What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please Help - Shark Pool Demographic Questions (1 Viewer)

Your Most Important League Is

• Regular Draft (Basically Any Style That's Not Auction)

Votes: 179 80.3%
  • Auction

Votes: 44 19.7%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Another "Joe asking for Feedback" question.

Thanks for your help on these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets hope us IDP'ers can make a statement....
I'll be surprised if Dynasty IDP isn't the majority here. 

This really isn't about trying to rally support or statements. I'm mostly just interested in what folks here are interested in. 

I'll be surprised if Dynasty IDP isn't the majority here. 

This really isn't about trying to rally support or statements. I'm mostly just interested in what folks here are interested in. 
I know.  My statement was meant tongue in cheek with a little bit of hope.    I realize IDP is somewhat a nitch in the grand scheme of things but I wish the coverage was better.  It has diminished in quality over the last couple of years. 

My most important league is my work league, because beating people I see daily is vastly more important to me than beating people I see once or twice (or never) per year, even though I am in leagues that have 10x more money invested. I would guess most work leagues are a fairly common format/snake/redraft.

My most important league is my work league, because beating people I see daily is vastly more important to me than beating people I see once or twice (or never) per year, even though I am in leagues that have 10x more money invested. I would guess most work leagues are a fairly common format/snake/redraft.
I could definitely see this - it's probably true for me.

I've had decent success in the FFPC with my co-owners, but my greatest pleasures are the league where I compete against them (at a 20th of the cost) or the league I have been in for 20+ years with a bunch of my longtime friends that is for bragging rights only, no money. You can't put a price on those bragging rights.

Until training camp starts, this forum will skew towards dynasty players.
Yep. Going to need to bump this in August when (if?) football really starts to ramp up.

I chose non-auction as most important but that's only b/c auction seems far less prevalent so I have only 1 now. Auction is my preferred format, though.

Until training camp starts, this forum will skew towards dynasty players.
That's an interesting opinion. Not sure I agree there. For sure Dynasty players are engaged more year round. But it's almost July 4. Lots and lots of Redraft players start paying attention about now. 

That's an interesting opinion. Not sure I agree there. For sure Dynasty players are engaged more year round. But it's almost July 4. Lots and lots of Redraft players start paying attention about now. 
Oh, I’m not saying that the majority of users are interested in dynasty, just that it’s a higher percentage than it will be a month from now when people are actively prepping for their drafts. 

Attention could be lower just because people are not gathering as much in person to discuss things which could include fantasy football, as well as no confirmation the season will even be played. Normally July is when FF season starts, but this year is anything but normal. 

I have no data to say if it is actually lower, but I could foresee it for the reasons above. 

Attention could be lower just because people are not gathering as much in person to discuss things which could include fantasy football, as well as no confirmation the season will even be played. Normally July is when FF season starts, but this year is anything but normal. 

I have no data to say if it is actually lower, but I could foresee it for the reasons above. 
It's interesting for sure. And no truer words have been written lately than "this year is anything but normal."  It'll be fascinating to see how it goes. In some ways, interest is higher. Tons of people watched Tom Brady and Peyton Manning play golf with Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson. So in some ways, interest is higher. But in other ways, sports and hobbies can be squeezed out when much more important things come up. Not sure how it'll work out. We'll see. 

Dynasty has gotten more popular over the past few years, just take a look to see  how many different podcasts are available now pertaining to just dynasty then there was only a few years ago. 

Voted Dynasty IDP, but for years I was here all the time in just redraft leagues, so I don't want to skew the results. There are people here in the summer that just do redraft. Fascinating to me to hear the discussions going on in the offseason. Guess it was inevitable I'd wind up with a dynasty team because that's where the real pull of the offseason stuff comes in. I wouldn't trade my redraft teeth-cutting for anything, though. 

I had to vote redraft IDP. Because I like keeper IDP. With few year expiration. This way league doesn’t fall apart if turnover occurs. Had dynasties fall apart easily if a couple teams dominate. Maybe you could add few year keeper because I think that is a great balance between dynasty and redraft. Naturally holds leagues together. 

Dynasty has gotten more popular over the past few years, just take a look to see  how many different podcasts are available now pertaining to just dynasty then there was only a few years ago. 
Speaking of new Dynasty Podcasts, our Chad Parsons and Jordan McNamara are crushing it with the Footballguys Dynasty Show. Can get it wherever you get podcasts or here on the Audible page. https://subscribers.footballguys.com/podcast/

I can't believe Auction drafting is still so uncommon.

Best idea in the history of FF.  Best thing we ever did.

People don't know what they are missing.

How long has the SP been around? I started posting in 2003, but lurked for a while before that. I had the impression it was pretty new at the time.

Wow, fewer than 2% new users within the last 3 years. 

Gonna have to give away some free stuff (just make sure the old farts are eligible too, please 😛 ).

I would speculate that the reason it hasn't caught on is that so many FF players are casual - they are doing it to stay connected with friends, co-workers, etc., and an auction requires a different level of dedication to preparation and a lot more work on auction night - you can't just cross off names then pick the highest one on your list when it is your turn, you have to actively engage the whole time and, gasp, do math.

I think it is similar to why using bidding for free agents still hasn't completely taken over, though it is definitely increasing in popularity. It's another time where a casual user needs to think.

The more times an owner needs to "think", the more disadvantageous to a casual owner and the more likely the will lose interest.

I would speculate that the reason it hasn't caught on is that so many FF players are casual - they are doing it to stay connected with friends, co-workers, etc., and an auction requires a different level of dedication to preparation and a lot more work on auction night - you can't just cross off names then pick the highest one on your list when it is your turn, you have to actively engage the whole time and, gasp, do math.

I think it is similar to why using bidding for free agents still hasn't completely taken over, though it is definitely increasing in popularity. It's another time where a casual user needs to think.

The more times an owner needs to "think", the more disadvantageous to a casual owner and the more likely the will lose interest.
Agreed for sure. 

How long has the Shark Pool been here anyway?  I've been around since it was just a link in a magazine to get added info (cheatsheets.com).  Back in those days it was all about getting a magazine several months before the season started and having to deal with outdated info.  Then one year there was a magazine which had a way to get updated info online.  Mind blown!  Cheatsheets.com was just updated projections and it grew from there.  Forever changed fantasy football was!

I came here when the Huddle started charging people to use their message board. Can’t remember if that was 20+ years ago or slightly less.

By asking question 2 in the summer you are automatically going to get 0% or close in the “Barely use in summer” category. ;)

matuski said:

i play in more auctions than regular but i consider 2 of my regular drafts most important. most fun = auction drafts

matuski said:

Most of my new leagues have been auction. But the question is "which is your most important?" That has to be my 18 year dynasty. That was regular draft, as are the rookie drafts.

Most of my new leagues have been auction. But the question is "which is your most important?" That has to be my 18 year dynasty. That was regular draft, as are the rookie drafts.
I stopped doing multiple leagues several years ago.  I can't remember if my only remaining league started in 95 or 96.

We switched to auction around 2012/13.  Aside from it just being flat out more fun and "fair" on draft day... it seems to force the perrenial bottom feeders to prepare more, making the league more competitive.

I stopped doing multiple leagues several years ago.  I can't remember if my only remaining league started in 95 or 96.

We switched to auction around 2012/13.  Aside from it just being flat out more fun and "fair" on draft day... it seems to force the perrenial bottom feeders to prepare more, making the league more competitive.
Redraft I presume.

I'm in no redrafts this year, at least not yet. 

There's a really good chance I drop all but one league after this year. 

I know.  My statement was meant tongue in cheek with a little bit of hope.    I realize IDP is somewhat a nitch in the grand scheme of things but I wish the coverage was better.  It has diminished in quality over the last couple of years. 
Been playing IDP/Dynasty IDP since the mid 90's. Tried non IDP once one year and did not like it even though I won. Never again.

Users who are viewing this thread