What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (4 Viewers)

I dunno if you have to tell people you are cool that kind of defeats the porpoise and shows a lack of cool. Like when people have to tell you how smart they are instead of just being smart. being not cool, I'm not really an authority on this tho so maybe not
if he was alive today, he'd be the only African-American to get jacked up for doing blackface. that's kinda cool.......

I never really looked. Is Orbison that bad or is he just 25 years older than the rest of the band?
You mean bad in terms of ugly or bad in terms of not cool?  I think he's very cool, but the others (except Lynne) are just cooler.  But he was always, always ugly.

I'm still having nightmares about that one.

Q: What is schlock? 
A: :shock:
Milan Kundera spent a lot of time on the subject: 

You certainly remember this scene from dozens of films: a boy and a girl are running hand in hand in a beautiful spring (or summer) landscape. Running, running, running and laughing. By laughing the two runners are proclaiming to the whole world, to audiences in all the movie theaters: "We're happy, we're glad to be in the world, we're in agreement with being!" It's a silly scene, a cliche, but it expresses a basic human attitude: serious laughter, laughter "beyond joking."

All churches, all underwear manufacturers, all generals, all political parties, are in agreement about that kind of laughter, and all of them rush to put the image of the two laughing runners on the billboards advertising their religion, their products, their ideology, their nation, their sex, their dishwashing powder.

You mean bad in terms of ugly or bad in terms of not cool?  I think he's very cool, but the others (except Lynne) are just cooler.  But he was always, always ugly.
I can attest to his attractiveness. Saw an "Only The Lonely" clip without his glasses on the other night on a Time-Life commercial. Much less cool with them off, but I can't even fathom how uncool he might have thought his disability was, so anything on my end is callous. But you're right in implication. Coolness <> attractiveness. I just think his voice transcends everything.  The haunting quality of it. 

I meant it however you meant it. Ugly but cool. Great voice though. Dream voice for an ugly guy- especially in 1950.

"We're happy, we're glad to be in the world, we're in agreement with being!" It's a silly scene, a cliche, but it expresses a basic human attitude: serious laughter, laughter "beyond joking."
Nice. My thought: When you find that happiness with someone or as part of a group, you seize it and do almost everything you can to make the moments last just a bit longer.

So long, of course, as you're not bulldozing other's rights. The line drawing is probably for another day.

Breaking news:  watching "End of the Line" video is kind of heartbreaking (no pun intended) when Tom Petty is singing the lines "happy to be alive" as he, George, and the others sing at a guitar that represents Roy.

ETA:  Petty also sings "Maybe somewhere down the road away
You'll think of me, and wonder where I am these days."

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. My thought: When you find that happiness with someone or as part of a group, you seize it and do almost everything you can to make the moments last just a bit longer.

So long, of course, as you're not bulldozing other's rights. The line drawing is probably for another day.
She knew only too well that the song was a beautiful lie. As soon as kitsch is recognized for the lie it is, it moves into the context of non-kitsch, thus losing its authoritarian power and becoming as touching as any other human weakness. For none among us is superman enough to escape kitsch completely. No matter how we scorn it, kitsch is an integral part of the human condition.

She knew only too well that the song was a beautiful lie. As soon as kitsch is recognized for the lie it is, it moves into the context of non-kitsch, thus losing its authoritarian power and becoming as touching as any other human weakness. For none among us is superman enough to escape kitsch completely. No matter how we scorn it, kitsch is an integral part of the human condition.
Kitsch draft?

I got my hair cut for the first time in four months today. I had to go to a new person, because my usual hairdresser quit the beauty parlor.  She actually used to own it, but sold it a long time ago, and just worked there a couple days a week. She decided during the pandemic she was going to work strictly from home now. She lives about 30 minutes away, so I wanted to go to someone closer. A friend of my sister recommended a girl she likes. My sister went to her last week, and I went to her today. I have a few highlights in my hair, and I wanted her to darken  them some.  Turn them into lowlights I guess, and be nearer to my natural color. Well, she did just a few, and she cut my hair. I told her that my left side looked longer than my right side. I also asked her if those lowlights looked a bit dark orange. She said no. I don't know bout that. She did some more trimming on the left side, and told me if I wanted her to brighten up those darkened highlights let her know. I wet my hair at home, and styled it how I usually do (which consist of letting it dry by itself or using a diffuser on it. The new hair dresser didn't have one). I noticed it is still uneven, so I text her to let her know. She is going to fix it tomorrow. She is young (29). I didn't want her to feel bad, so I told her my hair is wavy and can be deceiving sometimes when cutting it. My former hairdresser that I had for years had a habit of leaving the left side too long, so she always had to double check it at the end of the cut. Maybe this girl has the same habit. That dark orange looking tint is kinda weird, but at least it's darker than before. I don't think I want a repeat of it next time.  I showed it to my mom, and she said it looks gold to her when the sun shines on it, and not bad. Gold? Eventually those lightlights to lowlights will be nolights. 
oh simey ...

Breaking news:  watching "End of the Line" video is kind of heartbreaking (no pun intended) when Tom Petty is singing the lines "happy to be alive" as he, George, and the others sing at a guitar that represents Roy.

ETA:  Petty also sings "Maybe somewhere down the road away
You'll think of me, and wonder where I am these days."
I was shocked by his death. He was a big part of my music experience beginning with my cousin in Gainesville turning me on to him in the 70s, to being someone I listened to a lot in high school,  and when my high school friend was killed in a car accident and his mom walked into the hospital to see how he was and a petty song was playing right at that moment and she fell to her knees hearing the news, and two of my roommates from college marrying each other and having the band they hired play one of his songs for their first dance, and it wasn't a slow song. It was the same song that was played in the hospital, so it has good and bad things attached to the song (The Waiting). He was going to take a lot of time off after his last tour to hang out with his extended family. That time was short. 😢

Brian May and Jeff Lynne both have large hair
They could trim it down. I've wondered if Robert Plant is going to shorten his hair at some point. I think he would look good with it shorter, but not too short where you can't see his curls.

I was shocked by his death. He was a big part of my music experience beginning with my cousin in Gainesville turning me on to him in the 70s, to being someone I listened to a lot in high school,  and when my high school friend was killed in a car accident and his mom walked into the hospital to see how he was and a petty song was playing right at that moment and she fell to her knees hearing the news, and two of my roommates from college marrying each other and having the band they hired play one of his songs for their first dance, and it wasn't a slow song. It was the same song that was played in the hospital, so it has good and bad things attached to the song (The Waiting). He was going to take a lot of time off after his last tour to hang out with his extended family. That time was short. 😢
Aw, that's all so sad.  I actually just looked up how he died, because I remembered it was shocking but didn't recall what had happened.

I'm not a huge aficionado of his music, but there was always something compelling about him.   That video was just so sad because they were mourning and honoring the memory of Roy Orbison, and both he and George aren't with us anymore, either.  Those guys always looked like they were enjoying themselves so much.  I don't recall George ever smiling that much when he was in the Beatles.

I don't recall George ever smiling that much when he was in the Beatles.
Probably cause he wished more of his songs would be on their albums, or knowing he had the talent to be McCartney-Lennon-Harrison on songs, but it didn't happen that way.

Users who are viewing this thread