Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter

I have 5 more sister to go so I figure I would take a different song every other pick, so I'm going to zig to a favorite 70's tune of mine..

10th Rd - Brandy (You're a fine Girl) - Looking Glass - 1972

Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" is a 1972 song by the American pop rock band Looking Glass, from their debut album, Looking Glass. It was written by Looking Glass lead guitarist and co-vocalist Elliot Lurie.

The single reached number one on both the Billboard Hot 100 and Cash Box Top 100 charts, remaining in the top position for one week. It reached number two on the former chart for four weeks, stuck behind Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again (Naturally)", before reaching number one, only to be dethroned by "Alone Again (Naturally)" the week after. Billboard ranked it as the 12th song of 1972.

Meaning
The lyrics tell of Brandy, a barmaid in a busy seaport harbor town which serves "a hundred ships a day." Though lonely sailors flirt with her, she pines for one who has long since left her because he claimed his life, his love, and his lady, was “the sea.”

The urban myth that Brandy was based on Mary Ellis (1750–1828), a spinster in New Brunswick, New Jersey,[2] has been refuted by Lurie himself.[3]

Lurie also refutes[4] the suggestion that the song was written by songwriter Stephen Homner, and eventually sold to Elliot Lurie after Lurie expressed interest in the song

Brandy (You're a fine Girl)

Follow along on Spotify 

MPH - JUKEBOX - 52Girls

Edited by mphtrilogy
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All these Stevie picks make me nervous that I'd better take this right now. 11.02  Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke (1977) I'm taking this on the single, not the album, release date.  And some versi

Time for another all-timer for my theme. This is another absolutely stacked year for me, but I’d be bummed big time if I couldn’t get this on my jukebox playlist. Yo Mama selects:   9.23 - M

33.xx I Wanna Hold Your Hand (US B-side - I Saw Her Standing There), Beatles (1963)

2 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

I have 5 more sister to go so I figure I would take a different song every other pick, so I'm going to zig to a favorite 70's tune of mine..

Follow along on Spotify 

MPH - JUKEBOX - 52Girls

Was originally on my list but after seeing your theme I decided to be a nice guy and leave it for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

My mom - born in 1943 - once told me she wanted nothing more when she was a kid than a pair of blue suede shoes. She didn't get them, but did get a pair of Elvis sneakers. Which she promptly ruined in one summer mowing the lawn.

not because of the song ...but in 7th grade I wanted and got two-toned blue suede "desert boots".  I loved those shoes and wore them the entire school year.  

Thank you Sears catalog.  Think this but they had a navy blue trim piece around the top and down the eyelets - and the back heel pieces.

• Like 2
Just now, Binky The Doormat said:

what is your theme mph?  

do we have yet another one-hit wonder deal going on???

this just super ####ed up my pick that year

great song ...####

His theme is songs with girls names in them.

• Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Follow along on Spotify 

MPH - JUKEBOX - 52Girls

I had this one on 45 when I was twelve.  I only had a couple of LPs and maybe a half dozen singles, so Brandy and its flip side One by One got a lot of play.

• Like 2

I posted this in the COVID thread but it should really be here with my friends. 

I just had one of the most chilling, surprising, exciting and depressing experiences that I have had in awhile...all over a pretty silly and mundane thing. I was out for a morning walk, enjoying my iced coffee through the well maintained and manicured neighborhood of my small suburban downtown. All of a sudden I felt a rush and a smile, but I didn't know why. As I walked a bit more, I could hear it. It was muffled and I couldn't make out the words but I know the sound as clear as any. Someone was playing an old (obviously) radio broadcast of a Detroit Tigers game. I couldn't make out what year but there is no mistaking what it was. For a moment, it flashed in my body that maybe lockdown was all a dream, then I felt a surge of nostalgia for typical summer days, my youth, the boys of summer, the girls of summer. Then I was hit with the sunken shoulders of reality. 

Perhaps the start of MLB in a few weeks will bring back some bit of joy and normalcy. Things might feel a bit more real if I can just see the Tigers lose 10-3 to the Royals. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 2
18 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Follow along on Spotify 

MPH - JUKEBOX - 52Girls

@SWC

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Hov34 said:

9.07 Let's Groove - Earth, Wind & Fire (1981)

No B-Side

Well you made my pick easier as I was debating between Let's Groove and the one I'm taking here now:

10.12 Earth Wind & Fire - September

(1978)

Not much to say about this other than great groove. This song was played a lot at my high school job and I used to think the lyrics were something something something ah ah ah Living in America.

Suddenly you remember dancing in September is way better line

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, rockaction said:

I remember when all the kids in my nearly all-white town started wearing pants like a certain artist who couldn't be touched. I was walking around with a black leather jacket, Ramones shirt, and ripped, tight jeans. They had these huge pants that got baggy from the waist to the knee. Often possibly with pleats (I don't really know that, I'm just trying to paint a metaphorical visual).

Yearbook photos will bespeak the truth about anachronisms, that's for sure. I'll still drop a leather jacket with a Ramones shirt and ripped jeans. I'll check back on the [redacted] pants at some reunion in the future.

This leads me nicely into my pick:

Round 10  -  U Can't Touch This  -  MC Hammer  -  1990

Such practical and fashionable clothing.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
Just now, krista4 said:

Did you watch any of the others I recommended?

Not yet, but a bunch of them are on HBO Max so I will.  I have so many things recorded on my DVR that I feel like my life is always a race against time. I have to watch the movies off there so I have room to record more. It's taken over my life. 

• Like 1

10.18 - Devil With A Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly b/w I Had It Made - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels (1966)

Springsteen has diversified his encore numbers over the years but Ryder's Detroit Medley has been in the E Street repertoire since the 70s. 

The A-side is a hot platter of Garage Rock.  The change up to the Little Richard song near its mid-point is awesome.  B-side is a James Brown rip off with a cool horn chart.

• Like 7
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I posted this in the COVID thread but it should really be here with my friends. 

I just had one of the most chilling, surprising, exciting and depressing experiences that I have had in awhile...all over a pretty silly and mundane thing. I was out for a morning walk, enjoying my iced coffee through the well maintained and manicured neighborhood of my small suburban downtown. All of a sudden I felt a rush and a smile, but I didn't know why. As I walked a bit more, I could hear it. It was muffled and I couldn't make out the words but I know the sound as clear as any. Someone was playing an old (obviously) radio broadcast of a Detroit Tigers game. I couldn't make out what year but there is no mistaking what it was. For a moment, it flashed in my body that maybe lockdown was all a dream, then I felt a surge of nostalgia for typical summer days, my youth, the boys of summer, the girls of summer. Then I was hit with the sunken shoulders of reality. 

Perhaps the start of MLB in a few weeks will bring back some bit of joy and normalcy. Things might feel a bit more real if I can just see the Tigers lose 10-3 to the Royals. 

97.1 has been broadcasting old games alot. Most are playoff games or no hitters and such but wish they would play some old Ernie Harwell games .

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

97.1 has been broadcasting old games alot. Most are playoff games or no hitters and such but wish they would play some old Ernie Harwell games .

They've been doing that out here as well to fill time on the weekends.  I realized I missed listening to games more than I did watching them.  Going to games tops both of course but that ain't happening anytime soon.

• Like 1

Doo Wop

Rd 10: (Just Like) Romeo and Juliet by The Reflections (1964)

The Reflections were a blue eyed soul group with members from Detroit, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Pittsburgh and Scotland working under the redundantly named Detroit label, Global World Records. You might notice a very distinct Motown sound on this record and that't no coincidence. The forgotten man of Motown wrote this song. Freddie Gorman was the man responsible for writing the first Motown hit to reach #1. Gorman was childhood best friends with Brian Holland. When Holland was hired by the fledgling Motown label, Barry Gordy assigned him to write a song called Please Mr. Postman. Holland turned to Gorman for help. The Marvelettes version would be the first of 3 versions of the song to become a huge hit and one of the few songs to hit #1 multiple times.

To return the favor for the song, Barry Gordy released Freddie Gorman's own song, The Day Will ComeGorman now was a regular part of the songwriting team of Holland-Gorman and Lamont Dozier. They wrote the first hit for The Supremes , they wrote for Smokey Robinson and Mary Wells. Contractual differences led to him being replaced by Brian Holland's brother Edward. Holland-Gorman-Dozier becomes Holland-Dozier-Holland. 

This is when Gorman went to Global World Records and wrote (Just Like) Romeo and Juliet for The Reflections. The group thought it was about the dumbest song they had ever heard. They even added the "doo-doo-doos" mocking the song. They were shocked when Gorman decided to keep it. They were even more shocked after hearing the backing music. Freddie had some of his old pals from Motown together to record the track. Once The Reflections heard this, they were floored by how good it sounded. So to bring this back home, the reason this sounds so much like a Motown song is because it is a Motown song.  It would hit the top 10 but Global World Records couldn't keep pace with Motown. Barry Gordy would buy them out and absorb all of their properties. Gorman would be back at Motown and while he never got to return to lead writer status, he became part of The Originals who recorded backing vocals on many of the most beloved songs of the late 60s and early 70s. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 7
40 minutes ago, Eephus said:

10.18 - Devil With A Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly b/w I Had It Made - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels (1966)

Springsteen has diversified his encore numbers over the years but Ryder's Detroit Medley has been in the E Street repertoire since the 70s. 

The A-side is a hot platter of Garage Rock.  The change up to the Little Richard song near its mid-point is awesome.  B-side is a James Brown rip off with a cool horn chart.

Ouch, that is the first snipe for me

25 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

That explains it

4 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

10.22: Something In The Air - Thunderclap Newman (1969)

Lots to pick from in this year - this is a popular draft selection, but someone's always taken it before I got there ...or I drafted a Zep song :)

Thank you for helping to whittle down my 1969 list.  :thumbup: 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Drafting chronologically has its drawbacks.

I can adjust, luckily. That made me nervous. 

2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The baritone sax part adds something to the song.

That's what gives it the Motown song IMO

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

More Frat Rock :clap:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Eephus said:

I had this one on 45 when I was twelve.  I only had a couple of LPs and maybe a half dozen singles, so Brandy and its flip side One by One got a lot of play.

Yeah I left off the b-side , found the record two years ago, very solid album!

2 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

what is your theme mph?  

do we have yet another one-hit wonder deal going on???

this just super ####ed up my pick that year

great song ...####

Yep, my theme is Girls names, many inspired by my Mom my seven sisters some Aunts and some close cousins... and a whole bunch of personal faves ...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Buffaloes said:

Well you made my pick easier as I was debating between Let's Groove and the one I'm taking here now:

10.12 Earth Wind & Fire - September

(1978)

Not much to say about this other than great groove. This song was played a lot at my high school job and I used to think the lyrics were something something something ah ah ah Living in America.

Suddenly you remember dancing in September is way better line

I love this track, I’ve been curating a series of playlists with a certain chill and easy 70s vibe for about 10 years, and this was on my first cd compilation titled  “lonesome loser” in the anchor spot of track 5. So good! 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Yep, my theme is Girls names, many inspired by my Mom my seven sisters some Aunts and some close cousins... and a whole bunch of personal faves ...

Nice theme.

• Like 1

This next pick is the hardest pick I've had to make. There's one I want but that seems a little too incendiary and out of my cultural ken but is catchy as hell and has a sweet sample. Then there's two right in the sweet spot of my first quarter-life. 1998. One was just out of musical love for the song qua song, the other caused a writing project that wasn't seen through, but it's a song that I have fond memories of going through the process because of its existence. Maybe I'll pick for scarcity instead.

Decisions, decisions. I'll go with the underdog because I drafted the other in our 5-10-15 draft, even though the other one is probably my desert island choice. Going with the writing project. (It was supposed to be taking Amazon reviews of the song and interpolating myself into them at various times, with various characters that weren't necessarily there in the reviews or remembrances, but could very well have been given the time and place of the review and those whom the reviewers mentioned in their review. They were often quite plaintive reviews, actually.) Anyway, here goes with the songs, unless the other one becomes unavailable tomorrow or today. This particular song wasn't part of the writing project at all, but I think it was mentioned in a recent music discussion/draft as maybe being a better song than their other famous hit. 

Round 10

Song: Here Comes The Rain Again

Artist: Eurythmics

Year: 1983

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Pitchfork said:

Can't have a Canadian bands better than Rush draft without drafting a song that sounds like a Rush song (in name) and a band that is kind of Rush adjacent sound wise but obviously much, much better. 

10.13 - Fly at Night - Chilliwack (1976)

Lol. Nice write-up, Pfork. 

9 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

but the reason that it resonates with me is that i have always been fascinated by the ongoing dialogue through the centuries of art and knowledge.  if a novel referenced another book, work of art, or philosophy, i wanted to know about those underlying references.  and what i love about music, and specifically hip-hop and sampling, is to think about the moment that the producer heard some weird track somewhere and felt this shot of lightning like "what if i took that and flipped it over her or slowed it down or sped it up or made it a little groovier" or whatever.  and that moment of inspiration is what i hear in the music as often as any melody or emotion or lyrical expression or anything.

Preach, brother. From one fellow liner note reader to one who sounds like another...

Well put, especially about the inspiration behind the sampling. I've tried to sample and run loops before. It's so much harder than people realize. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pitchfork said:

Can't have a Canadian bands better than Rush draft without drafting a song that sounds like a Rush song (in name) and a band that is kind of Rush adjacent sound wise but obviously much, much better. 

10.13 - Fly at Night - Chilliwack (1976)

This was the origin of the slang term wack

• Like 1

Today’s selection goes out to my sister Liz, who passed away suddenly last June, still recovering from the blow... she would approve of this tune... but she will always be the Dancing Queen...

Pick 11 - Dizzy Miss Lizzy - The Beatles - 1965

Dizzy Miss Lizzy

Follow along on Spotify...
MPH - JUKEBOX - 52Girls

• Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Sad 1

All these Stevie picks make me nervous that I'd better take this right now.

11.02  Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke (1977)

I'm taking this on the single, not the album, release date.  And some versions of the single had another favorite of mine as its b-side, so hell yeah I want that, too:  He's Misstra Know It All.  

Stevie's connection, of course, is through a bunch of collaborations and/or duets with Paul, including "What's That You're Doing" on Tug of War, "Only Our Hearts" on Kisses on the Bottom, and Paul playing guitar on Stevie's "A Time to Love."  Stevie was also part of the infamous A Toot and a Snore in '74 with Paul, John, and Harry Nilsson.

And that is it, the sum total of Stevie's connections to Paul.  Yep, that is all.  There is not any other duet to mention here.

• Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Laughing 3
  • Thinking 1
2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I'm taking this on the single, not the album, release date.  And some versions of the single had another favorite of mine as its b-side, so hell yeah I want that, too:  He's Misstra Know It All.  

Stevie's connection, of course, is through a bunch of collaborations and/or duets with Paul, including "What's That You're Doing" on Tug of War, "Only Our Hearts" on Kisses on the Bottom, and Paul playing guitar on Stevie's "A Time to Love."  Stevie was also part of the infamous A Toot and a Snore in '74 with Paul, John, and Harry Nilsson.

And that is it, the sum total of Stevie's connections to Paul.  Yep, that is all.  There is not any other duet to mention here.

Crap, I just realized the b-side might have been taken already.  There were other b-sides.  I'm running out for a few hours but will correct it when I get back if need be.  @Yo Mama, could you check your Stevie entry on the sheet?  It looks weird - doesn't have his name in there but has three songs listed, one where the name should be.

Edited by krista4

A Night At The Roxbury (never saw it, but this fits). You should have seen some of the earnest reviews back when about what this song meant to people. I don't think they're easily located on Amazon, but I remember one in particular. I try not to approach this ironically, but rather, as a stand-alone piece from its culture.

Round 11

Song: Better Off Alone

Artist: Alice Deejay

Year: 1998

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

This song reminds me of the 70s, and hanging out at the neighborhood pool in the summer. The community pool always had music blasting through the speakers. 

• Like 1