What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hamilton on Disney (1 Viewer)

prosopis

Arizona Chupacabra
Anyone watching this today? It's hotter than a stolen tamale here in the southwest so I am going to watch this with my daughter. I am hoping my wife and son will join us. I am really excited they did this. I have really been wanting to see this but there was no way I would ever be able to. This gives some of us the opportunity who would not normally be able to see this, see it. I am really hoping it is the broadway production on the stage.

Anyone watching this today? It's hotter than a stolen tamale here in the southwest so I am going to watch this with my daughter. I am hoping my wife and son will join us. I am really excited they did this. I have really been wanting to see this but there was no way I would ever be able to. This gives some of us the opportunity who would not normally be able to see this, see it. I am really hoping it is the broadway production on the stage.
Watched it last night.  Loved it!

My old boss sent me to see it back in the day as a reward for our department hitting some quarterly targets. We had the worst seats in the house - middle of the Row, absolute last row in the balcony. Think it cost them $2,300 for 2 seats.

:lol:

Best show I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been to a few.

It is the broadway production. It was flawless except for the king of England drooling during his big number. 

It is the broadway production. It was flawless except for the king of England drooling during his big number. 
My 11 y.o. daughter’s favorite

🎵 
And when push comes to shove
I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love! 

🎶  

One day I was getting on her case about not doing a chore of hers. She spun around and walked away singing

Da da da dat da dat da da da da ya da
Da da dat dat da ya da!
Da da dat dat da…

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it live with my wife. I fully admit, I did not understand probably 3/4s of what was said/sung. It was the longest 2.5 hours of my life. I prayed for a light fixture to break loose and fall on my head, rendering me unconscious for 2 hours.
I'm gonna go ahead and guess you're not the target audience for my Desert Island 34 discs of hip hop, then. 

It's absolutely superlative musical theater.

I'm not a big fan of the genre, but everything about this show- story, characters, music, acting, staging, lighting, sets...just amazing. I saw this live a couple years ago after the original cast had left, knowing little other than the superlatives and for the price and ####ty uncomfortable seats, had somewhat low expectations. Even though like the previous poster, I didn't understand all the lyrics, I loved it start to finish. Just blown away.

Getting to watch it again with better more comfortable seats and the original cast...amazing.

Plan to soon.    My daughter who saw it on broadway loves it and listens to it on spotify constantly.   I honestly have no idea what's going on in half the songs.  Maybe seeing the performance in addition to hearing it will help. My ex watched it last night with said daugther and was in a similar state of confusion so I'm not getting my hopes up.   

Plan to soon.    My daughter who saw it on broadway loves it and listens to it on spotify constantly.   I honestly have no idea what's going on in half the songs.  Maybe seeing the performance in addition to hearing it will help. My ex watched it last night with said daugther and was in a similar state of confusion so I'm not getting my hopes up.   
Knowing the story going into it really helps.  My wife read the book and listened to the music before we saw it for the 1st time.  She told me a lot about the book and she would play the music when we were in the car.  I would have been lost without this.  We have seen it 5 times and we can't wait to see it in NYC.

Fantastic. Watched it last night and the production is first rate - felt like you were in the theater.  It's just long and you need to be committed.  The story is worth the time.  Saw it live (touring version in LA at the Pantages).  Concept is brilliant as is the talent with the original cast.  King brought some good humor.  Schuyler sisters singing - wow.  Definitely worth a focused night.

I loved it but agree that it is to long. I also think the prices they got for tickets was ridiculous. 

Loved how much they managed to do with a seemingly simple set. I agree the Schuyler sisters singing was fantastic.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess you're not the target audience for my Desert Island 34 discs of hip hop, then. 
I'd rather slam my junk between two bricks than listen to one disc of hip hop, yet alone 34. But my wife wanted to see it, and I like having relations, so I went. The show was a helluva lot longer than the relations...

Fwiw, I'm a typical male and I loved it.  I've seen it twice in theater and we already watched it on Disney+.  Do yourself a favor and watch this.  And I'm not a fan of rap, so don't let that bother you.

Watching now with my wife. I’ve never been a big Broadway guy - only a handful of shows have ever really wowed me. Can’t say this is one of those, but also can’t deny the creativity and intricate production. Brilliant but just not my thing.  

My 11 y.o. daughter’s favorite

🎵 
And when push comes to shove
I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love! 

🎶  

One day I was getting on her case about not doing a chore of hers. She spun around and walked away singing

Da da dat dat da ya da!
Da da dat dat da…
Lol

The king parts are probably my favorite.

Saw the original cast in February 2016. Watched this production and was blown away. Next best thing to actually being in the room where it happened. Highly recommend.

I saw this a while back when my family and I went to New York for vacation.  I went in semi-blind with low-to-moderate expectations and was blown away with how good it was.

I believe this is PG-13 and my wife was talking about wanting to watch it with our 5 and 8 year old daughters.  I questioned that judgement.  But on the scale of bad parenting, where would that rank?  I assume the rating is mostly questionable language?  How bad?  TIA.

I believe this is PG-13 and my wife was talking about wanting to watch it with our 5 and 8 year old daughters.  I questioned that judgement.  But on the scale of bad parenting, where would that rank?  I assume the rating is mostly questionable language?  How bad?  TIA.
I doubt your kids will even notice the limited bad language. The rest is just basic adult themes but nothing bad. Let it fly. 

Surprised my wife with tickets to this back in February. I thought it was incredible and couldn't wait to watch it again. It definitely delivers and it's great to see it even in some form with the original cast. 

One thing anyone who has seen it without the originals can tell you though, if it's not clear from watching this version, is that while Miranda is obviously a genius in how he was able to put this together, he's nowhere near the level of a performer on stage compared to the rest of the cast. The guy we saw in February blew him away but obviously Miranda's stature is on another level. 

Fun fact: went to college with the guy who played Charles Lee in the original cast and was in the ensemble for the show. He was also one of the understudies for Hamilton and got to play the role at least once. Not exactly what we were all expecting out of him when he was telling us about pursuing a career in dance. 

Surprised my wife with tickets to this back in February. I thought it was incredible and couldn't wait to watch it again. It definitely delivers and it's great to see it even in some form with the original cast. 

One thing anyone who has seen it without the originals can tell you though, if it's not clear from watching this version, is that while Miranda is obviously a genius in how he was able to put this together, he's nowhere near the level of a performer on stage compared to the rest of the cast. The guy we saw in February blew him away but obviously Miranda's stature is on another level. 

Fun fact: went to college with the guy who played Charles Lee in the original cast and was in the ensemble for the show. He was also one of the understudies for Hamilton and got to play the role at least once. Not exactly what we were all expecting out of him when he was telling us about pursuing a career in dance. 
He’s clearly outclassed by the rest as a singer. Decent rapper though 

We took our daughter to see it on Broadway when she was 8 and I was fine with it. They removed a couple F words for Disney so it is a few curse words and some adult themes a 5 year old probably won’t even get. 

We had to have two watch parties on Friday to accommodate social distancing for the kids having friends over.

I watched it with my daughter on Friday. It was OK. It wasnt awful. I like rap but depsise Broadway. Every time I go to a show, I ask myself why I bought my wife these tickets. at least this time, I didnt have to sit in uncomfortable seats while watching a musical. I thought Burr and Jefferson were the highlights of the show

What a stupid way to die. In a duel. Because someone said something bad about you. 

I loved it. I saw a bootleg a couple years ago. Saw a live touring show in 2019. Was so jealous of everyone who got to see original cast. 

Loved it...and yes...Miranda's talent is more the creativity vs. his singing.  

To come up with that long of a show, with no actual normal spoken dialog and all sing/rap...really really good.

Every aspect of this show is technically brilliant. I had never seen it and while everything leading up Thomas Jefferson coming on stage was great, I basically sat on the edge of my seat with my jaw as low at it goes in awe of Jefferson and everything that happened after.

I feel like I was at a completely different show. I honestly wish I understood any of the hype surrounding this thing. I mean, even when I don't like something, I usually get why others did, why they thought it was great, etc. But I'm completely flummoxed. Makes me feel a little dumb TBH.

I would also say this show has sparked a little interest in finding a book about this aspect of the revolution. I know there was a revolution and I know the main points but much of what they talked about was news to me. It seems like a really cool story.

Any book suggestions on the revolution subject? I am not a fan of dry history books but I do like historical stories. Does that make sense?

A true work of art. Full stop. 

saw it twice (never with the original cast) and was slated to see it a 3rd in SF before The Covids. 
The true genius, ingenuity and creativity that it took to, firstly, even conceive of this concept, let alone put together over 2 hours of hook-infused music is just mind blowing. Add on top of that: the visuals, choreography and performances...you end up with something that the world has truly never seen before. 

beside all the great comments everyone has already made, I’ll just add how happy I am that now folks who couldn’t afford the often-insane prices for live tickets can now watch it with their whole family at the cost of one month of a Disney+ subscription. I’m interested to learn how many more subscriptions Disney got simply because of Hamilton. 

The other thing I’ll mention is my wife and I became obsessed with the Revolution after this and watched a couple of Hamilton and Washington documentaries, and went deep into the Wikipedia rabbit whole on all things and people related to this period in time (the French Revolution might be the most brutal, horrific, drawn out thing I’ve personally learned about). We also watched a couple of tv series that we probably wouldn’t have before seeing Hamilton, namely "Turn: Washington's Spies". Pretty cool show but, having learned more about the Revolution through my Wiki-spelunking, it was a really cool angle on the subject and time period. If a musical like this can get kids interested in history and learning more about it, it’s an amazing achievement in and of itself. 

I could go on for hours about all the things I love about this musical. I’m not a musical guy, but I’m a MUSIC guy, and will mention that I found some great behind the scenes videos on YouTube of the musical performers doing their parts for this show. As a drummer, watching the drum parts (in an amazingly arranged drum set crammed under the stage in that theater) for these grovin', funky songs was a real treat. 

I would also say this show has sparked a little interest in finding a book about this aspect of the revolution. I know there was a revolution and I know the main points but much of what they talked about was news to me. It seems like a really cool story.

Any book suggestions on the revolution subject? I am not a fan of dry history books but I do like historical stories. Does that make sense?
Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis is best book ever written on the founders.

Miranda lifted heavily and credited the biography of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow which is the quintessential review of Hamilton.

I have not watched it on Disney plus, but neither my wife nor I were too impressed with the musical. I thought wicked was better even though it was a girly story and Hamilton is not even close to the quality of book of Mormon.

I feel like I was at a completely different show. I honestly wish I understood any of the hype surrounding this thing. I mean, even when I don't like something, I usually get why others did, why they thought it was great, etc. But I'm completely flummoxed. Makes me feel a little dumb TBH.
For me:

It broke every mold of Broadway there is. Music, set design,  lighting, dance, use of topics with brilliant flare.... it is the heart of what true story telling on Broadway is supposed to be;

Turning cabinet meeting into rap battles was absolutely brilliant in every way.

Basing Hamiltons ambition on never wanting to waste his shot when he ultimately likely did was just magnificent story telling.

They used George Washingtons Fairwell Address as a song.... i was floored.

The leading women were amazing.

The rewind part was maybe the coolest thing I have ever seen on Broadway ever. 

The casting was inspired.

The entire Jefferson character and story was the greatest interpretation of Jefferson I've ever seen in entertainment.

The music ..... just fit. It wasn't hip hop for the sake of being different, it actually told the story better than operatic Les Mis style could.

Elisa breaking the 4th wall at the very end was, for me, the greatest ending of a broadway show ever. In that moment I truly appreciated what Miranda was trying to say with the entire story and the profound importance of this time period and how we look back at it.....and how they knew we would.

There is more. In the end, for me, this is the best version of broadway I've seen since the 10th anniversary global Les Mis concert.

Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis is best book ever written on the founders.

Miranda lifted heavily and credited the biography of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow which is the quintessential review of Hamilton.
The Chernow biography was fantastic, but it's also 800+ pages and probably not a good recommendation for the casual history fan.  Something like 1776 by David McCullough is an easier read for Revolutionary War stuff.

For me:

It broke every mold of Broadway there is. Music, set design,  lighting, dance, use of topics with brilliant flare.... it is the heart of what true story telling on Broadway is supposed to be;

Turning cabinet meeting into rap battles was absolutely brilliant in every way.

Basing Hamiltons ambition on never wanting to waste his shot when he ultimately likely did was just magnificent story telling.

They used George Washingtons Fairwell Address as a song.... i was floored.

The leading women were amazing.

The rewind part was maybe the coolest thing I have ever seen on Broadway ever. 

The casting was inspired.

The entire Jefferson character and story was the greatest interpretation of Jefferson I've ever seen in entertainment.

The music ..... just fit. It wasn't hip hop for the sake of being different, it actually told the story better than operatic Les Mis style could.

Elisa breaking the 4th wall at the very end was, for me, the greatest ending of a broadway show ever. In that moment I truly appreciated what Miranda was trying to say with the entire story and the profound importance of this time period and how we look back at it.....and how they knew we would.

There is more. In the end, for me, this is the best version of broadway I've seen since the 10th anniversary global Les Mis concert

My kids are 11, 5, and 5. 

11 year old saw it when he was 9 and loves the show.  Some of the language was a shock for him, but he loved it.  It got him interested in American history and for his school project he picked Hamilton and did his own research/etc.  The trade off with the language was worth it.

The five year olds can't pay attention and want to go play about 30 min into it.

Users who are viewing this thread