What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hamilton on Disney (2 Viewers)

A few years ago, when Hamilton cost at least a few hundred bucks to see, the upper-crusty elites gushed over it.

Now that it's on Disney+ where working-class people can view it, the upper-crusty elites are criticizing Miranda and Hamilton for not being woke enough.

Gist: wokeness is an elite privilege that functions as a status symbol; when something (such as Hamilton) becomes available to the masses, it is no longer a status symbol, and is no longer fashionable among the affluent, woke class.

The article doesn't really present any evidence, though -- it's just a rant.
well, that sounds dumb.

well, that sounds dumb.
Agreed. Sounds like a "people are saying the elites don’t like it anymore..." kind of b.s. reasoning  

I can say that I work with dozens of people who saw it live, some who saw it more than once, and not a single one has said they like it less now that it’s on Disney+.  In fact, it’s even more exciting and enjoyable to just pop in for a song or 2 at any time if you want to  

A few years ago, when Hamilton cost at least a few hundred bucks to see, the upper-crusty elites gushed over it.

Now that it's on Disney+ where working-class people can view it, the upper-crusty elites are criticizing Miranda and Hamilton for not being woke enough.

Gist: wokeness is an elite privilege that functions as a status symbol; when something (such as Hamilton) becomes available to the masses, it is no longer a status symbol, and is no longer fashionable among the affluent, woke class.

I told my wife this kind of take would come out. Snobs would be upset the middle-class and below can access something that was solely for them. 

people suck. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Sounds like a "people are saying the elites don’t like it anymore..." kind of b.s. reasoning  

I can say that I work with dozens of people who saw it live, some who saw it more than once, and not a single one has said they like it less now that it’s on Disney+.  In fact, it’s even more exciting and enjoyable to just pop in for a song or 2 at any time if you want to  
Same scenario for me. We know lots of people of all stripes who saw it on BWY...this isn't a take I'm getting from a single person.

Only "woke" thing I've seen is that some critics are only now grumbling that more should have been made of the whole slavery thing. Not like they didn't make a point of it in the show...but imo this sounds like critics being critics.

This sounds exactly like when I loved Sublime After 40 Oz to freedom and Robbin the Hood. But then the self titled album came out and I was over them 

it was stupid back then and this is stupid now. Sublime is awesome and what I wouldn’t have given to go to that first warped tour in the Nassau Coliseum parking lot to see them. 

Finally got around to watching this.   Thought it was wonderful.  Can't wait to see it in person.   The only knocks are there's no way I'm keeping up during the parts of songs where they're rapping and Miranda's singing (though I thought his acting was solid).   

Wifey finally gave up on the idea of seeing this thing in person for the first time so we watched it on Disney+.  We both were pretty blown away at how good it was, even with all the hype.

Sort of related news: Reports point toward Aladdin being the next broadway-to-streaming musical to hit Disney+. Obv it does not have the following or acclaim that Hamilton did, but it was a fun show. 

According to the article:

They also report that Disney was actually planning to release Aladdin earlier this year, however, plans suddenly changed when they decided to release the Broadway hit musical, Hamilton, early instead. (It was originally supposed to be released in October 2021.)
Unfortunately it will be London's West End recording and the original Genie James Monroe Iglehart was not in the role when filmed. 

I finally got around to seeing this last week and am obsessed.  Finished a second viewing Friday and am trying to figure out if I can get some in again today.

I'm a massive fan of Leslie Odom, Jr. as Burr and feel like he was the true star of the show.  Angelica Schuyler and Lafayette/Jefferson were phenomenal as well.  Those three were mesmerizing in every scene and pushed along what was an amazing script, score and choreography.  It actually rivals Sound of Music for me in overall greatness and significance. 

I finally got around to seeing this last week and am obsessed.  Finished a second viewing Friday and am trying to figure out if I can get some in again today.

I'm a massive fan of Leslie Odom, Jr. as Burr and feel like he was the true star of the show.  Angelica Schuyler and Lafayette/Jefferson were phenomenal as well.  Those three were mesmerizing in every scene and pushed along what was an amazing script, score and choreography.  It actually rivals Sound of Music for me in overall greatness and significance. 
Incredible

ETA... Not much love for George Washington, but I thought he was fantastic (not burr levels, but still great)

Incredible

ETA... Not much love for George Washington, but I thought he was fantastic (not burr levels, but still great)
I would put Washington and King George in the next tier.  They were great, but I was dramatically moved by Burr, Angelica and Lafayette/Jefferson the most.

Also, for as much love as she got in here, I was not as into Soo's Eliza.

Granted, this is like separating cuts of steak.  I like all of them, but some just make my mouth water when I hear the words.

for you Hamilton fans, PBS Great Performances (9pm tonite here, check local listings) is having a special on Lin-Manuel Miranda's 1st B'way musical, In the Heights, in this week's ep

It is the broadway production. It was flawless except for the king of England drooling during his big number. 
Read that LMM was given the option to have the spitting CGI'd out, but he wanted to keep it in to show how the King sang.

Saw it once in the theater, and multiple times on Disney+ (my wife, like others in here ;) , has become a bit of a fanatic, listening to the soundtrack constantly.

The King is my favorite character, I love the little things they do with him, like the stomp and change of the lights to blue in his first songs, and him dancing happily around when all is going poorly towards the end.

I loved the way they filmed the show. I read that they filmed one live show, then filmed it again on a day off without a crowd so cameras would not interfere with people sight-lines. I hope to see more musicals filmed this way in the future.

On a separate note, some people have said that the format loses some of the perspective of the background with the other dancers and props. I go back and forth, both are important.

On a separate note, some people have said that the format loses some of the perspective of the background with the other dancers and props. I go back and forth, both are important.
Thats interesting - because one of the things I noticed in watching the movie is how integral the Ensemble and Props are to the show.

The set itself is amazingly simple, and flexible - such that it always felt like it was depicting the scene, no matter the location.

The movements of the Ensemble struck me as helping to depict the scene, and never felt superfluous.  (And one of my favorite aspects, after several viewings, is how all the actors had a role in stage management - from moving props in and out of the stage, to cleaning up papers from the floor. I am not sure what I expected, it just seemed funny to see Broadway stars moving props like they were in some local production.)

Read that LMM was given the option to have the spitting CGI'd out, but he wanted to keep it in to show how the King sang.

Saw it once in the theater, and multiple times on Disney+ (my wife, like others in here ;) , has become a bit of a fanatic, listening to the soundtrack constantly.

The King is my favorite character, I love the little things they do with him, like the stomp and change of the lights to blue in his first songs, and him dancing happily around when all is going poorly towards the end.

I loved the way they filmed the show. I read that they filmed one live show, then filmed it again on a day off without a crowd so cameras would not interfere with people sight-lines. I hope to see more musicals filmed this way in the future.

I love the filmed format.  For me it’s the same as watching pro sports.  Yeah there’s some fun stuff that comes with being there, but in terms of getting close ups and being able to enjoy and follow along, television is the only way to go.

I've been singing Wait For It to myself non stop for the last few weeks.
My first viewing I was not impressed with the music at all. None of it seemed catchy to me or memorable.

Now? I'll randomly get various songs stuck in my head and don't even mind it. 

think I noticed (only seen it once) his wardrobe progresses as they go through the show. It starts out in full regalia of a Henry VIII type, all styled up and practically medieval, then the next time he's lost some of the capes and robes, and by the end he's in a more modern kingly attire... still looking rich but not as extravagant. Kind of how now kings and queens just wear business suits.
I noticed that as well. 

I love the filmed format.  For me it’s the same as watching pro sports.  Yeah there’s some fun stuff that comes with being there, but in terms of getting close ups and being able to enjoy and follow along, television is the only way to go.
I liked the filmed as well. I will have to dig up the article. I like the comparison to sports, I think this is a reason why they will do this more with musicals in the future, rather than just distant shots showing the stage.

Thats interesting - because one of the things I noticed in watching the movie is how integral the Ensemble and Props are to the show.

The set itself is amazingly simple, and flexible - such that it always felt like it was depicting the scene, no matter the location.

The movements of the Ensemble struck me as helping to depict the scene, and never felt superfluous.  (And one of my favorite aspects, after several viewings, is how all the actors had a role in stage management - from moving props in and out of the stage, to cleaning up papers from the floor. I am not sure what I expected, it just seemed funny to see Broadway stars moving props like they were in some local production.)
I agree that the ensemble and staging were spectacular. The article noted that possibly the filmed version focused too much on the main characters. Reviews are like that, often with people who watch/read/etc things and just want them to be the way they have always been.

Enjoyed this a lot.  Especially the first hour -- felt like that was as good as any performance I've ever seen.  2nd half, after the war was won, waned a bit for me.

Agree that... King George, fantastic.  Miranda not up to par.  Lafeyette/Jefferson and the oldest sister were amazing.

On the "woke" thing... 2020 is a way different world than 2016.  If confederate monuments and flags, which have been hugged for 100 years, are suddenly off limits, things have changed a lot since the show was new.

I completely missed that Lafayette and Jefferson were played by the same actor.  Love the way they characterized Jefferson.

My wife and I saw this in New York a couple of years ago and just watched the Disney production last night.  I have to agree with everybody else that found Miranda kind of disappointing -- the new guy is better IMO.  Still a fantastic performance all around.

I can’t wait for the sequel 
Be careful what you wish for. Hamilton 2: The Quickening retcons the Founding Fathers as aliens. However, I do look foreword to Hamilton: The Series which follows the exploits of Alexander’s cousin, Duncan Hamilton. :nerd:

Belted our Lafayette’s rap from “Guns and Ships,” I mean, to the extent I can, in the car today. That’s a pretty awesome moment. EVERYBODY WELCOME AMERICA’ FAVORITE FIGHTING FRENCHMAN

Between that rap and the one in Satisfied, so great. 

Actually Satisfied is maybe the best number in the whole show. Outrageous talent and writing there. 

Its Quiet Uptown. The context really gives that song the edge for me even with Miranda's singing although the emotion he displays gives the song a sense of authenticity.   

Its so fascinating being able to watch this multiple times, each time I focus on something different, and still come away mesmerized.

I am not a music or theater guy, and what hearing I have left is a bit dicey, so I am not the person to judge another's singing ability - but I have seen a number of comments, not just here, about Lin-Manuel Miranda's performance as being "good, but not quite on par with some of the other performers."  (I should add, that I liked it well enough, but see above.)

But, taking that critique as fair, it struck me last night that it makes almost perfect sense.  One of the themes I took away from the play - Hamilton spent his life with a bit of an inferiority complex, always striving to belong to the "elites".  From his first interaction with Burr, through his time as Washington's Secretary, and even post-War, Hamilton seems like he is always trying to prove himself worthy of being in the ruling class - but each time he is essentially told that his best role is that of a writer.  

And, so it seems that it also applies to Miranda - a fine enough performer, but really his strength lies in his writing, not his performing.

Had long drive with my daughter, of course she wants to listen to Hamilton. I ask her what her favorite song is right now and she says "The Reynolds Pamphlet". She really can't get enough Daveed Diggs and it's his songs that she wants to learn.

The neighbor kids have this playing in their front yard while I walk by with the dog. I'll watch it at some point.

Finally watched  it this weekend. I had the chance to pay some ridiculous amount to see this off Broadway here in Charlotte and declined. That was a mistake, this was really fantastic. 

Thought the Burr role was very well written/performed. However, I cannot get the King George song out of my head. So hilariously good.

However, I cannot get the King George song out of my head. So hilariously good.
At my house my teenagers get to experience my frequent rendition of Washington on Your Side.

🎵 It must be nice, it must be niiiiiiice.... to sit on your ### all dayyyyy.. 🎵

We basically speak in Hamilton in my house now. 

lots of “just you wait” and “I’m perplexed” and a million other quotes from the songs worked into regular conversation 

lots of “just you wait” and “I’m perplexed” and a million other quotes from the songs worked into regular conversation 
I get a lot of "son of a whore". 

I think my wife hates me.

Otis said:

I use a sarcastic  "awesome, wow" every chance I get.

Otis said:

Daughter and I high five anytime she "gets the job done". A lot of 'what, France?" or random "America's favorite fighting Frenchman.....LAFAYETTE!!"

Users who are viewing this thread