What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (4 Viewers)

This one is on Spotify.  It's got a cool "Stranded in the Jungle" beat.
That's the one I'm thinking of. I owned that compilation and dug that song. This was back when I smoked a ton of weed and listened to a ton of sounds like that, especially those that bordered on frat rock.  

eta* Still love it. That was a good listen. Thanks for the link. The farfisa/organ bounding around a bit puts it square in frat rock territory. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the one I'm thinking of. I owned that compilation and dug that song. This was back when I smoked a ton of weed and listened to a ton of sounds like that, especially those that bordered on frat rock.  
I haven't searched for "Frat Rock" yet. 

Time for another all-timer for my theme. This is another absolutely stacked year for me, but I’d be bummed big time if I couldn’t get this on my jukebox playlist. Yo Mama selects:

9.23 - Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On (1971)

The b-side is the beautiful God is Love, and I’ll take the single version. (I see it in a lot of places combined with [redacted] as a medley)

Man, I need to listen to Marvin a lot more than I have been. 

Time for another all-timer for my theme. This is another absolutely stacked year for me, but I’d be bummed big time if I couldn’t get this on my jukebox playlist. Yo Mama selects:

9.23 - Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On (1971)

The b-side is the beautiful God is Love, and I’ll take the single version. (I see it in a lot of places combined with [redacted] as a medley)

Man, I need to listen to Marvin a lot more than I have been. 
wish i could like this more than once. excellent b side

9.04: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly (1968) RADIO VERSION

This is a damn jukebox ...where makin' money here!!! 

Besides, no one really wants the 10 minute drum solo ...nobody ever wants the drum solo but the drummer and his girlfriend.  

This is one of several songs that made me yearn for the day when I could take mushrooms.  

9.12 Man of Constant Sorrow, Soggy Bottom Boys (2000)

The best singing ever to emanate from a Vermonter's mouth. I like bluegrass better than country, but never thought this number was any more than nice til i heard Rutland's own Dan Tyminski take it on. Perhaps its that the syncopation evokes Irish pub singing, which is my wheelhouse. I can't say this about more than a handful of songs, but i never listen to this'n just once, so i dang well better have it in my juke.
I approve this message. 👍

🐿️

I'm pretty solid on the old and new years but have some gaps to fill in the 90s.  It's weird how Springsteen's influence on the music scene diminished almost entirely while he and Patti were off raising babies.
I think his influence also coincided with a reevaluation of his lyrics where the assessment (in many people's minds because of the popularity of Born In The U.S.A.) went from American jingoism to blue collar everyman. I'm sure those in the know knew, but there is a whole generation of Top Gun loving patriots that see Dancing In The Dark and American flags and connect the whole vibe.

I've never been a huge Springsteen fan regardless of aforementioned assessment. Just not my thing. But there is definitely a Springsteen-esque vibe to songwriting, and you seem to have down what makes a Boss record boss, so...there's that.  

9.14 Gap Band - Outstanding and I'm taking the funky B Side Talkin' Back

Outstanding was basically made for cookouts. Wouldn't be surprised if Charlie Wilson had a spatula in his hand in the back yard when he laid the vocals down for this one. shout out to anyone whose got someone who fits the lyrics too. Outstanding tune, positive vibes, and incredible voice. Getting a funky number (that references Reaganomics in a David Byrne cadence) for a b side that would fit well at a summertime backyard boogie  is bonus.

9.14 Gap Band - Outstanding and I'm taking the funky B Side Talkin' Back

Outstanding was basically made for cookouts. Wouldn't be surprised if Charlie Wilson had a spatula in his hand in the back yard when he laid the vocals down for this one. shout out to anyone whose got someone who fits the lyrics too. Outstanding tune, positive vibes, and incredible voice. Getting a funky number (that references Reaganomics in a David Byrne cadence) for a b side that would fit well at a summertime backyard boogie  is bonus.
The Gap Band IV is a great party album and the Members Only jackets are peak 80s nattiness

I think his influence also coincided with a reevaluation of his lyrics where the assessment (in many people's minds because of the popularity of Born In The U.S.A.) went from American jingoism to blue collar everyman. I'm sure those in the know knew, but there is a whole generation of Top Gun loving patriots that see Dancing In The Dark and American flags and connect the whole vibe.

I've never been a huge Springsteen fan regardless of aforementioned assessment. Just not my thing. But there is definitely a Springsteen-esque vibe to songwriting, and you seem to have down what makes a Boss record boss, so...there's that.  
Springsteen backed away from his Born in the USA image pretty quickly.  Once he achieved mass commercial success, his music turned more personal.  He could still take the E Street Band on the road and get a stadium rocking but his albums were more introspective and less commercially successful.

plus the watch on the guy on stage left's wrist and the meticulously-manicured mustaches. that album cover is basically a time capsule in and of itself
That was around the time I started dating the future Mrs. Eephus and spending holidays with Black folks.  I was given some very stylish Xmas presents that I just couldn't pull off wearing outside the house.

9.04: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly (1968) RADIO VERSION

This is a damn jukebox ...where makin' money here!!! 

Besides, no one really wants the 10 minute drum solo ...nobody ever wants the drum solo but the drummer and his girlfriend.  

This is one of several songs that made me yearn for the day when I could take mushrooms.  
Another snipe. Was going with this or the song I'm about to draft with this pick since it looks like you are drafting in chronological order.

Need to get to the 70s sometime:

8.xx:  CURTIS MAYFIELD - PUSHERMAN (1972)

Link

Plus if memory serves me right this was in Cable Guy too, so 2x bonus! 

Well, we are covering 50 years, so I gotta decide on some new stuff, and that it actually giving me some troubles.  I wrote 3 down right away.  Absolutely love the opening credits and chase scene at the start of this movie.  I will admit to blasting this song while driving more than a few times.  

9.11:  KAVINSKY - NIGHTCALL (2011)

Link
Love those 2 picks! I am enjoying the movie jukebox

I'm thinking one-a-day brings us through August with the picks when we might need to be doing other drafts (hints and wondering goes out to Northern Voice as to its viability and constraints). That and it suits my draft (AND I AM THE AMBASSADOR OF SUNSHINE AND MAGICAL LIGHT HERE) a little better.  
NV will do the football/music draft if there's a decent chance of an NFL season, though depending on which of our more recent draft friends join in, it could be down to an 8 or 10 team league I fear.

I've decided which song, but there are two versions from two different years. Gotta pick between them -- not only which version I prefer but which year I can afford to burn. It'll be up in a few minutes (I hope).

Doo ***

Rd 9: I Love You by The Volumes (1962)

B side: Dreams

A classic 1 Hit Wonder. The Volumes released this single on the small Detroit label Chex Records. It was such a local hit that little Chex Records became overwhelmed with the task of distributing it. Chex sold the rights to the band to the larger Jubilee Records who could get it national distribution. None of The Volumes subsequential Jubilee releases would come close to matching their initial success. The smooth sounds of Ed Union, Elijah Davis, Larry Wright, Joe Travillion, Ernest Newsom and Herb Hamlett were emblematic of the late 50's and early 60's Doo *** sound that was so popular in the big cities of the industrialized North East. 

Doo ***

Rd 9: I Love You by The Volumes (1962)

B side: Dreams

A classic 1 Hit Wonder. The Volumes released this single on the small Detroit label Chex Records. It was such a local hit that little Chex Records became overwhelmed with the task of distributing it. Chex sold the rights to the band to the larger Jubilee Records who could get it national distribution. None of The Volumes subsequential Jubilee releases would come close to matching their initial success. The smooth sounds of Ed Union, Elijah Davis, Larry Wright, Joe Travillion, Ernest Newsom and Herb Hamlett were emblematic the late 50's and early 60's Doo *** sound that was so popular in the big cities of the industrialized North East. 
I ❤️ this. 

One connection that I didn't make there but maybe he should have: this is the garage music of it's time. The b-side especially is a bit sloppy (in a good way). The songs are smooth but he recordings are loud. And sparse and full of energy. When Detroit steps into rock music, it's going to do so with that sound in it's ears. 

One connection that I didn't make there but maybe he should have: this is the garage music of it's time. The b-side especially is a bit sloppy (in a good way). The songs are smooth, but the recordings are loud but sparse and full of energy. When Detroit steps into rock music, it's going to do so with that sound in it's ears. 
Amen! 

And "garage" also perfectly describes my wish pick for ya that I mentioned above. 

80's, I haven't read the whole thread, but...am I correct that Detroit is your theme? 

If so... I know at least 1 ya gotta take! 
Here is my list so far and here is a Spotify Playlist

1. Kick out the Jams by MC5
  2. I Found a New Baby by McKinney's Cotton Pickers
  3. Boogie Chillen by John Lee Hooker
  4. Cat Squirrel by Doctor Ross
  5. Wings of Faith by C.L . Franklin
  6. Angels Watching Over Me by The Detroiters
  7. And That Reminds Me by Della Reese
  8. Lovely Teardrops by Jackie Wilson
  9. I Love You by The Volumes

Users who are viewing this thread