Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter


Recommended Posts

15.ee - What's a Matter Baby b/w Hideaway - Ellen Foley (1979)

Ellen Foley is a soprano belter who also sang on Bat Out of Hell and replaced Markie Post on Night Court.  She's still going strong at age 69.  The song is a cover of Timi Yuro's 1962 hit but its over-to-top Rock 'n Roll arrangement gives it a similar retro vibe as some early Springsteen.  It doesn't have a saxophone but it does have Ian Hunter on piano.  If you really squint your ears, the flip side sounds a bit like Springsteen's "No Retreat No Surrender".

There was a post early on that mentioned Mark Ronson, Mick Ronson and Mick Jones of Foreigner.  Well, this Ellen Foley record was produced by Mick Ronson and her next one by Mick Jones of the Clash who she was dating at the time. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Binky The Doormat said:

yeah ...he has.

Oh, okay. Guess he has. I'm fine with tim, personally. Him dropping out won't mean a thing. I dropped out of judging a few of his categories because I just couldn't wrap my head around it to do it, so I've recently ducked a little responsibility, too. I'll give him a mulligan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, simey said:

They  were (are) a mixed band from Atlanta, although mostly made up of black members. They opened for AC DC, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc, back in their day, and held their own very well. They were known for being fantastic live. They were huge in Europe after playing in Rockaplast in '78. They still tour now, and most of their audience is white, but there are blacks that see them also. They had a hard time getting played on black radio during their hey day. As a matter of fact they named an album Black Radio Won't Play This Record. They still get played on the radio around here, and I turn the volume way up.

That sounds fascinating. Never heard of them, will have to check them out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Eephus said:

15.ee - What's a Matter Baby b/w Hideaway - Ellen Foley (1979)

Ellen Foley is a soprano belter who also sang on Bat Out of Hell and replaced Markie Post on Night Court.  She's still going strong at age 69.  The song is a cover of Timi Yuro's 1962 hit but its over-to-top Rock 'n Roll arrangement gives it a similar retro vibe as some early Springsteen.  It doesn't have a saxophone but it does have Ian Hunter on piano.  If you really squint your ears, the flip side sounds a bit like Springsteen's "No Retreat No Surrender".

There was a post early on that mentioned Mark Ronson, Mick Ronson and Mick Jones of Foreigner.  Well, this Ellen Foley record was produced by Mick Ronson and her next one by Mick Jones of the Clash who she was dating at the time. 

 

Meatloaf stickin' his tongue down my throat for like 12 minutes on stage every night ...:lmao:

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel bad about bailing on the movie draft after one round but as a nerd, I'd feel obligated to rewatch a lot of films before picking them.  Music drafts don't require that level of commitment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

that's some convoluted bull#### right there.

what's the purpose of the initial three years?

not upset ...just seems overly ...everything

It gets worse, as I believe the next dice roll with be among five years, then seven...and IIRC it's one-and-done for these years so if they lose the roll-off, they don't get another chance.

And I think the next roll is after six more rounds instead of five?

And we also get a wild card of our own eligible after some round?

There might be more.

I guess I should make a pick...

What are the totals for the possible years right now?  Wondering if I should try to bump anything up and/or keep it in the three.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

It gets worse, as I believe the next dice roll with be among five years, then seven...and IIRC it's one-and-done for these years so if they lose the roll-off, they don't get another chance.

And I think the next roll is after six more rounds instead of five?

And we also get a wild card of our own eligible after some round?

There might be more.

I guess I should make a pick...

What are the totals for the possible years right now?  Wondering if I should try to bump anything up and/or keep it in the three.

Glad somebody has been paying attention.

There's a sheet to the far right that has the frequency of the years.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Yo Mama said:

I thought only the winner of the roll off didn’t get another chance, not the two losers

Only the winner is eliminated from future contention.  The two losers soldier on in the face of ever increasing odds.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I might be engaging in too much strategic strategery, but I'd like to keep 1970 in the mix for the free roll and keep 1973 out, so...

15.2  CSNY - Ohio (1970)

Is this too depressing for my jukebox?  I don't care; it's beautiful.  I will skip the b-side, though.

Ringo played drums on Stephen Stills's album Stills, and Stills played piano on Ringo's hit "It Don't Come Easy" and played guitar, sang vocals, and produced Ringo's album Stop and Smell the Roses.  

Fun facts:  1.  Stills bought Ringo's mansion in Surrey.  2.  Having played the same venue the night before, Stills donated the sound and lighting systems and production manager for George's Concert for Bangladesh; however, upset at not being invited to perform nor even mentioned by name or thanked by George, he spent the whole concert drunk in Ringo's dressing room.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 7
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I might be engaging in too much strategic strategery, but I'd like to keep 1970 in the mix for the free roll and keep 1973 out, so...

15.2  CSNY - Ohio (1970)

Is this too depressing for my jukebox?  I don't care; it's beautiful.  I will skip the b-side, though.

Ringo played drums on Stephen Stills's album Stills, and Stills played piano on Ringo's hit "It Don't Come Easy" and played guitar, sang vocals, and produced Ringo's album Stop and Smell the Roses.  

Fun facts:  1.  Stills bought Ringo's mansion in Surrey.  2.  Having played the same venue the night before, Stills donated the sound and lighting systems and production manager for George's Concert for Bangladesh; however, upset at not being invited to perform nor even mentioned by name or thanked by George, he spent the whole concert drunk in Ringo's dressing room.

Stills was also almost in the Monkees who of course had a huge influence on the Beatles.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

Ok, I’m not messing around any more. This is definitely a top 5 song for me in this theme (and it ain’t 5), but I’ve been holding off taking it since it’s super unlikely anyone else would take it (plus this year surprisingly has a ton of options for me). 

But just in case someone likes the beat or the bass line, or in case the song samples some obscure guitar riff from an unreleased George Harrison demo,  or in case Bruce Springsteen has a song about making sweet love to an authority figure, or in case Andre Young PhD was born in Saskatoon and is definitely better than Rush, or in case wikkid was a roadie for the group’s early underground Compton days, or in case someone thinks Eazy-E sounds like a female singer from S Cal, or in case someone has a sister named Fuquetta with a clever nickname. . . . I definitely have to take this in my top 15. Yo Mama proudly and defiantly selects:

 

15.23 - N.W.A. - F**k Tha Police (1988)

Ain’t no mother F’in b-side

 

during my workout today i was spinning the Offspring cd i took  in the DID draft which has a police diss track and it got me to wondering when you were going to take NWA's. kind of weird synchronicity. but i thought you were taking this at some point. kind of had to

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I might be engaging in too much strategic strategery, but I'd like to keep 1970 in the mix for the free roll and keep 1973 out, so...

15.2  CSNY - Ohio (1970)

Is this too depressing for my jukebox?  I don't care; it's beautiful.  I will skip the b-side, though.

Ringo played drums on Stephen Stills's album Stills, and Stills played piano on Ringo's hit "It Don't Come Easy" and played guitar, sang vocals, and produced Ringo's album Stop and Smell the Roses.  

Fun facts:  1.  Stills bought Ringo's mansion in Surrey.  2.  Having played the same venue the night before, Stills donated the sound and lighting systems and production manager for George's Concert for Bangladesh; however, upset at not being invited to perform nor even mentioned by name or thanked by George, he spent the whole concert drunk in Ringo's dressing room.

Grrr, this was my choice for a 1970 free play pick

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

iirc saw this band at my first real concert. Red Rocks when I was like 14-15. These 2 songs kicked so much ### back then. lead singer can wail

 

sheeeeeeeeiiiiiiiitttttt list

I saw L7 open for Nirvana in 1991

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14.wooo

Bob Marley - Lively up Yourself

1972

OK, figuring out some of these release dates for older reggae tunes is confusing. The 1972 version of this song is missing Marley's WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at the beginning of the track that I love so much, but 1972 is what I got open so that's the version I'm taking. This is an old fav anyway and I wanted to stay away from Bob songs that appear on the album Legend because there are a lot of great Bob songs, and it seems like Legend was played at any college party that played reggae that I went to or held. And this song hasn't been co-opted or commodified by the Caribbean tourist industry--afaik at least.

 

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

I feel bad about bailing on the movie draft after one round but as a nerd, I'd feel obligated to rewatch a lot of films before picking them.  Music drafts don't require that level of commitment.

You are missed, would’ve liked to have seen what you would have picked....

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

Yo Mama’s Jukebox

15 Years of Unrest and Protest

Link to Spotify playlist

 

1968 - Revolution - The Beatles

1970 - War Pigs - Black Sabbath

1971 - What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye

1973 - Living for the City - Stevie Wonder

1976 - Anarchy in the U.K. - Sex Pistols

1979 - Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2 - Pink Floyd

1981 - Ghost Town - The Specials

1982 - The Message - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five

1988 - F**k Tha Police - N.W.A.

1989 - Fight the Power - Public Enemy

1992 - Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine

1999 - Mathematics - Mos Def

2004 - American Idiot - Green Day

2015 - Alright - Kendrick Lamar

2019 - This Land - Gary Clark Jr

 

😎😎😎

Looking good!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15.turn your sub up and dance.

Ice Cube (Feat.George Clinton) - Bop Gun (One Nation) Radio Edit
1993

1993 much more byyyyyyyyyeee-eeeeeeee-iiiiiiiii-eeeeeee-ounce. Easy to get the year right on this one. Funky tune with a bunch of funk callbacks. Used to really like this thing when it came out. Apparently the non-radio edit is over 11 mins long....the B-side is an unmistakably early-90s west coast track where Cube gives an outstanding bird call, but not sure it fits the groove here so leaving it. I don't know if this was on any of the sample guys' lists, but I'm gonna reach for it here.

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

15.turn your sub up and dance.

Ice Cube (Feat.George Clinton) - Bop Gun (One Nation) Radio Edit
1993

1993 much more byyyyyyyyyeee-eeeeeeee-iiiiiiiii-eeeeeee-ounce. Easy to get the year right on this one. Funky tune with a bunch of funk callbacks. Used to really like this thing when it came out. Apparently the non-radio edit is over 11 mins long....the B-side is an unmistakably early-90s west coast track where Cube gives an outstanding bird call, but not sure it fits the groove here so leaving it. I don't know if this was on any of the sample guys' lists, but I'm gonna reach for it here.

such a jam

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Time for the ping-pong balls?  Will all three years get the same number of ping-pong balls, or will they be weighted based on number of picks?

Whatever year wins it, does that mean everyone will be picking something from that year tomorrow morning/afternoon?

Edited by simey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eephus said:

15.ee - What's a Matter Baby b/w Hideaway - Ellen Foley (1979)

Ellen Foley is a soprano belter who also sang on Bat Out of Hell and replaced Markie Post on Night Court.  She's still going strong at age 69.  The song is a cover of Timi Yuro's 1962 hit but its over-to-top Rock 'n Roll arrangement gives it a similar retro vibe as some early Springsteen.  It doesn't have a saxophone but it does have Ian Hunter on piano.  If you really squint your ears, the flip side sounds a bit like Springsteen's "No Retreat No Surrender".

There was a post early on that mentioned Mark Ronson, Mick Ronson and Mick Jones of Foreigner.  Well, this Ellen Foley record was produced by Mick Ronson and her next one by Mick Jones of the Clash who she was dating at the time. 

 

Holy Moly!  She's brilliant.

Glad to be spot-checking the going-ons here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, simey said:

Whatever year wins it, does that mean everyone will be picking something from that year tomorrow morning/afternoon?

Do you mean by rule or in practice?  I think a lot of people will, if they find the year appealing.  But of course they don't have to.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, simey said:

Oh, ok. It's not mandatory. 

Not mandatory.  The year is announced.  You can take one from that year any time in Rounds 16-20, whether you already took one in 1-15 and whether you later take another in 21-50.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rolling one d3 with no modifiers.
 

Quote

 

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls.

1d3, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 2
Roll subtotal: 2
Roll total: 2

 

The first Free Play is 1981.  Everybody gets an extra 1981 pick if they want one.  It may be used anytime in the next three days.

Suck it 1972.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...