What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Boogaloo Movement (1 Viewer)

mcintyre1

Footballguy
The FBI confirmed today that two men associated with the online Boogaloo movement (another good article by Bellingcat delving into more of their history) are behind the shootings of two Oakland Federal Building officers (killing one) and several Santa Cruz County Sheriff's deputies (also killing one) 8 days later.

Federal officer shooting suspects Steven Carrillo, Robert Justus 'came to Oakland to kill cops,' FBI says

Carrillo is an active duty Air Force police officer and used a "ghost gun" made from separately purchased parts and assembled from scratch, having no serial number. Carrillo wore a ballistic vest bearing a patch belonging to the Boogaloo movement and, after having been shot in the leg, wrote in blood the word "Boog" and two phrases associated with the movement on the hood of a car. 

As noted in the Bellingcat article above, some Boogaloo affiliated men were spotted early on at the protests around the 3rd Precinct in Minneapolis, but there have been no publicly acknowledged arrests related to that. Three men were arrested by the FBI in Nevada while traveling to more protests after a confidential informant tipped them off. The three men were also military vets like Carrillo. Additionally, two more men were arrested in Columbia, SC while wearing Hawaiian shirts and other flags/items.

For all of the talk about "Antifa" stoking violence across the country, we've seen a lot more provable activity from this modernized form of anti-government right-wing extremists. Hopefully this stops before things get worse.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ned
Yeah, this is being woefully under reported and needs to be dragged out into the light. 

I'm also incredibly curious about the black men found hanging from trees recently...a rush to rule these as suicides.  Uh huh......

mcintyre1 said:
For all of the talk about "Antifa" stoking violence across the country, we've seen a lot more provable activity from this modernized form of anti-government right-wing extremists. Hopefully this stops before things get worse.
How do you know they weren’t Antifa masquerading as Boogaloos?  :tinfoilhat:

Seriously though, all these fringe groups can’t be a significant presence nationwide, can they? IMO, there are probably just a handful physically present at key protests, with much of their damage being done electronically by threatening rumors/rhetoric.

Seriously though, all these fringe groups can’t be a significant presence nationwide, can they? IMO, there are probably just a handful physically present at key protests, with much of their damage being done electronically by threatening rumors/rhetoric.
Was anyone wearing a deadpool tshirt?  :lmao:

In all seriousness, it is hard to gauge exactly how many people are "involved" and would actually act on their claimed beliefs. Presumably it is a miniscule number compared to the rest of the people on the streets, which is a good thing. The bad/scary part is that it really doesn't take very many to do some terrible things if they get radicalized enough. McVeigh and a couple of guys managed the Oklahoma City bombing, for example. According to reporting I've seen on Facebook groups related to the movement, there are something like 45,000 total "members" -- but surely most of those are people who would never really do anything except talk #### on the Internet.

In all seriousness, it is hard to gauge exactly how many people are "involved" and would actually act on their claimed beliefs. Presumably it is a miniscule number compared to the rest of the people on the streets, which is a good thing. The bad/scary part is that it really doesn't take very many to do some terrible things if they get radicalized enough. McVeigh and a couple of guys managed the Oklahoma City bombing, for example. According to reporting I've seen on Facebook groups related to the movement, there are something like 45,000 total "members" -- but surely most of those are people who would never really do anything except talk #### on the Internet.
Yeah, there’s always gonna be a few motivated nuts in the world. I just wonder if more harm than good is done by advertising the beliefs of fringe groups like the bugaloos, antifa, proud boys, etc.

Just making them equivalent feels like it is legitimizing right wing messaging. There is essentially no mention of antifa outside of right wing sources, and I believe it was the FBI that said there was no evidence of antifa at any of the protests. Still waiting for something that is not just projection from every right winger. No, the terrorists are not the guys who invade a courthouse with confederate flags and AR-15s, it is also not these right wing guys trying to kill cops, it is actually this group over there <points to an imaginary boogeyman>.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a bunch of "boog boys" and are on several pages with the culture. AMA. 

NO, they're generally not supremacist any more than most BLM folks are rioters out to kill cops. 

The core "Boogaloo" crowd are generally strongly pro 2A constitutional libertarians who oppose authoritarianism. Most true boogaloo crowd are behind the anti police brutality protests. 

Like any movement, once it grows you have fringe idiots that co-opt it and act in a manner outside the core principles. 

The left media is keen to focus on isolated incidents by those types to paint the group as radical alt-right nazis. It couldn't be farther from the truth. 

There are definitely offshoots that are bad actors though. 

Their name is actually a riff of that meme.

I hear they wear Hawaiian shirts as part of their identity, which is nice. It makes it easier to spot them in a crowd, and certainly easier to aim at if they're walking around in a bright red Thomas Magnum style Hawaiian shirt.
What about the big fat party animals?

I know a bunch of "boog boys" and are on several pages with the culture. AMA. 

NO, they're generally not supremacist any more than most BLM folks are rioters out to kill cops. 

The core "Boogaloo" crowd are generally strongly pro 2A constitutional libertarians who oppose authoritarianism. Most true boogaloo crowd are behind the anti police brutality protests. 

Like any movement, once it grows you have fringe idiots that co-opt it and act in a manner outside the core principles. 

The left media is keen to focus on isolated incidents by those types to paint the group as radical alt-right nazis. It couldn't be farther from the truth. 

There are definitely offshoots that are bad actors though. 
My understanding is that the movement has to do with a second civil war aka "Civil War 2: Electric Boogalo".  Its not clear to me if they are actively trying to make that a reality (via instigating race riots, etc) or just be ready when it happens (basically heavily armed preppers). 

My assumption is the former at its core, but I imagine the movement/culture has been adopted by the latter, who have much greater numbers.  Hypothetically, lets say 500 people nation-wide are actively working to start CW2, and 50k who are sympathetic to the rhetoric and are down with LARPing.

ETA: i believe the core principles are pro-CW2, anti-federalism, and nationalism.  Basically QANON stuff.  Anti media, anti deep state.  Not racist.

From what I have seen, they are incels with a slightly more clever moniker.
Some might be. Same could be said for BLM types. There's a range of folks in every established movement.  

The ones I know are happily married dudes you'd prob never guess were boog types had you met them at a bar. :shrug:  

My understanding is that the movement has to do with a second civil war aka "Civil War 2: Electric Boogalo".  Its not clear to me if they are actively trying to make that a reality (via instigating race riots, etc) or just be ready when it happens (basically heavily armed preppers). 

My assumption is the former at its core, but I imagine the movement/culture has been adopted by the latter, who have much greater numbers.  Hypothetically, lets say 500 people nation-wide are actively working to start CW2, and 50k who are sympathetic to the rhetoric and are down with LARPing.

ETA: i believe the core principles are pro-CW2, anti-federalism, and nationalism.  Basically QANON stuff.  Anti media, anti deep state.  Not racist.
Again I can only speak to what I've seen between my buddies and on the groups: 

The "trying to incite civil war" is not true outside of shtick. LOTS of jokes about "Alphabet boys" (ATF/FBI/CIA), and being ready when it "kicks off", but at their core the "boog bois" I know are fiercely patriotic, and want a country that follows the constitution with small unobtrusive government. 

Preparedness for "The big igloo / The big luau", however, Is indeed a core component. These guys mention of ruby ridge or Waco generally isn't an endorsement of Bundy or Koresh as much an indictment of federal overreach. 

Privacy, patriotism, constitutional rights for all (not just 2a), small government, preparedness/independence are the core virtues of the movement. 

Again, not to say there aren't fringe bad actors who are looking for an excuse to attack cops, or are racists... just like BLM. It sucks but it happens. That's not what most are about though... at all. True Boog types are 100% behind BLM. 

Their name is actually a riff of that meme.

I hear they wear Hawaiian shirts as part of their identity, which is nice. It makes it easier to spot them in a crowd, and certainly easier to aim at if they're walking around in a bright red Thomas Magnum style Hawaiian shirt.
Great, wearing a Hawaiian shirt is going to get people harassed now?

Brilliant.

I'm far more worried about the larger BLM and ANTIFA terrorist groups
The next step in this dance is where others ask for your evidence that BLM or Antifa are terrorists, or that Antifa is larger, right?
Frankly, I'd prefer if we just ignore him. He's already filled up both of those other threads with whatever he has to say about them. This one isn't about those groups.

State of Michigan Court records indicate that at least some of the 13 men arrested for plotting to kidnap Michigan Governor and overthrow government are associated with the "Boogaloo" movement

4. The “Wolverine Watchmen” is a militia group who recruited members using a social media platform, FaceBook, since November 2019. Once recruited, members communicated via a secure, encrypted messaging platform. Members of Wolverine Watchmen periodically met for “field training exercises” (FTXs) on private property in remote areas where they engaged in firearms training and tactical drills to prepare for the “boogaloo,” a terms referencing a violent uprising against the government or impending politically-motivated civil war. Joseph Morrison and Pete Musico are founding members of the Wolverine Watchmen. Joseph Morrison is considered Wolverine Watchmen’s “Commander” and is known by the online moniker “Boogaloo Bunyan.”
The group participated in regular "tactical training" at a remote location, attempted to identify home addresses of police officers to target them, and worked as a team to surveil the vacation home of the Governor with the intention of kidnapping and storming the state Capitol building.

Another brilliant insight. :thumbup:
I am

in the last 3 months Antifa/BLM has been involved in protests/looting/rioting nationwide that has ended up in the hundreds of millions in damages and dozens if not hundreds killed and many more hurt

I'm on the side that says watch and stop ALL those hate groups - we don't need them

Stealthycat said:
I am

in the last 3 months Antifa/BLM has been involved in protests/looting/rioting nationwide that has ended up in the hundreds of millions in damages and dozens if not hundreds killed and many more hurt

I'm on the side that says watch and stop ALL those hate groups - we don't need them
When Antifa/BLM burns and loots things, the media gushes over their braveness and exercise of free speech, and emphasize with their plight.  It is almost like a parent gushing over their baby praising it no matter what it does.   Oh every once in a while they go a little bit overboard and put some bullets in the back of police officers heads, but we can overlook those minor flaws.  

The media reports on everyone looting/rioting (last I heard protests were still legal although this admin would do it's best to outlaw those too) whether they're right or left. Any loss of life including police officers is reprehensible.  As far as putting bullets into police, please cite your source on this.  I see too many recited social media stories which haven't been verified as true.

Dropping some whataboutism about Antifa and BLM right now seems pretty classless.

Especially when the only reason these two organizations are boogeyman is because of certain outlets.

There's a surprising lack of court cases to back up this fear. 

Dropping some whataboutism about Antifa and BLM right now seems pretty classless.

Especially when the only reason these two organizations are boogeyman is because of certain outlets.

There's a surprising lack of court cases to back up this fear. 
Not that surprising to me. Antifa isn't an actual organization, just a loose collection of anarchists.  BLM is a decentralized political and social movement rather than a structured organization per se and no one entity or person speaks for all of BLM or all black people.

From the Protest thread:

Charges: Boogaloo Bois fired on Minneapolis police precinct, shouted 'Justice for Floyd'

Charges: Boogaloo Bois fired on Minneapolis police precinct, shouted 'Justice for Floyd'

Feds say Ivan Harrison Hunter helped burn and loot the Third Precinct building as part of a coordinated attack from the far-right group trying to ignite an American civil war. 

In the wake of protests following the May 25 killing of George Floyd, a member of the “Boogaloo Bois” opened fire on Minneapolis Police Third Precinct with an AK-47-style gun and screamed “Justice for Floyd” as he ran away, according to a federal complaint made public Friday.

A sworn affidavit by the FBI underlying the complaint reveals new details about a far-right anti-government group’s coordinated role in the violence that roiled through civil unrest over Floyd’s death while in police custody.

Ivan Harrison Hunter, a 26-year-old from Boerne, Texas, is charged with one count of interstate travel to incite a riot for his alleged role in ramping up violence during the protests in Minneapolis on May 27 and 28. According to charges, Hunter, wearing a skull mask and tactical gear, shot 13 rounds at the south Minneapolis police headquarters while people were inside. He also looted and helped set the building ablaze, according to the complaint, which was filed Monday under seal.

Unrest flared throughout Minneapolis following Floyd’s death, which was captured on a bystander’s cellphone video, causing Gov. Tim Walz to activate the Minnesota National Guard. As police clashed with protesters, Hunter and other members of the Boogaloo Bois discussed in private Facebook messages their plans to travel to Minneapolis and rally at the Cub Foods across from the third precinct, according to federal court documents. One of the people Hunter coordinated with posted publicly to social media: “Lock and load boys. Boog flags are in the air, and the national network is going off,” the complaint states.

Two hours after the police precinct was set on fire, Hunter texted with another Boogaloo member in California, a man named Steven Carrillo.

“Go for police buildings,” Hunter told Carrillo, according to charging documents.

“I did better lol,” he replied. A few hours earlier, Carrillo had killed a Federal Protective Services Officer in Oakland, Calif., according to criminal charges filed against him in California.

On June 1, Hunter asked Carrillo for money, explaining he needed to “be in the woods for a bit,” and Carrillo sent him $200 via a cash app.

Five days later, Carrillo shot and killed a sheriff’s deputy in Santa Cruz when authorities tried to arrest him, according to charges filed in California. Authorities say he then stole a car and wrote “Boog” on the hood “in what appeared to be his own blood.”

Brags on social media

A couple of days later, during police protests Austin, Texas, police pulled over a truck after seeing three men in tactical gear and carrying guns drive away in it. Hunter, in the front passenger seat, wore six loaded banana magazines for an AK-47-style assault rifle on his tactical vest, according federal authorities. The two other men had AR-15 magazines affixed to their vests. The officers found an AK-47-style rifle and two AR-15 rifles on the rear seat of the vehicle, a pistol next to the driver’s seat and another pistol in the center console.

Hunter denied he owned any of the weapons found in the vehicle. He did, according to the complaint, volunteer he was the leader of the Boogaloo Bois in South Texas and that he was present in Minneapolis when the Third Precinct was set on fire. Police seized the guns and let Hunter and the others go.

Hunter had bragged about his role in the Minneapolis riots on Facebook, publicly proclaiming, “I helped the community burn down that police station” and “I didn’t’ protest peacefully Dude ... Want something to change? Start risking felonies for what is good.”

“The BLM protesters in Minneapolis loved me [sic] fireteam and I,” he wrote on June 11. According to the complaint, “fire team” is a reference to a group he started with Carrillo “that responds with violence if the police try to take their guns away.”

“Hunter also referred to himself as a ‘terrorist,’ ” the complaint states.

A confidential informant told police that Hunter planned to “go down shooting” if authorities closed in. He didn’t. They arrested him without incident in San Antonio, Texas this week and he made his first court appearance Thursday.

Hunter is the third member of the Boogaloo Bois, a loose-knit group intent on igniting a second American civil war, to be charged in Minneapolis as a result of the unrest that followed Floyd’s death.

Michael Robert Solomon and Benjamin Ryan Teeter were indicted in September with conspiracy to provide material support for a foreign terrorist organization.

per a post above there have been hundreds of deaths in protests this year?   

it was 27 on 8/26/20 (my birthday!)

did I miss an atrocity in the last 8 weeks?

Users who are viewing this thread