What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vote on the new Washington Redskins name (1 Viewer)

Vote on these potential Washington Redskins names

• Braves

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Federals

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Red Tails

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Senators

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Warriors

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Hogs

Votes: 46 24.0%
  • Red Hawks

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Bravehearts

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
I think Red Tails for the Tuskegee Airmen is great.

I think keeping any name that begins with "red" is gonna make it hard to get into a new habit and move on, personally. For fans, commentators, and media. It's too similar when rolling off the tongue, a clean break would be tough imo

I would wager on the Warriors, as Snyder trademarked the name when the controvery initially started 

He owned the trademark from 2000-2004, but no longer does (not that that would prevent him from buying it from whoever has had it for the last few years) 

He owned the trademark from 2000-2004, but no longer does (not that that would prevent him from buying it from whoever has had it for the last few years) 
Interesting, Snyder's neighbor trademarked Washington Bravehearts back in 2013, not sure where things stand today with the Bravehearts option.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1824960-washington-bravehearts-name-trademarked-by-dan-snyders-neighbor#:~:text='Washington Bravehearts' Trademarked by Neighbor of Redskins Owner Dan Snyder,-Patrick Clarke Invalid&text=In what could be the,the name "Washington Bravehearts."

Interesting, Snyder's neighbor trademarked Washington Bravehearts back in 2013, not sure where things stand today with the Bravehearts option.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1824960-washington-bravehearts-name-trademarked-by-dan-snyders-neighbor#:~:text='Washington Bravehearts' Trademarked by Neighbor of Redskins Owner Dan Snyder,-Patrick Clarke Invalid&text=In what could be the,the name "Washington Bravehearts."
A racist and homophobic film produced by a racist man

Last edited by a moderator:
Warriors /thread

In the other thread a poster said to use the old yellow helmet except replace the "R" with a "W".  http://travelins.blogspot.com/2008/07/final-helmet-in-collection-i-hope.html

I wouldn't mind going back to this helmet - https://www.collectible-supplies.com/washington-redskins-1965-69-throwback-riddell-mini-helmet/
Considered a racist name as a Native American reference. Would have to get rid of all of the feathers off those logos and remove any Native American references. I believe there was a college that changed their name from Warriors due to it being called racist 

Considered a racist name as a Native American reference. Would have to get rid of all of the feathers off those logos and remove any Native American references. I believe there was a college that changed their name from Warriors due to it being called racist 
Warriors is legit. The Golden State Warriors have not received any pressure to change their name. This is a non-issue.

For crying out loud!!!!!

Warriors is legit. The Golden State Warriors have not received any pressure to change their name. This is a non-issue.

They dropped the native imagery though, focusing on the golden state part in the logo but keeping the name. Keeping the combo of the native american imagery AND the name warriors is considered a problem because it reinforces the negative stereotype of Native Americans as primarily violent savages like in a John Wayne movie or something, reducing their culture down to...war.

The Redskins>Warriors move would be a transparent attempt to just keep the same Native American theme alive, which all the concept art uniforms reinforces, and that combo seems like it won't be accepted either. 

They dropped the native imagery though, focusing on the golden state part in the logo but keeping the name. Keeping the combo of the native american imagery AND the name warriors is considered a problem because it reinforces the negative stereotype of Native Americans as primarily violent savages like in a John Wayne movie.

The Redskins>Warriors move would be a transparent attempt to just keep the same Native American theme alive and that combo seems like it won't be accepted either.
This.

the helmet with the R replaced with the W would still be racist because it paints native Americans as savage warriors

Same with any logo with an arrow/spear

They dropped the native imagery though, focusing on the golden state part in the logo but keeping the name. Keeping the combo of the native american imagery AND the name warriors is considered a problem because it reinforces the negative stereotype of Native Americans as primarily violent savages like in a John Wayne movie.

The Redskins>Warriors move would be a transparent attempt to just keep the same Native American theme alive and that combo seems like it won't be accepted either.
Native Americans should be proud for them to use it as a theme.  I agree Redskins is a bad name, but there are more honorable names to use as a Native American theme.

For crying out loud!!!!!
Yep. My thoughts exactly

I’ll plant my flag that whatever they decide won’t be good enough. You will never appease the mob. Unless maybe you rename the team the Mob. But maybe even then it’s racist to Russians, Italians, or any other nationality with historical mobs ties 

Native Americans should be proud for them to use it as a theme.  I agree Redskins is a bad name, but there are more honorable names to use as a Native American theme.
Most are. What “they” will do is find one Native American somewhere obscure who is offended and use that person to paint a picture that the name is racist

Most are. What “they” will do is find one Native American somewhere obscure who is offended and use that person to paint a picture that the name is racist
I never thought I would live in an America where so few people can have more of say than the majority.  All you have to do is say you are offended.  Now I will say that I've always thought the "Redskins" name was offensive.

I'll start by saying that it isn't anyone's place to decide if someone else should be "proud" or not, or whatever. You said a similar thing in the other thread. Weird thing to project so confidently.

I posted this in the other thread, but it pertains to you saying the thing about fixing this by picking a more "honorable" Native American-related name and calling it a day:

It's tough, a lot of the Native Americans I've seen actually speak out about this are not interested in being more appropriately "honored" like people seem to be suggesting. Even though what they propose isn't necessarily offensive like "Redskins", for many the goal is to not have their tribal cultures, all of which were victim to a brutal systematic genocide, appropriated for our entertainment. Even if the thought is in the right place in fixing this by "honoring" them correctly, many feel their historical culture is not fit to be a money-making mascot in a present-day capitalist society. I think we can respect that and find a new non-NA name, personally. The only way this works is if you bring a NA group in as an ownership partner so that they can benefit from their own culture's use and have a say, which won't happen.

I never thought I would live in an America where so few people can have more of say than the majority.  All you have to do is say you are offended.  Now I will say that I've always thought the "Redskins" name was offensive.
Well without a doubt it’s an offensive nickname. My bone to pick is with these other names that are considered racist but shouldn’t be. I read an article that said the KC Chiefs and Atlanta Braves should change their racist names... I feel like those names honor native Americans. Same as Warriors. Even if they do have Native American references to their logos (Minus the Cleveland Indians... that mascot however, iifc, was designed by a Native American...)

I'll start by saying that it isn't anyone's place to decide if someone else should be "proud" or not, or whatever. You said a similar thing in the other thread.

I posted this in the other thread, but it pertains to you saying the thing about fixing this by picking a more "honorable" Native American-related name and calling it a day:

It's tough, a lot of the Native Americans I've seen actually speak out about this are not interested in being more appropriately "honored" like people seems to be suggesting. Even though what they propose isn't necessarily offensive like "Redskins", for many the goal is to not have their tribal cultures, all of which were victim to a brutal systematic genocide, appropriated for our entertainment. Even if the thought is in the right place in fixing this by "honoring" them correctly, many feel their historical culture is not fit to be a money-making mascot in a present-day capitalist society. I think we can respect that and find a new non-NA name, personally. The only way this works is if you bring a NA group in as an ownership partner so that they can benefit from their own culture's use and have a say, which won't happen. 
I see nothing wrong with keeping a Native American theme.  NOTHING

Well without a doubt it’s an offensive nickname. My bone to pick is with these other names that are considered racist but shouldn’t be. I read an article that said the KC Chiefs and Atlanta Braves should change their racist names... I feel like those names honor native Americans. Same as Warriors. Even if they do have Native American references to their logos (Minus the Cleveland Indians... that mascot however, iifc, was designed by a Native American...)
I think people should exhale and quit being offended by everything.  Yes, the "Redskins" is offensive, but the way everything is going now, everything is offensive and it needs to stop.

I'll start by saying that it isn't anyone's place to decide if someone else should be "proud" or not, or whatever. You said a similar thing in the other thread. Weird thing to project so confidently.
Conversely, we also shouldn’t tell people what they should be offended over... which is out of control today 

Good for you. You aren't really the demographic that matters here though.
Weak.  We all have opinions on the subject now don't we?  I'd be willing to bet that "MOST" Native Americans have no problem with a sports team using their heritage as a theme.  It just needs to be done in an honorable way.

Washington Cherry Blossoms....I like it. So glad Jerry Jones and the Cowboys wouldn’t think of letting public opinion change the boys name. 

The Washington Washingtons, where the logo is just the picture of Washington from a quarter.

The Washington Please Don't Accuse Us of Racism Anymore, Oh God, Seriously We're Really Trying Here What More Do You Want From Us We'll Give You Whatever You Want Here Take The Keys to My Car We're Cool Now Right....s

The Borlaugs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

"Semi-Dwarf" wheat. Changed the world. Changed the way the world produced food. Has often been cited as saving billions from starvation on it's impact.

He was also an athlete. Not a notable one, but he played football and wrestled.

When Fed Ex field fills up, my guess is every person who walks or has walked into that stadium, has had someone in their life impacted positively by Borlaug. How many people can say that?

The NBA is talking about putting "Black Lives Matter" on it's courts. What about putting "Borlaug" on it's courts?

He died over a decade ago, but if he was alive, what would he name the Redskins? Do you not think he should have the right to name a team, any team or even all NFL teams after changing the entire world and saving countless souls from starvation?

No kid has a Norman Borlaug poster on their wall. They might have one of an athlete caught for drugs, rape, murder or bringing a gun to the airport.

Some of you guys talk about honoring "heroes" of the past. But really just the black ones. Someone will shout, what the flying #### does wheat have to do with the NFL? Upon which I'll ask what do WW2 pilots have to do with the NFL?

Norman Borlaug Matters.
Dwarf is offensive. Any man who created something so offensive shouldn’t have a team named after him

Go with something that truly represents DC...The Washington Deep Staters
The “deep state” doesn’t exist, they will say

How about Gridlock?
Promotes private car ownership which is bad and causes global warming, er, climate change

Just get back to real.

the WASHINGTON BULLETS
I’m told guns kill people

The Washington Washingtons, where the logo is just the picture of Washington from a quarter.
George Washington was a racist, remember?

The Washington Please Don't Accuse Us of Racism Anymore, Oh God, Seriously We're Really Trying Here What More Do You Want From Us We'll Give You Whatever You Want Here Take The Keys to My Car We're Cool Now Right....s
TLDR

Marquette University changed to Golden Eagles.

My elementary school was indian themed and changed the mascot maybe 10-15 years ago, so it is not like this is some modern woke thing. Just do wolves or something generic, not enough dog teams, plenty of cat teams. 

Users who are viewing this thread