What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (7 Viewers)

Pip Berbick

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

ETA:  jk Pip ...you're bringing the goods here and your other thread  :hifive:  ...the whole lack of a plan thing just made me think of this ...
Then again, Larry Merchant pinning boxing's hopes to Tyson is like pinning an anchor to an anvil. Don't float. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Binky The Doormat said:
The more I look into it - there are a number of bands that are on a fairly wide number of industry one-hit wonder lists that have another charted song or two.  Mostly of them don't break the top 20 with their other couple of songs that look to have mostly ridden on the coattails of their much more known hit. 

Perfect example - Of the two songs I have narrowed down to my next pick, one is from the typical generic white guy crooner from the early-mid 60s.  No way did I know he had much of anything else ...and he is almost universally listed on one-hit wonder lists.  Well, he had one song chart at 26 the next year that sounds an awful lot like the big hit ...the other one charted at 27 and is a cover from "West Side Story."  

Extra points if you know who I'm talking about.  
This is the guy I'm talking about:  Len Barry

1-2-3 was big on the top 40 back in the day.  It brings back memories of my Sears red transistor radio, the skating rink and the snowball skates (where you lined up and the girls skate by to pick you), and summer at dollar days at the miniature golf course.  

I'm stuck between this and a decidedly cooler tune - Dirty Water - The Standells - 1964

Can I get a weigh-in from the crowd here which I should pick?  

1-2-3 was big on the top 40 back in the day.  It brings back memories of my Sears red transistor radio, the skating rink and the snowball skates (where you lined up and the girls skate by to pick you), and summer at dollar days at the miniature golf course.  

I'm stuck between this and a decidedly cooler tune - Dirty Water - The Standells - 1964

:skates-by: DIRTY WATER YA DIRTY *******! :skakes-away:

1-2-3 is a cool little song.  It's a Caucasian ripoff of the Motown sound.  The rhythm section in particular is pure Hitsville.

I'd take 1-2-3 just because of the ####ty lip syncing in the Dirty Water vid.

6.23 New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down - LCD Soundsystem (2007)

I like wouldn't have given this band much of a chance if it wasn't for these drafts - I'm not a big electronic music guy. I still wouldn't call myself a huge fan but I enjoy them, particularly I think they make for good running music.

This song doesn't necessarily represent their sound, but for me it's more in my wheelhouse anyway and of course it fits my NYC-centric theme.

Ah, didn’t know you were here.  You can go if you want, and then I’ll pick two.  I think the chances you’ll snipe me are low.  My next pick is from Sam Cooke; just don’t take him.
:kicksrock: No Sam?

Thanks for the offer. I'm still deciding among six-ten pairs of songs. I'll post when I figure it out, which may be sooner rather than later.

7.03 M79 - Vampire Weekend (2008)

Another band I discovered in these music drafts and they have become on of my most listened to "new" bands. I tell people that they sound like a weirder version of Paul Simon when trying to introduce them to friends. Like Simon they are also New Yorkers and the M79 is a cross-city bus-line in NYC - this is a very fun song.

Oh no!  I actually had another song lined up that I was going to dedicate to you because you'd mentioned it in another thread, but then I made a last-second switch.
hmmm. now i'll probably snipe it. my first reaction to the top of my rd 8 list (i'm taking newer on the the way out, older on the way back) was "krista's not gonna like this"

this jukebox is going to be super ####### weird

Flute Thing

The Blues Project

(1966)

#### Tull and the rest, this seems to me to be the earliest (perhaps there were others) incorporation of flute into more mainstream bands.  There was a pretty good flute player in my high school and my band jammed with him a couple of times, but i never really knew how to get with it.  should have listened to more stuff like this.

7. Eliza Gilkyson “Emerald Street” 2008 

https://youtu.be/M0pTRTn5gUM

Folky Eliza was born in Hollywood. She’s been performing my kind of music for years with John Gorka, Lucy Kaplansky, Nancy Griffith. Her dad wrote “Bare Necessities” for The Jungle Book” and her brother played guitar for Lone Justice and X. That’s family royalty in my book. 

this jukebox is going to be super ####### weird

Flute Thing

The Blues Project

(1966)

#### Tull and the rest, this seems to me to be the earliest (perhaps there were others) incorporation of flute into more mainstream bands.  There was a pretty good flute player in my high school and my band jammed with him a couple of times, but i never really knew how to get with it.  should have listened to more stuff like this.
The Monterrey Pop version is great too - largest mellow in history to that time. I talked with Al Kooper about it years later - not only had he just left Blues Project for Blood, Sweat & Tears, but he'd taken the job of stage manager for the festival (turning down an invite from Hendrix to join the Experience for the gig because of it), so he had a better-than-front-row seat for their triumph

I know I am up soon, but I don't know where we are at with skips around me. I am here today, so I can probably pick live if it gets to me soon.  

7.08 - Down By the Water - The Decemberists  (2011)

Another modernish song with touches of the Boss.  The harmonica in the intro is reminiscent of "The Promised Land" and the lyrics harken back to "The River"
:thumbup:

Not of huge fan of the band (his voice can be grating).  But this is one song I like and have had on a playlists.  Reminds me of an REM song.

timschochet said:
6. Cher “Half Breed” 1973

https://youtu.be/zt9XDdzzp2k

Cher is from El Centro in the Imperial Valley. Both sides were against her since the day she was born. 

ETA- not my favorite Cher song but I feel a connection to it as I met the writer at a wedding several years ago. 
My sister and I used to sing this song back in the 70s. My mom's great grandmother on her dad's side was half Cherokee. Her name was Roxanna, and she went by Roxy.

7. Eliza Gilkyson “Emerald Street” 2008 

https://youtu.be/M0pTRTn5gUM

Folky Eliza was born in Hollywood. She’s been performing my kind of music for years with John Gorka, Lucy Kaplansky, Nancy Griffith. Her dad wrote “Bare Necessities” for The Jungle Book” and her brother played guitar for Lone Justice and X. That’s family royalty in my book. 
watched this on my phone without my glasses on and thought it was Jane Lynch and Mark Ruffalo

I'm stuck between this and a decidedly cooler tune - Dirty Water - The Standells - 19645

Gonna go with the peppier number ...

6.22:  Dirty Water - The Standells - 1965 (the correct year)

7.04: Lies - The Knickerbockers - 1966

well, since this is one-hit wonders ...and I can't have any Beatles ...I'll take a fun rip-off them.  The story is that John Lennon said, "What is that?  I don't remember recording that." (wouldn't vouch for this really happening)

Had no idea Leon Russell was involved.  

"We desperately tried to write something that sounded like the British Invasion'. We wrote 'Lies' in less than one half hour. We demo-ed it in New York." After a Jerry Fuller inspired re-arrangement, the track was recorded at Sunset Sound in West Hollywood with Bruce Botnick as the Engineer. Things were not quite right, so the multi-track master was taken to Leon Russell's house in Hollywood Hills. Jerry Fuller knew Leon and "Leon had this great little studio - just a four track". The band recorded the vocals there and overdubbed a new guitar part that was recorded from a beat up old Fender guitar amp that gave the guitar sound a meaty, edgy feel".[4]

Users who are viewing this thread