What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Replacing faulty Hard Drive - question on Win 10 (1 Viewer)

Polish Hammer

made of glass
I have a Dell XPS 8300 I got back in 2013. Assuming it came with Windows 8 and was upgraded to Windows 10 once that was released. Long story short, the hard drive took a crap on my the other week and now I'm stuck in a Windows Recovery Tool loop I can't get out of. Can't refresh, can't reset, can't use the USB recovery drive I created, nothing. 

So I bought a new SSD that I want to install. Ideally I'd love to be able to copy what I had on the HDD over to it, but I'm assuming that won't be the case. Not a huge deal as I have all important docs backed up to an external Seagate drive. However, if I have to do a clean install with the new SSD, is there any way for me to avoid having to buy a new Windows 10 license? Any chance of my USB Recovery Drive working with the new SSD? Any way for me to pull the licensing off of the existing/damaged drive or motherboard or something and transfer that to the new drive? Just trying to save myself the $100+ if I can. Hoping to get this done tonight if possible.

Install Windows 8, then use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Windows 10.

If you don't have a copy of the Windows 8 install disk, then you should be able to find a copy online (try here).

If you no longer have the sticker with the Windows Product Key on it, you should be able to still activate Windows over the phone; those Dells usually have the key embedded into the CPU.

Install Windows 8, then use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Windows 10.

If you don't have a copy of the Windows 8 install disk, then you should be able to find a copy online (try here).

If you no longer have the sticker with the Windows Product Key on it, you should be able to still activate Windows over the phone; those Dells usually have the key embedded into the CPU.
Thanks for the help! I'm doing one last ditch effort to see if the pre-boot system assessment tool from Dell can salvage this. If not, I'll go the route you mentioned. You really are the Greatest American Hero!

Don't thank me yet! I should have added that the Microsoft version of Win 8 may not be compatible with your product key (Dells are notoriously finicky about requiring the original "Dell version" of Windows).

Don't thank me yet! I should have added that the Microsoft version of Win 8 may not be compatible with your product key (Dells are notoriously finicky about requiring the original "Dell version" of Windows).
Another question - is it just a stupid idea to try and install the new Windows build onto the SSD and then see if I can copy over anything important from the old/failing HDD onto it? Didn't know if there might be any benefit to doing that or if I'm just risking copying over corrupted files.

Also, the original computer setup was that it has a 32GB SSD mounted on the mobo. I think it was supposed to be a startup accelerator for the OS back before it was really cost effective to have an actual SSD main drive. Should I remove it physically, disable it in the BIOS or something else? Feel like there isn't a big need for it there (and maybe just the risk of something going wrong) with me installing a new 2TB SSD overall.

I doubt that any of your personal files are corrupted, so they can safely be copied to the new drive. I don't recommend trying to copy any programs from the old drive, though (too many issues with DLLs).

As for the old SSD, I would just leave it in place (assuming that the computer will allow you to boot to the new SSD without conflict).

I doubt that any of your personal files are corrupted, so they can safely be copied to the new drive. I don't recommend trying to copy any programs from the old drive, though (too many issues with DLLs).

As for the old SSD, I would just leave it in place (assuming that the computer will allow you to boot to the new SSD without conflict).
Thanks! Should I disconnect the old HDD while installing Windows on the new SSD, then once I'm all done reconnect the old HDD and copy the files over?

It's not necessary to temporarily disconnect the old HDD, but it can't hurt. Plus, it'll save you from accidentally installing Windows onto the wrong drive.

Install the new SSD, then boot to your install disk, then install Windows 8 to the SSD, then activate Windows 8, then use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Windows 10, then install all of the Windows Updates, then install whatever programs you need to install (Chrome, Firefox, Adobe, Malwarebytes, etc.), then connect the old HDD and copy your personal files to the new drive.

Also, you may need to download a network driver from Dell's website, so you should do that now. Go to Dell.com, then click Support, then enter the service tag (if known) or enter the model number. (You might also be able to find the service tag by turning on the machine and going into the BIOS, if you can get that far.) Once you get to the support page, click Drivers & Downloads, then select the Windows 8 operating system & the Network category. If multiple drivers pop up, download them all and save them to a USB drive. The reason you need to do this is because not all Dells are internet-capable out of the box, so you'll need to install that driver immediately after Windows 8 is installed.

I think if you use the media creation tool on any other Win10 computer to make a Bootable USB stick, you can install straight to 10 in the new SSD. The serial number on your mobo is the same so the activation servers will be happy with it.

Hoping that @Joe Summer or @Rustoleum or someone else can help me a little more.

So the new drive went in smoothly, Windows 10 was installed easily, so that part is squared away. New issue is that even though I have the old drive hooked up and detected in BIOS, I can't get it to show up anywhere once I'm actually in windows. Things I've tried:

• I've looked in Disk Management to activate it, but it isn't there (not even when viewing hidden items).
  • Looked in the System Manager and it isn't there (and no unknown devices either).
  • I've tried known working SATA cables and still no change (also tried other ports - suppose I could try the one the DVD-RW is hooked up to since I know that's a good/working port).
  • Also know it's getting enough power because the platters are spinning.
  • Saw some places to run the RAM diagnosis thing in Windows and that people often found upon restart that the HDD suddenly appeared - no dice for me.
  • Last thing I read was that since before it was labeled as a C Drive and now the new SSD is the C drive that could be messing it up. So I tried to rename the SSD through the CMD prompt and it wouldn't let me do that since it is the active file.
I really want to get that drive active so I can pull files from it, especially since I now realize that for some reason my Seagate stopped backing up new files around last February for some reason. Not sure which movies I've downloaded over that time that are now gone from the library, but that's kind of minor I guess. Really hoping I didn't lose any family photos as a result - wife would be unpleased to say the least. Any and all help appreciated!

I'm kind of at a loss here. This is the point where I would be plugging the drive into another computer. Or I'd be downloading recovery software.

Do you have a USB hard drive cable? You could try accessing the drive that way.

I'm kind of at a loss here. This is the point where I would be plugging the drive into another computer. Or I'd be downloading recovery software.

I don't have one of those handy. Assuming I should grab an external enclosure off of amazon with a USB hookup or something similar? Any recovery software you recommend?

You don't really need an enclosure; just a simple USB-to-SATA cable should do the trick. Staples or Office Depot or maybe WalMart should have them for $10 or so.

For recovery software, I've used EaseUS in the past.

In the meantime, here are a couple other things to try:

1. go to Dell.com, go to the Drivers & Downloads section for your specific machine, and then download & install any drivers which might be related to a hard drive. You should be able to use their Support Assistant to detect any drivers that are missing; if not, you'll need to go through the BIOS, Chipset, and Serial ATA categories, and then download every available driver for Windows 10.

2. make sure Windows is fully updated.

Once he gets the USB-SATA cable, he should listen to the drive after plugging it in to see if the drive even spins up. If it's a hardware failure, you won't hear anything and the drive is just dead. If you can hear it spin up, then we might be able to figure out how to get windows to recognize it. 

save yourself hours of frustration by throwing that Windows machine in a shredder  and just buy a Chromebook

Once he gets the USB-SATA cable, he should listen to the drive after plugging it in to see if the drive even spins up. If it's a hardware failure, you won't hear anything and the drive is just dead. If you can hear it spin up, then we might be able to figure out how to get windows to recognize it. 
It's definitely spinning up as it is now - powered by the PS cables and connected via SATA to motherboard. I looked at the Staples near me and they don't have that cable, so I ordered one from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. My brother also said if that didn't work I can try doing a LINUX USB boot and see if the disc could be read that way and the files copied over. Hopefully I don't have to go that route but if I do at least I'll learn something new.

save yourself hours of frustration by throwing that Windows machine in a shredder  and just buy a Chromebook
Maybe next time. But if this works for about $250 total for the new drive and the cable (and yes, too many frustrating hours) I'll have a machine that should last me several more years.

I hope. 😐

Maybe next time. But if this works for about $250 total for the new drive and the cable (and yes, too many frustrating hours) I'll have a machine that should last me several more years.

I hope. 😐
new Chromebook is probably the same cost, but without the worry about it crapping out again when Microsoft makes some other update that renders your computer a brick again.

Did you move the original drive to a different SATA port by any chance? Only thing I can think to check that everybody else hasn’t mentioned yet is if maybe that SATA port is turned off in the BIOS.

The external adapter cable will tell you if the drive is still functional at all though. But if you were getting the recovery stuff before, there should still at least be something to see on it.

Piggbacking on what Rustoleum said, your BIOS could have multiple settings that could prevent it from seeing a SATA drive. It might have SATA turned OFF for that port, or it might be ON but not set to recognize HDD, or it might be ON and set to see a HDD, but the system itself might only be capable of seeing 2 drives at a time (and those 2 drives are your DVD and your new drive).

Did you move the original drive to a different SATA port by any chance? Only thing I can think to check that everybody else hasn’t mentioned yet is if maybe that SATA port is turned off in the BIOS.

The external adapter cable will tell you if the drive is still functional at all though. But if you were getting the recovery stuff before, there should still at least be something to see on it.

Piggbacking on what Rustoleum said, your BIOS could have multiple settings that could prevent it from seeing a SATA drive. It might have SATA turned OFF for that port, or it might be ON but not set to recognize HDD, or it might be ON and set to see a HDD, but the system itself might only be capable of seeing 2 drives at a time (and those 2 drives are your DVD and your new drive).
OK, so the good news is the USB/SATA cable from Amazon arrived already. Got it hooked up to the computer and I can see the whole file tree from the old disk. When I went into the Users tab to then pull up the documents to copy, and then clicked on my User Name where those files are, I got the message: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder." Then there is the Continue button that has the little "administrator/Windows shield" icon next to it. I click on that and then wait, and wait, and nothing happens. Do I just need to wait more? Is there some other way around getting into that folder? Can I just copy it wholesale onto my new SSD and then access it?

OK, so the good news is the USB/SATA cable from Amazon arrived already. Got it hooked up to the computer and I can see the whole file tree from the old disk. When I went into the Users tab to then pull up the documents to copy, and then clicked on my User Name where those files are, I got the message: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder." Then there is the Continue button that has the little "administrator/Windows shield" icon next to it. I click on that and then wait, and wait, and nothing happens. Do I just need to wait more? Is there some other way around getting into that folder? Can I just copy it wholesale onto my new SSD and then access it?
I've had that error before. Try this (youtube tutorial). 

Users who are viewing this thread