Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Eephus said:

This one is on Spotify.  It's got a cool "Stranded in the Jungle" beat.

That's the one I'm thinking of. I owned that compilation and dug that song. This was back when I smoked a ton of weed and listened to a ton of sounds like that, especially those that bordered on frat rock.  

eta* Still love it. That was a good listen. Thanks for the link. The farfisa/organ bounding around a bit puts it square in frat rock territory. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All these Stevie picks make me nervous that I'd better take this right now. 11.02  Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke (1977) I'm taking this on the single, not the album, release date.  And some versi

Time for another all-timer for my theme. This is another absolutely stacked year for me, but I’d be bummed big time if I couldn’t get this on my jukebox playlist. Yo Mama selects:   9.23 - M

33.xx I Wanna Hold Your Hand (US B-side - I Saw Her Standing There), Beatles (1963)

8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

That's the one I'm thinking of. I owned that compilation and dug that song. This was back when I smoked a ton of weed and listened to a ton of sounds like that, especially those that bordered on frat rock.  

I haven't searched for "Frat Rock" yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I haven't searched for "Frat Rock" yet. 

I'll make it a little easier for you there, Eephus. Voila! Gary U.S. Bonds!  

That's funny. Here's the link.  

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/46IoG0SvqsLntjZHhQfiu5

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raging weasel said:
3 hours ago, krista4 said:

I owe everyone a huge apology, as when I wrote about the collaborations I neglected to mention this multiple Oscar-winning film (did not confirm this but am assuming) starring Ringo and Nilsson.

Never even heard of this before. Would watch but doesn't sound possible.

I was expecting the Ringo caveman movie.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

I'll make it a little easier for you there, Eephus. Voila! Gary U.S. Bonds!  

That's funny. Here's the link.  

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/46IoG0SvqsLntjZHhQfiu5

I'm pretty solid on the old and new years but have some gaps to fill in the 90s.  It's weird how Springsteen's influence on the music scene diminished almost entirely while he and Patti were off raising babies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for another all-timer for my theme. This is another absolutely stacked year for me, but I’d be bummed big time if I couldn’t get this on my jukebox playlist. Yo Mama selects:

 

9.23 - Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On (1971)

The b-side is the beautiful God is Love, and I’ll take the single version. (I see it in a lot of places combined with [redacted] as a medley)

 

Man, I need to listen to Marvin a lot more than I have been. 

  • Like 11
  • Love 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Time for another all-timer for my theme. This is another absolutely stacked year for me, but I’d be bummed big time if I couldn’t get this on my jukebox playlist. Yo Mama selects:

 

9.23 - Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On (1971)

The b-side is the beautiful God is Love, and I’ll take the single version. (I see it in a lot of places combined with [redacted] as a medley)

 

Man, I need to listen to Marvin a lot more than I have been. 

wish i could like this more than once. excellent b side

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9.04: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly (1968) RADIO VERSION

This is a damn jukebox ...where makin' money here!!! 

Besides, no one really wants the 10 minute drum solo ...nobody ever wants the drum solo but the drummer and his girlfriend.  

This is one of several songs that made me yearn for the day when I could take mushrooms.  

 

 

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

i didn't know this was a cover. regards to whoever wrote it, but this is a Black Crowes song in my head. another great pick

Otis Redding

It isn't bad, but...if you try to listen to it after The Black Crowes version it kinda is. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

9.12 Man of Constant Sorrow, Soggy Bottom Boys (2000)

The best singing ever to emanate from a Vermonter's mouth. I like bluegrass better than country, but never thought this number was any more than nice til i heard Rutland's own Dan Tyminski take it on. Perhaps its that the syncopation evokes Irish pub singing, which is my wheelhouse. I can't say this about more than a handful of songs, but i never listen to this'n just once, so i dang well better have it in my juke.

I approve this message. 👍

 

 

 

🐿️

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I'm pretty solid on the old and new years but have some gaps to fill in the 90s.  It's weird how Springsteen's influence on the music scene diminished almost entirely while he and Patti were off raising babies.

I think his influence also coincided with a reevaluation of his lyrics where the assessment (in many people's minds because of the popularity of Born In The U.S.A.) went from American jingoism to blue collar everyman. I'm sure those in the know knew, but there is a whole generation of Top Gun loving patriots that see Dancing In The Dark and American flags and connect the whole vibe.

I've never been a huge Springsteen fan regardless of aforementioned assessment. Just not my thing. But there is definitely a Springsteen-esque vibe to songwriting, and you seem to have down what makes a Boss record boss, so...there's that.  

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

9.14 Gap Band - Outstanding and I'm taking the funky B Side Talkin' Back

1982

Outstanding was basically made for cookouts. Wouldn't be surprised if Charlie Wilson had a spatula in his hand in the back yard when he laid the vocals down for this one. shout out to anyone whose got someone who fits the lyrics too. Outstanding tune, positive vibes, and incredible voice. Getting a funky number (that references Reaganomics in a David Byrne cadence) for a b side that would fit well at a summertime backyard boogie  is bonus.

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

9.14 Gap Band - Outstanding and I'm taking the funky B Side Talkin' Back

1982

Outstanding was basically made for cookouts. Wouldn't be surprised if Charlie Wilson had a spatula in his hand in the back yard when he laid the vocals down for this one. shout out to anyone whose got someone who fits the lyrics too. Outstanding tune, positive vibes, and incredible voice. Getting a funky number (that references Reaganomics in a David Byrne cadence) for a b side that would fit well at a summertime backyard boogie  is bonus.

The Gap Band IV is a great party album and the Members Only jackets are peak 80s nattiness

  • Like 4
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I think his influence also coincided with a reevaluation of his lyrics where the assessment (in many people's minds because of the popularity of Born In The U.S.A.) went from American jingoism to blue collar everyman. I'm sure those in the know knew, but there is a whole generation of Top Gun loving patriots that see Dancing In The Dark and American flags and connect the whole vibe.

I've never been a huge Springsteen fan regardless of aforementioned assessment. Just not my thing. But there is definitely a Springsteen-esque vibe to songwriting, and you seem to have down what makes a Boss record boss, so...there's that.  

Springsteen backed away from his Born in the USA image pretty quickly.  Once he achieved mass commercial success, his music turned more personal.  He could still take the E Street Band on the road and get a stadium rocking but his albums were more introspective and less commercially successful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

plus the watch on the guy on stage left's wrist and the meticulously-manicured mustaches. that album cover is basically a time capsule in and of itself

 

That was around the time I started dating the future Mrs. Eephus and spending holidays with Black folks.  I was given some very stylish Xmas presents that I just couldn't pull off wearing outside the house.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

9.04: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly (1968) RADIO VERSION

This is a damn jukebox ...where makin' money here!!! 

Besides, no one really wants the 10 minute drum solo ...nobody ever wants the drum solo but the drummer and his girlfriend.  

This is one of several songs that made me yearn for the day when I could take mushrooms.  

 

 

Another snipe. Was going with this or the song I'm about to draft with this pick since it looks like you are drafting in chronological order.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we are covering 50 years, so I gotta decide on some new stuff, and that it actually giving me some troubles.  I wrote 3 down right away.  Absolutely love the opening credits and chase scene at the start of this movie.  I will admit to blasting this song while driving more than a few times.  

9.11:  KAVINSKY - NIGHTCALL (2011)

Link

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

Another snipe. Was going with this or the song I'm about to draft with this pick since it looks like you are drafting in chronological order.

 

11 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

Round 9

Venus- Shocking Blue(1969)

Covered many times but this is the original .

oh I see how this is going to go now ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Need to get to the 70s sometime:

8.xx:  CURTIS MAYFIELD - PUSHERMAN (1972)

Link

 

Plus if memory serves me right this was in Cable Guy too, so 2x bonus! 

 

12 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Well, we are covering 50 years, so I gotta decide on some new stuff, and that it actually giving me some troubles.  I wrote 3 down right away.  Absolutely love the opening credits and chase scene at the start of this movie.  I will admit to blasting this song while driving more than a few times.  

9.11:  KAVINSKY - NIGHTCALL (2011)

Link

 

 

Love those 2 picks! I am enjoying the movie jukebox

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rockaction said:

I'm thinking one-a-day brings us through August with the picks when we might need to be doing other drafts (hints and wondering goes out to Northern Voice as to its viability and constraints). That and it suits my draft (AND I AM THE AMBASSADOR OF SUNSHINE AND MAGICAL LIGHT HERE) a little better.  

NV will do the football/music draft if there's a decent chance of an NFL season, though depending on which of our more recent draft friends join in, it could be down to an 8 or 10 team league I fear.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've decided which song, but there are two versions from two different years. Gotta pick between them -- not only which version I prefer but which year I can afford to burn. It'll be up in a few minutes (I hope).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doo Wop

Rd 9: I Love You by The Volumes (1962)

B side: Dreams

A classic 1 Hit Wonder. The Volumes released this single on the small Detroit label Chex Records. It was such a local hit that little Chex Records became overwhelmed with the task of distributing it. Chex sold the rights to the band to the larger Jubilee Records who could get it national distribution. None of The Volumes subsequential Jubilee releases would come close to matching their initial success. The smooth sounds of Ed Union, Elijah Davis, Larry Wright, Joe Travillion, Ernest Newsom and Herb Hamlett were emblematic of the late 50's and early 60's Doo Wop sound that was so popular in the big cities of the industrialized North East. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Doo Wop

Rd 9: I Love You by The Volumes (1962)

B side: Dreams

A classic 1 Hit Wonder. The Volumes released this single on the small Detroit label Chex Records. It was such a local hit that little Chex Records became overwhelmed with the task of distributing it. Chex sold the rights to the band to the larger Jubilee Records who could get it national distribution. None of The Volumes subsequential Jubilee releases would come close to matching their initial success. The smooth sounds of Ed Union, Elijah Davis, Larry Wright, Joe Travillion, Ernest Newsom and Herb Hamlett were emblematic the late 50's and early 60's Doo Wop sound that was so popular in the big cities of the industrialized North East. 

I ❤️ this. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this is better than the Murmur version. Fits my theme better too 'cause it's much more frenetic. I have no idea WTF the lyrics are about and I like it that way. 

9.25 REM -- Radio Free Europe (original version)

Year: 1981

Album: non-album single

B-side: Sitting Still

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

:banned:

One connection that I didn't make there but maybe he should have: this is the garage music of it's time. The b-side especially is a bit sloppy (in a good way). The songs are smooth but he recordings are loud. And sparse and full of energy. When Detroit steps into rock music, it's going to do so with that sound in it's ears. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ilov80s said:

One connection that I didn't make there but maybe he should have: this is the garage music of it's time. The b-side especially is a bit sloppy (in a good way). The songs are smooth, but the recordings are loud but sparse and full of energy. When Detroit steps into rock music, it's going to do so with that sound in it's ears. 

Amen! 

And "garage" also perfectly describes my wish pick for ya that I mentioned above. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

80's, I haven't read the whole thread, but...am I correct that Detroit is your theme? 

 

If so... I know at least 1 ya gotta take! 

Here is my list so far and here is a Spotify Playlist

  1. Kick out the Jams by MC5
  2. I Found a New Baby by McKinney's Cotton Pickers
  3. Boogie Chillen by John Lee Hooker
  4. Cat Squirrel by Doctor Ross
  5. Wings of Faith by C.L . Franklin
  6. Angels Watching Over Me by The Detroiters
  7. And That Reminds Me by Della Reese
  8. Lovely Teardrops by Jackie Wilson
  9. I Love You by The Volumes
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...