Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter

8 minutes ago, landrys hat said:

If we pick a single with A/B side, do both songs go into playlist or do we have to pick one?

You get both but the B-side doesn't count against your 50.  It's basically an optional bonus pick.

Whoa. Give me a minute. I just realized that I can't really list two songs - one sampled, one sampler for the first one without spotlighting. So I'll just stick with a memorable one sampled in the year 1991. In the future, I'll be able to do diptychs! This is like when the Knicks got Ewing or the Pens got Crosby, isn't it?

Note: Jerry Garcia plays the guitar lick that was sampled in this song.  

Round 1.01

Year: 1967

Artist: Jefferson Airplane

Song: Today

@krista4

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Whoa. Give me a minute. I just realized that I can't really list two songs - one sampled, one sampler for the first one without spotlighting. So I'll just stick with a memorable one sampled in the year 1991. In the future, I'll be able to do diptychs! This is like when the Knicks got Ewing or the Pens got Crosby, isn't it?  

Round 1.01

@krista4

Spurs and duncan

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

I’m actually OK with this. It will help me get a sense of what might and might not get sniped from me.

The caboose is a good place for newcomers. It's where I was for my debut last month and allowed me to follow the ebbs and flows dictated by the vets. This is wildly different than an album draft though. 

Just now, Eephus said:

I guess it's a good thing you're on the turn then.

I'll give anyone a free Cincinnati pizza if they can guess what song "Today" was sampled from in 1991. But then we'd all be spotlighting. So I won't.

But I can definitely tell you that I'm tickled pink to be on the turn. I base my themes around 1 in 35 chances. Nice roll! 

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

I'll give anyone a free Cincinnati pizza if they can guess what song "Today" was sampled from in 1991. But then we'd all be spotlighting. So I won't.

But I can definitely tell you that I'm tickled pink to be on the turn. I base my themes around 1 in 35 chances. Nice roll! 

I figured it out - nice choice. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Yo Mama said:
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I figured it out - nice choice. 

what is a Cincinnati pizza?

25 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Note: Jerry Garcia plays the guitar lick that was sampled in this song.  

Round 1.01

@krista4

Wait, this thing started?  Kinda random.  :lmao:

Give me a minute.  I'm pretty sure where I'm going, but want to double-check.

12 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Maybe it wasn't Cincinnati. What was the one that krista4 hated last draft? Thought it was Cinci. Could have been somewhere in Michigan, though. 

First of all, I would never, ever hate a poor innocent pizza.  What bad has a pizza ever done to me?  The one I had in the last draft was one I loved, which was Detroit-style.  I think that we also got around to mentioning Ohio Valley/WV/PA/OH/that-Pittsburgh-area pizza, which I certainly didn't hate but just question its dedication to being pizza.

• Like 1

1.02 A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum

1967, baby!

I will also pick up its B-side, "Lime Street Blues," which I'm not familiar with but why not have as many songs on the jukebox as possible, for my visitors' entertainment.  I'm not sure I actually know any Procol Harum song other than this one.  I should probably check more out, since I do love this song.

I'm not announcing my theme yet, and I'll be open to guesses from the crowd.  This one is the only song I currently had written down for 1967 (though I'm sure I could come up with others), so I'm taking it on the basis of scarcity.

@Dr. Octopus

Hey, I'm surround by rock, DocOc, and Binky.  It's a nice neighborhood!

Speaking of which, do we draft an island again on this one?

Edited by krista4
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

1978 Shattered - Rolling Stones

B Side: Everything Is Turning To Gold

I'll get my boys out of the way early with a song that's going to fit my "theme" - just not sure I can pull it off for 50 songs.

Bonus version featuing Eddie Vedder and Jean Tripplehorn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLAGhOetAk

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

1978 Shattered - Rolling Stones

B Side: Everything Is Turning To Gold

I'll get my boys out of the way early with a song that's going to fit my "theme" - just not sure I can pull it off for 50 songs.

Bonus version featuing Eddie Vedder and Jean Tripplehorn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLAGhOetAk

no WAY Julie Andrews pronounces a double-t sound so flattly. sha doobie -

45 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Kind of glad to be picking at the bottom of the first - it’ll help me see if my theme choice will work. 

If Eephus doesn't change the six minute rule, I'll do songs about getting high!

32 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Speaking of which, do we draft an island again on this one?

I’m thinking since we drafted islands last time, maybe we draft bars/pubs to put on our islands to house our fancy jukeboxes. I’ll obviously defer to the commish though

• Love 2

Just now, Yo Mama said:

I’m thinking since we drafted islands last time, maybe we draft bars/pubs to put on our islands to house our fancy jukeboxes. I’ll obviously defer to the commish though

Oh, I like this a lot!

12 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

It can be any real or fictional location.  You'll need a space that's 36" wide x 27" deep x 59" tall in order to accommodate a Seeburg 100R.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I wasn't in the draft where the sheet got hacked.  Do I need to lock down editing?

Yeah, it happened to a couple of drafts. I'd lock it down depending on if we have people to maintain it. 

1 hour ago, Buffaloes said:

is anyone making a master spotify playlist by any chance?

I figured people with Spotify would make their list and post a link at the end.   I people aren't on Spotify, I am sure they could get somebody to make and post their jukebox mix.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1