What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Skyroam...anyone used or own one? (1 Viewer)

gocuse3

Footballguy
Can anyone tell me how reliable this is. I’m thinking of getting one just for kids to use in car during road trips. When you buy the day pass is it truly unlimited or do they throttle it down after a certain amount is used? Anything hidden to know?

Skyroam is not yet a household word, so a lot of people might be skipping over this OP.

Skyroam is a mobile WiFi hotspot service. You buy or rent a device, sign up for a service plan, and you can take the device wherever.

No experience with Skyroam myself ... sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The daypass is modeled to provide the best possible experience to Skyroam customers, so the vast majority of users only get the fastest speeds. If there is high usage within 24-hours, the network speed will slow down to a lighter 2G speed, which is great for e-mail, web surfing, social media, apps, messaging, and WiFi calling. Data always resets with the next global daypass.  

Note: Skyroam is not optimized for video services like YouTube, Netflix or other heavy streaming activities.

I have one that I bought for my Switzerland train trip (would have been back a week ago). I bought 11 days or so of unlimited data day passes and tried it out for an entire day here in FL. Didn’t notice any throttling and I streamed a ####load of stuff just to see if it would happen (I guess I might not have hit their limit). I bought one rather than rented it just bc I might have other uses for it or I could lend it to friends to use out of country. Only thing I can suggest if you buy one is try to keep current on the firmware. 

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO you are better off getting an unlimited data plan from ATT or Verizon and using your phone as a hotspot.
For my ATT unlimited plan, they have a disclaimer that after 30GB they may slow it down to like 128K (which is probably 2G speed I guess).  But it did come in handy at the beach because the wifi was spotty.  Used it for a week and didn't hit the threshold (but wasn't streaming video on it).

The daypass is modeled to provide the best possible experience to Skyroam customers, so the vast majority of users only get the fastest speeds. If there is high usage within 24-hours, the network speed will slow down to a lighter 2G speed, which is great for e-mail, web surfing, social media, apps, messaging, and WiFi calling. Data always resets with the next global daypass.  

Note: Skyroam is not optimized for video services like YouTube, Netflix or other heavy streaming activities.
The monthly model ($99 a month) says speed will be throttled after 20GB.  I couldn't find a day limit, not sure if it would also be 20GB for a day or if it would be lower.

I don't think I would do it either, you have hardware costs on the front end to consider as well.

Verizon sells the wi fi key and all you need is a plan to go with it, same as skynet.  i looked into it, but i wouldn’t use it as much as i would need to get my money’s worth.  when i travel to italy, we do the mi fi thing and like it, but the culture and pricing is much different there.

I have one that I bought for my Switzerland train trip (would have been back a week ago). I bought 11 days or so of unlimited data day passes and tried it out for an entire day here in FL. Didn’t notice any throttling and I streamed a ####load of stuff just to see if it would happen (I guess I might not have hit their limit). I bought one rather than rented it just bc I might have other uses for it or I could lend it to friends to use out of country. Only thing I can suggest if you buy one is try to keep current on the firmware. 
This is what I was hoping. I just want something that can stream video in the car on two or three iPads without being throttled. I have Verizon unlimited and they used to have the unlimited hotspot then they changed it to after 15 they throttle and when they throttle it becomes terrible. 

This is what I was hoping. I just want something that can stream video in the car on two or three iPads without being throttled. I have Verizon unlimited and they used to have the unlimited hotspot then they changed it to after 15 they throttle and when they throttle it becomes terrible. 
I looked at AT&T’s cost for the same amount of time for an international plan and the Skyroam puck was a better deal fwiw. 

Users who are viewing this thread