What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Underrated Classic Alt Rock Bands (1 Viewer)

Are the Hoodoo Gurus considered underrated?
Mars Needs Guitars is one of my favorite albums from my college days. Fun, fun album.

Side note: In May, my son bought me a Cult “Sonic Temple” tshirt for my birthday. With the amount of compliments I’ve received from random people while wearing it, you’d think I was actually in the band. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pip's Invitation said:
I love Love Battery!

I’ll add Truly and Failure to the list.
I was coming here to post Truly.

Fast Stories...From Kid Coma is a great album that did not get the play it should have.  

In regards to Hum..."

On June 23, 2020, the band surprise-released their fifth studio album, entitled Inlet. "

Also Matt Talbot owns a bar The Loose Cobra with live performances and Sunday sit in's writer workshops  Tolono Illinois. Very cool place. He has a recording studio where great Blues band The Kilborn Alley blues Band has recorded at leat 1 album The Tolono Tapes. fyi 

Robert Forster gets a lot of well-deserved love for The Go-Betweens, but his solo effort, The Evangelist, is moving. If you love Nick Cave and Nick Drake, you will love this.

The Evangelist

Pandanus

Let Your Light In

From Ghost Town
He was great in Jackie Brown too
Just so you know, it took every last ounce of my Kung Google to work past the actor "Robert Forster" when trying to look up Robert Forster the musician/songwriter.

In regards to Hum..."

On June 23, 2020, the band surprise-released their fifth studio album, entitled Inlet. "

Also Matt Talbot owns a bar The Loose Cobra with live performances and Sunday sit in's writer workshops  Tolono Illinois. Very cool place. He has a recording studio where great Blues band The Kilborn Alley blues Band has recorded at leat 1 album The Tolono Tapes. fyi
Hum is one of those shoulda-been stories from the nineties, but never could quite get traction after their hit "Stars." That's okay, they were always a space-rock freakout anyway, which usually doesn't translate into commercial success. They're probably happy for the success that they had.

That said, their new album comes in package with a snazzy shirt for like sixty bucks or so. 

Not exactly sure the definition of Alternative Rock
Either am I but some solid suggestion in this thread for me to explore.

Alt Rock to me means bands like Siouxsie and Banshees, Violent Femmes, Husker Du, the Smiths, and They Might Be Giants -- all different expressions of alt rock from more punk to pop to quirky to goth/emocore to almost folksy. And exactly the reason why the "sound" of alt rock has really been difficult for me to pin down.

I believe grunge might have been considered alt rock but seems to stand on its own classification and is pretty distinct in and of itself. Then Indie rock kind of took over what "alt rock" was, at least to my ears, and starts to get muddled together in a big post-rock commercial/mainstream-sounding stew.

So for the knowledgeable in this thread -- how would you define Alternative Rock?

rockaction said:
Hum is one of those shoulda-been stories from the nineties, but never could quite get traction after their hit "Stars." That's okay, they were always a space-rock freakout anyway, which usually doesn't translate into commercial success. They're probably happy for the success that they had.

That said, their new album comes in package with a snazzy shirt for like sixty bucks or so. 
hmmm maybe I will get a alt fan in tee shirt exchange, wonder if they would appreiciate it autographed...love the marketing, guessing will sell about 50 or 100 at 3D level and whatever at digi level, guessing tour and merch sales will be footballguy appropriate however...cheddar on that bologna sammich if you get my drift...  

rockaction said:

So here is the album...are you footballguy enough to want the tee...hmmm...lol jk gb. Peace be well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zODNnOc4odQ

Users who are viewing this thread