What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone know how to get rid of bamboo? (1 Viewer)

b-snatchers

Footballguy
My neighbor has decided to plant a bunch of bamboo along the edge of our property. Each year it seems to come further in the yard. I made a trench to keep it out but doesn't seem to be deep enough.

I think my next step is to hire someone who has done this before.

Any suggestions?

Bamboo is grass and most things that will kill grass will also kill it.  It may become more resistant when it gets bigger just due to size.  

Last edited by a moderator:
My neighbor has decided to plant a bunch of bamboo along the edge of our property. Each year it seems to come further in the yard. I made a trench to keep it out but doesn't seem to be deep enough.

Any suggestions?
Ooh that’s messed up to plant it. We have it native or something in Maryland and that stuff is crazy uncontrollable. I just put in a retaining wall to try to keep it back and spent a chunk of yesterday uprooting some strays. Trench seems like a good idea but it will eventually it will go under and pop up. Each time it surfaces, try to unearth the network it’s connected to and remove as much as you can.  Godspeed. 

Any suggestions?
I believe some areas actually have laws or ordinances against planting it because of how invasive it is. Check your local laws. The neighbor may be obligated to take care of it himself on his dime.

Even if nothing on the books about it, might still be worth having a conversation with them and explaining the situation and see if they will help.

I know Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania have ordinances against Murder (Running) Bamboo.  I bet it is prohibited in more states.

Good luck. A Baboons life expectancy is between 20 to 30 years. Maybe throw a banana across the street.

You are screwed. We’ve been fighting it for 10 years. On the other side of our fence. I dug a 3 ft trench and put heavy rubber against the fence. It has worked for 2 years, but I see it now growing up between the fence and the rubber. Bad ### bamboo. 

You are screwed. We’ve been fighting it for 10 years. On the other side of our fence. I dug a 3 ft trench and put heavy rubber against the fence. It has worked for 2 years, but I see it now growing up between the fence and the rubber. Bad ### bamboo. 
You gotta take care of the problem at the source.

Sorry, panda joke already taken.

Did you ever replant the tree(s)?
No, not yet.  They are finishing the construction.  Will wait for them to do their landscaping and see what's there and decide at that point.  Probably late fall this year or spring next year at this point. 

And, it's fine, it was funny  :)

I think a trench with some sort of metal lining is a good defense from what I've heard. 
Good luck. It’s evil. 

The previous owner of our house decided that every side of the property needs a bamboo wall for privacy, so it was completely surrounded with mature bamboo (no idea what they were doing that required so much privacy). At least they did a decent job with containment so it did not spread everywhere where the bulk of the bamboo was. A few years ago we tore out the majority of it, just leaving a little hedge. It pops back up occasionally where we removed it but it is not too bad. There is some small side yard area that is barely accessible that is completely overrun, occasionally I go in and chop it all down, but it comes back pretty quick. At some point I am guessing I will need to dig down and try and remove it all. I would never plant it anywhere myself after having to deal with it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
a trench wont help because the roots will just go below it. You need to stop the spread of the roots by burying a barrier below ground. They sell a bamboo barrier on a roll, I would even go deeper then they recommend to be sure. 

My town does not allow bamboo to be planted just for this reason. 

Another "ouch" vote.  My parents had some in their backyard for years and it was a beeyotch to get rid of.

Any green thumbs here have any luck with Morning Glory?  Damn stuff is running wild in my flower bed
If you're talking about bindweed, that stuff drives me nuts.  It's hard to get the whole thing, so it just grows back.  I've been going out to my flower garden as often as I can to pick it as low as possible, but apparently you need to do it diligently for a few years to eventually kill it.  

Users who are viewing this thread