What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me sniff out a scam (1 Viewer)

Zigg

Footballguy
Hello all, I would love some help from this great community to let me know if this is a scam.

I received a phone call about selling time-share(suspicious?).  We have been going back and forth about paper work for three weeks, here are my pros and cons:

CONS

- they want money up front to cover state tax in Mexico, they say no way around it

-price seems very, very good.  They say buyer is making very large purchase of multiple units, get more than 50% back from taxes(that's what they do, they right it off)

PROS

-both the real estate, and trust company I've been talking with exist.  I searched the Georgia business directory, and both companies are there with correct phone numbers.

-I've talked to 8-10 people over a three week period,  seems like a lot of work for minimal pay-off if it's a scam.

Am I wrong in thinking that since these are seemingly legitimate businesses, that this isn't a scam? 

Would existing, licensed businesses run a scam like this?

Is there a legit reason for me to NEED to send money?

Thanks for any help, I'm a very trusting person by nature, and all input would be great.  I'm leaning towards about a 80% chance of legit based primarily on my two pros.  Let me know if that is a stupid assumption on my part, and there are ways around that which I don't know about.  

Found this link. It specifically says that if they’re asking for a lot of money up-front, it’s probably a scam. Legitimate real estate agents will ask for very little to get you started and take a commission instead.

The thing is, I called the number directly from the Georgia business directory.  Is there a way to run a scam like that?  

I’m very aware of all the potential scams, but the  time they’ve put in plus being listed makes me very curious.  I’d usually run for the hills.

Plus, I’ve also read that fees are usually re-covered post sale, but not always.

The scams are always the same ideas, and I’ve read lots of articles.  But would any scammer have two licensed businesses?  That’s the thing I can’t get past.  Does that make any sense?

Or should I just assume it’s a scam based on at Tom of previous evidence?  

The scams are always the same ideas, and I’ve read lots of articles.  But would any scammer have two licensed businesses?  That’s the thing I can’t get past.  Does that make any sense?

Sounds like you want to believe it is not a scam and are looking for someone to give you the ok.  I would stay away.

Not at all, I would like to address the fact that these two companies are licensed.  If someone can tell me that that is common in scams, I’m all ears.  

I’m very aware timeshare sales is very dodgy, but there is a legit market mixed in with a ton of scams.  I’d love to get opinions specific to my situation.

Just because companies are licensed doesn't mean they won't scam you.  If its too good to be true it probably is.  Cold call solicitation and asking for money up front is the big red flag for me.
Can I get more info here.  Wouldn't they get sued by everyone they scammed and lose their license.  I always thought the point of a scam was to disappear after the fact.  This is the only reason I'm intrigued.  

Zigg - you need to zagg. Run for the hills.  If you post more details I'm sure we can help you spot the scam, but what you post is vague and full of assumptions.  Start with this:

What are the names of the businesses you believe you were contacted by.

Where are you looking them up to verify them (the directory you speak of)?

How do you know that the actors you are speaking to are actually part of the business you believe they are?

Can I get more info here.  Wouldn't they get sued by everyone they scammed and lose their license.  I always thought the point of a scam was to disappear after the fact.  This is the only reason I'm intrigued.  
I worked for one of those student painter outfits in college.  They went bankrupt with a few thousand dollars I had earned.  They continued operating under a different license number the following year and I never received my money.  

There are ways to screw you out of money even if they are a licensed company.  I have no idea if this situation is legit or not but just because they have a license doesn't mean they won't screw you and disappear.

Not at all, I would like to address the fact that these two companies are licensed.  If someone can tell me that that is common in scams, I’m all ears.  

I’m very aware timeshare sales is very dodgy, but there is a legit market mixed in with a ton of scams.  I’d love to get opinions specific to my situation.
Did you read fruity's link above? Its a scam. They even had a licensed lawyer.

Don did none of that, but did verify with the State Bar of Wisconsin that Sheila G. Kolbe is indeed licensed to practice law. He even found “her” impressive website, “Leading in Law,” which made it appear that Kolbe has mastered all kinds of legal specialties.

It was a huge red flag which Don, like most victims, did not pick up on. The website was created by the crooks.

Over the next few weeks, he wired:

• $4,000 for a Mexican notary’s fees;

• $8,800 for the Mexican Capital Gains Tax;

• $3,200 for an 8 percent commission.

https://ecorp.sos.ga.gov/BusinessSearch

This is the website I used to search the companies.  I will call them tomorrow to verify info and phone numbers.  

They sent a bank account statement from Mexico with my "money" in it.  I will call them tomorrow to get some info.

I read the article with the State Bar approved lawyer.  Definitely a bad sign.  The difference is that they recommended her, I'm trying to do independent research.  But a bad sign for sure.

If this is a scam, damn it's a good one.  These guys have put in a ton of work for a pretty minor amount of money.  8-10 guys over 3 weeks seems quite inefficient.  

Any specific questions I should ask the bank? 

Zigg - you need to zagg. Run for the hills.  If you post more details I'm sure we can help you spot the scam, but what you post is vague and full of assumptions.  Start with this:

What are the names of the businesses you believe you were contacted by.

Where are you looking them up to verify them (the directory you speak of)?

How do you know that the actors you are speaking to are actually part of the business you believe they are?
https://austellrealtypartnersllc.com/

That's the real estate company.  Vague website.  I could have sworn the directory had a matching phone number on it, but it doesn't.  Don't like that.  The title company is Alliant Title & Escrow LLC.  Once again, I thought I called the number from the directory, but it's not there now. 

Both are based in Atlanta.    

I worked for one of those student painter outfits in college.  They went bankrupt with a few thousand dollars I had earned.  They continued operating under a different license number the following year and I never received my money.  

There are ways to screw you out of money even if they are a licensed company.  I have no idea if this situation is legit or not but just because they have a license doesn't mean they won't screw you and disappear.
Thank you

This is the website I used to search the companies.  I will call them tomorrow to verify info and phone numbers.  

They sent a bank account statement from Mexico with my "money" in it.  I will call them tomorrow to get some info.

I read the article with the State Bar approved lawyer.  Definitely a bad sign.  The difference is that they recommended her, I'm trying to do independent research.  But a bad sign for sure.

If this is a scam, damn it's a good one.  These guys have put in a ton of work for a pretty minor amount of money.  8-10 guys over 3 weeks seems quite inefficient.  

Minor amount of money now but scammers try to get a smaller amount at first because you’re obviously more likely to send that and try and get you pot committed. Then they ask for more. Playing a bunch of people at the same time too.

It's a scam, man.  We had a timeshare and my wife "found" a guy who was (SOUND FAMILIAR?) making a very large purchase for the tax benefits and rewards for his employees.  Just needed some money upfront that would be "kept in escrow."

When I said, "Look, I'll make this deal with you today, but I'm not sending you any money upfront," his reply was, "Thank you, good day."

It's a scam.

It almost looks like you’ve already sent them some money. If so, amazed that you would give any money to someone cold calling you about Mexican real estate. I ignore charities that call me because if I want to donate, I’ll initiate the contact. I just don’t trust anyone cold calling let alone Mexican real estate. It’s very easy to setup web sites. There’s literally nothing on that web site. They used full names as references? Most legit sites would use a first name or first name and initial not the entire name. Their web site IMHO seems fishy. Not horribly done like the Nigerian prime emails but certainly not something I would trust unless I went looking for them first.

You say minimal amount of money....

These people are working on volume

You say minimal amount of money....

These people are working on volume
That’s why there’s 8-10 people. Think Boiler Room/Wolf of Wall Street background noise. All they need is Google docs and anyone in the office can talk to the whale. That web site honestly could have been built in a day and cost $100 a month with all kinds of options to make it seem legit. It’s very low cost, so like you said volume and maybe even not enough that people will file complaints or just chalk it up to a mistake and not make it more embarrassing. It would take this company (like the painter example posted above) a day to literally become another entity. 

what is going on here?  you got a cold call about a time share and it seems that important to evaluate?  why even consider this?

Long Ball Larry said:
what is going on here?  you got a cold call about a time share and it seems that important to evaluate?  why even consider this?
From his posts, it seems like he’s evaluating it now that he’s already gone in on it and maybe looking for validation before putting in more. I agree with you. 

Sorry man, your money is gone. 

That link posted earlier from FP is spot on. You got scammed. I just hope it wasn't too much money. 

That being said, since you seem like a guy who likes to invest, i have a land deal out here I would like to talk to you about. It is a wonderful tract of 400 hundred acres. There are some liens on it and a possible Native American burial ground issue plus there was that whole hantavirus scare with that endangered kangaroo mouse species that only lives on this land, but for just a small sum of $5,000 (bitcoin transaction only) I can get you in on the bottom level of this investment. Let's talk.... 

Sorry man, your money is gone. 

That link posted earlier from FP is spot on. You got scammed. I just hope it wasn't too much money. 

That being said, since you seem like a guy who likes to invest, i have a land deal out here I would like to talk to you about. It is a wonderful tract of 400 hundred acres. There are some liens on it and a possible Native American burial ground issue plus there was that whole hantavirus scare with that endangered kangaroo mouse species that only lives on this land, but for just a small sum of $5,000 (bitcoin transaction only) I can get you in on the bottom level of this investment. Let's talk.... 
You forgot the pet cemetery.

Fan of Charles McCoy said:
Agree. Stay far, far away from time shares. There's a reason you hear radio ads offering help to get out from under time shares.
The one I always hear is a guy with a thick Southern accent. I have no idea what he looks like, but I picture Charlie Daniels. 

Zigg said:
https://austellrealtypartnersllc.com/

That's the real estate company.  Vague website.  I could have sworn the directory had a matching phone number on it, but it doesn't.  Don't like that.  The title company is Alliant Title & Escrow LLC.  Once again, I thought I called the number from the directory, but it's not there now. 

Both are based in Atlanta.    
https://www.bbb.org/us/ga/atlanta/profile/timeshare-resale-and-rental-marketing/austell-realty-partners-l-l-c-0443-28142436  not accredited with BBB. 

Google this company and you will find a link with the text 'timeshare-resale-phonies' in the URL (never a good sign)  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiO7uGZpYXqAhWCPM0KHSzJCnQQFjACegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.consumer.ftc.gov%2Fblog%2F2014%2F05%2Fbe-lookout-timeshare-resale-phonies%3Fpage%3D11&usg=AOvVaw1YJfUQ5S63c8OqPbF4aQ2c

Google 'businesses at 133 Peachtree Street Atlanta GA 30303' - nothing for Austell listed

Bernie Madoff's company was licensed (official) and audited.

I recall a line from a video on ZZZZ Best, a scam company (that even went public) years ago.  A reporter who investigated it all said something like "if they put as much effort into running a real company as they did to rum the scam, they'd have been successful."

Yes, it is VERY inefficient. There's no way a legit business would have 8-10 different people talking to you about this.

I don't know if this is related but this weekend I received a call where the voice mail was basically " we talked to you last week about selling your time-share and want to talk to you about the details and processing the documents". We don't have a time-share. They must be robo calling people hoping to grab a few people that are really thinking about selling their timeshare.

it takes me less than 2 minutes to create a licensed business.

This and all the other info is why I check with FBG when I'm unsure.  I was intrigued by many of the things that I didn't associate with scammers.  Google didn't really answer my questions, so I came here.  I also found sellmytimeshare, which google says is legit.

Before, I thought the reward outweighed the risk, clearly I was wrong.  Thanks fellas.   

Users who are viewing this thread