What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid and Kids Activities (1 Viewer)

Which activities are you lettting your kids do?

• Play non-contact sports

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • Play contact sports

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Go to daycare

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Go to school

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Go to work (part-timers)

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Sleepovers

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Dating/Hanging out (small groups)

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • Dating/Hanging out (large groups)

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Church/clubs

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Day Camps

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Overnight camps

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Movies/bowling/indoor group activities

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don't let them do any of these activities

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters
13 and 9, NYC (just returned after 3 months hiding out near OC, MD) 

We'll let them do outdoor stuff with a friend as long as they're both wearing masks. They both are continuing music instruction, but remotely. An art and math "camp" upcoming remotely. We've had some in person tennis lessons and played some with them as well. 

Won't be doing any in person group things for a while.
Wow - is that typical in the Northeast?  Kids wearing masks outside playing?  I've seen exactly 0 kids doing this.  Not saying you are wrong and I'm right- you are being cautious and protecting your family.  It's to be commended.  But this exemplifies what is frustrating for me - I have NO CLUE what level of caution or actions I should take to ensure we don't get this and I'm assuming most people feel this way.

Wow - is that typical in the Northeast?  Kids wearing masks outside playing?  I've seen exactly 0 kids doing this.  Not saying you are wrong and I'm right- you are being cautious and protecting your family.  It's to be commended.  But this exemplifies what is frustrating for me - I have NO CLUE what level of caution or actions I should take to ensure we don't get this and I'm assuming most people feel this way.
I think the standard precautions of social distance and a mask in public while washing your hands frequently will do a great job of keeping you protected.  It's not 100% certain but about as close as you can be without completely isolating yourself from the outside world. 

We’ve had some soccer in the past 2 weeks and the kids (8 & 10) swim in the river and at the pool.  

I won’t be down with winter sports indoors (hoops) at this point and don’t know what could really change that.  Might be different if they were older, not sure. 

Might be doing some outdoor camps later in the summer but that is giving us pause. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We are on the extreme end of caution. No contact with other kids/groups/outside activities. A few months of time off is worth it to help insure my family's safety. We will be doing online school this fall as well. It doesn't help that cases are raging in AZ.

We are on the extreme end of caution. No contact with other kids/groups/outside activities. A few months of time off is worth it to help insure my family's safety. We will be doing online school this fall as well. It doesn't help that cases are raging in AZ.
That was my general mindset early on and with my kids doing remote learning and extracurricular stuff being cancelled it wasn't that difficult.  Now though with stuff opening it's hard.  How long are you willing/planning to go the no contact route for them?  Are you waiting for a vaccine?

We had no contact with anyone from early March until 7/1. Put them back into daycare because they were going insane at home and we were going insane trying to work from home with them going insane. The daycare has way less people than it did before the shutdown, I know numerous families who are just not going back. Youngest one went from about 4 classes of 6 to 1 class of 5.

13 and 9, NYC (just returned after 3 months hiding out near OC, MD) 

We'll let them do outdoor stuff with a friend as long as they're both wearing masks. They both are continuing music instruction, but remotely. An art and math "camp" upcoming remotely. We've had some in person tennis lessons and played some with them as well. 

Won't be doing any in person group things for a while.
we were 3 months just outside of Ocean City, MD. nobody gave a #### down there in terms of masks and social distancing- kids and people congregating without regard. and tbh, the outbreak hadn't and hasn't hit there so I don't totally blame them. hopefully it won't ever- but I don't know why it would magically miss them if they're not doing the basic things being asked of the rest of the world to limit this.

we've only been back in NYC less than a week. the city just started phase 3 yesterday- playgrounds and courts, outdoor dining, salons (hair, tanning, nails, tattoos)... all open. the mayor nixed opening indoor dining at restaurants as he watched the rest of the country's mounting cases. team sports aren't supposed to be starting, but I've seen baseball and flag football practices. floppinha and I just got back from playing tennis at public courts which just opened yesterday (no masks on the court). I've been running daily- I run with a mask that I pull up and down depending on whether there are people around- sucks. I'd say only half of the people I see running are using masks... many of them not over the faces while running. generally, I see most people with masks out and about on the sidewalks- like 95%. another 15-25% are wearing them around their chins or below their noses... kinda pointless.  

we had a supervised playdate with floppinha and friend/mom in a neighborhood playground. we all wore masks the entire time. other people in the playground were letting their kids go maskless. people were definitely social distancing, but letting their littler kids engage others, including strangers and sharing items. 13yo floppinho met up with a friend from school in Central Park yesterday. Both wore masks unless they were doing something more than 6' apart- and it was stinking hot and uncomfortable. this was his friend's first social engagement of any kind outside of her parents since this this started in middle March!

with the way the numbers are rising in the country in places where more drastic measures weren't taken originally... I'm sticking with drastic measures for me and the family. I don't see any point in having done what we've done for 4 months and now throw it away by being lazy or complacent (I'm talking about my family) in not social distancing and/or wearing masks in public. and tbh- I'm not going to trust anybody else to be following this, so even meeting with friends, we're staying with masks and social distancing.

Got back yesterday from a baseball tournament in Fort Myers, FL for my 15-year old. Both my wife and I had some concerns going into it and after seeing the majority of people (kids and parents) walking around like nothing is happening I think our concern was warranted.  This invoked further discussion between the two of us about who was crazier, us for allowing our son to play in a tournament and be around people that clearly aren't social distancing or mask-wearing or "everyone else" that was pretending like COVID isn't a thing? Many of the teams were from Florida but there were quite a few from other SE states and up the East Coast. 

Coming from Miami, a place that has been hit pretty hard, our team/families were pretty much the only group that were consistently wearing masks at the games. Pretty disappointing and we are questioning whether or not to have him participate in the next two tournaments. They are back to back and both tournaments just moved from Palm Beach to Jupiter, which is further up the coast, get out of the hot zone. I have a feeling there are going to be quite a few more hot zones around Florida over the next several weeks so maybe it will be a moot point and the tournaments will be cancelled. 

Edit to add that all of Fort Myers seemed pretty oblivious. We got takeout from a couple of restaurants and mask-wearing was sparse between both patrons and employees. The hotel (a Marriott brand) had signs requiring masks but truthfully, that was followed by only half the people we saw. All employees were in masks. 

Back in Miami, 95% of the people we see walking outdoors are wearing masks and it's pretty much 100% if your inside any sort of retail establishment. That's clearly not the case in SW Florida. 

Yes it's typical. Kids have difficulty staying apart when playing together so it makes sense to wear masks to protect against the times you can't. 

Not really seeing why that's so frustrating to you. 

Yes it's typical. Kids have difficulty staying apart when playing together so it makes sense to wear masks to protect against the times you can't. 

I read that as the frustration was over what exactly everybody should be doing, which is all over the place- at least here in the US. some media and politicians are saying one thing, others another. there's no unified vision or approach to this- again, at least here in the US.

we're trying to follow the protocols that seem to have worked elsewhere- social distancing and masks. feels easy enough to do. 

and re: gator's frustration- I get it. we have our own unspoken rules that seem logical for all things... and yet, many people do the opposite of what seems obvious (to us).

in this situation, where lives are on the line... it's extra frustrating. our (my family) inclination is to get frustrated with and try to change the other people's behavior- wear a gosh darned mask, people!- but that's not our job. we just have to make sure we take care of ourselves the best we can and let the other people do the same. it doesn't help that my opinion of most people is that they're one or some combination of: thoughtless, inconsiderate, selfish, lazy, stupid (none of which will be good for stopping this pandemic).

as an aside, and I discussed this with the kids- wearing a mask also is a way of tacitly telling the world around you that you care about it and them and are trying to do your part... for yourself and for the strangers around you. it's hard (for me, at least) to see people not wearing them and immediately think the opposite...

No kids are wearing masks here. Went on a bike ride yesterday - wore a mask - maybe 20% of the walkers/bikers passed had a mask. Saw 20+ high school kids swimming/hanging around dock at a lake. As I have stated, I have no sympathy or empathy left for those who aren't taking this seriously.

No kids are wearing masks here. Went on a bike ride yesterday - wore a mask - maybe 20% of the walkers/bikers passed had a mask. Saw 20+ high school kids swimming/hanging around dock at a lake. As I have stated, I have no sympathy or empathy left for those who aren't taking this seriously.
Where is here?

I coach jv and varsity boys soccer.  We started summer training back in early june.  Take temps, wear a mask when within 6 feet, keep a log etc.  There is plenty of skills stuff I can do with separation and if I have lines set up, I mark with paint about every 3 yds.  Constantly telling kids to maintain 6ft and threatening if one gets it, we are all shut down.  

It's been fine so far....we are a small program and summer is not mandatory so I usually only have about 12-15 kids each day.  All coaches had to coordinate training times so kids never cross paths with kids in other sports.  I havent heard about anyone getting covid other than 1 of mine had an older brother get it (hes not coming to training for another week or so) and 1 on the girls team was around a family member that had it so shes out for 2 weeks. 

I think it's been good for the kids to get out but I am overly cautious with it too.  For example, I just sent a message this weekend that anyone that traveled or went to a gathering over july 4 to just take a week or so off.

Been letting my 16 yo hang out with 2 of his buddies who I know their families are taking it seriously and he goes to his girlfriends house a couple times a week.

My 13 yo has only been to soccer training (at the same school) and 1 friend's house this whole time.

I read that as the frustration was over what exactly everybody should be doing, which is all over the place- at least here in the US. some media and politicians are saying one thing, others another. there's no unified vision or approach to this- again, at least here in the US.

we're trying to follow the protocols that seem to have worked elsewhere- social distancing and masks. feels easy enough to do. 
Yep, I meant it's frustrating not having a consistent message and consistent data to make decisions with.

and re: gator's frustration- I get it. we have our own unspoken rules that seem logical for all things... and yet, many people do the opposite of what seems obvious (to us).

in this situation, where lives are on the line... it's extra frustrating. our (my family) inclination is to get frustrated with and try to change the other people's behavior- wear a gosh darned mask, people!- but that's not our job. we just have to make sure we take care of ourselves the best we can and let the other people do the same. it doesn't help that my opinion of most people is that they're one or some combination of: thoughtless, inconsiderate, selfish, lazy, stupid (none of which will be good for stopping this pandemic).

as an aside, and I discussed this with the kids- wearing a mask also is a way of tacitly telling the world around you that you care about it and them and are trying to do your part... for yourself and for the strangers around you. it's hard (for me, at least) to see people not wearing them and immediately think the opposite...
<_<

I coach jv and varsity boys soccer.  We started summer training back in early june.  Take temps, wear a mask when within 6 feet, keep a log etc.  There is plenty of skills stuff I can do with separation and if I have lines set up, I mark with paint about every 3 yds.  Constantly telling kids to maintain 6ft and threatening if one gets it, we are all shut down.  
For your high school teams, is it looking like you will have your seasons this year on a normal schedule? In California, no official decision has been made, but it is increasingly looking doubtful that there will be sports in the fall, and winter is looking iffy as well (soccer is a winter sport in southern California). Supposedly more info coming from CIF in about two weeks. The two options I'm hearing that are most likely is that all seasons are condense and pushed back - ie fall moves to a shortened Dec-Jan schedule, winter sports are a Feb or March-April schedule, Spring is April-May/June.   The other proposal I have heard is essentially moving fall sports to spring, keeping winter as is.

I think with either of these it won't be easy to implement and the multi-sport athletes will be most affected as they will have to make a lot of tough decisions in regards to what sport to play, where as with a "regular" schedule the seasons flow into on another with minimal overlap (unless one goes deep into playoffs)

As CM said, this is a tough situation to deal with.  They had a practice last night and I let him go - after picking him up I explained if he keeps playing that he won’t be able to be around the grandparents and we have to tell his girlfriend’s family so they can decide if she can be around him.  I almost wish they would just shut it all down.  This sucks - every kid is affected but some more than others based on what sport/hobby they do.
And there is a whole peer pressure aspect to this and also your young man's social life that just gets brushed under the rug for many but I think it's important to find out how he feels about it. 

That was my general mindset early on and with my kids doing remote learning and extracurricular stuff being cancelled it wasn't that difficult.  Now though with stuff opening it's hard.  How long are you willing/planning to go the no contact route for them?  Are you waiting for a vaccine?
Stuff re-opening isn't driving our decision making. Kids need to be around other kids. Long term isolation is not healthy. Engaging with others is how they develop. Baseball aside we're limiting who they can see and the size of particular groups but as long as they (ages 4, 7, and 10) are outside and generally doing a good job keeping distance from one another it's a risk we're comfortable with. I'm concerned about what may be our reality when it's no longer feasible to spend so much time outside, so we're maximizing what we can get out of it while we have it. Like you said, a consistent message would be helpful, but we aren't going to get one - so use the information you have to make the best decision.

For your high school teams, is it looking like you will have your seasons this year on a normal schedule? In California, no official decision has been made, but it is increasingly looking doubtful that there will be sports in the fall, and winter is looking iffy as well (soccer is a winter sport in southern California). Supposedly more info coming from CIF in about two weeks. The two options I'm hearing that are most likely is that all seasons are condense and pushed back - ie fall moves to a shortened Dec-Jan schedule, winter sports are a Feb or March-April schedule, Spring is April-May/June.   The other proposal I have heard is essentially moving fall sports to spring, keeping winter as is.

I think with either of these it won't be easy to implement and the multi-sport athletes will be most affected as they will have to make a lot of tough decisions in regards to what sport to play, where as with a "regular" schedule the seasons flow into on another with minimal overlap (unless one goes deep into playoffs)
NY state came out with 6 different plans for sports. 4 out of the 6 had soccer moving from the Fall to the Spring. If Im giving my opinion, no way the Fall season shakes out normally. I imagine there will be no state tournament and even section tournaments are in doubt  

selfishly, I am upset. This was the year my squad had a shot. We had zero seniors last year. Our entire starting lineup is back with 4 extremely talented sophomores to add in. 

But i am not stupid. Saftey first and if we dont play, we look to next year. 

ETA: https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/high-school/2020/07/02/return-sports-here-nysphsaa-scenarios-being-reviewed/5365102002/

First baseball tournament of the year in Edison NJ. Hundreds of people there and dozens of teams. Not a single player, umpire, coach, or parent was wearing a mask. The players all stayed in the dugouts, the ump called balls and strikes from behind the pitcher and another ump stayed 6ft to the side of the catcher (i guess for plays at the plate?). But the players tipped caps at the end instead of post game handshakes. 

And there is a whole peer pressure aspect to this and also your young man's social life that just gets brushed under the rug for many but I think it's important to find out how he feels about it. 
No social life for a short time period is better than someone losing their life, causing someone else to lose their life, or lifelong permanent lung or other organ damage. It boggles the mind that some don't seem to get this. Such a short term mentality for so many people. Not saying you in particular, just the average stupid American who "has to" go party and party now. Dumb.

I'm a little out of the loop since I am a "non faculty" coach but everything here in alabama is procedingnas if things will be normal.  I've heard rumblings but nothing confirmed.

I would be surprised however, that football proceeds as scheduled and we know football is king down here so that would throw things off a bit.

No social life for a short time period is better than someone losing their life, causing someone else to lose their life, or lifelong permanent lung or other organ damage. It boggles the mind that some don't seem to get this. Such a short term mentality for so many people. Not saying you in particular, just the average stupid American who "has to" go party and party now. Dumb.
I know you are making a specific point and I agree but playing devil’s advocate- this oversimplifies things.  Let’s take my eldest son for example - he works at Publix and lives with us (just graduated).  He is exposing us daily.  This is more exposure than if my 14 year old hangs out with his friends every day for a while outside.

I think where I’m landing is we need to be doing a much better job at wearing masks, testing and contact tracing.  If we did those things then we could resume a lot more things relatively safely.

Unfortunately, at some point all of us are going to have to accept more risk with this than we probably feel comfortable with.  Early on, we basically never left the house.  We didn’t even do takeout.  We gradually had to accept more risk and did takeout.  We’ve now eaten outside at restaurants and had folks over to sit outside a few times.  I’m still nervous but trying to balance.

I voted nothing but that’s more because my 4 and 2 year old didn’t have anything going except daycare. Answer would have likely been different if they were involved in more. We were looking forward to the start of kindergarten but not so much anymore.

Kids are 7, 8, and 12...they play with a few kids and go over to a few houses.  Basically closest friends.  Other than that they don't go anywhere or meet up in large groups.  Daughter started Dance team/lessons recently again.  It is at a small studio and only a few girls on her team/in her classes.  Boys are signed up for flag football in the fall, but no idea if it will happen or not.  Kids are set to start school beginning of August and will go in person (families can choose in class or virtual).  My wife is a teacher and I am out of the country for work, so in-person is only option.  As a reference, we are in middle Georgia.

I agree with the not going to party, large groups etc...the problem is the time frame.  You say short period in this quote...what is a short period?  We have no idea how long this is going to last or if there will be a vaccine, or if it will get better.  it could be two more months or two years.  So I am letting my kids play and socialize with select kids and families at our house or theirs.  I do understand there is a .1% or so chance that they could get seriously sick or so from the virus, but I can live with those odds, and don't see much higher of chance this behavior will result in a higher percentage chance of anyone's death.

I agree with the not going to party, large groups etc...the problem is the time frame.  You say short period in this quote...what is a short period?  We have no idea how long this is going to last or if there will be a vaccine, or if it will get better.  it could be two more months or two years.  So I am letting my kids play and socialize with select kids and families at our house or theirs.  I do understand there is a .1% or so chance that they could get seriously sick or so from the virus, but I can live with those odds, and don't see much higher of chance this behavior will result in a higher percentage chance of anyone's death.
Im hoping there's a vaccine in the 1st quarter of 2021. That may be overly optimistic.

AZ is now the leading state in the country for Covid cases per capita. We are over 90% ICU bed capacity. We just became the first state in the country to issue crisis care standards. That is no bueno. We're talking a few days away from docs picking and choosing who they can attempt to care for. This is some serious ####. The virus situation has not gotten better and is only going to get worse. The "I'm done with quarantine" crowd thinks they've somehow emerged into a safer environment. I just don't get it.

So, alabama high school association just announced that football will proceed as planned in the fall.  Practices start july 27 and 1st games August 21.  They did mention that they realize there will probably be instances of game forfeiture etc.

Also, there is a 3v3 soccer tournament in Pensacola July 25 and my sons club team has 8 kids wanting to play, my son being one.  Part of me thinks it would be ok as 3v3 is pretty spaced out but the other part of me says "its Florida dumb dumb".

So, alabama high school association just announced that football will proceed as planned in the fall.  Practices start july 27 and 1st games August 21.  They did mention that they realize there will probably be instances of game forfeiture etc.

Also, there is a 3v3 soccer tournament in Pensacola July 25 and my sons club team has 8 kids wanting to play, my son being one.  Part of me thinks it would be ok as 3v3 is pretty spaced out but the other part of me says "its Florida dumb dumb".
isn't 3v3 on a tiny field? my experience with it is that it's just as much or more physical contact than on a regular field... albeit with less players. either way- contact is contact... so you're either going to be ok with your kid having direct increased exposure (sweat, heavy breathing,  physical contact) to other kids outside of your control or not. 

we're signing the kids up for tennis camp. fortunately (now- rest of the time it's :kicksrock:  for me that they don't), the kids don't do team sports. I'd have to think long and hard about it if they did... likely wouldn't let them play games, but would participate in practices if they were run with distancing (easy for me to say in the abstract). I just wouldn't risk it- for them, or for me.

Northeast Ohio for reference... 17 yr old is playing football. They started back last month with summer workouts.  They had kids in groups of 9-10 that stayed together for every work out.  They would screen them (temperature, questions, etc..) upon arrival each day.  They would stagger start times of other groups of 9-10.  The groups would rotate through training stations together.  Coaches wear masks, but kids do their workouts without them.  One training station was indoors in the weight room.  They did not do any lifts that would require a spotter at first, but I think now they are allowing 2 spotters to be at opposite ends of the bar.  They wipe down equipment after each turn.  Kids have to bring their own water.  Just this week they moved to larger work groups where they now have half the kids going through workouts together.    They aren't doing any contact stuff yet, and really won't start actual football stuff until the end of July.  Not really sure what type of, if any, season lies ahead.  I know an outbreak recently hit one of the teams they were scheduled to scrimmage this year in the preseason.  It wouldn't have been until mid August (assuming normal schedule) but that scrimmage has already been cancelled.  

A group of my son's friends get together routinely to play basketball, 3 on 3 stuff.  I haven't let him play at all until this past Monday when I finally said he could.  I am not totally comfortable with that.  But he is already working everyday (construction labor), and doing the football thing.  I guess he is already exposed.  As AAA described above, we are gradually moving towards living with more and more risk and trying to find a reasonable balance.  

My 16 yr old is working as a life guard at the neighborhood pool.  The pool is open with limited numbers allowed entry by reservation.  Every 1 1/2 hours the pool closes and the deck is cleared for 1/2 hour.  The guards then sanitize the deck furniture and bathroom facilities.  

Both of my kids have occasionally "hung out" with small groups of friends...outdoors around the fire pit type gatherings.

Just got this from my alma mater...

Today, The Ivy League announced that there will be no sports competition in the fall term at each of the eight Ivy League schools, because of the continuing health crisis related to the pandemic.

On Tuesday July 7, President Lee C. Bollinger announced Columbia’s plans to resume instruction and return-to-campus opportunities for the 2020-21 academic year. President Sian Beilock also announced re-engagement plans for Barnard College. The Ivy League made this decision based on each membership institution’s policies and protocols in fall as it relates to COVID-19.

Below is the official announcement from the Ivy League Council of Presidents. We recognize that you may have further questions after reading this document. We will continue to share current and accurate information as this continues to develop.

The full announcement:

Ivy League Outlines Intercollegiate Athletics Plans; No Competition In Fall Semester

PRINCETON, N.J. -- Amidst continuing health and safety concerns due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the Ivy League Council of Presidents has set in place plans for intercollegiate athletics activity in the upcoming fall semester.  

With the safety and well-being of students as their highest priority, Ivy League institutions are implementing campus-wide policies including restrictions on student and staff travel, requirements for social distancing, limits on group gatherings, and regulations for visitors to campus. As athletics is expected to operate consistent with campus policies, it will not be possible for Ivy League teams to participate in intercollegiate athletics competition prior to the end of the fall semester. 

Practice and other athletic training opportunities for enrolled student-athletes will be permitted provided they are structured in accordance with each institution’s procedures and applicable state regulations. The Ivy League will also issue guidelines on a phased approach to conditioning and practice activities to allow for interaction among student-athletes and coaches that will begin with limited individual and small group workouts and build to small group practice sessions, if public health conditions permit.

Fall sport student-athletes will not use a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility in the fall, whether or not they enroll. Students who wish to pursue competition during a fifth-year will need to work with their institutions in accordance with campus policy to determine their options beyond their current anticipated graduation date.

Local campus policies for the student body regarding return to campus and in-person learning will apply to student-athletes.

A decision on the remaining winter and spring sports competition calendar, and on whether fall sport competition would be feasible in the spring, will be determined at a later date.

The Ivy League Council of Presidents offered the following joint statement: 

“As a leadership group, we have a responsibility to make decisions that are in the best interest of the students who attend our institutions, as well as the faculty and staff who work at our schools. These decisions are extremely difficult, particularly when they impact meaningful student-athlete experiences that so many value and cherish.

With the information available to us today regarding the continued spread of the virus, we simply do not believe we can create and maintain an environment for intercollegiate athletic competition that meets our requirements for safety and acceptable levels of risk, consistent with the policies that each of our schools is adopting as part of its reopening plans this fall.  

We are entrusted to create and maintain an educational environment that is guided by health and safety considerations.  There can be no greater responsibility — and that is the basis for this difficult decision.”

Daughter is 14.  Dances ballet and will be on the Cheer team this year as a freshman.  Ballet and cheer have been online.  We have allowed her to spend the night at 1 friend's house, and we have hosted her.  We are trying to limit contact.  Cheer was supposed to start up live this week with "appropriate Social Distancing," but it was moved to next week.

The only thing that changed at travel baseball was the elimination of post game handshake line, and the pregame coach/ump meeting now ends with a bunch of awkward fist and elbow bumps rather than handshakes. 

Not sure what I was expecting, but slightly surprised to see zero masks and umpires in normal positions. Parents also content to stack their tents near each other like usual. 

14 year old son starts high school in the fall and has been going to conditioning practice for soccer. Makes me nervous but they are outside.

12 year old son and 10 year old daughter have been going to hockey practices and mini-camps. Hockey rink is social distanced big time and only a certain number of kids on the ice at one time.  From what I can tell they have done a good job. Makes me nervous as hell.

My kids play lacrosse and hockey, two of the sports that were deemed "high risk" by the governor here in MA when he announced the latest guidelines last week. So while they can practice with some small-group/limited-contact restrictions, which they've been doing for the past month, no games are allowed. And I don't think that will change anytime soon. I get hockey games given they're indoors, but think the lax game ban is a bit much.

My son is a rising HS Jr who plays on a club lax team, and this is typically the season where college coaches attend his age group's tournaments leading up to Sept 1, when they are allowed to start talking to/offering kids. However the NCAA has put a freeze on in-person recruiting through at least the end of August, so they can't go to games. And all the games we'd lined up in MA are cancelled, so all the clubs are scrambling to find creative ways to line up games and have them filmed so kids can put together highlight tapes to send to coaches. So on Thursday we'll drive almost 2 hours halfway up into NH to play two games against two other teams from MA. And on Sunday, after another game in NH against an MA team in the morning, we'll drive 5 hrs to f'n NJ to play four games on Monday vs teams from DC/CT/NJ, then drive home Mon night. Zero hesitations health-wise, we'll be masked up as always when indoors and socially-distant otherwise (besides him while playing), but it is insane on multiple levels. Seems it would be safer, and a hell of a lot more convenient, to just play some games locally.  

Sports aside, I am in general cool with my kids hanging with their friends with little restriction as long as they're outdoors. 

Marching band practice was supposed to start this week.  This week was going to be percussion only for a few hours a night, outdoors and easily space out.  But they cancelled it due to the uncertainty of what's going on.  

Daughter was to do another 7 week debate camp at Georgetown this summer.  They are doing it all via Zoom.

Got a questionnaire from her high school asking what students would be willing to attend school via some combination of online/zoom stuff.  She said she would volunteer for that. 

Marching band practice was supposed to start this week.  This week was going to be percussion only for a few hours a night, outdoors and easily space out.  But they cancelled it due to the uncertainty of what's going on.  
Ours has been the same. Just on hold.  Have heard a few surrounding counties have practiced some.

Up in the mountains. Everyone here is very mask conscious. 

Kids have gone mountain bike riding. And rode quads today. Zero issues with social distancing. 

My kids play lacrosse and hockey, two of the sports that were deemed "high risk" by the governor here in MA when he announced the latest guidelines last week. So while they can practice with some small-group/limited-contact restrictions, which they've been doing for the past month, no games are allowed. And I don't think that will change anytime soon. I get hockey games given they're indoors, but think the lax game ban is a bit much.

My son is a rising HS Jr who plays on a club lax team, and this is typically the season where college coaches attend his age group's tournaments leading up to Sept 1, when they are allowed to start talking to/offering kids. However the NCAA has put a freeze on in-person recruiting through at least the end of August, so they can't go to games. And all the games we'd lined up in MA are cancelled, so all the clubs are scrambling to find creative ways to line up games and have them filmed so kids can put together highlight tapes to send to coaches. So on Thursday we'll drive almost 2 hours halfway up into NH to play two games against two other teams from MA. And on Sunday, after another game in NH against an MA team in the morning, we'll drive 5 hrs to f'n NJ to play four games on Monday vs teams from DC/CT/NJ, then drive home Mon night. Zero hesitations health-wise, we'll be masked up as always when indoors and socially-distant otherwise (besides him while playing), but it is insane on multiple levels. Seems it would be safer, and a hell of a lot more convenient, to just play some games locally.  

Sports aside, I am in general cool with my kids hanging with their friends with little restriction as long as they're outdoors. 
Interesting. I didn't think Lax was up and running in nj either since it's high risk... 

Softball/baseball is considered medium and we just started game 7/7

None really. Wife n two girls. 

Most we’ve done is gone out to eat outside at a steak joint. We've gone to my wife’s sister’s house about one a month to hang out. 

We have upgraded the backyard with a new trampoline and swing set for the girls. Pull up bar and dip station for me. Planters for the wife. I’m restoring a go kart. Lots of yard work and landscaping. 

As far as getting out of the yard/house:

-We are planning a day trip to the beach as a text run before dropping $2,000-$3,000 for the week. 

-Also going tubing on the Shenandoah next week. 

We are thinking of getting a few estimates for an in ground pool. We are considering dumping about $100,000 into the house between the pool, 3 concrete patios, a shed and windows. 

Interesting. I didn't think Lax was up and running in nj either since it's high risk... 

Softball/baseball is considered medium and we just started game 7/7
Would love if they pulled the plug but apparently they're letting us play in Tinton Falls.

Son's football workouts were cancelled for the rest of the week as one of the players was in "close contact" with a COVID + person.  Found out later through the grapevine that the positive person is the kid's father.  That player is currently not showing any symptoms, but will quarantine over the next couple weeks.  Football will look to resume workouts next week.  I hate to see my son lose his senior year, but it seems inevitable that this is not getting off the ground.

First NJ soccer practice yesterday.  Looked like a regular practice from what I could see.  Scrimmage against a team from another town in 'Summer League' starting Sunday.  Feels lowish risk at a micro level, but like a bad idea at a macro level.

Users who are viewing this thread