What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (2 Viewers)

Finally got my power back about 2 hours ago while I was at my neighbor's drinking because they had a generator and cold beer. This song came on the radio that I always liked but completely forgot about. 1 hit wonder?(check) BB King sample?(check) I'll take it

Round13Standing Outside a Broken Phonebooth with Money in my Hand- Primitive Radio Gods(1996)
Their fusion of 90s alternative with trip hop beats sounds a lot more like 21st century music than 20th.

Eephus said:
Monday Night Hootenanny

The bar is now open for any outstanding round #13 picks.  By popular demand, we're going to two picks per day starting tomorrow.

Round #14 picks Tuesday AM

Round #15 picks Tuesday after 4PM EDT. 

I'll do the Free Play roll late tomorrow in the West.  Current leaders are 1972, 1981 with a three-way tie between 67, 70 and 79.
Missing this.... :(

Just wondering if you're still planning to mix in the 2020 mid-year song draft here? I hope not because that would be a cluster.  

Either way, I'll keep following this one.  Let me know when the 2020 draft starts up.  :banned:  

Missing this.... :(

Just wondering if you're still planning to mix in the 2020 mid-year song draft here? I hope not because that would be a cluster.  

Either way, I'll keep following this one.  Let me know when the 2020 draft starts up.  :banned:  
Yeah you're probably right.  It was a fun idea at the time but with some new music people such as yourself out on this one, it'll be easier to have a separate thread.

I'm waiting for NV's parole hearing. 

1997 is a rich year for me, actually.
I associate 1997 with two things: An amazing year for Phish concerts, which isn't really germane here, and the rise of Limp Bizkit type stuff, which I don't care for. I actually have a pretty good idea where I'm going, I just haven't bothered to check and see if something else strikes my fancy more. 

Going back to the 80s for my next pick for a song that was somewhat of an anthem to the riots/unrest in the early 80s British inner cities. Plus it gives my playlist a change of pace to mix things up a bit. Yo Mama selects:

13.23 - The Specials - Ghost Town (1981)

There are 2 b-sides on the 7-inch vinyl single, and I’m going to choose Friday Night, Saturday Morning
This one hits pretty hard in 2020...

Going back to the 80s for my next pick for a song that was somewhat of an anthem to the riots/unrest in the early 80s British inner cities. Plus it gives my playlist a change of pace to mix things up a bit. Yo Mama selects:

13.23 - The Specials - Ghost Town (1981)

There are 2 b-sides on the 7-inch vinyl single, and I’m going to choose Friday Night, Saturday Morning
I think I've said this before, but I ####### love your draft.

And completely unrelated to that, y'all have now made me feel sorry for 1997 such that I'll take a song from her in the morning (years are like mountains and boats, all "she"s, right?) if not sniped beforehand.  

I think I've said this before, but I ####### love your draft.

And completely unrelated to that, y'all have now made me feel sorry for 1997 such that I'll take a song from her in the morning (years are like mountains and boats, all "she"s, right?) if not sniped beforehand.  
Thanks!

My theme doesn’t overlap too much with many others’ so I can just try to figure out which of the songs I want are at risk of getting taken by someone else (like for this one I wasn’t sure if The Specials would be considered a one hit wonder).

Thanks!

My theme doesn’t overlap too much with many others’ so I can just try to figure out which of the songs I want are at risk of getting taken by someone else (like for this one I wasn’t sure if The Specials would be considered a one hit wonder).

None in the US.  A bunch in the UK.

Ghost Town is a classic.

Binky The Doormat said:
did you read the post?

I'm kind of stuck in some of these years with the tightness of the "one hit wonder" definition.  

may have a couple more of these  - you two make for a tough couple.   :D
I might have gone with this:

Round 13  -  Mr. Big Stuff  -  Jean Knight  -  1971

Her only other forays into the Billboard Top 100 reached 50 and 57.  

OK, it's Tuesday morning and we can post Round 14 picks.

I could probably get this much later but this is one of the few years where I've made up my mind. This album is one of my favorites of all time and, while not much of a commercial success upon release, has developed an ardent cult following over the years (helped in part by A Perfect Circle covering one of its songs), to the point that the band, which broke up in 1997 and reunited in 2014, did a 20th anniversary tour for it, during which it was played in its entirety. There wasn't much like it at the time -- it's almost a grunge-prog fusion. This track was the one that grabbed me right away and is the most grungy on the record, owing a bit to Nirvana (especially in Ken Andrews' vocal). I'm taking it here because it's the track that fits in best with my theme.

14th round: Failure -- Sergeant Politeness

Year: 1996

Album: Fantastic Planet

Not released as a single. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I could probably get this much later but this is one of the few years where I've made up my mind. This album is one of my favorites of all time and, while not much of a commercial success upon release, has developed an ardent cult following over the years (helped in part by A Perfect Circle covering one of its songs), to the point that the band, which broke up in 1997 and reunited in 2014, did a 20th anniversary tour for it, during which it was played in its entirety. There wasn't much like it at the type -- it's almost a grunge-prog fusion. This track was the one that grabbed me right away and is the most grungy on the record, owing a bit to Nirvana (especially in Ken Andrews' vocal). I'm taking it here because it's the track that fits in best with my theme.

Never heard of them but I liked it. Sounds like the Foo Fighters early work to me.

do we know who's up?  now I am having issues with the spreadsheet....

edit, just read the header, will post am pick in a bit...

Doing my part to try and avoid 1967 from being an option...

Round 14 Ike & Tina Turner - Proud Mary (1970)

I'd have picked this a whole lot sooner, but I had 3 options on years so I ear marked this for round 14 and just hoped no one else would take it prior. This is the right length for a CCR song (@Eephus>hi), but Tina takes the latter part of this track to a level Fogerty quite simply cannot. And that horn section. I'm not sure a better cover of anything has ever been made.

This one goes out to my sister Debora (no h), she just turned 60 a few weeks ago, originally she had planned to rent out a bowling alley for a fun celebration, sadly those plans were shelved for now, I made her a 1960  playlist songs that came out in 1960  , a real cross pollination of easy listening and the emergence of a new era ushering in.

13th Rd Pick - Deborah - Dave Edmunds - 1978 from the album Tracks on Wax 4

Deborah

Follow along on Spotify

MPH - JUKEBOX - 52Girls

I'd have picked this a whole lot sooner, but I had 3 options on years so I ear marked this for round 14 and just hoped no one else would take it prior. This is the right length for a CCR song (@Eephus>hi), but Tina takes the latter part of this track to a level Fogerty quite simply cannot. And that horn section. I'm not sure a better cover of anything has ever been made.
dang, nice pick, I can pivot to my backup next pick, love this one!

I could probably get this much later but this is one of the few years where I've made up my mind. This album is one of my favorites of all time and, while not much of a commercial success upon release, has developed an ardent cult following over the years (helped in part by A Perfect Circle covering one of its songs), to the point that the band, which broke up in 1997 and reunited in 2014, did a 20th anniversary tour for it, during which it was played in its entirety. There wasn't much like it at the time -- it's almost a grunge-prog fusion. This track was the one that grabbed me right away and is the most grungy on the record, owing a bit to Nirvana (especially in Ken Andrews' vocal). I'm taking it here because it's the track that fits in best with my theme.

That's twice thus far, Shooter.

**add**

I'm very surprised our local grunge station didn't pick this one up at that time.

looks like I am one pick behind... going to Zig to an all time fave from CSN, the single on Discogs is listed at 4.35 long, the album version is much longer clocking in at 7.24, if it's ok with the judges will be going with the album version....

14th Rd: Crosby, Stills & Nash ‎– Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - 1969 

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes

Follow along on Spotify

MPH - JUKEBOX - 52Girls

"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" is a song written by Stephen Stills and performed by Crosby, Stills & Nash (CSN). It appeared on the group's self-titled debut album in 1969 and was released as a single, reaching #21 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart. In Canada, "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" peaked at number 11.[1] The song imitates the actual classical music suite as an ordered set of musical pieces.

Background
The title "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" (a play on words for "Sweet Judy Blue Eyes") refers to Stephen Stills' former girlfriend, singer/songwriter Judy Collins, and the lyrics to most of the suite's sections consist of his thoughts about her and their imminent breakup. Collins is known for her piercing blue eyes. During a July 15, 2007 interview for the National Public Radio program All Things Considered, Stills revealed that Collins was present in the studio when the demo tapes were recorded and had advised him, "Don't stay in here [in the studio] all night now." Stills also commented that the breakup with Collins "was imminent. ... We were just a little too big for one house." Stills said that he liked parts of this demo version of "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" better than the released version; the song and other demos of early Crosby, Stills and Nash songs were released commercially on the album Just Roll Tape.[2]

Collins and Stills had met in 1967 and dated for two years. In 1969, she was appearing in the New York Shakespeare Festival musical production of Peer Gynt and had fallen in love with her co-star Stacy Keach, eventually leaving Stills for him. Stills was devastated by the possible breakup and wrote the song as a response to his sadness. In a 2000 interview, Collins gave her impressions of when she first heard the song:

[Stephen] came to where I was singing one night on the West Coast and brought his guitar to the hotel and he sang me "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes," the whole song. And of course it has lines in it that referred to my therapy. And so he wove that all together in this magnificent creation. So the legacy of our relationship is certainly in that song.

Love this version- it's my wife's go to kaoroke song and she rocks it out. If I had a different theme this would definitely be in my jukebox.

Fun fact: Fogerty started performing CCR songs in concert again after a conversation with Bob Dylan. Dylan told him, if you don’t play CCR material, everyone is going to remember Proud Mary as a Tina Turner song.

I haven’t had any time for this draft and I may have to bow out. Please put me on autoskip for the time being and if and when I have time I’ll try to catch up. Sorry about this. 
I'm curious. If you didn't have time for this draft, why did you start another "tim" draft after this one had started? Are you going to bow out of that one too?

I'm curious. If you didn't have time for this draft, why did you start another "tim" draft after this one had started? Are you going to bow out of that one too?
No. I’ve run into some personal issues in the last day or two that were unexpected- no emergencies, just some stuff I need to deal with. But it’s going to limit my time for the next few weeks. The movie draft is easy to make picks in so long as I don’t have to run things. This one is more difficult because I made a theme- 50 songs by 50 different female artists from Southern California in 50 different years- which is quite challenging. I don’t regret that; it’s a fun challenge. But now I’m out of time for it for the moment. Again my apologies. 

No. I’ve run into some personal issues in the last day or two that were unexpected- no emergencies, just some stuff I need to deal with. But it’s going to limit my time for the next few weeks. The movie draft is easy to make picks in so long as I don’t have to run things. This one is more difficult because I made a theme- 50 songs by 50 different female artists from Southern California in 50 different years- which is quite challenging. I don’t regret that; it’s a fun challenge. But now I’m out of time for it for the moment. Again my apologies. 
best wishes for everything working out...

Users who are viewing this thread