What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Congratulations, Papa Matt Gaetz! (1 Viewer)

McBokonon

Footballguy
Matt Gaetz introduced his son, Nestor, to the world today via Twitter to prove to Democrats that Republicans absolutely do raise children of color. 

Gaetz adopted Nestor, here from Cuba (legally, he is quick to tell us,) six years ago but kept it a secret until he needed to score political points today, which is perfectly normal. Gaetz would have been around 31 when he adopted the then 12-year-old Nestor. 

Not wanting to spend time away from his son, Gaetz brought him on as a page though concealing his identity by referring to him as "local student." and also referred to him as his "helper" in this video. He's very proud of his son, obviously, but didn't want to acknowledge their relationship for some reason I'm sure he'll think of soon.

Trump hater Katie Hill weighs in

Katie Hill

@KatieHill4CA

·

1h

Also he was never “hiding” his son. He was trying to protect him from the crap that comes from being a politician’s kid, esp after what Nestor had been through, esp in this political climate. Now that Nestor is grown he’s made his own choice to enter the spotlight. Good for them.

Katie Hill

@KatieHill4CA

·

1hMany of you know

@mattgaetz

& I have an unlikely friendship. I can’t stand a lot of his beliefs but he’s been there for me when others haven’t. He talks about Nestor more than anything, has done so much for his son & is truly a proud dad. This #freenestor thing is bull####. Stop.

Matt Gaetz introduced his son, Nestor, to the world today via Twitter to prove to Democrats that Republicans absolutely do raise children of color. 

Gaetz adopted Nestor, here from Cuba (legally, he is quick to tell us,) six years ago but kept it a secret until he needed to score political points today, which is perfectly normal. Gaetz would have been around 31 when he adopted the then 12-year-old Nestor. 

Not wanting to spend time away from his son, Gaetz brought him on as a page though concealing his identity by referring to him as "local student." and also referred to him as his "helper" in this video. He's very proud of his son, obviously, but didn't want to acknowledge their relationship for some reason I'm sure he'll think of soon.
What Democrats have been saying that Republicans don't raise children of color?

Very strange.

ImpeachedClownPresident* @InsaneClownPrez

Jun 18 @RepMattGaetz

Wait... he was dating Nestor's sister then he adopted her brother and kept it secret??? I'm out, this is all too Florida Man for me.

Here's the story:
Nestor is the brother of Gaetz's ex-girlfriend. They took him in after his mother died. 
Gaetz never adopted him, but Nestor says he raised him as a son (though refers to him as Matt)

Given that Gaetz apparently had a teen boy living with him with no blood or legal connection, it is not surprising that he wasn't broadcasting it while Nestor was a minor. And who knows what the situation is with the ex and her family. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump hater Katie Hill weighs in

Katie Hill

@KatieHill4CA

·

1h

Also he was never “hiding” his son. He was trying to protect him from the crap that comes from being a politician’s kid, esp after what Nestor had been through, esp in this political climate. Now that Nestor is grown he’s made his own choice to enter the spotlight. Good for them.

Katie Hill

@KatieHill4CA

·

1hMany of you know

@mattgaetz

& I have an unlikely friendship. I can’t stand a lot of his beliefs but he’s been there for me when others haven’t. He talks about Nestor more than anything, has done so much for his son & is truly a proud dad. This #freenestor thing is bull####. Stop.
Yikes. Makes this thread and some of the posts in it all the more horrible.

Mystery Achiever said:
Here's the story:
Nestor is the brother of Gaetz's ex-girlfriend. They took him in after his mother died. 
Gaetz never adopted him, but Nestor says he raised him as a son (though refers to him as Matt)

Given that Gaetz apparently had a teen boy living with him with no blood or legal connection, it is not surprising that he wasn't broadcasting it while Nestor was a minor. And who knows what the situation is with the ex and her family. 
So is this Matt's story? 

You say "they" took him in. So you also said ex-girlfriend. So they took him in and she left? 

I've had lunch with Matt, not a fan.

I don’t know Matt Gaetz at all...is the assumption by the left that he’s molesting or molested the kid?  I see a lot of innuendo.

I don’t know Matt Gaetz at all...is the assumption by the left that he’s molesting or molested the kid?  I see a lot of innuendo.
It does seem like left-leaning people are making assumptions about their relationship.

I am a right-leaning person and my assumption was that Gaetz was afraid that he would lose the votes of some of his more traditionally conservative constituents.

BoobyLayne is the left?
lol, oh great it’s game time

I said left leaning people.  Why don’t you read the comments from the posters in this thread...which is what/who I’m addressing.

is bobbylane left leaning?  Is he on this board?  It wasn’t just him...can you read?

Actually that was him, lol...I read his quote.  

Whatever, like most threads, garbage.
You come in here accusing the left of insinuating that Gaetz is a molestor. You get told that no, that's not really a thing. Your response is to quote one poster as proof. You get called out in that and you call the thread garbage. 

You come in here accusing the left of insinuating that Gaetz is a molestor. You get told that no, that's not really a thing. Your response is to quote one poster as proof. You get called out in that and you call the thread garbage. 
Yah, I did say left, I understand that was broad and leaves opportunity for confusion.  My bad.  I didn’t mean the nation or the Democratic Party, I meant the people relevant to the topic here that are participating on this message board.

As someone who doesn’t know squat about Matt Gaetz the sum conclusion is pretty evident that a number of posters here, who typically are left leaning, are very suspicious.  I quoted the most transparent one.  If ya’ll just want to say that the suspicion is nothing along the lines of what bobbylane is saying well then ok...sure?

Roy L Fewks said:
It does seem like left-leaning people are making assumptions about their relationship.

I am a right-leaning person and my assumption was that Gaetz was afraid that he would lose the votes of some of his more traditionally conservative constituents.
With how Republicans are treated in DC right now I just figured it's him protecting his child.  I'd do the same.

the moops said:
One poster in this thread is more than enough of that tripe.  Despicable, and I hope that poster is banned for a long time.

As far as to the aspersions to his motives do we really think he adopted this child and kept him secret anticipating this reveal?  Really?  Good grief, people.

This thread is the sludge at the bottom of the garbage pile.  Way, way below acceptable standards.

Yes, he and girlfriend took him in and they subsequently broke up.  There was at least some time Nestor wasn't living with him.I haven't read enough to know if he lives with him now or how much the time was split among families over the last seven years.
https://people.com/politics/matt-gaetz-tells-story-boy-he-raised-as-a-son/

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/06/19/matt-gaetz-describes-himself-as-single-step-parent-to-nestor-galban/
This whole thing is really weird. Gaetz dated this kid’s sister. They apparently were raising him together (I think). Gaetz and the sister broke up. From there it just gets really murky and weird. 

This whole thing is really weird. Gaetz dated this kid’s sister. They apparently were raising him together (I think). Gaetz and the sister broke up. From there it just gets really murky and weird. 
:shrug:

Life is messy.  By all appearances this child is happy and well adjusted.  Does anything else really matter?

:shrug:

Life is messy.  By all appearances this child is happy and well adjusted.  Does anything else really matter?
I agree with this sentiment. But then I don’t. Gaetz is a tricky guy to nail down, I sometimes see redeeming qualities and sometimes going against the gop grain, but then I see the shenanigans and the fealty and think he’s just another opportunistic politician. All that aside, it’s easy to think “what if my neighbor, a single guy in his mid 30s, always had a teenage kid that wasn’t related to him staying at his house?” That’s unusual, but I’m going to err on the side of Gaetz saw the kid needed someone to lean on and filled the void. 
They can’t all be pedos, right? (Not inferring sides here)

the moops said:
Ok, take out the disgusting comment by BobbyLane if you want.  What does "gets really weird" insinuate?  In reference to a 31 year old male adopting a teenage boy.  What is so weird?

Sand said:

With how Republicans are treated in DC right now I just figured it's him protecting his child. I'd do the same.
If he was so concerned about how Republicans are treated, why did he suddenly abandon that concern and thrust his "child" and their nontraditional relationship into the public eye?

He was just protecting his child....except that he wasn't.

So where are we here?  What a trainwreck.  I'm personally no fan of Matt Gaetz.  But he's been accused of being a child molester once above and lots of insinuation, at best, in many other posts.  I didn't realize we had so many folks here who are only in favor of adoption in a "traditional family setting".  If I misread the room, my apologies for interrupting your reading of Franklin Graham, please carry on.  If he's done something wrong then crucify him for it.  I'll be the first to be for throwing him in prison with the most sadistic of the bunch.  But what's being driven at above is the most reprehensible offense one could commit, and I don't see anyone offering facts or even stories suggesting that something like that occurred.  Some of the same folks who I suspect don't care for President Trump's tone are pretty aggressive in here not so subtly alleging a heinous criminal situation without any facts at all.  

I didn't realize we had so many folks here who are only in favor of adoption in a "traditional family setting".
If by "traditional"... I don't think anyone cares if Gaetz is married or not.  Heck I don't think anyone would care if Gaetz was gay and married to a man, except for his own political side might not be happy with that.

*is he even legally adopted?  (I really don't know)

If by "traditional"... I don't think anyone cares if Gaetz is married or not.  Heck I don't think anyone would care if Gaetz was gay and married to a man, except for his own political side might not be happy with that.

*is he even legally adopted?  (I really don't know)
I don't really know either.  It just seems a little creepy for people to insinuate he's a child molester with no more evidence than their political distaste for him.  Again, I agree it's not a typical situation.  There are lots of atypical situations though and I don't think we assume the worst about any of those.

Users who are viewing this thread