What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chuba Hubbard, CAR (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Anthony Treash ranks Oklahoma State redshirt junior RB Chuba Hubbard third among tailbacks for the 2020 season.

The only tailbacks that rank ahead of Hubbard (6'1/207) on Treash's list are Clemson RB Travis Etienne and Alabama's Najee Harris. What all three have in common -- other than they're really good at football -- is that all three were expected to leave to the NFL. Treash notes that Hubbard showed big-time playmaking ability, and that his 15 runs of 30-plus yards were four more than any other tailback. "He's easily a top-three returning running back," writes Treash, "and he will undoubtedly be highly coveted by NFL teams come April 2021." We can't disagree.

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 15, 2020, 2:43 PM ET

MORE

Oklahoma State redshirt sophomore RB Chuba Hubbard is the only player in the FBS with at least 1,000 yards rushing on the season.

Hubbard's accomplishment is made more impressive by the fact that he is not even one of the handful of RBs who has played seven games this year. Hubbard (6'1/207) has only played six games thus far, as most players have. Hubbard's volume is in large part because his 27 attempts per game leads the country, but he is also second in yards per carry (6.75) among players with at least 100 carries. This is not just a stat-padding effort, Hubbard is really ripping teams apart.

SOURCE: CFB Stats

Oct 14, 2019, 8:13 PM ET

Dane Brugler of The Athletic ranks Oklahoma State redshirt junior RB Chuba Hubbard third among tailbacks eligible for the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Hubbard comes in only behind Penn State's Journey Brown and Clemson's Travis Etienne. The tailback has been immensely productive in his time with the Cowboys, and Brugler raves about his acceleration, but does note that his vision can run "hot and cold." He also has some concerns about the tailback's ball security; noting that his rate of fumbling on one of every 55.2 touches is not ideal. "There is no question that Hubbard benefits from the Oklahoma State offensive scheme, and scouts want to see improved vision, ball security and blocking in 2020," Brugler writes in his summary. "But his straight-line burst to clear lanes and create poor pursuit angles has NFL teams interested in his next-level services."

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 11, 2020, 10:34 AM ET

MORE

Oklahoma State redshirt junior RB Chuba Hubbard rushed for 93 yards and a touchdown on 27 carries in Saturday's 16-7 win over Tulsa.

Hubbard (6'0/208) wasn't quite able to bust a monster dash in this one -- though he came close to breaking one on several occasions -- but showed off persistence and tenacity in bulldogging his way to almost 100 yards on the ground. The star redshirt junior's three-yard touchdown rush to open the fourth quarter gave the Cowboys a 10-7 lead which they would not relinquish through to the end of the contest. Hubbard is one of the best running backs in the country and a potential Heisman contender. He put up a sparkling 2,040 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns last season. West Virginia shows next on Oklahoma State's schedule.

Sep 19, 2020, 3:41 PM ET

Oklahoma State redshirt junior RB Chuba Hubbard rushed for 101 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries in Saturday's 27-13 win against West Virginia.

Hubbard (6'0/208) hasn’t yet gotten rolling like he was last fall – when he ran for 2,040 yards and 21 touchdowns – but he hasn’t been helped much by a sputtering passing attack. QB Spencer Sanders struggled in the opener before getting injured, and Oklahoma State has been forced to use true freshman QB Shane Illingworth ever since. Expect Hubbard to get back on track in a big way against the lousy Kansas Jayhawk run defense next week.

Sep 26, 2020, 8:25 PM ET

Oklahoma State redshirt junior RB Chuba Hubbard rushed for 145 yards and two touchdowns in Saturday's 47-7 win over Kansas. 

The Chuba of old is back. Hubbard (6'0/208) struggled in the opener against Tulsa, rushing for only 93 yards on 3.3 YPC. He looked a bit more like himself in rushing for 101 yards on 4.6 YPC against West Virginia last week. But today we got our first look at vintage Hubbard, sans an uber-explosive run (long: 28). Hubbard will benefit from Spencer Sanders potentially returning to the lineup after the bye.

Oct 3, 2020, 7:35 PM ET

Oklahoma State redshirt junior RB Chuba Hubbard (lower body) has opted out of the team's remaining games in order to begin preparations for the 2021 NFL Draft.

Hubbard (6'0/208) had not appeared in a game since November 21 due to an apparent lower body injury, and now he has decided to begin preparing for the next level. While limited by injury down the stretch, the redshirt junior rushed for 625 yards and five touchdowns this season. Hubbard was elite in 2019, as he racked up 2,094 yards and 21 touchdowns on the ground while also catching 23 passes for another 198 yards. Hubbard's comparative lack of production in 2020 says more about Oklahoma State's collective offensive struggles than it does him "falling off." He projects to be a Day 2 selection in next spring's NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Yahoo Sports

Dec 12, 2020, 2:39 PM ET

I'm not seeing compelling evidence (yet) to suggest he isn't underranked by the FF community right now. Even though it is February. Will he be available around 1.10 or even early 2nd of rookie drafts? And will we look back and say he should have gone earlier?

I’m not sure. He has some Ronald Jones to his game. Seems like a classic late first pick that really depends on landing spot. 

Ilov80s said:
What in the world happened to him this year? 
Differing accounts say not as great a year due to regression to the mean or a pulled hamstring. Depends what you put stock in. His dominator rating this year, according to PFF, was 30%, down from his 40% 2019. But 30%, according to them, is still really good.

I'd be stunned if people don't seriously look at those numbers and he doesn't start to go in the late first/early second. I guess it depends how you rate the receivers in this class. But he and Jefferson are mocked late second/early third right now, so it is what it is. I think it'll change.

Faust posted a link to this in the 2021 rookie thread but here is the excerpt for Chuba:

83. Chuba Hubbard RB (Oklahoma State)

He's an ideal zone back who continually looks for the cutback lane. Don't think he's much of an in-between the tackles guy. Gains his yardage with his vision rather than elite athleticism. I don't see a difference maker who'd be a stud in any offense. He's not going to move the pile at all. Didn't see him used as a receiver a whole lot in the offense. When he "gets low" through the trenches, he appears to bury his head and shoulders rather than bringing his center of gravity down. He also looks horrendous in pass pro. Fumbling appears to be an issue as well.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2021/02/2021-nfl-draft-big-board-mike-taglieres-top-100-prospects/

Is he really that bad? Seems like 2020 was abbreviated due to injury but based on 2019 he was one of the top prospects so I am wondering what gives. 

I’ve heard Tevin Coleman comps and that seems pretty accurate. Give him a lane and he’s got game tilting speed. Put obstacles in his way and he’s ineffective.

I’ve heard Tevin Coleman comps and that seems pretty accurate. Give him a lane and he’s got game tilting speed. Put obstacles in his way and he’s ineffective.
If somebody gives him playing time, I'd be happy with a Coleman level player at the beginning of the 2nd round in rookie drafts. If I need a RB and don't like the WRs more. 

Ilov80s said:
He reminds me of Jerrious Norwood.  Oddly, I would not be surprised if he is drafted by ATL.

Oh that’s a blast from the past. He has a couple exciting years as a kind of RB2 if I remember right.
Oh man. I was pretty invested in Norwood in dynasty. I remember being beside myself that 32 year old Warrick Dunn was doubling him up in carries while Norwood was doubling Dunn's YPC. Good times.

I don't think I've seen a prospect's value drop this much and hasn't been drafted yet.  If he was in last year's NFL draft I could see dynasty owners tripping over themselves to draft him.

Oh man. I was pretty invested in Norwood in dynasty. I remember being beside myself that 32 year old Warrick Dunn was doubling him up in carries while Norwood was doubling Dunn's YPC. Good times.
Yeah he always seemed right in the cusp of big things. 

I don't think I've seen a prospect's value drop this much and hasn't been drafted yet.  If he was in last year's NFL draft I could see dynasty owners tripping over themselves to draft him.
Yeah I assume his thought process was 2020 class was stacked at RB and this would be lighter. However we see there are no guarantees and despite a lesser class, he may still far farther than he would have in 2020. 

Lache Seastrunk, maybe? Or was he still considered a top prospect up until the NFL draft?

Lache Seastrunk, maybe? Or was he still considered a top prospect up until the NFL draft?
Seastrunk was more made up by the fantasy community, not the NFL.  He was drafted in the 6th round of the NFL draft, so he had no draft capital.  I expect Hubbard to go much earlier than that.

Seastrunk was more made up by the fantasy community, not the NFL.  He was drafted in the 6th round of the NFL draft, so he had no draft capital.  I expect Hubbard to go much earlier than that.
How much earlier in the nfl draft will he go? 4th? 5th?

How much earlier in the nfl draft will he go? 4th? 5th?
I'm thinking 4th round.  One thing of note, I believe I read somewhere that only 4 RBs in the last 17 drafted in the 4th round or later have done anything in the NFL worth talking about.  Looks like NFL draft capital matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking 4th round.  One thing of note, I believe I read somewhere that only 4 RBs in the last 17 drafted in the 4th round or later have done anything in the NFL worth talking about.  Looks like NFL draft capital matters.
What do you think the hit rate is for second or third rounders? Materially different? I'd be curious to find that out, but wouldn't know really where to begin but Google, I guess. 

What do you think the hit rate is for second or third rounders? Materially different? I'd be curious to find that out, but wouldn't know really where to begin but Google, I guess. 
I'm sure a lot higher.  Seems that when you get to 4th round and beyond the bottom drops out of success.

I'm sure a lot higher.  Seems that when you get to 4th round and beyond the bottom drops out of success.
I did indeed Google it and looked at Faust's article. I found this resource valuable, too. Success does seem to dramatically drop off around the 4th round, it seems, though it certainly is not an absolute bar to entry. 

This little study was done with fantasy in mind.

https://www.ffastronauts.com/post/draft-capital-running-backs

Anyone think that the kerfuffle with his coach didn't help Hubbard this year? Something about the One America News Network and Hubbard having a problem with Gundy?

Nah, just read about it. They reconciled, though who knows? COVID and the events of the summer had everyone on edge. Sounds like Chuba's issue was his line and his health this year.

Anyone think that the kerfuffle with his coach didn't help Hubbard this year? Something about the One America News Network and Hubbard having a problem with Gundy?

Nah, just read about it. They reconciled, though who knows? COVID and the events of the summer had everyone on edge. Sounds like Chuba's issue was his line and his health this year.
Agreed. His 2019 tape is amazing!  He's a gigantic play waiting to happen.  The issue with his coach had to play a part in usage and attitude coupled with COVID and line issues. He's a going to be a great value in the 2nd half of the 1st round of dynasty drafts this year. It's a rough year for RBs in general so finding value is going to be tough.

He's a going to be a great value in the 2nd half of the 1st round of dynasty drafts this year. It's a rough year for RBs in general so finding value is going to be tough.
That's a really ambitious spot for him. He's slated in most mocks in the twenties overall. I can see faults in his game, too. Lack of strength, bouncing into his own line, etc. I'm not sure he's a first round pick.

That's a really ambitious spot for him. He's slated in most mocks in the twenties overall. I can see faults in his game, too. Lack of strength, bouncing into his own line, etc. I'm not sure he's a first round pick.
You are not sure, because he isn’t. He is a 5th round pick for NFL draft in my view. Straight speed, but no ability to run between tackles. 

You are not sure, because he isn’t. He is a 5th round pick for NFL draft in my view. Straight speed, but no ability to run between tackles. 
I meant in dynasty drafts. He's clearly not going in the first round of the NFL Draft and he's not going in the first round of dynasty drafts, either. I think you're misreading what I wrote or I didn't communicate it well.

I meant in dynasty drafts. He's clearly not going in the first round of the NFL Draft and he's not going in the first round of dynasty drafts, either. I think you're misreading what I wrote or I didn't communicate it well.
Sorry. My bad. He’s not an earlier pick in nfl draft than 5. In my opinion. Which makes him off my board and possibly a mid to late third round in dynasty rookie drafts. 

I'll venture early 3rd to late 2nd NFL draft.  This really is a bad year for RBs IMO, and obviously landing spot is everything, but that 2019 tape will get him drafted. I'll take a flyer on him in a year like this where we really don't know anything after the first 6-7 picks in fantasy drafts. 

Fantasy mocks won't mean much until the NFL draft.  2019 tape will be what matters this year. 

Users who are viewing this thread