What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty League. Godwin for Evans and Diontae Johnson (1 Viewer)

gradin123

Footballguy
I have been offered Evans and Diontae Johnson for Chris Godwin in a dynasty league. Should I take it?

My other receivers are DJ Moore, DK Metcalf, Reagor, Preston Williams, Crowder

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been offered Evans and Diontae Johnson for Chris Godwin in a dynasty league. Should I take it?

My other receivers are DJ Moore, DK Metcalf, Reagor, Preston Williams, Crowder
Depends on your eval of Johnson.  I have Evans and Godwin not far apart so I would probably take the Evans side as it is essentially a free Johnson. 

Depends on your eval of Johnson.  I have Evans and Godwin not far apart so I would probably take the Evans side as it is essentially a free Johnson
That's what she said!!!!

My assessment is the same, I've got the Buc WRs rated fairly close (slight advantage to Godwin), but I am a Diontae believer and think it is worth making the deal. Gives you some really good depth to work with at the WR position.

fightingillini said:
I would take the trade.  Godwin and Evans are close in rankings, so Johnson is essentially a throw in, a free shot to see if he breaks out.
The problem for me is a I dont really see Godwin and Evans as even in a dynasty perspective. Godwin is 2 and half years younger and Evans has taken a lot of wear and tear on his body. I dont think Evans is on the decline yet but he may be just a year or two from that. 

Also, even for this year I like Godwin better who I think is a better fit for Brady. Also, Evans is coming off a weird year, 3 monster games and very average the rest of the season.

For me it comes down to how much I like Johnson. Is it enough to make up the difference? That is tough. The hype machine is on overdrive for him right now but in Pittsburgh I see a pretty crowded receiving corp especially with the drafting of Claypool. I also dont believe Big Ben can stay healthy at this point and even if he does I really doubt he will ever come close to being the 5000 yard guy again. I do think Johnson has talent especially in creating separation but I view him as the more of the Jamison Crowder or Jarvis Landry type than these Antonio Brown comparisons. Longterm is Pittsburgh going to walk away from Juju after this season? It is possible but you have to believe that will happen for Johnson to see a way bigger role.

It is really a tough call for me especially as I already have some depth at WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
@gradin123  When it's a really close, tough decision, I always take the gamble.  It's risk vs. reward.  What's the risk you are taking: that Godwin outperforms Evans or maybe even outperforms both Evans and Johnson?  How likely is that and by how much could he outperform, etc.?  Now, what's the reward: Any scenario where Evans outperforms or is even relatively close to Godwin is a win by itself, giving you a "free Johson" LOL  If Johnson hits, you open up so many options (even if Evans under-performs) for yourself.  I would gamble on this risk vs. reward all day long.  Good Luck

The problem for me is a I dont really see Godwin and Evans as even in a dynasty perspective. Godwin is 2 and half years younger and Evans has taken a lot of wear and tear on his body. I dont think Evans is on the decline yet but he may be just a year or two from that. 

Also, even for this year I like Godwin better who I think is a better fit for Brady. Also, Evans is coming off a weird year, 3 monster games and very average the rest of the season.
I look at dynasty teams in 3 year windows.  No one has a clue as to what will happen in 2023.  So IMO I don't value the 2.5 year age difference that much, since I think Evans and Godwin will both be solid WRs in the next 3 years.  I also factor in that Evans has produced for years.  Will Godwin do the same?  I think so, but 2019 could have been a career year for Godwin.

If you think Godwin is worth that much more than Evans, then I can see that it's a tougher call for you.  I disagree and I would do the trade. 

I look at dynasty teams in 3 year windows.  No one has a clue as to what will happen in 2023.  So IMO I don't value the 2.5 year age difference that much, since I think Evans and Godwin will both be solid WRs in the next 3 years.  I also factor in that Evans has produced for years.  Will Godwin do the same?  I think so, but 2019 could have been a career year for Godwin.

If you think Godwin is worth that much more than Evans, then I can see that it's a tougher call for you.  I disagree and I would do the trade. 
I think this is a good statement.  Too many owners will evaluate on a much longer window and that can cause many problems.  I even go a bit less and look at 2 yr primarily with a 3rd year tie break if necessary.  Just too many things change to predict anything further than 2 yrs in my opinion.  It helps you get cheap older guys that are still relevant because many don't want them because of their 4 or 5 yr window.  It's a great way to always stay competitive. 

Users who are viewing this thread