What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tax Question for Clarification of IRA Contributions (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
Quick tax question for tax professionals or anyone that can help.  The "covered by retirement plan at work" is a little confusing and would like to clarify so I'll know for sure.

This from the IRS website: 

Can I contribute to an IRA if I participate in a retirement plan at work?

You can contribute to a traditional or Roth IRA whether or not you participate in another retirement plan through your employer or business. However, you might not be able to deduct all of your traditional IRA contributions if you or your spouse participates in another retirement plan at work. Roth IRA contributions might be limited if your income exceeds a certain level.
I have a 401k that I contribute to at work (and they match at a certain percentage).  My wife is not employed.  

I have two separate IRA accounts that are not associated with my work in any way.  I have contributed to one of them in the 2019 tax year, for instance.  

Can I claim these contributions to this separate (not associated with work) as deductions for the 2019 tax year?

When doing taxes, I get to the part "are you covered by a retirement plan at work" and not sure what to put.  Since I am covered by a plan at work, I'm thinking that my contributions to my other, separate IRA account are not deductible.    

Is this correct or can I claim contributions since the IRA account has nothing to do with my employer's plan?  

Thank you in advance.

Quick tax question for tax professionals or anyone that can help.  The "covered by retirement plan at work" is a little confusing and would like to clarify so I'll know for sure.

This from the IRS website: 

I have a 401k that I contribute to at work (and they match at a certain percentage).  My wife is not employed.  

I have two separate IRA accounts that are not associated with my work in any way.  I have contributed to one of them in the 2019 tax year, for instance.  

Can I claim these contributions to this separate (not associated with work) as deductions for the 2019 tax year?

When doing taxes, I get to the part "are you covered by a retirement plan at work" and not sure what to put.  Since I am covered by a plan at work, I'm thinking that my contributions to my other, separate IRA account are not deductible.    

Is this correct or can I claim contributions since the IRA account has nothing to do with my employer's plan?  

Thank you in advance.
It depends on how much money you make.  You may still be able to deduct the IRA contributions if your income is below the thresehold.

It depends on how much money you make.  You may still be able to deduct the IRA contributions if your income is below the thresehold.
Thanks.  I don't qualify for those deductions as the AGI is above the threshold.  To be clear, if I didn't have the work 401k then all of my contributions would be fully deductible?  

Thanks.  I don't qualify for those deductions as the AGI is above the threshold.  To be clear, if I didn't have the work 401k then all of my contributions would be fully deductible?  
Yes, if you did not contribute to your 401k then your IRA contributions would be fully deductible.

Users who are viewing this thread