Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Covid and Kids Activities

I'm letting my kid participate in the following activities  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have been to two softball tournaments in the last 3 weeks: each in a different state. The first one was in my home state and has pretty strict rules for wearing masks and social distancing - the organizers of the even reiterated that, but made no effort to enforce the rules. The second one was in MD, where the state rules are less strict... but the tournament directors were all over the safety rules, and people were generally social distancing and wearing masks.  We are heading back to the same PA location this weekend... my guess is they are going to start canceling events there if they are run the same way. 

My son started summer camp at the local park last week - just 3 hours each morning, mostly playground style games.  Masks are not required, and they are not taking temps.  They are relying on parents to keeps kids home who are not well.  It is pretty much the only time my son has been out of the house since #coronathon started.  He woke up sick today.  No fever or anything, but we kept him home.  I am going to hate myself real hard if it turns out to be something significant. 

USABL (NJ travel ball league) sent an email last week threatening that Murphy will cancel baseball if masks and social distancing aren't being followed. The one tournament we went to we saw no masks, kids and families on top of each other. LL started and we received guidelines that nobody is following. I manage and wear a mask while talking to my team because I would hate for baseball to be cancelled.

29 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

We have been to two softball tournaments in the last 3 weeks: each in a different state. The first one was in my home state and has pretty strict rules for wearing masks and social distancing - the organizers of the even reiterated that, but made no effort to enforce the rules. The second one was in MD, where the state rules are less strict... but the tournament directors were all over the safety rules, and people were generally social distancing and wearing masks.  We are heading back to the same PA location this weekend... my guess is they are going to start canceling events there if they are run the same way. 

My son started summer camp at the local park last week - just 3 hours each morning, mostly playground style games.  Masks are not required, and they are not taking temps.  They are relying on parents to keeps kids home who are not well.  It is pretty much the only time my son has been out of the house since #coronathon started.  He woke up sick today.  No fever or anything, but we kept him home.  I am going to hate myself real hard if it turns out to be something significant. 

Yeah I mentioned earlier. Pa and De we pretty much have been the only team trying to follow all the rules.    They have structured the tournaments a little different to minimize people and hanging out

On 7/15/2020 at 10:02 AM, Galileo said:

Son's football workouts were cancelled for the rest of the week as one of the players was in "close contact" with a COVID + person.  Found out later through the grapevine that the positive person is the kid's father.  That player is currently not showing any symptoms, but will quarantine over the next couple weeks.  Football will look to resume workouts next week.  I hate to see my son lose his senior year, but it seems inevitable that this is not getting off the ground.

Got notice today that the kid has tested positive and the team has been shut down at a minimum until the 29th.  It is looking grim for the season, and my son is really bummed right now.  I don't think he had any close contact with the kid since he was a freshman skill position guy and my son is a senior lineman.  At least they weren't physically grouped together for anything.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:23 AM, belljr said:

Interesting. I didn't think Lax was up and running in nj either since it's high risk... 

Softball/baseball is considered medium and we just started game 7/7

got a text yesterday from a gb in NJ from his kid's lax practice... so it's up some places.

we were in MD, near OC and went to the beach a bunch before we came back to NYC beginning of July. it got worse and worse down there as people reverted to "normal" OC summer- beach was packed by the end of June, starting with social distancing on the sand but with people just filling in the spaces the early birds had left for themselves. no masks on or off the beach. Assateague, as always, was less crowded and more distanced.

went to the Rockaways on Tuesday- took a subway instead of the ferry (not likely to do that again). outside of every group blasting bluetooth speakers, they all did a great job distancing... even in the water. and everybody wore masks while walking from the boardwalk to finding their spot on the beach. 

Iv'e taken 9yo Floppinha to play tennis a couple times, and to the playground across the street to shoot hoops and ride her bike. everybody in masks and socially distancing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thus far for fall...while sports are trying to happen...marching band not so much.  All the competitions have been cancelled...several schools in surrounding counties did shortened summer camps.  Ours not so much.  They are trying to get some more virtual drum lessons in for the percussion which will be good for my son.  Sucks for the seniors...the main competition was cancelled when they were freshman (held at MTSU in murfreesboro and there were "White Lives Matter" protests going on) and now as seniors cancelled due to covid.  Happy they got to win that competition last year.  For the percussion, its likely Jr. and Sr. years the winter Drumline seasons won't really happen.

Daughter just had her dance recital.  In a barn with maybe half of the dance studio participating...maybe a little more than that.  Had people spread out in covered areas outside the barn for the most part...then chairs spread inside the staging area where people could come in to see their kid perform then slide out to let other parents in for the next dance.  Wiping down the dance floor between dances...everyone in masks and keeping distanced (kids...well, harder to distance and dance...they altered several dances to let it happen for the most part).  Didn't feel unsafe and was well done.  For the next year they have limited their class sizes to 3-4 kids per class so there won't be as many people in the studio ever at a time (they ended up doing private or 2-3 kid lessons some this past year or larger groups outside in the parking lot when the weather permitted...and also zoom classes).  Tough on them as it was their second year as a studio and I know they are struggling a bit financially...and they are really good people so I hope they can keep going...my daughter already said she wants to student teach there when she is a Jr. and Sr. in high school.

So I'm not liking what we see now from softball tournaments.  The good. The facilities are doing great with scheduling , keeping crowds down to minimums and cleaning between games.

The bad are teams pretty much stopped with distancing. We've tried and still are one of the few teams that spread the kids out. But as games start they all eventually congregate in the dugouts. And it's tough to keep them spread out.  We wear masks when around them and such but on a whole it's getting harder each week. 

35 minutes ago, belljr said:

So I'm not liking what we see now from softball tournaments.  The good. The facilities are doing great with scheduling , keeping crowds down to minimums and cleaning between games.

The bad are teams pretty much stopped with distancing. We've tried and still are one of the few teams that spread the kids out. But as games start they all eventually congregate in the dugouts. And it's tough to keep them spread out.  We wear masks when around them and such but on a whole it's getting harder each week. 

Tryouts have been just as bad so far... we have a full week of them lined up and I am not expecting to see any social distancing at this point. 

47 minutes ago, belljr said:

We had our second tournament this past weekend. Zero masks, zero social distancing, kids all together, large crowds. Little league starting today. Kids and coaches are supposed to wear masks in the dugout. Im a manager and plan on enforcing it but with what I've seen it'll be tough.

IMO it's only a matter of time until youth sports get shut down again. That being said our numbers are still low here so who knows.

It annoys me because all it takes is for people to wear a mask and some extra precautions and these kids can keep playing but everyone refuses to do so. But once the #s start increasing and things get shut down they'll be the first ones complaining "let the kids play".

• Like 2

Our experience with masks and little league has been substantially better than yours. Coaches are masked up at all time. For our dugout we have orange cones spread 6' apart with each kid's name written on one setup just outside the usual dugout (BYOC). The kids generally do a good job keeping their distance and masked up when their team is up to bat. Bleachers are roped off with parents setting up shop all along the fence stretching to each outfield. The only time I've really seen a social distancing problem has been in pregame, but it's gotten better as the season has progressed. Coaches realized they can't keep the kids apart in line, so they recruited an extra two parents for pregame so each group would be smaller.

Oh the parent distancing has been great and we as coaches are all masked when needed.

We had the tournament director compliment us because each kid has a chair with their bag spread down the foulines. But the more games we play the less the kids sit in their chairs 

No other team even tried. It's also hard because some kids hang out outside of softball. So each week they eventually end up all in the dugout together.

The first couple weeks all the kids were vigilant and it gets less each week

Edited by belljr

• 4 weeks later...

Son's marching band has been practicing 3 nights a week.  With all state and national competitions canceled, they were only going to be doing 3 home football games.

We heard today that because the end zone bleachers aren't big enough for the kids to safely space out during the game and that the 15% stadium capacity rule wouldn't allow any band parents into the games, that they won't be playing at the games now. 

Pretty bummed for him.  No idea what they are going to do now.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, shuke said:

Son's marching band has been practicing 3 nights a week.  With all state and national competitions canceled, they were only going to be doing 3 home football games.

We heard today that because the end zone bleachers aren't big enough for the kids to safely space out during the game and that the 15% stadium capacity rule wouldn't allow any band parents into the games, that they won't be playing at the games now. 

NYC public schools chancellor has said no music in NYC schools. 

My son goes to a music school. Things are just a little confusing.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, shuke said:

Yeah...our son's just canceled it all when competitions were canceled.  Not sure why they are doing nothing at all though.  Just figured they can get each section together separately just to keep playing some.  You have freshman that haven't been there or through a camp that don't know the other kids...and for drummers, the freshman barely know how to properly hold the sticks...much less walk around strapped to a drum. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Not really kids anymore, but my college-aged son just found out they cancelled golf this fall. If you cant golf, you might as well pack everything else up. 

Really?  wow....they didn't even THINK about shutting golf courses down here in the wild wild west of Florida, even when we had 10K+ cases a day.  That seems really dumb.  I can't think of a safer sport if I'm being honest.  I DID notice they weren't letting people ride in the same cart together, but that was about it.

1 hour ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Not really kids anymore, but my college-aged son just found out they cancelled golf this fall. If you cant golf, you might as well pack everything else up. 

My 72 year old father has not missed one day of golf this year.   That stinks for your son.  

2 hours ago, The Commish said:

Really?  wow....they didn't even THINK about shutting golf courses down here in the wild wild west of Florida, even when we had 10K+ cases a day.  That seems really dumb.  I can't think of a safer sport if I'm being honest.  I DID notice they weren't letting people ride in the same cart together, but that was about it.

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Were all fall sports postponed?

At this point, maybe all are sports are shut down. Im not sure? As far as I know, he still has baseball practice. I also dont understand the timing. They reported to school, had an initial meeting going over the standard stuff. Here's when you can practice, schedule coaching session and how to qualify for competitions (only 6 men and 6 women can compete), etc. 2 days later, he finds out the NCAA cancelled the season.The golf courses themselves are certainly not closed. He didnt make it to the meeting so the reason is not clear to him. The ONLY thing my little mind can come up with is concerns over the 12 golfers traveling to the matches. 

2 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

At this point, maybe all are sports are shut down. Im not sure? As far as I know, he still has baseball practice. I also dont understand the timing. They reported to school, had an initial meeting going over the standard stuff. Here's when you can practice, schedule coaching session and how to qualify for competitions (only 6 men and 6 women can compete), etc. 2 days later, he finds out the NCAA cancelled the season.The golf courses themselves are certainly not closed. He didnt make it to the meeting so the reason is not clear to him. The ONLY thing my little mind can come up with is concerns over the 12 golfers traveling to the matches. 

I'm certainly not paying attention to what's going on at every college, but our conference postponed all fall sports to spring a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure logistically what we're doing as far as offseason training is concerned, but best to my knowledge practice decisions are dictated by the school.

5 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Yeah...our son's just canceled it all when competitions were canceled.  Not sure why they are doing nothing at all though.  Just figured they can get each section together separately just to keep playing some.  You have freshman that haven't been there or through a camp that don't know the other kids...and for drummers, the freshman barely know how to properly hold the sticks...much less walk around strapped to a drum. 

Even if they end up not having any public performances I hope they keep practicing to give the kids something to do.

9 hours ago, sho nuff said:

4 hours ago, shuke said:

Even if they end up not having any public performances I hope they keep practicing to give the kids something to do.

At our school, band is a class for credit, so they will continue to march and play regardless of athletic events.  Right now, we are still moving forward with the football season.  First game is this Friday.  The band intends to play for all the home games.

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

At our school, band is a class for credit, so they will continue to march and play regardless of athletic events.  Right now, we are still moving forward with the football season.  First game is this Friday.  The band intends to play for all the home games.

It is a class credit for ours too...but for this year they have gone with a block scheduling...so he has 4 classes this fall and 4 this spring.  Instead of alternating A and B days of 8 classes.  His percussion class is in the spring.

6 hours ago, Galileo said:

My son also is in band class, but it's separate from marching band.  Marching is extracurricular activity.

20 hours ago, shuke said:

My son also is in band class, but it's separate from marching band.  Marching is extracurricular activity.

Gotcha. Ours is one in the same thing.  The Marching Band IS the class.  They switch to "concert band" after the football season, but it is all part of the class.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 1:04 PM, shuke said:

Found out today they are going to do a non-competition show in October and another show for band families at some point.  Still trying to figure out if they can send smaller groups to football games.  Good news is that they are not totally cancelling it.

• Like 1