What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (5 Viewers)

4.18 - (Antichrist Television Blues) - Arcade Fire  (2007)

My draft gimmick requires occasional leaps of faith that a modern song sounds similar to The Boss.  (Antichrist Television Blues) is one of those numbers.  So work with me here:

• Win Butler's vocals have sort of a Springsteenesque quality to them
  • The drum beat, strummed guitars and droning background sounds could come from a late-period Springsteen record
  • The lyrics mention cars and work
  • Both bands have too many people on stage during their live shows.
Dear God, I'm a good Christian man
In your glory, I know you understand
That you gotta work hard and you gotta get paid
My girl's thirteen, but she don't act her age
She can sing like a bird in a cage
Oh Lord, if you could see her when she's up on that stage

Last edited by a moderator:

My draft gimmick requires occasional leaps of faith that a modern song sounds similar to The Boss.  (Antichrist Television Blues) is one of those numbers.  So work with me here:

• The drum beat, strummed guitars and droning background sounds could come from a late-period Springsteen record
You hit this outta the park actually.  Edwin sings it Boss style too. Neon Bible is definitely their Springsteenish record.  The song Half Light II from the Suburbs that I picked in last draft would have been a decent one also.  

Edited to add:  That song is about Jessica Simpsons dad.  For real.

That's a really good call on the Springsteen. I don't know how you can unhear the influence once it's pointed out. 

Ok. You can skip me and I’ll pick in a few. @krista4
Cool. Just saw the sheet and saw you'd commented on a post of mine and synchronicity happened.

Hey, are we just editing the sheet? That's going to get awfully fouled up. I predict it, folks...I'm keeping the picks in my own Excel file for posterity.

i thought that i was fairly clear about my appropriation of this shtick.

i doubt that we will have that much overlap though, based on my initial list of stuff.
I now vaguely remember that. I think I thought you were kidding. You have been known to be droll (at least known to me). I don't mind at all. More the merrier!

4.24 Sly and the Family Stone - In Time (1973)

(not a single so no B-side)

If I want a Sly and the Family Stone song, and who doesn't, my only option for my theme is to take one from the album Fresh.  Since that rascal Buffaloes sniped my pick, I'm going instead with my second favorite.  It's almost twice the length of If You Want Me To Stay, so take that, @Buffaloes!

4.24 Sly and the Family Stone - In Time (1973)

(not a single so no B-side)

If I want a Sly and the Family Stone song, and who doesn't, my only option for my theme is to take one from the album Fresh.  Since that rascal Buffaloes sniped my pick, I'm going instead with my second favorite.  It's almost twice the length of If You Want Me To Stay, so take that, @Buffaloes!
I don't even know what your shtick is, but it's pretty much a given that you can't have enough Sly.

I have no idea what you're doing now but Don't Sweat the Technique is the jam
Thanks. Pretty much the same diptych sampling idea only the overarching structure is no longer that of a pure diptych, but instead encompasses exceptions for the first and last record of the bunch. I think it was a work in progress that I was going to go with the song being sampled and the sampling song as those chosen at the turn, sampled on the evens, sampling on the odds.

Really, it's -- if it breaks right -- going to have the first two most influential records in hip hop sampling at the beginning and end of the draft.   

wow ...ok, this may require some discussion - I can shift to the "A" Side if need be.  

5.04: Gloria - Them - 1964 (A Side: Baby Please Don't Go)

This is commonly voted as a top 100 single of all time and has been covered/played by many, many groups.  It has been a garage rock standard as it's so easy to play and sing.

The song became a garage rock staple and a part of many rock bands' repertoires. It is particularly memorable for its "Gloria!" chorus. It is easy to play, as a simple three-chord song, and thus is popular with those learning to play guitar.  Humourist Dave Barry joked that "You can throw a guitar off a cliff, and as it bounces off rocks on the way down, it will, all by itself, play Gloria."[22]  :lmao:

a)  one of many covers of this song was taken earlier in the draft by @MAC_32 with Patti Smith.

This is the original and the Patti Smith version contains none of the lyrics of the original ...just the refrain.  

b)  do these guys qualify as one-hit wonders (see initial definition - it's long and doesn't need to be repasted)

These guys were relatively short-lived and only charted 3 songs including this one (none very high - 24 and 33) - this only got as high as 71 a couple of years later.  And that's it.  Of course, Van Morrison went on to become a legend, but that doesn't count within the standard Wiki definition of one-hit wonders.  

These guys were relatively short-lived and only charted 3 songs including this one (none very high - 24 and 33) - this only got as high as 71 a couple of years later.  And that's it.  Of course, Van Morrison went on to become a legend, but that doesn't count within the standard Wiki definition of one-hit wonders.  
They had a #2 and #10 hit in the UK.  Two top 40 in the US. That doesn't seem like a one hit wonder, but it doesn't matter to me.

Probably not since they had 3 chart hits (and Gloria wasn't even one of them).
It's all a bit cloudy, I thought they may fall under one of the provisions with only breaking the Top 100 two other times - and never top 20.  

In The Billboard Book of One-Hit Wonders, music journalist Wayne Jancik defines a one-hit wonder as "an act that has won a position on [the] national, pop, Top 20 record chart just once."

This formal definition can[when?] include acts with greater success outside their lone pop hit and who are not typically considered one-hit wonders,[1] while at the same time excluding acts who have multiple hits which have been overshadowed by one signature song,[2] or those performers who never hit the top 40, but had exactly one song achieve mainstream popularity in some other fashion (that is, a "turntable hit" or a song that was ineligible for the top-40 charts).[3]

They had a #2 and #10 hit in the UK.  Two top 40s in the US. That doesn't seem like a one hit wonder, but it doesn't matter to me.
I was going with US hits - and the Wiki does clarify that groups that have hits in other countries but only limited success elsewhere may qualify.  

Not married to it - anyone else weigh in??

ETA:  thanks @simey

I really would feel more comfortable getting some more input on this if you guys would - I'm going to hold off for now.  

My own personal definition of one-hit wonder is "artist who only had one song that anyone outside that artist's hardcore fanbase would have heard of."

By the "only one top 40 hit" definition, Jimi Hendrix is a one-hit wonder, because he wasn't promoted as a singles artist and only had one song climb the charts. Seems weird to me. 

wow ...ok, this may require some discussion - I can shift to the "A" Side if need be.  

This is commonly voted as a top 100 single of all time and has been covered/played by many, many groups.  It has been a garage rock standard as it's so easy to play and sing.

The song became a garage rock staple and a part of many rock bands' repertoires. It is particularly memorable for its "Gloria!" chorus. It is easy to play, as a simple three-chord song, and thus is popular with those learning to play guitar.  Humourist Dave Barry joked that "You can throw a guitar off a cliff, and as it bounces off rocks on the way down, it will, all by itself, play Gloria."[22]  :lmao:

a)  one of many covers of this song was taken earlier in the draft by @MAC_32 with Patti Smith.

This is the original and the Patti Smith version contains none of the lyrics of the original ...just the refrain.  

b)  do these guys qualify as one-hit wonders (see initial definition - it's long and doesn't need to be repasted)

Definitely think you're OK on (a).  On (b), I think you should define one-hit wonder however you wish to (within reason).

I love Them and had a double disc set of all their songs once, but I think you're fine, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread