What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (4 Viewers)

I figured people with Spotify would make their list and post a link at the end.   I people aren't on Spotify, I am sure they could get somebody to make and post their jukebox mix.  
:goodposting:   

Last time we had an uber draft mix which would be simple to maintain by periodically syncing with your own jukebox.  With more people using gimmicks this time, it might just be better to listen to individual in progress mixes.

I'll add your playlist URL to the OP when you have 'em

If anybody needs help loading their own jukebox into Spotify, please let me know.

The home for my jukebox will be The Hideout Inn in Chicago, which will be transported piece-by-piece and reconstructed faithfully on my island.  The Hideout is everything you want in a bar:  fantastic owners, economically diverse clientele, location in a weird part of town, dive bar in the front, amazing music venue in the back.  Many of my favorite Chicago memories are from the Hideout, from the Hoot Nights, to the other shows by national acts and by my friends, to the annual Hideout Block Party held outside for a long weekend in September and always featuring an insanely diverse group of acts.

My favorite Hideout Block Party was this one, and despite the bigger names you see there, by far the highlight was Monotix, whose performance is described in this article exactly as I remember it.  In fact it's one of the most amazing sets I've ever seen by anyone, anywhere.

The home for my jukebox will be The Hideout Inn in Chicago, which will be transported piece-by-piece and reconstructed faithfully on my island.  The Hideout is everything you want in a bar:  fantastic owners, economically diverse clientele, location in a weird part of town, dive bar in the front, amazing music venue in the back.  Many of my favorite Chicago memories are from the Hideout, from the Hoot Nights, to the other shows by national acts and by my friends, to the annual Hideout Block Party held outside for a long weekend in September and always featuring an insanely diverse group of acts.

My favorite Hideout Block Party was this one, and despite the bigger names you see there, by far the highlight was Monotix, whose performance is described in this article exactly as I remember it.  In fact it's one of the most amazing sets I've ever seen by anyone, anywhere.
Sounds wonderful.

Love how it's a standalone house set a little back off the street.  Don't see anything like that out here.

Whoa. Give me a minute. I just realized that I can't really list two songs - one sampled, one sampler for the first one without spotlighting. So I'll just stick with a memorable one sampled in the year 1991. In the future, I'll be able to do diptychs! This is like when the Knicks got Ewing or the Pens got Crosby, isn't it?

Note: Jerry Garcia plays the guitar lick that was sampled in this song.  

Round 1.01

Year: 1967

Artist: Jefferson Airplane

Song: Today

@krista4
i'm pretty sure i know what it is.

Link to Draft Sheet

The Basics: 50 round song draft. Snake draft for as long as practical.

Official Metaphor: A Seeburg 100R jukebox to play fifty 45 rpm singles (the little records with the big holes).   It costs ten cents for one play, three songs for a quarter.  All proceeds go to the PSF bail fund.

Draft Scarcity Gimmick:  All songs you draft must come from different years, e.g. you can only have one song from 1971.  Eligible years span the earliest recorded music until today. If a single was released in a different year than its album release, either year may be used.  The same spirit of the rules applies to live versions or tracks included in artist's rarites collections.

Free Plays:  To make things easier for people who don't listen to current music, there will be five Free Plays made available during the draft to enable drafters to pick a second song from a specified year. Free Play details will be revealed later but won't come into play until round #15.

Song Eligibility:  You can pick hits, deep cuts, personal favorites, whatever. You know what makes a great jukebox song.  Due to technological limitations of 7" 45 rpm records, songs cannot exceed six minutes in length. If you must have a song that clocks in slightly longer, it'll probably be allowed.

B-sides:  Where applicable, drafters are entitled to the B-side of the original 45 rpm single release of the song (Extra tracks from 12-inch singles, EPs, etc. are not eligible). This is totally optional and must be declared at the time of the selection.  The B-sides are in addition the drafter's 50 selections.  Discogs is the authoritative source for B-side information. 

Mulligans:  No mulligans permitted until the end of the draft. The only exception is if a drafter takes over somebody else's team during the draft, he or she gets three mulligans immediately.

Reboots:  If you think of a better theme, you can discard your entire draft and start over at any time before the end of round #5.

Themes:  This format is tailor made for themes but they're not required.  You can place your jukebox in your basement and fill it with your favorite songs.  Or you can build a bar around it like an Animal Cross house.  Knock yourself out and have fun with it.
Revised rules

My current working theme:

Location:  soda fountain in the back of Muir's Drugstore in Skyway Plaza, Fairborn, Ohio - equipped with tabletop jukeboxes

Theme:  All One hit wonders

I will primarily stick to this criteria though I already know of one instance that blurs these lines a bit.  

Criteria copied from Wikipedia.  

Music reviewers and journalists sometimes describe a musical artist as a one-hit wonder, based on their professional assessment of chart success, sales figures and fame.

For the purpose of his book The Billboard Book of One-Hit Wonders, music journalist Wayne Jancik defines a one-hit wonder as "an act that has won a position on Billboard's national, pop, Top 40 just once." In his definition of an "act", Jancik distinguishes between a solo performer and any group he or she may have performed in (thus, for example, Roger Daltrey's "Without Your Love" is counted despite Daltrey's numerous hits as frontman for the Who), and a number of musicians appear multiple times, either with multiple bands or as a member of a band and as a solo artist. (Eponymous bands are generally not separated; thus Charlie Daniels is not counted as a one-hit wonder for "Uneasy Rider" and the hits of the Charlie Daniels Band are credited to him.)

Fred Bronson, a journalist and former writer for Billboard magazine, in his book Billboard's Hottest Hot 100 Hits, uses the criterion that an artist is ineligible to be categorized as a "one-hit wonder" if they have a second song listed on the Billboard Hot 100.[4]

In both cases, the Billboard Hot 100 was used as an objective standard for one-hit wonder status, since Billboard magazine published the books.

Disc jockey and music writer Brent Mann points out how some artists have been called a "one-hit wonder" despite having other charting singles; in these cases, one signature song so overshadows the rest of the artist's discography that only that song remains familiar to later audiences. As an example, English-born singer Albert Hammond enjoyed success with "It Never Rains in Southern California" (1972) rising to number 5 in the US, but his follow-up single, "I'm a Train" was dismissed by Mann as "totally forgotten" even though it charted at number 31 in 1974.[2] In another case, Scottish rockers Simple Minds followed their big hit "Don't You (Forget About Me)" (appearing in the opening and closing scenes of the film The Breakfast Club) with "Alive and Kicking" which peaked at number 3 in the US, and "Sanctify Yourself" which peaked at number 14 in the US, yet the band is remembered primarily for the first song.[5]

On the other hand, some artists with long, successful careers have been identified as one-hit wonders by virtue of having reached the Top 40 of the Hot 100 only once. Consequence of Sound editor Matt Melis lists Beck ("Loser") and the Grateful Dead ("Touch of Grey") as "technically" being one-hit wonders despite their large bodies of work.[3] Entertainment Weekly mentions prolific artist Frank Zappa as a one-hit wonder because his only Top 40 hit was "Valley Girl" in 1982.[6]

Chris Molanphy says that an artist can only be seen as a "one hit wonder" if they have never had a second Billboard top 10 hit, if any subsequent top 40 singles were released within six months of their first big hit, and if the artist has not had three or more top 10 or Platinum albums.[7][8]

I guess I am going to sort of poop on Eephus' idea that the jukebox is about feel, not flow.  Mine is born out of a playlist idea that I was about to put together anyway, but I think in the end it's going to be fine as a shuffle b/c most I've encountered still have a mix of music and a battle over songs and genres from the patrons.  

Mine is going to be KP's Gin Jukebox. 

I joke that there is a fairly distinct flow of genres I go through as I proceed through a night of gin and music.  Usually starts off with a mix of my usual stuff, gets a little slower after 2, then starts to ramp up and it's a little angry/metal after 3 and by the time I get to gin 4 or 5 it's Katy and Kesha time!   So, this is the what my draft and jukebox will reflect.  However, I am going the tim route and going all female singers.   A few reasons for that:  1. It will get me out of my comfort zone, especially for the pre-80s picks we need to make.  2.  I think it will make it flow a little more, as it won't be quite as "metal" as I usually get.  3.  I thought my DID draft was really lacking in female artists vs. what I usually listen to.  

Just from a quick scroll of what would be on my short list and the top of Tool, Metallica, Bruce, Jane's, Zeppelin, Frampton, Mad Season, Counting Crows, Bob Dylan, Outlaws, and Layla! are out. I'm sure there's more too.

This is a traveshamockery!
The single version of Layla is 2:43.  Clapton's unplugged cover is 4:46.  

Not that it matters any more.  Silly Supreme Court!

I guess I am going to sort of poop on Eephus' idea that the jukebox is about feel, not flow.  Mine is born out of a playlist idea that I was about to put together anyway, but I think in the end it's going to be fine as a shuffle b/c most I've encountered still have a mix of music and a battle over songs and genres from the patrons.  

I joke that there is a fairly distinct flow of genres I go through as I proceed through a night of gin and music.  Usually starts off with a mix of my usual stuff, gets a little slower after 2, then starts to ramp up and it's a little angry/metal after 3 and by the time I get to gin 4 or 5 it's Katy and Kesha time!   So, this is the what my draft and jukebox will reflect.  However, I am going the tim route and going all female singers.   A few reasons for that:  1. It will get me out of my comfort zone, especially for the pre-80s picks we need to make.  2.  I think it will make it flow a little more, as it won't be quite as "metal" as I usually get.  3.  I thought my DID draft was really lacking in female artists vs. what I usually listen to.  
I have a bottle around here somewhere.  Does old gin go off after five years or so?  :bag:

My current working theme:

Location:  soda fountain in the back of Muir's Drugstore in Skyway Plaza, Fairborn, Ohio - equipped with tabletop jukeboxes

Theme:  All One hit wonders

I will primarily stick to this criteria though I already know of one instance that blurs these lines a bit.  

Criteria copied from Wikipedia.  

Music reviewers and journalists sometimes describe a musical artist as a one-hit wonder, based on their professional assessment of chart success, sales figures and fame.

For the purpose of his book The Billboard Book of One-Hit Wonders, music journalist Wayne Jancik defines a one-hit wonder as "an act that has won a position on Billboard's national, pop, Top 40 just once." In his definition of an "act", Jancik distinguishes between a solo performer and any group he or she may have performed in (thus, for example, Roger Daltrey's "Without Your Love" is counted despite Daltrey's numerous hits as frontman for the Who), and a number of musicians appear multiple times, either with multiple bands or as a member of a band and as a solo artist. (Eponymous bands are generally not separated; thus Charlie Daniels is not counted as a one-hit wonder for "Uneasy Rider" and the hits of the Charlie Daniels Band are credited to him.)

Fred Bronson, a journalist and former writer for Billboard magazine, in his book Billboard's Hottest Hot 100 Hits, uses the criterion that an artist is ineligible to be categorized as a "one-hit wonder" if they have a second song listed on the Billboard Hot 100.[4]

In both cases, the Billboard Hot 100 was used as an objective standard for one-hit wonder status, since Billboard magazine published the books.

Disc jockey and music writer Brent Mann points out how some artists have been called a "one-hit wonder" despite having other charting singles; in these cases, one signature song so overshadows the rest of the artist's discography that only that song remains familiar to later audiences. As an example, English-born singer Albert Hammond enjoyed success with "It Never Rains in Southern California" (1972) rising to number 5 in the US, but his follow-up single, "I'm a Train" was dismissed by Mann as "totally forgotten" even though it charted at number 31 in 1974.[2] In another case, Scottish rockers Simple Minds followed their big hit "Don't You (Forget About Me)" (appearing in the opening and closing scenes of the film The Breakfast Club) with "Alive and Kicking" which peaked at number 3 in the US, and "Sanctify Yourself" which peaked at number 14 in the US, yet the band is remembered primarily for the first song.[5]

On the other hand, some artists with long, successful careers have been identified as one-hit wonders by virtue of having reached the Top 40 of the Hot 100 only once. Consequence of Sound editor Matt Melis lists Beck ("Loser") and the Grateful Dead ("Touch of Grey") as "technically" being one-hit wonders despite their large bodies of work.[3] Entertainment Weekly mentions prolific artist Frank Zappa as a one-hit wonder because his only Top 40 hit was "Valley Girl" in 1982.[6]

Chris Molanphy says that an artist can only be seen as a "one hit wonder" if they have never had a second Billboard top 10 hit, if any subsequent top 40 singles were released within six months of their first big hit, and if the artist has not had three or more top 10 or Platinum albums.[7][8]
Is there a pick in here?

Mine is going to be more of a history lesson than anything but I actually do think save for a few songs, there are a couple very distinct sounds that echo through most Detroit music. And my list is going to be pure Metro Detroit. That means no 96 Tears, Runaway, Plowed or Freshman. I am getting to the heart of what makes the Detroit sound. Or something like that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The single version of Layla is 2:43.  Clapton's unplugged cover is 4:46.  

Not that it matters any more.  Silly Supreme Court!
That's one of the reasons I ditched the rule.  We're at the mercy of Spotify and some songs that would have been eligible as singles only have longer versions available for streaming.

How many gangsters can you kill in 2 minutes and 43 seconds? Not enough IMO. You need at least 3 minutes to get a guy hung up in a meat truck. 
Derek and the Dominoes drummer Jim Gordon is still incarcerated for killing his mother.

Mine is going to be more of a history lesson than anything but I actually do think save for a few songs, there are a couple very distinct sounds that echo through most Detroit music. And my list is going to be pure Metro Detroit. That means no 96 Tears, Runaway, Plowed or Freshman. I am getting to the heart of what makes the Detroit sound. Or something like that. 
Techno has been underrepresented in music drafts here.

The tips to a good gin and tonic:

1. Don't be too cheap with the gin, but I don't think you need to splurge either

2. Do splurge for the tonic water, no cheap crap. Plus get the mini cans and not the big plastic bottle. That bottle will go flat before you finish it. 

3. You have to get some fresh fruit grapefruit and lime in there. 

1. Don't be too cheap with the gin, but I don't think you need to splurge either

2. Do splurge for the tonic water, no cheap crap. Plus get the mini cans and not the big plastic bottle. That bottle will go flat before you finish it. 

KP's tip for a good gin and tonic:

1.  Make Gimlet instead.  

;)  

...and have an unconscious or desperate member of an Empire country to rest your feet upon as you sip

Users who are viewing this thread