What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (1 Viewer)

Here's what I'm thinking about for Free Plays.

After rounds 15, 20, 25 and 30, we'll roll dice between the three most popular years (i.e. years with the most selected songs) to choose the Free Play year.  For example, if 1969 is the Free Play, all drafters will be able to choose a second song from that year.  The Free Play must be used before it's time for the next roll.  A year rolled for the Free Play is eliminated from consideration from future Free Play rounds.

After round 40, all drafters get one individual Free Play to double up on a year of their choosing.

ETA:  Free Plays are optional.  If you want to be a :nerd: and draft songs from 50 years instead of 45, be my guest.
Free play logistics question. If after round 15 I haven’t drafted a song from 1969 yet (in the scenario you mentioned above), I basically wouldn’t get a bonus 1969 pick - unless I choose two 1969 songs between rounds 15 and 20. Am I interpreting this correctly, or is the Friday buzz starting to kick in early. 

Free play logistics question. If after round 15 I haven’t drafted a song from 1969 yet (in the scenario you mentioned above), I basically wouldn’t get a bonus 1969 pick - unless I choose two 1969 songs between rounds 15 and 20. Am I interpreting this correctly, or is the Friday buzz starting to kick in early. 
No you'd get two 1969 songs.  The free play would be in addition to your regular 1969 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
No you'd get two 1969 songs.  The free play would be in addition to your regular 1969 pick.
But if I hadn’t already drafted a 1969 song in the first 15 rounds, the only way I’d get two is if I take 2 between rounds 15 and 20 (before the free play for 1969 expires). 

1.12 Welcome to the Jungle, Guns 'n' Roses (1987)

Greatest rock single of all time

@Pitchfork
I can honestly & clearly remember the 1st time that I heard this song. 

It was late '87 & I was hanging in a fraternity bro's room. His roommate burst the door open as we were cutting some lines of coke and put in the cassette - set ta dis song. 

Just as he hit play, I tooted me horn wit da snow. It was my 1st real blow buzz. 

They both hit me at once - same time... 

I jolted up and exclaimed, "This #### is good! I bet it catches on!" 

Not sure which one I was actually commenting on, cause they seemed the same... at the time. 

Dang. 

But if I hadn’t already drafted a 1969 song in the first 15 rounds, the only way I’d get two is if I take 2 between rounds 15 and 20 (before the free play for 1969 expires). 
I forgot we can't double up on years until round 15...that throws a monkey wrench in how I was planning to organize my draft as a history lesson. Hmmmm

I'm confused...why would you need to take the non-free-play one between rounds 15 and 20?

I'm confused...why would you need to take the non-free-play one between rounds 15 and 20?
I’m basically saying you lose the post 15 free play if you didn’t already pick a song from the year that is chosen. 

And the post 15 free play goes away when the post 20 free play is chosen. 

And I’m way overthinking this. 

And I’m high. 

If you've already picked a 1969 song, you'll get a Free Play for another to use between rounds 16 and 20.

If you haven't drafted a 1969 song, you'd have two picks.  One to use in rounds 16-20 and one to use whenever.

I can be skipped.

No idea what's going on here...didn't read any "rules" or "this what we're doing here" yet. I assume there's music of some kind.

Just an FYI - the power is out at my house, has been out since like 9:30 this morning.  Some transformer cables blew out since we're in the midst of a heat wave.  I went to the office to get some work done but once I go home I may not have power this evening.  Our electric company is projecting tomorrow morning for the power to be restored.  If I come up in the meantime, feel free to skip me.
Bump

I'm going with 1 hit wonders but also including bands that have 1 song I like whether it was actually a hit or not. My jukebox is going in my basement and will contain a mix of rock and dance so there's something for any kind of crowd. 

When I considered dropping this theme I was going to do cover songs instead. This pick and a bunch more fit both themes . This is one of my all time fav songs,this is my fav version and as a bonus they are from Detroit.

1/17- House of the Rising Sun) Frijid Pink (1970)

I'll add a link later.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6DU7X9yhp4xgkhNHJxgEOZ?si=R4S9qs33Sk2ld9Kg1eBrdw

I figured out how to post Spotify links on my phone!!  Now how do I edit it to show song and artist instead of the long string of text?

And right now, right now, right now it's time to .... KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHER ####ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rd 1:

Kick out the Jams by the MC5 (1969)

b side: Motor City is Burning

Recorded live at the legendary Grade Ballroom, the MC5 served as the house band for the venue which was the spot for the Detroit area youth to see such upcoming acts as Cream, Led Zeppelin and jazz stars like John Coltrane. Acts from all over the States and Europe came to perform in front one of the hippest and most knowledgeable audiences anywhere. The funniest part is that the Grande Ballroom was owned and ran by a local Dearborn high school teacher. Weird today to think a high school teacher would also be the owner and runner of a psychedelic music venue where teen drug use was rampant. 

Here is some of the cool art work from Grande Ballroom artists who advertised their shows via handbills

- Free John Sinclair and end marijuana prohibition concert

-BB King concert

As for the song and album, recorded on Devil's Night and Halloween 1968, it's high energy and MFer opening basically birthed punk music. Just one of the many genres of music that the Motor City left an indelible mark on. As I go through this draft, I will highlight the historical impact Detroit has made on music and explore the weaving of various genres. I started with Kick out the Jams because it's one of the songs I most feared missing out on and because it's makes for a hell of an opening track to a playlist/jukebox. I was planning on doing the rest in a somewhat chronological method with artists grouped into 10 chapters. I forgot about the particular rules about when years can be doubled up so I might have to break my general outline. But however I figure it out, for my next pick, we will be rewinding the clock all the way back to the 1920s to trace how a bunch of white suburban baby boomers turned Southeast Michigan into one of the hot beds of the counter culture with blues based rock music anthems. 

I figured out how to post Spotify links on my phone!!  Now how do I edit it to show song and artist instead of the long string of text?
At the top of your post, the board will show you the options for bold, italics, underline, emoji and there is a little fence link looking logo. That link logo allows you add the url on the top line and the text you want displayed on the bottom line. 

Users who are viewing this thread