What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVonta Smith, PHI (1 Viewer)

Reminds me of Anthony Carter...a lot!
Man, that takes me back.  Smith may be a bit taller, but they are built just alike: long, spindly legs and thin as a rail.  Anthony Carter was more of a speed demon than Smith is, if memory serves (perhaps just my perception due to being a different era of football), but man are they similar.  They both attack the ball in the air and glide away from defenders.

This guy is electric.  Love to see him slip to #11 for the Giants, but no way 10 teams pass on him.
Not a chance 

Saw a comparison that he was a quicker Stefon Diggs. Sounds like an early 1st round pick. 
Diggs just looks a lot sturdier 

best college wr of all time
Great season and definitely in the discussion. Moss and Larry Fitzgerald also come to mind. Ja’Marr Chase just had a heck of a year.  Desmond Howard’s share of yards and TDs relative to that Michigan offense was also incredible. Over his final 2 seasons at Michigan he caught 30 of Michigan’s 46 TD passes and had 50% of all passing yards. If he came back for his senior year, who knows what kind of ridiculous numbers he could have posted. 

Not a chance 

Great season and definitely in the discussion. Moss and Larry Fitzgerald also come to mind. Ja’Marr Chase just had a heck of a year.  Desmond Howard’s share of yards and TDs relative to that Michigan offense was also incredible. Over his final 2 seasons at Michigan he caught 30 of Michigan’s 46 TD passes and had 50% of all passing yards. If he came back for his senior year, who knows what kind of ridiculous numbers he could have posted. 
hoping for eagles to get smith or chase at 6.  

Not a chance 

what i love about smith is he is such a small guy but totally takes over the game.  its crazy to watch

Great chance for it assuming that’s the direction they want to go (sure seems like they need it). I assume their cap situation isn’t great and would make it tough for them to pursue ARob, Golladay or Godwin?

Great chance for it assuming that’s the direction they want to go (sure seems like they need it). I assume their cap situation isn’t great and would make it tough for them to pursue ARob, Golladay or Godwin?
They have no money.  They are going to have to shed multiple starters so I doubt they do anything in free agency

Cant see any way one of them does not make it to Philly at 6. Either one will be a great, needed fit. He would draw the coverage that would possibly help elevate Reagor to who he was projected by the Eagles to be.

Really hoping somebody takes him before I pick fourth in dynasty draft and either Chase or Etienne falls to me. I'm not sold on this guy's pro career. Nor am I sold on Etienne's, but that's a different matter for a different day.

This guy looked great last night and this year, but I want no part of his frame. He also returned for his senior season, and that should raise red flags all over as far as predictive success in the NFL goes. 

Possible landing spots:

https://www.sportingnews.com

No. 2: New York Jets

The Jaguars will be locking into Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence at the top. The Jets have been strongly attached to Ohio State's Justin Fields at No. 2, but there's also talk of them considering a tackle or another offensive position, sticking with Sam Darnold and giving him bigger help for whoever replaces Adam Gase as head coach.

Fields went off against Clemson in the CFP semifinal to solidify his stock, but watching Smith dominate on the same field as Fields might make the Jets deviate from QB and OT, knowing the team did take Mekhi Becton for the latter position in the 2020 first round. The Jets also drafted Denzel Mims last season, but Breshad Perriman is a free agent after his first, injury-riddled season in New York. Pairing Smith with Mims, with Jamison Crowder in the slot, can't be ruled out as that could be the massive boost Darnold needs.

No. 3: Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins have this pick courtesy of the Texans, thanks to their trade of Pro Bowl tackle Laremy Tunsil. Assuming they don't use it as part of a rumored blockbuster trade for the Texans' Deshaun Watson and part ways with Tua Tagovailoa, too, they should consider getting a playmaker for Tagovailoa who can be a great complement to DeVante Parker.

Chase has been a popular pick for them because of his versatility, where he can play between Parker and the promising but oft-injured Preston Williams. With Chan Gailey gone as offensive coordinator, the Dolphins should turn to someone who makes better use of true 11 personnel for Tagovailoa (three wide receivers). So it would make sense for them to think about reuniting Smith with Tagovailoa.

No. 5: Cincinnati Bengals

The Falcons, who pick fourth, have two special former Alabama wide receivers in Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley. As tempting as it would be to add a third to help Matt Ryan, that team needs to think defense first for its new coach.

As for the Bengals, the thinking has been to upgrade pass protection for second-year franchise QB Joe Burrow with Oregon tackle Penei Sewell, should he still be available. But with A.J. Green unsigned for his Age 33 season, it also would make sense to put Smith opposite second-year second-rounder Tee Higgins, with Tyler Boyd still operating with them in the slot. Smith's speed and quickness would play well off Higgins' size all over the field.

No. 6: Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles are a big wild card in the draft, now that offensive-minded head coach Doug Pederson has been fired on the heels of defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz deciding not to return. They need some key help on both sides of the ball, and Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons is a good mesh of talent and need here.

But after taking speedy Jalen Reagor in the first round last year, it wouldn't be shocking if they go after a second playmaker for the outside and clean up a mess of fading, hurting veterans (Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson) and some disappointing youth (J.J Arcega-Whiteside). Reagor, fully replacing Jackson as the "Z" and Smith taking over "X" would be a nice combination, especially if the latter is reunited with Jalen Hurts, while keeping Greg Ward as the choice "Y" for the slot.

No. 7: Detroit Lions

This is where Smith is going in SN's latest mock with Marvin Jones Jr. heading into free agency as he turns 32 for next season. Jones had a strong year as the needed No. 1 with Kenny Golladay shelved for most of it with a hip injury. 

Whether it's more Matthew Stafford or a new QB with a new coach, the Lions should see how Smith would work well off Golladay. There's also a chance the Lions don't re-sign Golladay, leaving a big void at wideout and making a selection of either Smith or Chase an absolute must.

No. 11: New York Giants (via a trade up)

The Panthers at No. 8 need to think quarterback first. The Broncos at No. 9 just took Alabama's Jerry Jeudy in the first round last year and will get Courtland Sutton back. The Cowboys at No. 10 won't be going wide receiver again after taking Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb in the first round last year.

Meanwhile, behind them all, the Giants have every reason to get aggressive to get a top-flight wideout for Daniel Jones in Year 3. They would be candidates for a big free-agent signing such as Golladay if he makes it to the open market. But if not, Dave Gettleman should think about jumping up a few spots to grab Smith. Sterling Shepard is a strong No. 2, but Darius Slayton doesn't profile as an all-around No. 1. Smith can start outside as the "X," with Slayton as the deep threat "Z" and Shepard moving into the slot to replace strong cut candidate Golden Tate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The comparison of Smith to Anthony Carter is an interesting one. I only saw Carter near the end of his career so hard for me to say on that.

Smith is not getting past #3 to the Dolphins Brah.
Announced today that he will be going to the Senior Bowl. He won't be on the field due to his thumb injury, but will be in meetings with the Dolphins staff the entire time. You think this guy wants to be with Tua at #3 in Miami? Sure seems like it.

Announced today that he will be going to the Senior Bowl. He won't be on the field due to his thumb injury, but will be in meetings with the Dolphins staff the entire time. You think this guy wants to be with Tua at #3 in Miami? Sure seems like it.
Come on down baby!!!!

Come on down baby!!!!
Indeed. Marvin Harrison had his best seasons in the AFC East too, so would be good to have the otherside of that. Anyone can watch Tua's championship winning throw to Smith if they think he doesn't have the arm/grit to make the big pass.

Rotoworld:

Alabama WR DeVonta Smith accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl.

Score one for Jim Nagy and crew! Smith would have been forgiven for skipping the event after capping off a Heisman-winning season by winning the national championship one week ago. Instead, he becomes just the fourth Heisman winner to attend the event in the last 15 years, following Troy Smith, Tim Tebow and Baker Mayfield. Smith dominated on the gridiron this fall, posting 117 catches for 1,856 yards and 23 touchdowns. He no doubt considered the fact that the Miami Dolphins and Carolina Panthers staffs will be coaching at the event -- both teams hold picks in the top-10, with the 'Fins sitting at No. 3. If Smith can convince Miami to pick him, he would reunite with Tua Tagovailoa. The pair hooked up on a TD pass to beat Georgia in OT of the national title game a few seasons ago.

SOURCE: Senior Bowl on Twitter

Jan 18, 2021, 12:01 PM ET

Smith is not getting past #3 to the Dolphins Brah.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Ja'Marr Chase has claim to being the best receiver in college football, too. He's considered to have the best pro profile, anyway, simply due to BMI/size.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Ja'Marr Chase has claim to being the best receiver in college football, too. He's considered to have the best pro profile, anyway, simply due to BMI/size.
Is Chase participating in any of the post-season activities either? With an altered combine and a season off, curious his strategy to get in-front of coaches/scouts. Chase was rated above Smith before this season for good reason, but Smith has put a lot of impressive tape out there.

Is Chase participating in any of the post-season activities either? With an altered combine and a season off, curious his strategy to get in-front of coaches/scouts. Chase was rated above Smith before this season for good reason, but Smith has put a lot of impressive tape out there.
I'm unaware of his plans. Andy Dufresne (the commenter here) said there was no combine this year. I haven't verified that yet, but if there's no combine and Chase decides not to participate in the post-season activities, your guess where he lands is as good as mine. You'd have to think that Smith being there helps him. I'm still just unsold that a guy with a BMI like that is the obvious number one guy. Yeah, he might be, but it's not quite as obvious as people were making it. 

I'm unaware of his plans. Andy Dufresne (the commenter here) said there was no combine this year. I haven't verified that yet, but if there's no combine and Chase decides not to participate in the post-season activities, your guess where he lands is as good as mine. You'd have to think that Smith being there helps him. I'm still just unsold that a guy with a BMI like that is the obvious number one guy. Yeah, he might be, but it's not quite as obvious as people were making it. 
I read it rumored earlier, now this:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

A copy of the memo sent to NFL teams today that means the traditional Indianapolis scouting combine is off this year and there will be no in-person workouts.

NFL draft: DeVonta Smith hopes to make case at Senior Bowl to be Dolphins' No. 3 overall pick

Eric Edholm

Mon, January 18, 2021, 2:09 PM·8 min read

Every year, there’s a Senior Bowl player who becomes the talk of Mobile, Alabama. The clear favorite this year appears to be Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith, even if he doesn’t take a snap all week.

On Monday, Smith accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl, which begins next week.

Some might consider this a surprise, as the top handful of seniors will often skip the game if they feel they have nothing to gain from competing in the week’s worth of practice followed by the game.

It would appear Smith does not agree with this approach, despite his dominating the national title game in roughly one half’s work and becoming the first wide receiver to win the Heisman Trophy in nearly 30 years.

Smith seems like he wants to make a case for the Miami Dolphins to draft him No. 3 overall, even if the finger injury in the national title game will prevent him from taking part in the practices or the games.

The knocks against Smith as a prospect

There will be questions about Smith as a prospect, despite the fact that he’s one of the most decorated college wideouts ever.

His career launched when Smith caught the game-winning touchdown in overtime of the 2017 national championship victory over Georgia, and it finished with a banner first half in this year’s win over Ohio State. In between, despite playing with one of the most talented WR groups ever assembled in 2018 and 2019, Smith set school records for catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns.

Smith’s size and athletic testing numbers could create some scrutiny about whether he can be as effective in the NFL as he was in college.

Last spring, NFL scouts measured Smith at 6-foot, 1/4 inch and 170 pounds. He also had 31 1/8-inch arms and 9 1/8-inch hands. All four numbers are considered below average, but the weight is the most concerning one.

Since the 1999 scouting combine, there have been nearly 900 attendees who were categorized as wide receivers, and no position seems to offer a wider range of shapes and sizes. But the average weight of combine wideouts over the past 20-plus years has been 201.8 pounds.

Only 16 of those wide receivers have weighed in at 170 or less. Of those, the most successful NFL players have been DeSean Jackson and Marquise Brown. Both ended up top-50 selections, with Jackson sliding to Round 2 and Brown went off the board with the 25th pick to the Baltimore Ravens.

Jackson ran a 4.35 40-yard dash when he came out in 2008. Brown was unable to run or work out at the combine in 2019 because he was recovering from a Lisfranc injury.

Smith almost certainly won’t run a Jackson-caliber 40. NFL scouts last year got a verified 40 time on Smith of 4.52 seconds. Should Smith run something similar before the 2021 draft, it would put him at about the 45th percentile for the position.

Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith had a ton of success in college, but he apparently wants to continue to boost his NFL draft stock at the Senior Bowl. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)

In a year when there might not be a traditional combine, it makes sense for Smith to double down on the part of his game where he thrives most: competing between the white lines.

There’s a belief in the scouting community that Smith likely must put on weight since last spring, and he might even have grown a tiny amount (something around a quarter of an inch, we’re talking) even if he’s on the older side as a prospect, at 22 years old. There’s also a feeling that Smith could be able to better his spring speed time. Anything under a 4.5 should be considered a rousing success.

Smith is a top prospect and prolific performer because he plays fast, possesses elite feel and can attack all three levels of the field. No workout or weigh-in — up to a certain point, anyway — should undercut those elements of his game.

There aren’t a whole lot of athletes who have entered the draft with a frame and athleticism similar to Smith who bring rare, elite production. NFL teams always are leery of over-drafting “exceptions,” even if they always exist.

The most dramatic moment for Smith’s week likely will be early in the morning of Jan. 25 when the Senior Bowl conducts its official weigh-in. The players typically will walk shirtless across a stage in front of hundreds of scouts and NFL talent evaluators — although pandemic restrictions might alter the format this year — to step on a scale and be measured.

Did Smith lose weight during a long college season that ended a mere week ago? Or will the number be a pleasant surprise for scouts who hope the number is closer to the 180s? We’ll soon learn answers to those questions.

The case for Smith attending the Senior Bowl

Joe Burrow passed on his Senior Bowl invitation last year, even though the Cincinnati Bengals held the No. 1 pick and were coaching the game. It didn’t prevent that marriage from happening.

This year’s game will be coached by the staffs of the Dolphins and Carolina Panthers. Miami owns Nos. 3 and 18 overall in Round 1, and Carolina is picking eighth. The more than 110 players on the two rosters will begin padding their resumes next week when the Senior Bowl practices begin. The NFL’s other 30 teams will all be in attendance to watch and interview players.

And there will be no more fascinating connection of player and team down there than Smith and the Dolphins.

Now that the Miami brass has said that Tua Tagovailoa will be the team’s starter in 2021, the Smith connection has a stronger link. Jerry Jeudy might have seen more targets from Tagovailoa over the two-plus years the three of them played together, but Smith always seemed to be the one Tua targeted in have-to-have-it situations and in the biggest games.

Over the 2018 and 2019 seasons, when Smith and Jeudy were both healthy and Bama was facing ranked opponents, Smith had more targets (47 to 44), receptions (33 to 27), yards (563 to 435) and TD catches (5 to 4) than Jeudy, the 15th overall pick in the 2020 draft. Smith was also the more reliable of the two in those games, too, hauling in a higher percentage of his targets (69.4 percent to 61.2 percent) and having fewer drops (2 to Jeudy’s seven).

Tua Tagovailoa (13) and DeVonta Smith had a strong bond at Alabama and could continue it in the NFL. (AP Photo/Vasha Hunt)

Miami needs a wide receiver. DeVante Parker and Preston Williams are the big-bodied, big-play threats, but their week-in, week-out reliability factor hasn’t been ideal over the past few years. The Dolphins might have plans for players such as Jakeem Grant, Isaiah Ford, Lynn Bowden Jr., Mack Hollins, Malcolm Perry and even futures signing Kirk Merritt.

Adding a three-level threat such as Smith makes sense, especially with Tagovailoa the quarterback. The Dolphins always felt limited in the passing game once he took over as the starter; his long completion this season was 35 yards.

Some of that had to do with Williams and Parker missing time while Tagovailoa was starting. But some of that also had to do with the lack of a true deep threat or YAC threat.

That’s where Smith thrived this season. On targets 20-plus yards downfield in 2020, Smith caught 15 of 28 targets for an FBS-best 589 yards and eight TDs. He also led the country in yards per route run this season at 4.39 among receivers with 50 or more targets.

As long as the Dolphins believe Smith can get away from press coverage (which he did with ease more often than not in college), and assuming he performs well at the Senior Bowl, he has to be considered one of the favorites to land in the No. 3 overall slot.

Miami also could feature Smith in the slot. He didn’t line up there a lot this season (153 snaps, or about 36.2 percent of the time), but Smith absolutely thrived inside. On 59 targets out of the slot, Smith caught 46 passes for 863 yards with 12 TDs and one dropped pass.

A reunion with Tagovailoa is one reason why Smith might want to compete in Mobile. Another is financial: The difference in salary between Miami’s No. 3 overall pick and, say, Carolina’s No. 8 pick could be more than $13 million.

Can Smith spending the week with Brian Flores and the Dolphins’ staff make the difference? It couldn’t hurt. It might even be a chance to start picking up some of the team’s offensive verbiage and bonding with Miami’s coaches.

After all, simply attending the event has to send a message to the NFL that Smith loves to compete. If he didn’t love competition, he easily could have transferred away from Bama’s historically stacked WR group or bowed out of this game, especially with the injury.

But he’s headed to Mobile on a mission, and we suspect it’s with Miami on his mind.

Deranged Hermit said:
If I'm Miami, there's no way I take either WR over Sewell. 
I agree with this from a team building perspective.

Their defense was further along than I thought they were but this team still needs help in the trenches and Sewell looks like he is the best of what isn't a bad offensive line class.

I also wanted to say that without a combine and wonky 2020 college season analytics types will have nothing to work with.

Great time to be a tape watcher without all that data getting in the way.

Deranged Hermit said:
If I'm Miami, there's no way I take either WR over Sewell. 

Their defense was further along than I thought they were but this team still needs help in the trenches and Sewell looks like he is the best of what isn't a bad offensive line class.
They picked tackles in the first and second rounds last year.

They picked tackles in the first and second rounds last year.
Could move one to guard. I just know what I saw, and their line wasn't that good. 
Jackson/Hunt did well individually, although the former dealt with injuries. Hunt at RT could be kicked inside due to his strengths in the run-game. However, it was really the center of the line that needs addressing.

I agree that Sewell is a really strong prospect. I'm still wondering if the Jets take him at #2.

Assuming they don’t trade for Watson they could move down as well for more picks. It’s a loaded WR class, Miami could still get a very good one at 18.

He's not the top WR in the class.  If the Dolphins did go WR, which I doubt, they should go Chase or trade down. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Buckna said:
Assuming they don’t trade for Watson they could move down as well for more picks. It’s a loaded WR class, Miami could still get a very good one at 18.
If Watson is available for trade I think about half of the teams should consider paying a 1st plus for him.

The Dolphins just drafted Tua so I am not sure they are one of those teams although it would improve their team as well.

What makes you think Chase is better than Smith?
A lot of reasons, mostly profile based. 

Their current age.  Their breakout age.  Smiths lack of size. The fact that Smith likely wasn't graded high enough last year by the DAB to declare early.

All of those favor Chase. Working against Chase is just recency bias. 

The ‘Greatest College WR Career of all time’....
Still not buying "greatest". But those debates are never that fruitful. It suffices to say that he had an all time great final season.

Michael Crabtree, for example had a line of 134/1962/22...as a redshirt freshman.

A lot of reasons, mostly profile based. 

Their current age.  Their breakout age.  Smiths lack of size. The fact that Smith likely wasn't graded high enough last year by the DAB to declare early.

All of those favor Chase. Working against Chase is just recency bias. 
It is a 2 year difference in age between them.

Last year was an amazing WR draft class but I think Smith would have been near the top of those WR but I guess thats worth looking into further.

Chase didn't have as many receptions as Jefferson with Burrow but he did have more TD and yards. I can see why some think he is better than Jefferson. Based on Jefferson setting rookie records I think its very unlikely that Chase breaks those in 2021.

As for recency bias Smith did just put up a season better than what Chase did last year with Burrow and epically good offense

Being curious I did a search on all teams drafting skill players 1st or 2nd round since 2000.

The Bengals have drafted 6 skill players over this time frame which is tied with the Eagles and Denver for the most over the last 20 years.

The Saints and Falcons have drafted the fewest skill players over this time frame with only one each.

Still not buying "greatest". But those debates are never that fruitful. It suffices to say that he had an all time great final season.

Michael Crabtree, for example had a line of 134/1962/22...as a redshirt freshman.
That was a crazy season for Crabtree, but I think Smith gets an edge for doing it in all SEC or playoff games. He only played about half of the championship game too. This comparison does highlight a big knock on Smith, the late breakout age.

By ‘career’ I’m including both individual and team trophies and catching one of biggest passes in history. I could be wrong, but doesn’t seem like I can find another career close.

It is a 2 year difference in age between them.

Last year was an amazing WR draft class but I think Smith would have been near the top of those WR but I guess thats worth looking into further.

Chase didn't have as many receptions as Jefferson with Burrow but he did have more TD and yards. I can see why some think he is better than Jefferson. Based on Jefferson setting rookie records I think its very unlikely that Chase breaks those in 2021.

As for recency bias Smith did just put up a season better than what Chase did last year with Burrow and epically good offense
2 years is a significant difference at this stage in a player's development.

MAC_32 said:
2 years is a significant difference at this stage in a player's development.
Okay but as far as college production goes Smith was also splitting time with Jerry Juedy, Henry Ruggs and Calvin Ridley during his time at Alabama.

Okay but as far as college production goes Smith was also splitting time with Jerry Juedy, Henry Ruggs and Calvin Ridley during his time at Alabama.
...and Chase was splitting time with Justin Jefferson and Terrance Marshall. Chase broke out in a crowded WR room aged 19 - Devonta age 21. I think considering the why behind Devonta's late breakout matters and this is still just one metric to consider, but when evaluating this particular one the answer is quite clear.

Interesting that Smith declined to have height and weight recorded.  It undoubtedly means he's less than the 6'1"/175 lbs at which he is listed.

Yes, he was extremely productive but I wonder if he was on the order of 5'11"/155 lbs.

He will most likely be living at McDonalds and Arby's to put on weight now...

Interesting that Smith declined to have height and weight recorded.  It undoubtedly means he's less than the 6'1"/175 lbs at which he is listed.

Yes, he was extremely productive but I wonder if he was on the order of 5'11"/155 lbs.

He will most likely be living at McDonalds and Arby's to put on weight now...
He’s not 20 pounds less than reported. Maybe an inch but 100% not 20 pounds off 

I’ve seen his 40 come up a bit and just for perspective:

40-yard times of highest graded WRs in 2020:
1) Devante Adams: 4.56
2) Justin Jefferson: 4.49
3) A.J. Brown: 4.43
4) Stefon Diggs: 4.46
5) Allen Robinson: 4.60
6) Deandre Hopkins: 4.57
7) Adam Thielen: 4.49

Users who are viewing this thread