What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

6.30.20 Your Guess On Chances The NFL Gets In 10 Regular Season Games (2 Viewers)

"What percent chance do you think it is that NFL will get at least 10 regular season games in?"

• 100%

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • 90%

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • 80%

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • 70%

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • 60%

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 50%

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • 40%

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 30%

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • 20%

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • 10%

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • 0%

Votes: 29 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this administration has provided the right recommendations and I don't think there has been much in the way of leadership from the top down to even acknowledging the dire nature of the issue, let alone attempt to act proactively, enforce any rational policy, etc.

Cherry picked for sure, but (with all credit to reddit's u/guillaume21), I think the below is a good encapsulation of the kind of leadership you are getting in this crisis. 
I sure hope not to turn this political because we all know how those things go but it has certainly been a situation where I don't think anyone has been particularly well-prepared.  Governments closest resembling our structure, included.  Lots of mistakes all around.  We could probably point towards issues with bad advice from health advisors, leadership and all levels. Our own citizens don't help when they don't follow the recommendations (even when those recommendations were not perfect).  I think at one point recently they said Kentucky and North Dakota were the only two states that adhered to all health org recommendations. The situation has now certainly been heavily influenced by political agenda. 

When I see things like the state of New York hired 30,000 people to do contact tracing and ran PSA non-stop saying how important it was...and then 2 months later says they are not allowed to ask if a Covid+ person attended any protests or rallies....I don't know how to lend credibility at hardly any level. But I won't point a finger at any particular one, either. 

If I had a better way to summarize it, I would say it wasn't an ultimate test of teamwork that has failed miserably at every junction. As a veteran of what, IMO, consider to be the most prosperous, achieving "can do" and "has done" nation in recorder history, It's sad.

And for sure. Please keep the political angle out. We have an entire forum dedicated to that topic and folks are discussing it there. 

I voted 80%. The amount of money with the huge amount of television revenue and advertising available to a captive audience looking for hope and distractions coupled with the greed of the owners and lifestyles pf pro players make it too big to fail . Football alredy is played with much equipment, many playewrs already use shields so I see no reason they cannot safely adapt a shield/mask scenario. Might need small adjustments like more time between plays, helmet communications to allow spread out huddles possibly. 

I just need some positivity about now. I was going for 100% but read a few posts and down graded. 50% was a viable choice but wanted to take a stand. I have watched a few games of TBT The Basketball Tournament and it showed passion from players inherent from the game. This is one thing I wondered about being lost, considering baseball since coming up relativley soon. Will the crack of the bat on  bomb be as dramatic wothout the inherent crowd joy, or dissappointment? Watching an Encarcion homerun in a White Sox scrimmage gives hope the athletic achievement will bring drama, and the TBT gives hope the athletes will perform for the competitive nature of sports. Go Bears !!!  

Hearing some names of #NFL players with serious asthma concerns who may opt out of the season — including one elite level guy. Haven’t heard any final decisions yet, but it’s pretty clear some players are seriously weighing sitting out 2020.

— Charles Robinson (@CharlesRobinson) July 10, 2020

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding player safety. The only talk is about how safe it is to play. What is the risk to players if they don't play? The NFL would presumably be providing a somewhat safe environment. If these players are off for the year, I'm gonna assume they aren't going to be just sheltering in place at home. It's possible for some not playing may be more dangerous. 

I'm concerned about the NBA and MLB. In both situations there is gonna be an asterix put next to the season. I feel like the margin of error is small. They may quickly decide this season is just not worth it. If they shut down, this would certainly spook the NFL players and I would fear a cascade affect much like the first time that sports ended operations.

The key to a successful season will be having fast result testing available.

I think they should shorten the season and not start until after the election. I think there will be far too many distractions in addition to the virus prior to this.

Regarding player safety. The only talk is about how safe it is to play. What is the risk to players if they don't play? The NFL would presumably be providing a somewhat safe environment. If these players are off for the year, I'm gonna assume they aren't going to be just sheltering in place at home. It's possible for some not playing may be more dangerous. 

I'm concerned about the NBA and MLB. In both situations there is gonna be an asterix put next to the season. I feel like the margin of error is small. They may quickly decide this season is just not worth it. If they shut down, this would certainly spook the NFL players and I would fear a cascade affect much like the first time that sports ended operations.

The key to a successful season will be having fast result testing available.

I think they should shorten the season and not start until after the election. I think there will be far too many distractions in addition to the virus prior to this.
Yeah I've had thoughts about the competitive integrity. If the season is an asterisk and goes rocky, would NFL games be like the pro bowl? I sort of doubt it but I do wonder how many more *business decisions* are going to be happening on the field if the whole thing is an asterisk and everyone knows it. Wish I had more optimism about all this.

Buster Posey, probably the most popular player on the Giants, opts out of the MLB season because of health concerns for his newborn twins.

Ann Killion again:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/annkillion/article/Buster-Posey-s-choice-underscores-hidden-15400028.php

Every single one of the roughly 2,500 or so individuals being asked to participate in a bogus, truncated baseball season have their own personal decisions to make.

Because everyone has someone in their lives they are worried about. These are humans, just like you and me. Maybe their situations are not as dramatic as the twin babies you have been yearning to adopt for years suddenly arriving.

But maybe it is a child with asthma, a mother with multiple sclerosis, a brother who is recovering from cancer treatment, a grandparent who is in the highest risk category. Every trip to the ballpark, masked and sanitized, is another game of roulette. And when games start, and teams are traveling? It’s a high-risk endeavor that baseball players are being asked to participate in, but the collateral damage could be to the people they love the most.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Texans-JJ-Watt-decry-COVID-19-test-NFL-camps-15413485.php

Texans star defensive end J.J. Watt decried the lack of clarity from the league as the NFL and NFL Players Association continue to negotiate on safety guidelines, testing and contractual concerns surrounding training camp and the regular season.

The NFL Management Council and NFLPA executive committee still have several unresolved issues, including on testing for COVID-19, opt-out clauses for players who may choose not to play due to health concerns, reporting dates and whether there will be any preseason games.

The three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year has participated in several NFLPA calls that have been utilized to share the latest information with players on what to expect during a time of uncertainty caused by this global health crisis. The NFLPA held a similar call with player agents on Wednesday where NFLPA leadership, including executive director DeMaurice Smith and general counsel Tom DePaso, fielded questions and told the players' representatives that there were no definitive conclusions on any of the outstanding issues about testing, training camp and the preseason.

"In the interest of having everyone on the same page in terms of what we know and don’t know at this time, here are a few things I’ve learned being on four NFLPA calls in the last two weeks with hundreds of other players," Watt wrote on social media. "Keep in mind our rookies are scheduled to report in 48 hrs."

Watt listed several unanswered questions, including:

"Here's what we know and don't know...

• We want to play
  • We want to be as safe as possible
  • We have not received a single valid IDER plan (Infections Disease Emergency Response) from any team or the league.
  • We don't know if there are preseason games or not
  • We don't know if there will be daily testing, semi-daily testing, etc.
  • We don't know how a potential positive Covid test would affect contracts, roster spots, etc.
  • Nothing has been agreed upon regarding what training camp will actually look like and how the "ramp up" period will work
  • We want to play
Anyone want to lower their estimate?

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-lunch-led-to-rams-andrew-whitworth-and-his-family-getting-coronavirus-i-realized-how-contagious-this-really-is-210618586.html

Whitworth says a family member recently went to lunch with a friend, and a couple days later, that family member started to feel unwell and ended up taking a COVID-19 test.

"Next thing we know, she had it,” Whitworth said. “A couple days later, my wife and I had it. A couple days after that, my kids had it. So we were about 7-for-7 at that point, and then unfortunately, we had just visited my wife's family, and we were traveling with them as well, and her mom and dad both got it.

"Luckily for us … we got [my father-in-law] home about four or five days ago and he's home with us now and we're very blessed to have him and him be OK,” Whitworth said. “But it was definitely a scary thing and I realized how contagious this really is. It doesn't take much, and it can spread like wildfire.” 

Tretter, an offensive lineman, also brought up the personal stake he has in this matter, not just as a union president but also as a person with a high body mass index, which has led to complications in some infected with the coronavirus. He stressed the importance of “risk mitigation.”

“I’m a center, so I’m living it — this time more than any, I have a very dangerous job, not just what normal football is like but with what’s going on in the world,” Tretter said. “My job, especially, has gotten more dangerous.” 

“[That’s] what’s going to be going on if sick individuals are involved in the offensive or defensive line or any player,” Tretter said. “Those are the really tough decisions that we continue to ask on to try to get those protocols right, and that’s why the health safety aspect is so important to this. 

“Because we all are at risk, our families are at risk, and different positions are maybe even more so at risk. Combining that with the CDC guidelines of what underlying conditions make you more vulnerable — with high body-mass index — now you’re looking at a player who is more exposed and has an underlying condition, those are the questions guys have to understand.”

I guess we can go based on what you believe rather than what scientific fact tells us. Sounds about right
I was phrasing it on your question - you asked “do you believe”.

the FACT is that younger & healthier people (like athlete Freddy Freeman) are getting it more severely.

Nice to know you were just trolling though. I gave you an honest response to what was clearly a disingenuous question.

now you’ll be on ignore. 👎

I was phrasing it on your question - you asked “do you believe”.

the FACT is that younger & healthier people (like athlete Freddy Freeman) are getting it more severely.

Nice to know you were just trolling though. I gave you an honest response to what was clearly a disingenuous question.

now you’ll be on ignore. 👎
Can you provide evidence that younger and healthier people are getting it more severely? Do you have statistics to back that claim up? Or are you just making baseless claims because of the very very very small number of cases that actually happen to be severe and get over reported? 

104 fever is really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things COVID related, but if that’s your definition of severe reaction, then we should close down the sports during flu season because one of my children and I both had a 105 deg fever with the flu this last winter

Edit: I see what you do, post everywhere you can all frantic, but when someone disagrees with you put them on ignore. Better to speak in echo chambers only I guess. You must have half the forum on ignore, because from what I can tell you seem to put people on ignore a lot

Then he says it’s a fact. Waiting for the proof there

His definition of a severe reaction is a guy who has to catch his breath eating lunch and a guy with a high fever. That’s a pretty low bar

Not really, just trying to determine why he feels a high fever he dropped his expectation to 10%. That seems like a low bar to set. Then he said it’s a FACT that it’s affecting young people seriously, which that is the exact opposite of what the facts say. 
No he didn't. He said he believed it after you asked him if he believed it. You need to stop. 

I realize this is baseball, but the subject of travel & regulations varying state to state, county to county & how it might effect the season came up before. 

so on that note, it’s interesting that the Toronto Blue Jays can’t play in their home stadium. 

While that’s another country, it sure seems like this sort of situation can and will impact the NFL. 

makes me wonder if they’ll eventually try for an NBA-style “bubble” style solution. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29488579/blue-jays-not-allowed-play-games-canada?platform=amp

I realize this is baseball, but the subject of travel & regulations varying state to state, county to county & how it might effect the season came up before. 

so on that note, it’s interesting that the Toronto Blue Jays can’t play in their home stadium. 

While that’s another country, it sure seems like this sort of situation can and will impact the NFL. 

makes me wonder if they’ll eventually try for an NBA-style “bubble” style solution. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29488579/blue-jays-not-allowed-play-games-canada?platform=amp
There is no country to country travel in the NFL this year.

There is no country to country travel in the NFL this year.
Obviously.  

I said county to county. There’s no R In that word.  Health depts & regulations vary by county within the state. I work directly with the health dept in 2 counties in CA, and they each have different requirements, for example. 

I also very clearly said the Blue Jays story was about going to another country, but that there’s a parallel since NFL teams travel state to state, where state governors have different rules in place. I went to some lengths to make that abundantly clear, saying “While that’s another country, it sure seems like this sort of situation can and will impact the NFL”

that was me, drawing parallel with what’s happening to the Blue Jays, which seems worth acknowledging since it is relevant to the NFL & this topic. By saying “this sort of situation”, I was further acknowledging that it’s not an apples to apples comparison, which I thought required no additional explanation. 

So...again, since traveling between states has a similar issue, as has been discussed previously in this topic, I wonder if the NFL might eventually resign themselves to a “NBA-bubble-type” situation so that they can have a season.

because if not, the logistics seem untenable. 

Comparing MLB to NFL seems like a reach IMO. The structure of their seasons are vastly different. Takes the discussion a bit off topic

Obviously.  

I said county to county. There’s no R In that word.  Health depts & regulations vary by county within the state. I work directly with the health dept in 2 counties in CA, and they each have different requirements, for example. 

I also very clearly said the Blue Jays story was about going to another country, but that there’s a parallel since NFL teams travel state to state, where state governors have different rules in place. I went to some lengths to make that abundantly clear, saying “While that’s another country, it sure seems like this sort of situation can and will impact the NFL”

that was me, drawing parallel with what’s happening to the Blue Jays, which seems worth acknowledging since it is relevant to the NFL & this topic. By saying “this sort of situation”, I was further acknowledging that it’s not an apples to apples comparison, which I thought required no additional explanation. 

So...again, since traveling between states has a similar issue, as has been discussed previously in this topic, I wonder if the NFL might eventually resign themselves to a “NBA-bubble-type” situation so that they can have a season.

because if not, the logistics seem untenable. 
Country to country travel has no parallels to state to state and county to county travel. The article you linked was about country to country issues and you said it “sure seems this type of situation can and will impact the NF”. Country to country travel issues will not apply to the NFL in 2020.

The subject of state guidelines about large gatherings I think is certainly worthy of discussion. The NFL will easily navigate the issue I’m sure but I’m all for discussing it. The Blue Jays not being able to travel back and forth to Canada will not have any impact on that discussion. If the NY gives the Yankees opponents trouble traveling up there, then yes maybe there could be an issue.

Yes, a fever of 104 in an adult is a very serious, severe reaction. Complications can include brain damage.
@CalBear This is 100% false and commonly spread misinformation. I’d recommend some reading.

Brain damage doesn’t occur until approx 108 deg. 

a fever of 104 is actually HEALTHY for an infection

https://www.seattlechildrens.org/conditions/a-z/fever-myths-versus-facts/

ETA: this site actually says a fever of 105 or 106 is harmless 

https://www.mysanitas.com/en/blog/myths-vs-facts/lets-put-fever-perspective-fever-myths-and-facts

another one that says fevers are harmless. Reason being- it’s not the infection causing the fever, rather the body’s response in an effort to fight it off. Your body knows how high is too high

harmless!! But let’s talk about how fevers are going to end the NFL in 2020, by all means. 

Country to country travel has no parallels to state to state and county to county travel. The article you linked was about country to country issues and you said it “sure seems this type of situation can and will impact the NF”. Country to country travel issues will not apply to the NFL in 2020.

The subject of state guidelines about large gatherings I think is certainly worthy of discussion. The NFL will easily navigate the issue I’m sure but I’m all for discussing it. The Blue Jays not being able to travel back and forth to Canada will not have any impact on that discussion. If the NY gives the Yankees opponents trouble traveling up there, then yes maybe there could be an issue.
Not trying to jump into the middle of things here, but I thought a lot of the state to state (and back home again) travel restrictions were waived if the travel was for business purposes?

@CalBear This is 100% false and commonly spread misinformation. I’d recommend some reading.

https://www.mysanitas.com/en/blog/myths-vs-facts/lets-put-fever-perspective-fever-myths-and-facts

another one that says fevers are harmless. Reason being- it’s not the infection causing the fever, rather the body’s response in an effort to fight it off. Your body knows how high is too high

harmless!! But let’s talk about how fevers are going to end the NFL in 2020, by all means. 

Mayo Clinic disagrees.

"Call your doctor if your temperature is 103 F (39.4 C) or higher. "

Might help if you didn’t link sites referring to children’s fevers which are quite different from adults.

Might help if you didn’t link sites referring to children’s fevers which are quite different from adults.
Because quoting adult-based sites would invalidate 90% of what he posted. And apparently he REALLY wants football at any cost. Well, at any cost to the players that is.

Please keep this to 100% NFL. Obviously this is a huge issue and we have two forums with tons of pages of threads and talk about all the different angles to this.

For this forum, please keep it like everything else here and 100% Football. Thanks.

If you have actual evidence to back that up I’d be happy to continue in PM

Mayo Clinic disagrees.

"Call your doctor if your temperature is 103 F (39.4 C) or higher. "
Yes, but I miss where it says that causes brain damage or that you should go to the ED. We can continue the conversation in PM if you have actual evidence that invalidates what I’ve said, and I can share the evidence that supports it. Thanks

Still predicting the NFL give up their concern of taping plays and making billions (yeah I think that high) by airing the VR footage live. They're the only sports league I can think of to not offer VR.

Idk the business side and one would need to to make this decision. I just think this could overcome less fans in the stadium and sure bet ads in the VR apps.

None of the reports coming out in the past few days give me any confidence that the league has seriously worked at this and knows what they’re doing. The chance of any football being played at all is getting less every day IMO.

None of the reports coming out in the past few days give me any confidence that the league has seriously worked at this and knows what they’re doing. The chance of any football being played at all is getting less every day IMO.
I wouldn't mistake the owners not being able to reach final agreements with the Union on every issue as meaning nobody has worked on this or knows what they're doing. Everyone involved with the league is going to be affected by way less revenue coming in. It's complicated and there are things that have to be negotiated. It's not a pleasant part of the game but it's just how it works. I'm super thankful they were able to get the CBA done earlier this year before all the Covid stuff. 

The answer for this is like every other question affecting the NFL schedule right now: anything can happen.

I'm honestly thankful the Saints refunded my tickets. It's a big part of my life but this was just a huge stressful set of decision making for me. The players are facing the same decisions we all are about work and risk to family. I have no idea how we get from A to B easily in terms of teams reaching agreement in a safe environment and then also maintaining it through the whole year. The NFL should cut to a 12 game conference only schedule, push back the season to start like in November, skip byes and then have an expanded playoff format. But we'll see, they may make it through a full season, they really may, but it will just be by luck. Anything can happen. 50/50.

I give it 30% based solely on the premise that teams will be isolated (bubbled) for the majority of the season.  As of now, UIL in Texas has not made an announcement about pushing back the the start of the season.  In fact, athletes are coming to schools for physicals and are still participating in summer conditioning programs.  It is hard to fathom the NFL not playing games if high schools in Texas and Florida are.  I believe it is only a matter of time however,  before both states push fall sports to the spring.  If Colleges follow suit (looking more and more likely) then I see the NFL also moving to the spring.  Too much money on the table to entirely cancel a season.  More likely they push play back.  Does anyone think that if the NFL moves the 2020 season to next spring, that they will re-evaluate their decision not to play regular season games in Mexico and England?

I give it 30% based solely on the premise that teams will be isolated (bubbled) for the majority of the season.  As of now, UIL in Texas has not made an announcement about pushing back the the start of the season.  In fact, athletes are coming to schools for physicals and are still participating in summer conditioning programs.  It is hard to fathom the NFL not playing games if high schools in Texas and Florida are.  I believe it is only a matter of time however,  before both states push fall sports to the spring.  If Colleges follow suit (looking more and more likely) then I see the NFL also moving to the spring.  Too much money on the table to entirely cancel a season.  More likely they push play back.  Does anyone think that if the NFL moves the 2020 season to next spring, that they will re-evaluate their decision not to play regular season games in Mexico and England?
I think there is very little chance of the NFL moving the 2020 season to spring 2021. That would be too disruptive IMO:

• Playing 2 seasons at least partially in one league year from perspective of contracts, TV deals, etc.
  • Playing 2 regular seasons (mostly?) within the span of one calendar year - not compatible with supposed focus on player safety, players who get hurt in the spring season less likely to be ready for fall season, less time for new coaches and players to adjust to new teams, etc.
  • Having to reschedule so many activities: Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, free agency, draft, OTAs, mini-camps, training camp.
  • Presumably having to lay off many NFL and NFL franchise employees for months between now and spring season due to delayed revenue.
Universities and high schools are chartered with more than being a business. The NFL is not. The NFL can make decisions that are business-driven without having to worry as much about protecting young people entrusted to their care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread