

d. Shiftiness. He can change direction quickly and elude tacklers in the second level.

e. Soft hands catching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KEhWeFmXEU

I spent 34% on Hasty and got him. My feeling is that the injury to Mostert is going to keep him out for at least three and possibly four games.  McKinnon to me has always been an underperformer.  The fact that the team leaned on Hasty in the fourth quarter of a close game tells me they feel comfortable with him. And they didn't even throw to him that much although that is a strength.  I looked at his Baylor tape and I am impressed by the following:

a. He has good vision and seems to pick the hole quickly and well.  When there is nothing there he picks that up and sometimes shifts right or left to find a crease and get something.  Vision is one of the most under rated RB skills and from what I saw he has it.

b. Quickness. He hits a hole hard and fast and bursts through the first line of defenders.

c. Balance. He isn't the best at this but for a small back he is above average and doesn't go down with arm tackles.

d. Shiftiness. He can change direction quickly and elude tacklers in the second level.

e. Soft hands catching.

How did this kid go undrafted? He passes the eyeball test and I concur with overall assessment 

Was able to mortgage a pick to get some FAAB and picked Hasty back up for a buck after having had dropped him. Even still, the second time I picked him up was before all of this happened (I'd also bid a buck last time). I did it for Mostert insurance, and that might pay dividends soon.

But to the point: his highlights at Baylor look very good as did his runs against a stout LA Rams front. The 49ers hadn't really gone anywhere against them all night, and Hasty ripped off 4 YPC when LA knew he was coming.

Good show. Love to see more of this guy now that Mostert is hurt.

Watched the highlights from Sunday. Dude looks like he’s shot out of a cannon and very shifty. Just too bad it’s such a crowded and unpredictable backfield.

e. Soft hands catching.

f. is on a team with an elite run scheme with a history of making nobodies above average RB's.

f. is on a team with an elite run scheme with a history of making nobodies above average RB's.
Exactly.

Wasn't long ago, that everyone was swirling around T. Coleman / M. Breida and some unknown R. Mostert kept acting like an annoying fly for those owners showing flashes and stealing touches.

You never know. History could repeat itself.

The way I think of it is this (if I can spare the roster spot and in my dynasty leagues I definitely can)—maybe right now it feels like I’ll never be comfortable enough predicting injuries/game script/whatever to determine if Hasty is a slam dunk start or not for my roster. But I damn sure don’t want to have him run all over me in the fantasy playoffs for an opponent because a ton of injuries happened and he became an obvious, if unlikely, bellcow. It’s why I’ve owned him and had him on the taxi squad since July or so. 

Users who are viewing this thread