What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (3 Viewers)

Jazz, Blues, Gospel Roots

Rd 4 Cat Squirrel by Doctor Ross (1954)
I wanted to tell you how much I'm loving your draft and your write-ups.  Learning all this Detroit history is fabulous.  My BFF is from Detroit, and I'm going to share it all with her.

Also, as to this particular pick (which I'd never heard until now), I wanted to say that I have a cat named The Squirrel (also sometimes known as "Mr. E. Squirrel, the Mystery Squirrel"), and he has now adopted this as his theme song.

Last edited by a moderator:
4.12 Sly and the Family Stone - If You Want Me to Stay 

This is my fav Sly cut and it's too funky to leave off the jukebox. No idea if it is on anyone's radar but  it has been sampled and covered so I don't want to take the chance. I will take the b side here too Thankful N Thoughtful

@Pitchfork
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  I was certain I could wait on this.

(Great pick.)

ETA:  I even had this bolded as a must have.

Found it!  707 on xfinity.

ETA:  Appears to be all music and...wrestling.

This reminds me, I need to go through their schedule for the week to see if there's anything I want to record (aside from Live from Daryl's House, which is on auto-record). 

Oooh, Steve Winwood at noon ET on Thursday. Todd Rundgren's Utopia is in the same slot on Wednesday, but I've already seen that one. 

pip has been around forever.  mostly posts in the Eagles threads, AFAIK.

The Philadelphia Eagles, Eephus.  frankie says relax. 
Yes, I have had an account since 1999 or so and have mostly posted in the SP, most frequently in the Eagles thread. 

I would come to the FFA in the early years but stopped when it got all political. I started popping back in here occasionally after the PSF was created to separate the political stuff, but didn't start contributing to the music threads regularly until quarantine happened and I had more time on my hands. 

ETA: My profile tells me I had my first "won the day" on Saturday. I had no idea that was a thing. 

pip has been around forever.  mostly posts in the Eagles threads, AFAIK.

The Philadelphia Eagles, Eephus.  frankie says relax. 
Oh cool. I hadn't recognized him and assumed it was an alias for a recently banned account. If there's no avatar, I usually can't keep the posters straight. 

I wanted to tell you how much I'm loving your draft and your write-ups.  Learning all this Detroit history is fabulous.  My BFF is from Detroit, and I'm going to share it all with her.

Also, as to this particular pick (which I'd never heard until now), I wanted to say that I have a cat named The Squirrel (also sometimes known as "Mr. E. Squirrel, the Mystery Squirrel"), and he has now adopted this as his theme song.
Thanks- glad I could provide a theme song for your very cute cat. 

Cool song.  Can't tell if it's one guitar or two making all that racket.
I can't help you there. There is very little info on the song on the internet. About all I know of the song itself is that Cream and Jethro Tull covered it. Like Hooker, Doctor Ross was far more popular in Europe than he was in the States. 

REBOOT/MULLIGAN FINE LINE BUT NOT REALLY:

A reboot is in the works. Instead of simply having songs that use a sample in the first and last songs of the draft making a large diptych, I'm picking the two most influential samples in hip hop and electronic music history.

Therefore, the first pick in my draft is going to be the song:

Apache - Incredible Bongo Band (1973)

This has been the most sampled record in early hip hop history garnering credits and song titles all unto themselves, and also is one of the first instances of using sampling in modern history, sampling a surf rock instrumental song by the [redacted] from 1960. So, there you go. First reboot. If this is okay, somebody please replace the Jefferson Airplane song currently clogging the sheet. 

The last two songs remain the same. 

REBOOT/MULLIGAN FINE LINE BUT NOT REALLY:

A reboot is in the works. Instead of simply having songs that use a sample in the first and last songs of the draft making a large diptych, I'm picking the two most influential samples in hip hop and electronic music history.

Therefore, the first pick in my draft is going to be the song:

Apache - Incredible Bongo Band (1973)

This has been the most sampled record in early hip hop history garnering credits and song titles all unto themselves, and also is one of the first instances of using sampling in modern history, sampling a surf rock instrumental song by the [redacted] from 1960. So, there you go. First reboot. If this is okay, somebody please replace the Jefferson Airplane song currently clogging the sheet. 

The last two songs remain the same. 
so i assume that your next 46 picks will all be based on this song.

There is an entire 90 minute documentary on this song alone, I believe.

so i assume that your next 46 picks will all be based on this song.

There is an entire 90 minute documentary on this song alone, I believe.
No, it's just the sampling theme. No way am I going to be able to get 46 songs from each year that sample Apache. I just thought it had to kick off the theme, as all the songs are going to be samples or use samples, and in most cases, will feature both a song and the full length of its sample. 

The bolded is awesome. 

No, it's just the sampling theme. No way am I going to be able to get 46 songs from each year that sample Apache. I just thought it had to kick off the theme, as all the songs are going to be samples or use samples, and in most cases, will feature both a song and the full length of its sample. 
i don't know about that.

Long Ball Larry said:
I think that I can go again.  If I'm wrong, let me know.

My Favorite Things

John Coltrane

(1961)

Can never go wrong with Coltrane.

Trouble Man

Juggaknots

(1996)

Juggaknots were a favorite of mine back in my teens.  an NYC-based group that had an association with Company Flow, I used to play their discs all the time.  Forgot about them for a long time because they weren't really streaming (which is why this track shows up as 2018 on Spotify), but really glad that finally got worked out and this is a track that I love.  I never knew that this loop was the intro to the Coltrane track until recently.

Yo Mama said:
So this is one of those must haves for my theme, and since it’s filled with sampling and from New York, I guess it’s possible it could be on someone else’s list. Yo Mama selects:

4.03 - Public Enemy - Fight the Power - 1989

Going with the original release date as part of the Do the Right Thing soundtrack, but may swap it to 1990 when Fear of a Black Planet was released if something else in 1989 catches my eye. 

I now have four songs from four different decades, and considering my theme is songs about protest and unrest, surprisingly none are from the 60s or 70s. I’m probably relying on vbd and the fact those decades are so stacked to pass on some of the all-timers for now. 

@mphtrilogy
Of course you would, 'cuz you need to find ways to snipe me even in this draft.  ;)

Long Ball Larry said:
I think that I can go again.  If I'm wrong, let me know.

My Favorite Things

John Coltrane

(1961)

Can never go wrong with Coltrane.

Trouble Man

Juggaknots

(1996)

Juggaknots were a favorite of mine back in my teens.  an NYC-based group that had an association with Company Flow, I used to play their discs all the time.  Forgot about them for a long time because they weren't really streaming (which is why this track shows up as 2018 on Spotify), but really glad that finally got worked out and this is a track that I love.  I never knew that this loop was the intro to the Coltrane track until recently.
well #### ...Larry was right

:lmao:   wtf are you doin' @Long Ball Larry? Post of the draft so far.

no, you can't make your 4th rd pick,

- you aren't at the turn

- and there are five people and 10 picks before it's your turn again

- and if you thought you could go ahead ...why would your pick be the 20th in the rd?

Pretty sure your pick is safe, but best keep those juggaknots in your shorts for a while longer GB  :hifive:
Whatever are you talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread