What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (3 Viewers)

Going back to the 80s for my next pick for a song that was somewhat of an anthem to the riots/unrest in the early 80s British inner cities. Plus it gives my playlist a change of pace to mix things up a bit. Yo Mama selects:

13.23 - The Specials - Ghost Town (1981)

There are 2 b-sides on the 7-inch vinyl single, and I’m going to choose Friday Night, Saturday Morning
i dont make lists in advance for these things. now, i'm mad i didnt cuz this would have been 1.01 for my horror-movie forgotten diner jukebox. age is all it's cracked up to be,, i mean, it's in the rack next to my desk. i dont like being angry w myself - i usually save that for y'all. great pick

Last edited by a moderator:
16.03: How Long - Ace (1975)

whewww ...another very, very thin year for one-hit wonders, glad I got this one

gonna have to put the bonus 1981 based on the icosahedron dice roll on hold for the moment ...

much in the same vein as my '74 one-hit wonder, "Magic" - this is not my genre - and radio play in general was pretty weak

BUT on the other hand, it's a mellow, memorable tune that has Paul Carrack singing lead

14.xx Fade Into You by Mazzy Star (1993)
i didnt think much of this backinaday, but i really hate it now, altho i appreciate it like 1000x more. i mean, this is the Rosetta Stone for faded chick singing, right? and that's all there is anymore (not counting Idolbombers), so much so that, when a friend linked me to some Phoebe Bridgers a few weeks ago, i was actually surprised when she went full voice 3rd song in. is dis da source a dat?

Trying not to make this a K-Tel “Songs of Protest”, but this is another classic that will go well on my playlist. This is another song that’s actually a b-side with a classic a-side that I’ll be also taking. Yo Mama selects:

16.03 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son (1969)

a-side is the also strong Down on the Corner

I’ve got a bunch of other good 1969 songs, so this would be a great free play year. 

14.03: Brother Louie - Stories (1973)

another one that brings back clear memories of my teenage years ...and just how big the "Midnight Special" was in those days. 

had no idea that this was a cover - the band Hot Chocolate wrote and recorded this about six months prior to the Stories covering it and making it a #1 hit

wow - and had no idea that the keyboard guy in the group came from the Left Banke and wrote one of my favorites "Just Walk Away Renee"
my 'stache is soooo hard right now.

Trying not to make this a K-Tel “Songs of Protest”, but this is another classic that will go well on my playlist. This is another song that’s actually a b-side with a classic a-side that I’ll be also taking. Yo Mama selects:

16.03 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son (1969)

a-side is the also strong Down on the Corner

I’ve got a bunch of other good 1969 songs, so this would be a great free play year. 

I grew up during the Vietnam war years in a military town.  The Selective Service System was suspended 10 months before my 18th birthday (though they hadn't called anyone for a couple of years prior).  

This song meant one helluva lot to us.  

13. I Got The...

Labi Siffre

(1975)

Labi is sort of a curious fellow, drawing on a number of different musical styles over time and taking hiatuses (hiati?) from time to time.  This was a pretty good album, though most of it was fairly different than this.  More folky and ballady, though he did experiment with a variety of styles.  This track almost reminds me of a Day in the Life with the way the sections shift and build.

One of which became the bed for

14. Streets is Watching

Jay-Z

(1997)

Where they grabbed the strings from the beginning of the song and turned it into the riff and it became a pretty good little track.

My street mentality flip bricks forever, know me and money
we like armed co-defendants, ***** we stick together

And then...

15. My Name Is

Eminem

(1999)

And then Dre and Em went the other way with the track and took the middle to announce Em's arrival with Hi Kids do you like Primus do you want to see my stick nine inch nails through each one of my eyelids?

These are more poppy selections than usual, but this troika is so cool that I had to do it.
THASSSS some heavy, 3D chess kinda #### right there!

I might be engaging in too much strategic strategery, but I'd like to keep 1970 in the mix for the free roll and keep 1973 out, so...

15.2  CSNY - Ohio (1970)

Is this too depressing for my jukebox?  I don't care; it's beautiful.  I will skip the b-side, though.

Ringo played drums on Stephen Stills's album Stills, and Stills played piano on Ringo's hit "It Don't Come Easy" and played guitar, sang vocals, and produced Ringo's album Stop and Smell the Roses.  

Fun facts:  1.  Stills bought Ringo's mansion in Surrey.  2.  Having played the same venue the night before, Stills donated the sound and lighting systems and production manager for George's Concert for Bangladesh; however, upset at not being invited to perform nor even mentioned by name or thanked by George, he spent the whole concert drunk in Ringo's dressing room.
only Neil Young song i dont do my NY imitation to

We can post now, right?  Sun's up on the East Coast?

16th Round – The Rolling Stones – Waiting on a Friend (1981)

I am so excited to get this as my bonus 1981 pick.  I had pegged this as a top 1981 pick for me, but then decided to check @Dr. Octopus’s list and choose whichever Tattoo You song he had ranked highest.  As it turned out, it was this one that I wanted to begin with, which he had at #29!  :hifive: So this is dedicated to DocOc and his excellent taste. 

There are so many connections between the Rolling Stones and the Beatles that it seems silly to mention them.  Everyone knows that the Beatles “donated” to the Stones what became their first hit single, “I Wanna Be Your Man.”

Many here would know about The Dirty Mac, the group formed by John along with Eric Clapton, Mitch Mitchell, and Keith Richards, which recorded a version of “Yer Blues” for The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus.

Ronnie Wood and George wrote "Far East Man" together and put versions of it on each of their own albums.  

George appeared on Bill Wyman's band The Rhythm Kings's album Double Bill.  

Then we get to Nicky Hopkins, who played piano on this track.  He played electric piano on the Beatles’s “Revolution.”  He played piano on the Jackie Lomax song, “Sour Milk Sea,” written by George and recorded with George, Paul and Ringo.  He played on John’s Imagine and Walls and Bridges albums.  He played on George’s Living in a Material World album. He played on Ringo’s Ringo and Goodnight Vienna albums.  And he played on Paul’s Flowers in the Dirt album.  It seems everyone liked Nicky Hopkins.

I will also take the b-side here, Little T & A, since the good doctor ranked it #123 on his list.
i hung out w Nicky & friends (including most Stones but Mick) when one of my bands opened for Martha Reeves during a week-long showcase gig supporting her first solo album. he was digging being the bandleader (he had high-priced gunslinger producer Richard Perry's proxy on'is) for a change but, in downtime, very George-like - quiet, sardonic, smarter than he wanted you to think he was.

i hung out w Nicky & friends (including most Stones but Mick) when one of my bands opened for Martha Reeves during a week-long showcase gig supporting her first solo album. he was digging being the bandleader (he had high-priced gunslinger producer Richard Perry's proxy on'is) for a change but, in downtime, very George-like - quiet, sardonic, smarter than he wanted you to think he was.
Very interesting and cool.

16.54-46 Toots & the Maytals - 54-46 Was My Number

So I am not sure the linked version is the 1968 version? I clicked a few 1968 versions and some seem slower than this one, but the description in the one linked says 1968. this is the THE version though, imo, so if it's the wrong one whatev. The jukebox has whatever the 1968 version is. Legendary reggae band and Toots is one of my favorite vocalists in the genre. They have another classic that I debated, but it's in a year that I've already taken. Either way, great tunes these ones. Great band this one.

I'm reading in the "who has coronavirus" thread, people waiting a week or more to get test results and I really don't get it.

Here we've had on demand drive thru testing for almost two months, symptoms or not. Results next day online. 

The United States is the medical and technological behemoth of the world, there's no way we should be this much more effective/efficient. My city is up to 26 days without a case. 

For large cities Toronto is now around ~20 new cases per day and obviously is in such good shape they're being used as a "hub city" for NHL. 

Masks are still mandatory indoors but in my area things are otherwise back to normal (Toronto is being cautious and still in phase two because there are still daily new cases). Anyway, I'm just posting stuff in here now so I don't get banned in stupid fights in other threads. 
This shows the difference in social distancing on a US tourist boat vs a Canadian tourist boat at Niagara Falls.

The main Toronto rock station for the past 30 years or so was 102.1 The Edge (it still exists but an upstart station called Indie88 seems to have stolen most of the audience, myself included) and for a long time they were known as "The Spirit of Radio" (the Rush song was written about the station, not the other way around and has the catalogue number 1021). They stopped using that tagline for a long time and are more a hard rock outlet now but for a long time on Sunday nights they would do "Spirit of Radio Sundays" basically calling back to those golden days of the station. It was cancelled in 2015 despite being the highest rated show on the station, because it did poorly in the 18-34 range.

I found both these songs from that program and both have become all time favourites of mine. I kind of associate them with each other and with that program, both fall in the broad definition of New Wave but at the heavier end of the spectrum with that genre, I'd say.

13.13 - Romantic Traffic - Spoons (1984)

14.18 - We Run - Strange Advance (1985)

There's not going to be a ton of hip-hop in my Jukebox, just not a strong point of Canadian music to date, with a couple big exceptions. This one is a must have for when it's time to fill the dancefloor though, absolute classic. 

15.18 - Let Your Backbone Slide - Maestro Fresh Wes (1989)

With My Mind On My Money And My Money On My Beer

This song never charted in the US, I just assumed it was huge there too. Maybe it was, I feel like I hear it on the SiriusXM 90s station all the time, either way it should have been.

16.18 - Drinking in LA - Bram Van 3000 (1997)

Wif LA and sweel soul jams in mind.

This is one original they used to play when I worked at J. Peterman that year. Elaine used to yell at me all the time and I took naps on Yankee time.

Okay, I really did retail for J. Crew. I was too big for their clothing line, even though I weighed no more than 190 at 6'0". It was all very comical. But I wound up with a lot of hours for some reason. I think two of the managers took a shine to me. Anyway, the people were cool and they played this Isley Brothers song every day. It's also a classic sample beat for Ice Cube's legendary track. 

Round 16.xx - Footsteps In The Dark, Pts 1 & 2 - The Isley Brothers - 1977

Round 17.xx  - It Was A Good Day - Ice Cube - 1993

I’m going to take advantage of the first free play year since I have a few gaps I’ll need to fill for my jukebox. I was bummed to miss out on this album in the DID draft since it’s one of my favorites. Yo Mama selects:

17.23 - The Police - Invisible Sun (1981)

The b-side is a cool instrumental I’d never heard before called Shambelle, what the heck I’ll take it. 

Not sure how a group of white dudes calling themselves The Police singing gentrified reggae is going to be received by the rest of my jukebox, but this is a song about the unrest in Northern Ireland and a lament for people in war torn countries so I’m taking it.  The video was banned by the BBC since it showed a bunch of footage from Northern Ireland. 

In hindsight, I should have paired up The Police with my F Tha Police song ala the @rockaction and @Long Ball Larry double ups to create some serious conflict. 

There's not going to be a ton of hip-hop in my Jukebox, just not a strong point of Canadian music to date, with a couple big exceptions. This one is a must have for when it's time to fill the dancefloor though, absolute classic. 

15.18 - Let Your Backbone Slide - Maestro Fresh Wes (1989)
This uses a drum sample that's legendary in the hip hop world. I can hear the drum break and know it. That's what this project has gotten me. Can you hear the [redacted] break? Or is that [redacted] drummer? Yeah, man, I can hear it. 

I’m going to take advantage of the first free play year since I have a few gaps I’ll need to fill for my jukebox. I was bummed to miss out on this album in the DID draft since it’s one of my favorites. Yo Mama selects:

17.23 - The Police - Invisible Sun (1981)

The b-side is a cool instrumental I’d never heard before called Shambelle, what the heck I’ll take it. 

Not sure how a group of white dudes calling themselves The Police singing gentrified reggae is going to be received by the rest of my jukebox, but this is a song about the unrest in Northern Ireland and a lament for people in war torn countries so I’m taking it.  The video was banned by the BBC since it showed a bunch of footage from Northern Ireland. 

In hindsight, I should have paired up The Police with my F Tha Police song ala the @rockaction and @Long Ball Larry double ups to create some serious conflict. 

Invisible Sun is my favorite Police song depending on what day it is. And Shambelle is awesome -- it's on their box set. 

Today is George Clinton's 79th birthday, so it's the best day to take this. Driving funk with one of Eddie Hazel's best performances? Yes please. 

17th Round: Funkadelic -- Red Hot Mama 

Year: 1974

Album: Standing on the Verge of Getting It On

B-side: Vital Juices, which is just the second half of the jam. 

Someone spliced them together on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygUsrOC2PrI

Taking them in this format as opposed to the album version, which has a WTF intro that might scare some people out of my bar. There's another version -- quite different -- that appears on another P-Funk project from a different year. 

RIP Eddie Hazel and Bernie Worrell. 

17.03: Fooled Around And Fell In Love - Elvin Bishop (1976)

Timeless classic from Elvin. 

He made his bones playing guitar with the legendary Paul Butterfield Blues Band.  I didn't know who they were until I got to college and a couple of the more studied audiophiles were worshipping Mike Bloomfield.

That's Mickey Thomas singing the lead in the video ...who went on to be the lead singer for Jefferson Starship.  Elvin is in the 3 piece tan suit playing lead guitar.  

1988 - F**k Tha Police - N.W.A.

1989 - Fight the Power - Public Enemy

1992 - Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine
This trio in particular aren’t thrilled with my last pick.  My 1990 and 1991 picks better be strong to fit between these guys. 

"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor - go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs and burn 'em. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who've made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years... rrrrrrrreal ####### high on drugs."

Round 17 Amy Winehouse - Valerie (2007)

"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor - go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs and burn 'em. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who've made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years... rrrrrrrreal ####### high on drugs."

god bless Bill Hicks ... :cry:

Sorry to drop this many on you, but catching up.  Have a lot of reading to do, but I don't think I took any that have been taken. (And 1981 can be taken twice, yes?)

12.xx Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye (1973)

B-Side:  I Wish It Would Rain  (hell yes - Only Marvin can make a Temptations song better?)

13.xx Let It Whip - Dazz Band (1982)

14.xx So In Love - Jill Scott (2011)

15.xx Work (Freemasons Remix) - Kelly Rowland (2007)

16.xx Burn Rubber On Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me) - The Gap Band (1981)

When I was a freshman in college, we'd go to a dance club on Wednesdays for Ladies Night. Women got to come in for free and drink for next to nothing for two hours, and then at the 2 hour mark they'd let the animals (men) in to take advantage of the drunk women. We'd always leave once the cheap drinking was over, and go to the New Deli for Dead Night. Anyway, I always liked dancing to this song during Ladies Night.

Round 17

Let the Music Play - Shannon (1983)

Round 17  The Who - Substitute (1966)

For whatever reason, this is my favorite Who song.  

I like the b-side of the UK single, Circles (Instant Party), better than the one from the US version, so I'll take that.

Beatles collaborations include:

Pete Townshend and Kenney Jones were part of the "Rockestra" with Wings that recorded the Grammy-winning "Rockestra Theme" and another song, "So Glad to See You Here," both on Back to the Egg.  Keith Moon was to have been part of it but died a month before recording.

John Entwistle was a member of Ringo's Third All-Starr Band, and Pete Townshend was a guest artist in the Ninth iteration.

And of course, not a direct collaboration but Ringo's son Zak Starkey has been recording and touring with The Who since 1996.

17.xx - Take Me to the River, Talking Heads (1978)

Only repeater from my other 2020 music drafts and the only of my 5 favorite singles that fits my premise. It's heartbreakingly hilarious that two of my very favorite FFAppers, Krista (a very yowly Beatles cover) & Uruk Hai (this), passionately hate my two favorite cover songs of all time.
Does it help if I like this one?  Maybe Uruk can like the one I hate.

17.holla-day

T.W.D.Y. (featuring Too $hort & Mac Mall) - Player's Holiday

Been kind of a bummer of a day. Too $hort+Ant Banks over a Bill Withers track reminder to make it a good one. and song fits the jukebox so yeah.

This is one original they used to play when I worked at J. Peterman that year. Elaine used to yell at me all the time and I took naps on Yankee time.

Okay, I really did retail for J. Crew. I was too big for their clothing line, even though I weighed no more than 190 at 6'0". It was all very comical. But I wound up with a lot of hours for some reason. I think two of the managers took a shine to me. Anyway, the people were cool and they played this Isley Brothers song every day. It's also a classic sample beat for Ice Cube's legendary track. 

I'd like to like this twice for each part of the og track and again for the Cube classic. Phenomenal pairing here.

I just heard this on the radio today -- and the DJ was explaining how it was a cover of something by an obscure band. 

I was looking at this one earlier this week...

I just heard this on the radio today -- and the DJ was explaining how it was a cover of something by an obscure band. 
Yep, Valerie was a creation by irish indie rock band Zutons the year before. What's wild is Winehouse was quite vocal about not listening to music made after 1967. Yet latched onto...this?

Users who are viewing this thread