What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (2 Viewers)

Have you ever seen or know the name of the Grande Ballroom documentry?

Also, I graduated from a Catholic school in Harper Woods. One of the teachers told us that in 1970 the MC5 played there for homecoming. They freaked out the nuns and priests and they never allowed live music again, lol.
Yes I have! My dad was so excited when that came out that he called me over to watch it with him. Also, these high school dances used to be wild. I think Bob Seger played a Dearborn High dance. My dad went there in the 60’s. They would rent out this nearby barn and charge people money to come and party why his band and other local bands played. 

Ilov80s said:
The tips to a good gin and tonic:

1. Don't be too cheap with the gin, but I don't think you need to splurge either

2. Do splurge for the tonic water, no cheap crap. Plus get the mini cans and not the big plastic bottle. That bottle will go flat before you finish it. 

3. You have to get some fresh fruit grapefruit and lime in there. 
Completely agree with 1. and 2.  Not 3.  

Yes I have! My dad was so excited when that came out that he called me over to watch it with him. Also, these high school dances used to be wild. I think Bob Seger played a Dearborn High dance. My dad went there in the 60’s. They would rent out this nearby barn and charge people money to come and party why his band and other local bands played. 
Do you know the name of it or where I can get a copy?

My 2nd pick is my wife’s name Denise, she’s also from Queens but her Dad was from Sicily not Texas 😉

2.4 Denise - Fountains of Wayne  Album: Utopia Parkway; Released: 1999

B Side is I know you well...

Denise

MPH - Jukebox - 52girls

quick edit, we also met on Utopia Parkway which is where St Johns university is located...
Sweet.

Their eponymous debut is their best album but two of their best songs come from this album, including this one (along with Hat and Feet).   I'm really happy that your wife's name isn't Stacy. 

Did you declare your theme or are you in stealth mode?
I sorta have a theme. My jukebox is a Groovebox, which means it has songs on it that make me groove. I heard "More, More, More" while driving in the car today, and remembered having the 45 back in '76. It was on Buddah Records, and had that buddah logo on it that was kinda creepy looking. I've always liked the song.

Jukebox is in the back yard next to the grill. Gonna throw songs that make you dance, nod your head, or just vibe to during a summertime cookout/house party with a big group of fam, friends, and neighbors who want to kick it and have a good summertime afternoon/evening/into the night like we used to back in normal times.

2.12 Stevie Wonder - Master Blaster (Jammin)

Hopefully the jukebox is well protected from the elements

The Roots: Jazz, Gospel and the Blues

Rd 2: I Found a New Baby by McKinney's Cotton Pickers (1929)

The big band that swung Detroit's Million Dollar Ball Room, the Graystone. Jazz was the music of the 20's and 30's and jazz drummer William McKinney and sax standout Don Redman led the biggest band in Detroit. Duke Ellington played their opening night, but it was McKinney and his Cotton Pickers that regularly packed the place. 

How fun do we think concert was? Christmas Eve, 1930....doors open at 1 AM for the midnite dance. 

And what's the deal with the name "Cotton Pickers"? That was part of a compromise. They were called McKinney's Synco Jazz Band and were invited to play the all white Graystone. However, allowing this black band in came with a caveat: a new name. In order to break the racial barrier and allow a black jazz band to play there, a more racially suggestive and submissive name was forced on them.

The financial strain of the Great Depression would see a decline in big bands in Detroit as clubs slowly opted for smaller, more affordable groups. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And what's the deal with the name "Cotton Pickers"? That was part of a compromise. They were called McKinney's Synco Jazz Band and were invited to play the all white Graystone. However, allowing this black band in came with a caveat: a new name. In order to break the racial barrier and allow a black jazz band to play there, a more racially suggestive and submissive name was forced on them.
this shtick is really cool. i am impressed with the amount of info and the links just in this one post. looking fwd to 50 rounds of this. and ####, the quoted just makes me shake my head.

this shtick is really cool. i am impressed with the amount of info and the links just in this one post. looking fwd to 50 rounds of this. and ####, the quoted just makes me shake my head.
Crazy to even imagine a Detroit where there well all white clubs given how Black the city has been my whole life.  Also I’m super interested in the idea of having a concert that starts at 1 AM on Christmas Eve. I don’t even understand the thought process for it. Party after family dinner? Did people not do family dinners on Xmas Eve then? How wild were people back then?

Crazy to even imagine a Detroit where there well all white clubs given how Black the city has been my whole life.  Also I’m super interested in the idea of having a concert that starts at 1 AM on Christmas Eve. I don’t even understand the thought process for it. Party after family dinner? Did people not do family dinners on Xmas Eve then? How wild were people back then?
Midnight Mass, dude. Go to the party after church. Makes perfect sense.

I'll bet Detroit factories ran a second shift on Christmas Eve before shutting down for the holiday.

please put me on permaskip - I will be here a lot, but it's the kind of draft where we are a lot less likely to be chasing similar songs and I hate holding people up.

Is Mr. Rannous drafting?  He should take the zamboni slot.  :)
If you guys'll have me, I'll step up and actually draft for once, rather than just throw ideas at Mrs. R and then complain at the end of the draft when favorites of mine go unpicked.  I would have to be on autoskip, as I'm much more likely to be active at (checking watch) 2:34 in the morning.  Let's see, schtick... I'll have to announce later, as I'm not sure I can actually do 50 songs on the theme I'm considering - so for now, we'll just make a pick and figure out after research if it's a theme or just stuff I like.

First pick shows that my jukebox either plays 78's as well as 45's, or there was a later repressing onto the "new" format: 

Pick 1.15:  Sing Sing Sing (With a Swing) - Benny Goodman, 1937

One of the best songs of the swing era, I wanted to take this for my Desert Island, but couldn't find an album version that wouldn't involve baggage I didn't want to take.  This is an A and a B side at 8 minutes 38 seconds, highly unusual for the time.  Apparently at a recording session, Gene Krupa wouldn't stop drumming after the 3rd chorus, where the tune was supposed to end, so Benny Goodman picked up the clarinet and noodled along with him.  Other musicians kept joining in, Krupa kept going, and one of my favorites was born.

If you guys'll have me, I'll step up and actually draft for once, rather than just throw ideas at Mrs. R and then complain at the end of the draft when favorites of mine go unpicked.  I would have to be on autoskip, as I'm much more likely to be active at (checking watch) 2:34 in the morning.  Let's see, schtick... I'll have to announce later, as I'm not sure I can actually do 50 songs on the theme I'm considering - so for now, we'll just make a pick and figure out after research if it's a theme or just stuff I like.

First pick shows that my jukebox either plays 78's as well as 45's, or there was a later repressing onto the "new" format: 

Pick 1.15:  Sing Sing Sing (With a Swing) - Benny Goodman, 1937

One of the best songs of the swing era, I wanted to take this for my Desert Island, but couldn't find an album version that wouldn't involve baggage I didn't want to take.  This is an A and a B side at 8 minutes 38 seconds, highly unusual for the time.  Apparently at a recording session, Gene Krupa wouldn't stop drumming after the 3rd chorus, where the tune was supposed to end, so Benny Goodman picked up the clarinet and noodled along with him.  Other musicians kept joining in, Krupa kept going, and one of my favorites was born.
Nice! That’s a fave of mine as well... 

Users who are viewing this thread