What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (2 Viewers)

2.23 The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel (1970)

A top 5 song for me and it fits my theme perfectly. 

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job
But I get no offers
Just a come-on from the whores
On Seventh Avenue
I do declare
There were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there
very nice! reading this Rock book right now and the author discusses S&G extensively, didn't realize Simon went to Queens College, my daughter is enrolled for Speech Path for Grad School in the fall..

Fire and Rain: The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSNY, and the Lost Story of 1970

Last edited by a moderator:
2.23 The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel (1970)

A top 5 song for me and it fits my theme perfectly. 

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job
But I get no offers
Just a come-on from the whores
On Seventh Avenue
I do declare
There were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there
I don’t remember if you announced your theme?

@Eephus, is it possible to track the themes, either in the first post or on the spreadsheet?

After thinking about it, my original idea was going to churn out a pretty bad jukebox.  Sure, I would have been entertained, but I don't think many others would if this was in a bar setting.  SO - my new bar will have gin, but this is going to be a fictional bar will be next to a kick ### movie theater and will feature cocktails that are prominent in movies (I am sure White Russians will be popular), and the jukebox will be filled with a collection of movie soundtracks.  I might throw a couple songs from scores in the draft, but the plan is to have songs so people can sing along, talk about movies, and have try to escape the world around us for a few hours.  I don't think b-sides are really going to come into play now though. 

So let's reboot my draft with some mandatory 80s cheese:

1.11:  HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS - THE POWER OF LOVE (1985)

2.xx:  KENNY LOGGINS - DANGER ZONE (1986)

After thinking about it, my original idea was going to churn out a pretty bad jukebox.  Sure, I would have been entertained, but I don't think many others would if this was in a bar setting.  SO - my new bar will have gin, but this is going to be a fictional bar will be next to a kick ### movie theater and will feature cocktails that are prominent in movies (I am sure White Russians will be popular), and the jukebox will be filled with a collection of movie soundtracks.  I might throw a couple songs from scores in the draft, but the plan is to have songs so people can sing along, talk about movies, and have try to escape the world around us for a few hours.  I don't think b-sides are really going to come into play now though. 

So let's reboot my draft with some mandatory 80s cheese:

1.11:  HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS - THE POWER OF LOVE (1985)

2.xx:  KENNY LOGGINS - DANGER ZONE (1986)
Love the idea, it’s one I considered so I’ll be excited to see how it would play out. 

I was going to do a historical tour through sampling, but scrapped that when I saw some of the songs going. But in keeping with the sampling theme, I'll first pick the sampled and then the sampler.

First, a song from 1981 with a haunting chugga chugga guitar riff and desperate lyrics. 

Round 2.xx - Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen (1981)

For the song that sampled it, a little twist on the earnestness of the riff and the lyrics for pure disco lasciviousness, two headlining females plus one regardless. 

Chugga Chugga.

Round 3.01 - Destiny's Child - Bootylicious (2001)

I don’t remember if you announced your theme?

@Eephus, is it possible to track the themes, either in the first post or on the spreadsheet?
I think this is acceptable from what I've gleaned from others posts, but I don't plan to post my theme for a few rounds. I don't want to unintentionally encourage sniper attacks by showing my hand too early. I've already prioritized one because of someone else's theme. A sleuth will be able to figure mine out, but I'm banking on most not doing that.

I was going to do a historical tour through sampling, but scrapped that when I saw some of the songs going. But in keeping with the sampling theme, I'll first pick the sampled and then the sampler.

First, a song from 1981 with a haunting chugga chugga guitar riff and desperate lyrics. 

Round 2.xx - Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen (1981)

For the song that sampled it, a little twist on the earnestness of the riff and the lyrics for pure disco lasciviousness, two headlining females plus one regardless. 

Chugga Chugga.

Round 3.01 - Destiny's Child - Bootylicious (2001)
Want to hit like because of the former - can't because of the latter.

Incredible B side, nice move
Thanks!  I considered making the B-side my "official" pick because I love that one, too.

I think this is acceptable from what I've gleaned from others posts, but I don't plan to post my theme for a few rounds. I don't want to unintentionally encourage sniper attacks by showing my hand too early. I've already prioritized one because of someone else's theme. A sleuth will be able to figure mine out, but I'm banking on most not doing that.
I haven't posted mine yet, either.

I changed theme/location list from draft order to alphabetical.  Hopefully I didn't accidentally reassign any :bag:

3. “Gravity” Sara Bareilles (2007) 

https://youtu.be/rEXhAMtbaec

Sara first wrote and performed this song when she was an unknown undergraduate student at UCLA. (humorous aside- when I attended a campus tour with my daughter and about 25 other high school seniors a few years ago, the tour guide mentioned various famous people who were UCLA alumni. Kareem Abdul Jabbar- no reaction. Jackie Robinson- no reaction. Sara Bareilles- REALLY?? That is SO COOL!) 

3.04: Rhythm Of The Falling Rain - The Cascades - 1962

One hit wonder theme - will also be going sequentially year-by-year (NO SKIPPING AROUND!!)

Beautiful song.  Still relaxes me.  

No Beatles yet, so this is where we were - I was 4.  

ETA:  I wish I had a story that goes along with this song, but I was 4.  I only remember the uncomfortable jute area "rug" my mom had put in my bedroom over the linoleum floor and the pain and marks it would leave on my knees when playing with my matchbox cars.  It also made it impossible to roll your cars ...gawd, I hated that ####ty excuse for a rug.  

One hit wonder theme - will also be going sequentially year-by-year (NO SKIPPING AROUND!!)

ETA:  I wish I had a story that goes along with this song, but I was 4.  I only remember the uncomfortable jute area "rug" my mom had put in my bedroom over the linoleum floor and the pain and marks it would leave on my knees when playing with my matchbox cars.  It also made it impossible to roll your cars ...gawd, I hated that ####ty excuse for a rug.  
Both those were on my list :sadbanana:

My mom bought me an album when I was 9 called At the Hop.  It came with three albums that had songs from the 50s and 60s from various artists, and this song was probably my favorite from the albums.

3.08  10th Avenue Freeze Out b/w She's the One - Bruce Springsteen  (1975)

You can't have a Springsteen-themed jukebox without the man himself.  His earliest recordings date back to 1972 so I could theoretically have 49 out of 50 songs from Springsteen but where would the fun be in that?  Instead I'm going to choose songs from his influences and influencees with some songs from the Boss sprinkled in for flavor.  Hopefully, it'll all fit together at the end.

1975 was the year he broke out with Born to Run.  I'm going with the second single off the album because (a) Born to Run is kind of overplayed (b) 10th Ave Freeze Out has a cool shuffling beat and it tells the origin story of the E Street Band and (c) She's the One is a better B-side than Meeting Across the River (which never sounds right unless it leads into Jungleland).

@PIK95

Users who are viewing this thread