What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (4 Viewers)

Jesus, this theme is getting really hard with trying to pick good individual songs with interesting samples AND keep all the years straight.  Why did rock make me pick this theme?  Anyway...

I never noticed this before, but the horn flourish from

24.am

Jungle Boogie

Kool & The Gang

(1973)

is actually slowed down a bit and reverbed for the repeating background in

25.pm

I Got 5 on It

Luniz

(1995)

Buffaloes said:
Decided to take a Backyard Boogie on my walk today. I chose this jukebox because I remember liking most of @Buffaloes picks, plus it’s been a stressful couple weeks and I needed a pick me up - and man did this deliver. 

Earth Wind & Fire kicked things off, with Stevie, Cameo, Al Green, Paperboy, Marvin Gaye, Naughty by Nature, The Gap Band, and Ice Cube/Parliament soon to follow. Let’s just say I’m glad no one was around on the trek I took today - I may have pulled something doing a hybrid strut / power walk for 3 miles. 

A couple I wasn’t familiar with that stood out:

- Magic Mountain - hadn’t heard this before aside from some heavy sampling by De La Soul (and the Fat Albert theme song chorus being a blatant rip off)

- 54-46 Was My Number - at first I thought to myself “I didn’t know Ray Charles did any reggae.”

- Crystal - I’ve listened to a bunch of New Order, but for some reason don’t remember this one. It was really good. 

Of course, it was karma that I finished off with the personal ode to me in Me and Yo[ur] Mama 😍

Great listen!

Don’t be surprised if Yo Mama shows up uninvited to your next backyard boogie. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Binky The Doormat said:
under the category of "later in life problems"

- many of the MTV video ladies I used to dream about "rubbin' on me", now look an awful lot like some of the ladies that come to my mom's house to play dominoes once a month.
[extreme Zack de la Rocha voice]

Some of those who curled your toes

Are the same that play Dominoes!!!!

Long Ball Larry said:
Jesus, this theme is getting really hard with trying to pick good individual songs with interesting samples AND keep all the years straight.  Why did rock make me pick this theme?  Anyway...

I never noticed this before, but the horn flourish from

24.am

Jungle Boogie

Kool & The Gang

(1973)

is actually slowed down a bit and reverbed for the repeating background in

25.pm

I Got 5 on It

Luniz

(1995)
Wow - great double up!!!!

28.ee - Human Touch  b/w Better Days - Bruce Springsteen (1992)

1973 was year zero for the Boss with his first two albums released in January and November of that year.  But I've decided to distribute my five Springsteen picks among the five decades he's been active so I'm skipping over 1973 to cover decade #3.

The nineties were Springsteen's wilderness years with only three studio albums, a live MTV thing and a greatest hits compilation.  1992 marked one of his strangest and least successful career moves with the simultaneous release of two not-so-good albums, Human Touch  and Lucky Town.  The collection of songs was his weakest to date which was made more obvious by stretching it across two records.  I much prefer the quickly recorded Lucky Town to the bloated Human Touch, which at its worst sounds like Huey Lewis outtakes and at its best still sounds confused.

He was still a big enough star for this double A-side single to hit #16 on the Pop charts.  The songs are the opening tracks on the two albums and are among the best from the dual release.  I'm going with the single edits which omits the unnecessary guitar coda on "Human Touch"

With hind sight, not picking this 8 hours ago was rather silly. I had 2 songs written down should this year be a free play, but realized immediately after picking RESPECT that one of them wasn't actually released in 73. Oops. Thankfully, this song's criteria apparently was a miss with everyone else's theme or it just doesn't quite tickle your ears like they do mine.

Round 29 Dobie Gray - Drift Away (1973)

Oh, give me the beat boys, and free my soul
I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

With hind sight, not picking this 8 hours ago was rather silly. I had 2 songs written down should this year be a free play, but realized immediately after picking RESPECT that one of them wasn't actually released in 73. Oops. Thankfully, this song's criteria apparently was a miss with everyone else's theme or it just doesn't quite tickle your ears like they do mine.

Round 29 Dobie Gray - Drift Away (1973)

Oh, give me the beat boys, and free my soul
I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
This was going to be my next pick :(. 2000-now is a waste land to me so need to maximize the years until then. 

Back to the drawing board.

This song was featured on a beer commercial, which helped get it and the band to a larger audience. They have had a few songs since make a dent on indie/alternative radio but this remains the biggest hit. I know JZilla is a fan of these guys as well and could join along with me in this folky brewpub singalong. Another band that I was immediately sure would be featured on the jukebox at some point.

27.18 - Weighty Ghost - Wintersleep (2007)

Lots of directions I could go with this pick, but I’ll head back to the 80s. Yo Mama selects:

29.YM - Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia (1980)

b-side: Police Truck (also works for my theme)

I need to get some more punk on my playlist, and this adds another area of international conflict to my theme. 

This song calls out the atrocities done by Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge, and contrasts that to the culture of western youth.  

You're a star-belly snitch
You suck like a leech
You want everyone to act like you
Kiss ### while you #####
So you can get rich
While your boss gets richer off you

Well, you'll work harder
With a gun in your back
For a bowl of rice a day
Slave for soldiers
Till you starve
Then your head is skewered on a stake

29.xx Obsession, Animotion (1984)

What is the nature of obsession? Renting a Mullholland mansion and gladiatorial armor in order to ask an offdee 4 "Who do you want me to be to make you sleep with me". It will turn your goodness to badness.

This is another album I love and thus decided to maximize the A-side/B-side situation. The A-side needs no explanation, y'all have heard it hundreds of times already. The B-side is one of my favorites for its relentlessness, which the live version that was used for the flip side turns up to 11. 

Round 29: Pearl Jam -- Daughter

Year: 1993

Album: Vs.

B-side: Blood (live) (language NSFW)

This is another album I love and thus decided to maximize the A-side/B-side situation. The A-side needs no explanation, y'all have heard it hundreds of times already. The B-side is one of my favorites for its relentlessness, which the live version that was used for the flip side turns up to 11. 

Round 29: Pearl Jam -- Daughter

Year: 1993

Album: Vs.

B-side: Blood (live) (language NSFW)
Paint Ed big

Turn him into

One of his enemies...

White kids raised on Black music

Rd 26 Be My Lover by Alice Cooper (1971)

He was born in Detroit and I guess it must have rubbed off on him a bit. He moved to Phoenix before he was a teen and he formed in band down there but he eventually recognized that the West Coast music scene wasn't the best fit for him. He moved the band back to Detroit and used Pontiac as their home base for touring the Midwest. It was only a couple of years before he was had hit it big and headed back to L.A. Shock rock is a thing and he's a key figure in it, but it's not my thing. 

Rd 27 Gimme Danger by Iggy Pop and The Stooges (1973) 

The Godfather of Punk grew up in Muskegon, but by time he was in middle school, he found himself in Ann Arbor. As you can imagine, mid-60's Ann Arbor was radical but it was also a wealthy suburban city. Iggy didn't come from money though. When he wanted his first drum set, the only place it would fit in their trailer was the master bedroom. His parents allowed him to use their bedroom for his drum practice. Soon he was drumming for an Ann Arbor band known as The Iguanas while attending U of M. James Newell Osterberg Jr.dropped out the University of Michigan to learn about blues music in Chicago. He returned with a band, "The Stooges" and a new name, "Iggy Pop" (gotten from the name of his old band). Their first concert was a Halloween house party with the MC5 in attendance. Before they had even played one show, there was already hype around the group. 

It was '68 when The Doors played Ann Arbor that Iggy developed the idea for his energetic, physical and antagonistic stage presence. He and The Stooges would hone the music and menace as regular performers at The Grande Ballroom. Iggy said "it was rock school for me – a big sweatbox with one little window. You'd come out of there feeling like you'd really been through something." The Grande Ballroom was the spot for rock music fans in Detroit. From the suburbs came the white kids who's parents had fled the city the decade prior. Poet and activist John Sinclair said of the suburban teens,  "They kind of thought the shopping malls were kind of lame, you know? They wanted to do something more interesting, so they started coming into the city. … Just as their parents feared, it rubbed off."

Rd 28 Ramblin' Gamblin' Man by Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band (1976)

Seger lived a very typical SE Michigan life. He was born at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, raised in Dearborn, his dad worked for Ford Motor Company, they moved to Ann Arbor living a comfortable middle class life. Then his dad left. There's been million kids with that same story around here. The only thing that made Seger special was he just happened to have a knack for music and absorbed influences from Little Richard, James Brown and the 60's pop rock scene. Bob spent a lot of years with a lot of different bands playing Ann Arbor, Detroit, Dearborn High's Homecoming Dance and dances at St. Aquinas. He and good friend Glenn Frey both knew the key to really making it in music was getting on the radio.

Bob would find himself all over the radio. I feel like his radio friendly sound led to a period of backlash against him. There seemed to be this belief among music critics who considered themselves "serious" that Seger's music wasn't. There is also some general bias against the Midwest and bias against lots of the AM music of the 70's, "yacht rock" of the 80's. To all of that, I say suck on it. Seger got on the radio because he made fun music and he made music that was easy to understand, not in the simple sense but in the relatable sense. 

29.ee - When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky-Alternate Take - Bob Dylan (1991)

Dylan recorded this in February 1985 with Roy Bittan and Little Steven in the studio.  It's his most Springsteenish song with a bit of Billy Joel's Miami 2017 thrown in for good measure.  It was finally released on the first Bootleg Series collection in 1991.

This version is far superior to the one that ended up on Empire Burlesque.  The album version was transposed into a minor key and given a disco beat.  It's the only Dylan song you can break dance to.  There's a good song under there somewhere; the alternate take got closer to showing it.  There's a live version with TP and the Heartbreakers that's better still.

Alright, people might hate me for the amount of kids songs in the mix, but let's face it - you can't have a true "songs of movies" draft without throwing out some kids songs and Disney songs.   This is a mix of a song I loved as a kid and what my daughter and I sing on a near nightly basis:

18.xx:  KERMIT?  - RAINBOW CONNECTION (1979)

19.xx:  IDINA MENZEL - LET IT GO (2013)

20.XX:  JENIFER LEWIS - DIG A LITTLE DEEPER (2009)  

just last night she was playing in the bath with her playlist going and I hear "Daddy, your favorite song is on!!"  that was in reference to the one above.  

Also, I gotta do it because I think this song is fun as hell too...

21.xx:  TEGAN AND SARAH/LONELY ISLAND - EVERYTHING IS AWESOME 

Sorry, and back to my usual cheese soundtrack songs.... 

Users who are viewing this thread