What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (1 Viewer)

17.xx Little Honda by The Beach Boys (1964)
Dang, I want to talk about great cover versions of this song, but they'll remain in light, or [redacted]. But there was a killer punk one done of this with some twee female backing vocals in the chorus. Also, this was a favorite of mine growing up on the 8-tracks my parents had. 

Gonna wake you up early 'cause I'm gonna take a ride with you
Going down to the Honda shop I'll tell you what we're gonna do
Put on a ratty t-shirt I'll take you any place you want me to

Wif LA and sweel soul jams in mind.

This is one original they used to play when I worked at J. Peterman that year. Elaine used to yell at me all the time and I took naps on Yankee time.

Okay, I really did retail for J. Crew. I was too big for their clothing line, even though I weighed no more than 190 at 6'0". It was all very comical. But I wound up with a lot of hours for some reason. I think two of the managers took a shine to me. Anyway, the people were cool and they played this Isley Brothers song every day. It's also a classic sample beat for Ice Cube's legendary track. 

Round 16.xx - Footsteps In The Dark, Pts 1 & 2 - The Isley Brothers - 1977

Round 17.xx  - It Was A Good Day - Ice Cube - 1993
And now I'm wondering if you one upped the Lou Reed/Tribe double dip.

My notebook isn't up to date. Which yowly Beatles cover do you hate again? 
I've been vocal about hating every Joe Cocker cover of a Beatles song, so I assumed it was With A Little Help from My Friends or She Came in through the Bathroom Window, but I could be wrong.

I've been vocal about hating every Joe Cocker cover of a Beatles song, so I assumed it was With A Little Help from My Friends or She Came in through the Bathroom Window, but I could be wrong.
Very yowly, indeed, that Cocker.

I actually really dig his cover of the Beatles at Woodstock. Tres bien. Tres bien. 

And now I'm wondering if you one upped the Lou Reed/Tribe double dip.
Yeah, I'm delving into classic samples and songs whereas the others have been eclectic choices. I'll get back to eclecticism in a bit. I love the hidden gems behind the samples. These past two were really overground. I'm having trouble deciding if tomorrow is eclectic or way, way overground. Either way, they're two songs with undeniable sample input. 

Yeah, I'm delving into classic samples and songs whereas the others have been eclectic choices. I'll get back to eclecticism in a bit. I love the hidden gems behind the samples. These past two were really overground. I'm having trouble deciding if tomorrow is eclectic or way, way overground. Either way, they're two songs with undeniable sample input. 
what was the song tied to Alice Deejay?

what was the song tied to Alice Deejay?
Eurythmics and "Here Comes The Rain Again" from 1983. I think they either sped up the beat and chord progression of the notes, but Alice at least sampled the vocal hook. "Talk to me..." in a repetitive fashion. It was probably my least influential sample of the bunch, and I did her song for '98 because to me it's held up a little better than my other '98 pick and sample, which were probably both a little doozi-er and cooler. I may take a mulligan at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still overthinking 1981 so I'll show some much needed love for the 2010s

16.ee - Hypersonic Missiles - Sam Fender (2019)

17.ee -
Runaways - The Killers (2012)

Brandon Flowers was born the year between The River and Nebraska and Sam Fender was born thirteen years after that.  They both somehow found the Springsteen tree and tapped into it for these songs. 

Both songs have a big mid-80s Boss on the Jumbotron sound.  Hypersonic Missiles has a saxophone solo with a low E string guitar part that's ripped off from Born to Run.  Runaways opens with a piano theme and a lonesome backbeat like dozens of Springsteen songs and it builds and builds from there to its glorious power chord chorus.

Eurythmics and "Here Comes The Rain Again" from 1983. I think they either sped up the beat and chord progression of the notes, but Alice at least sampled the vocal hook. "Talk to me..." in a repetitive fashion. It was probably my least influential sample of the bunch, and I did her song for '98 because to me it's held up a little better than my other '98 pick and sample, which were probably both a little doozi-er and cooler. I may take a mulligan.
thanks. i have been trying to figure that one out since you picked it. that Alice track might be a bit of cheese these days (or not, I dunno) and it was kinda cheese back in the day to the electronic dance snobs, but brings back memories of hitting the club on the weekend. I couldn't connect the dots on that one tho

Eurythmics and "Here Comes The Rain Again" from 1983. I think they either sped up the beat and chord progression of the notes, but Alice at least sampled the vocal hook. "Talk to me..." in a repetitive fashion. It was probably my least influential sample of the bunch, and I did her song for '98 because to me it's held up a little better than my other '98 pick and sample, which were probably both a little doozi-er and cooler. I may take a mulligan at the end.
You realize jukeboxes don't play in any particular order

You realize jukeboxes don't play in any particular order
Yeah, I know. It's not a mix tape. But notice I'm not picking any B-sides. My jukebox has the sampled as the A side, the sampler as the B side. Therefore A1 and A2 will contain your goodness in the pairing. 

I would not be surprised if Mark Ronson latched on to it and didn't tell her where it was from. 😆
I re-listened to Version during the DI album draft.  Valerie is great and there are some other decent covers in the front half but man, there are some stinkers towards the end.  The Jam cover sounds like two records playing at the same time and Robbie Williams' Charlatans cover is pure dreck.

Don't forget, jukeboxes are very adjustable. You'll notice I've pretty much kept the original six minute rule intact, though that might fail at some point due to yearly constraints. 

Dang, I want to talk about great cover versions of this song, but they'll remain in light, or [redacted]. But there was a killer punk one done of this with some twee female backing vocals in the chorus. Also, this was a favorite of mine growing up on the 8-tracks my parents had. 

Gonna wake you up early 'cause I'm gonna take a ride with you
Going down to the Honda shop I'll tell you what we're gonna do
Put on a ratty t-shirt I'll take you any place you want me to
**googles little honda cover songs**

Yeah, I know. It's not a mix tape. But notice I'm not picking any B-sides. My jukebox has the sampled as the A side, the sampler as the B side. Therefore A1 and A2 will contain your goodness in the pairing. 
We're talking about 1954 technology here.

I'm still overthinking 1981 so I'll show some much needed love for the 2010s

17.ee - Runaways - The Killers (2012)
This is your best "Springsteen" like pick IMO and it reminds me of how much I like The Killers, and how little I actually play them.  Thanks.

BTW, you are right this is a Bruce song.

I enjoy the Woodstock version of With a Little Help... if I forget it's a Beatles song. This is also how I approach Vanilla Fudge material. 

The rest ... yeah. Though I'm still most peeved about what he did to Gary Wright's "Love Is Alive." 

Sorry to drop this many on you, but catching up.  Have a lot of reading to do, but I don't think I took any that have been taken. (And 1981 can be taken twice, yes?)

12.xx Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye (1973)

B-Side:  I Wish It Would Rain  (hell yes)

13.xx Let It Whip - Dazz Band (1982)

14.xx So In Love - Jill Scott (2011)

15.xx Work (Freemasons Remix) - Kelly Rowland (2007)

16.xx Burn Rubber On Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me) - The Gap Band (1981)
Let it Whip was going to be my next pick.

When I was a freshman in college, we'd go to a dance club on Wednesdays for Ladies Night. Women got to come in for free and drink for next to nothing for two hours, and then at the 2 hour mark they'd let the animals (men) in to take advantage of the drunk women. We'd always leave once the cheap drinking was over, and go to the New Deli for Dead Night. Anyway, I always liked dancing to this song during Ladies Night.

Round 17

Let the Music Play - Shannon (1983)
Love this song too. Should have taken this over Electric Avenue when I couldn't get the Eddy Grant version.

I enjoy the Woodstock version of With a Little Help... if I forget it's a Beatles song. This is also how I approach Vanilla Fudge material. 

The rest ... yeah. Though I'm still most peeved about what he did to Gary Wright's "Love Is Alive." 
Billy Preston recorded the original version of You Are So Beautiful.

Cocker's version is much better but Al Green does a great one too.

ETA:  The Preston version is awful

When I was a freshman in college, we'd go to a dance club on Wednesdays for Ladies Night. Women got to come in for free and drink for next to nothing for two hours, and then at the 2 hour mark they'd let the animals (men) in to take advantage of the drunk women. We'd always leave once the cheap drinking was over, and go to the New Deli for Dead Night. Anyway, I always liked dancing to this song during Ladies Night.

Round 17

Let the Music Play - Shannon (1983)
Love this song too. Should have taken this over Electric Avenue when I couldn't get the Eddy Grant version.
This song used to not be on Spotify.  I see it is now.  But it doesn't sound the same? 

BTW, my wife's name is Shannon, so I've always loved this song.

And you know I have a soft spot for Lookout!
Great punk label, really bad with artists' payments. Broke. Now left behind a very worthy catalogue with tons of rights questions. We'll see if anybody even cares in a decade. Todd Congelliere of Recess Records now owns publishing rights to a bunch of the works, as he seems to care about that left coast part of punk history. To me, it all being out of print just means the stuff I like is really hard to find, though it's not tremendously expensive on discogs.

Interesting article https://www.brooklynvegan.com/10-must-have-lookout-records-albums/

And you know I have a soft spot for Lookout!
Great punk label, really bad with artists' payments. Broke. Now left behind a very worthy catalogue with tons of rights questions. We'll see if anybody even cares in a decade. Todd Congelliere of Recess Records now owns publishing rights to a bunch of the works, as he seems to care about that left coast part of punk history. To me, it all being out of print just means the stuff I like is really hard to find, though it's not tremendously expensive on discogs.

Interesting article https://www.brooklynvegan.com/10-must-have-lookout-records-albums/
I hope Gilman Street survives the pandemic.

The MOTOWN Sound

Rd 16: Ain't Too Proud to Beg by The Temptations  (1966)

Rd 17: Leaving Here Today by Eddie Holland (1963)

Don't ever underestimate a great songwriter. Norman Whitfield isn't a household name. He never was and never will be but his songs have played on radios, records, cassettes, cds, mp3s and will play on whatever comes next. Coming from New York as a teen, he would hang out near Hitsville USA trying to convince Mr. Gordy to hire him. His persistence worked and he got the job of quality control. Basically tastemaker- he would listen to a record and determine if it should be released. He wanted more and kept hustling. Smokey Robinson was the songwriter and producer of The Temptations. But when The Temps recording of Whitfield's "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" became a huge hit, Gordy replaced Smokey with Norman. His addition of what he called "psychedelic soul" pushed The Temptations to a new level with longer songs, distorted instruments, more complex production and longer instrumental grooves gave The Temptations their signature sound. Gordy didn't care for it though and ended up running Whitfield out of Motown. It may not have been what Gordy wanted, but Whitfield connected the simple early 60' sound of Motown with the more experimental trends of the late 60's and helped create a distinctive 2nd Motown sound.  

Eddie Holland was the lyricist piece of the Holland-Dozier-Holland team (and for many songs Whitfield put together). But before he was just a songwriter, he was also a promising young Motown singer. It never worked out and his real fortunes came writing songs for others. Even his most popular solo song, "Leaving Here Today" ended up more popular when covered by other artists such as The Who and Motorhead. 

I hope Gilman Street survives the pandemic.
Mmm. That's a toughie, one would assume. I can't claim to know anything concrete about the club from personal experience. I also hope it stays open. You're our San Franciscan connection. Keep us in the loop. 

This is your best "Springsteen" like pick IMO and it reminds me of how much I like The Killers, and how little I actually play them.  Thanks.

BTW, you are right this is a Bruce song.
Runaways has a little taste of Petty's Even the Losers too

I keep losing my internet. This has been going on for 3 weeks. Someone came today, and a maintenance team is supposed to come tomorrow and look at lines around the box outside. That seems to be where the problem lies. 

I see some Rd 17s popping up, so I will assume I owe 3 since Rd 14 was my last I think.  

15.xx:   SURVIVOR - EYE OF THE TIGER (1982)   

Gotta have some more 80s cheese! 

16.xx:    MR. TRAVOLTA AND MS. NEWTON-JOHN - SUMMER NIGHTS (1978)

As much as I don't like musicals, I really like this one and it was hard to pick a song. 

17.xx:  AEROSMITH - I DON'T WANT TO MISS A THING (1998)

Don't you lie to me - we need some 90s cheese in this thing and I know damn well you are singing along if this comes up on the jukebox!! 

Users who are viewing this thread