What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (3 Viewers)

Ok here we go...

I have been surrounded by women all my life, with 7 sisters and three daughters along with my lovely wife of 28 years, so this jukebox will be Girl Names tunes... the next 11 will be the name tracks dedicated to my wife, daughters, mom and sisters..  but for now we kick off the theme with the b52s!

The b52’s - 52 girls - 1979 

this is actually the B side, so I’ll take the A side as well, Rock Lobster!  But technically I want the version that is on the debut record, so it will be from 1979.... so I guess I will have to forfeit Rock Lobster... 

follow along on Spotify 

MPH - Jukebox - 52Girls

A couple other interesting tidbits about the MC5 and “Kick Out the Jams”

- I always assumed the title of the song  meant that the MC5 were about to play some hard rocking music but that’s not the origin. “Kick out the jams” was a slogan they would use regularly meaning it’s time for those jam bands to get off the stage. Some of the acts would jam on and on which the crowd and the MC5 didn’t always go in for so “kick out the jams” meant it was time for the jam band to get off the stage so the MC5 could rock out. Seems very fitting for our encouraged brevity with our jukebox choices.

- They played an 8 hour set at the protests of the 68 Democratic convention 

- With help from The Black Panthers, they helped form The White Panthers. 

- They all lived at a house in Ann Arbor that my dad has been to many times. The house was a non-stop party of rockers, extreme left political groups and U of M students. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting off my theme (which will be evident after a couple picks) with a bang. Yo Mama selects:

1.23 - Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name - 1992

I’m also taking one of the demos that were released with the single as my B-side - Darkness Of Greed.  My friend had the KITN cassette single and I played this extra song a lot. I was excited when this ended up on the awesome soundtrack of The Crow

My theme is basically "songs I really like," but a common thread is they have a certain drive or momentum to them. A lot of them have been used as concert openers or closers, or could be. There will be a lot of hard rock, but it's not limited to that. I will try to stick to the original 6-minute limit because that's a personal challenge, as many of my favorite songs are long. 

Many of my early picks will be from years where I have a clear favorite.

I am a raving Neil Young fanatic and this song, which came out my freshman year of college, kicked that into overdrive.

1.25 Neil Young -- Rockin' in the Free World

Year: 1989

Album: Freedom

B-side: Rockin' in the Free World (acoustic)

My second pick is from the album that brought hard rock back into pop culture after the '80s did its best to kill it.

2.01 Guns 'N' Roses -- Sweet Child O'Mine

Year: 1987

Album: Appetite for Destruction

B-side: It's So Easy (live) (lyrics NSFW)

Back to @MAC_32

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a tough pick for me since I have about 4 or so must haves for my theme and there’s almost 50 picks between mine here. I’ll go with this selection since the other songs on my short list are more replaceable for their years and I’d have a hard time finding a good fit for this year. Yo Mama selects:

2.03 - Kendrick Lamar - Alright - 2015

I’m posting the full video here since it’s such a powerful, perfect image for the moment, but the song itself is under 4 minutes for my jukebox playlist.  No b-side for this one  

My theme/jukebox sounds like a memoir from a civil rights legend:

Yo Mama’s Jukebox

50 Years of Unrest and Protest

This is a tough pick for me since I have about 4 or so must haves for my theme and there’s almost 50 picks between mine here. 
I spent more time than I care to admit prioritizing my first 6 picks yesterday. Which of the most popular ones are most likely to go first? In what order? And which ones come with backup plans? 

I still don't feel comfortable with my decision, but we'll see where things are in (gulp) 4 dozen picks. 

I spent more time than I care to admit prioritizing my first 6 picks yesterday. Which of the most popular ones are most likely to go first? In what order? And which ones come with backup plans? 
I wasn't sure if I was gonna take Sweet Child in the first pair, but once I saw that Welcome to the Jungle went, I knew I was going to have to. The other song that I had initially thought was going in my first pair has a better chance of making it back to me. 

I'm at the family cottage now and for now of the next two weeks. It's raining today but needed, we've been in the middle of one of the longest droughts I can remember. 

Going to do some afternoon research but I think this is a good setting for me to be dipping into some Canadiana shtick. The Neil Young songs I took in round one certainly fit. 

Also, because it's raining and I'm not sitting in a screen porch, I have gone with an early DIPA. Soft Sound by Badlands. It's extremely good. I promise to stay away from the PSA while drinking it. 

Pretty good though, eh?
Rain always livens things up. 

As for Ferrari, it's tough to read too much into a wet qualifying session.  They were still mid-pack yesterday but Vettel said the aero improvements made the car more driveable so maybe they'll be a bit more racy when the lights go out on Sunday.

Just wanted to thank Eephus for the invite.  I can't believe it's been four years since the last jukebox draft; I play that mix constantly.  

Honestly I just didn't feel like a draft commitment right now.  I'd rather follow along when I can.  Enjoy, all!   
I looked at the thread recently and you had some great write-ups in that one.

Zamboni's draft spot is still unclaimed if you want to leave the COVID thread

Detroit is absolutely dominating this draft so far: Marvin, Smokey, MC5 and Frijid Pink.
Have you ever seen or know the name of the Grande Ballroom documentry?

Also, I graduated from a Catholic school in Harper Woods. One of the teachers told us that in 1970 the MC5 played there for homecoming. They freaked out the nuns and priests and they never allowed live music again, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread