What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (5 Viewers)

So I have nine pages to catch up on.  I'll try to read the thread tonight and then make up my picks somehow someway tomorrow.

With hind sight, not picking this 8 hours ago was rather silly. I had 2 songs written down should this year be a free play, but realized immediately after picking RESPECT that one of them wasn't actually released in 73. Oops. Thankfully, this song's criteria apparently was a miss with everyone else's theme or it just doesn't quite tickle your ears like they do mine.

Round 29 Dobie Gray - Drift Away (1973)

Oh, give me the beat boys, and free my soul
I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
Big guilty pleasure for me.  Will sing at top of my lungs every time.

What the heck, I'll make a couple of picks tonight to get back in the groove.

22nd round   The Flying Burrito Brothers - Dark End of the Street (1969 bonus pick)

So all that clamoring I did for a 1969 free roll?  I typed up my pick and then realized it was from 1970.  :bag:   I am perfectly happy to get this one instead, though!

Sneaky Pete Kleinow played pedal steel (of course) on John's album Mind Games and on Ringo's Ringo's Rotogravure.

23rd round  Johnny Cash - Big River (1958)

I was considering another song for my 1950s Cash selection, but not only do I like this one better, but it has this terrific Grand Ole Opry performance I can link.  I will also take the other Sun Studios hit on the b-side, Ballad of a Teenage Queen.

Cash and Paul wrote and recorded the duet "New Moon Over Jamaica" for Cash's album Water from the Wells of Home in 1988.  And though it wouldn't count for purposes of my draft, it's worth noting Cash's excellent cover of "In My Life" as well.

Good lord, the way this is shaping up, I might have to take an Eagles song.  Let's all join hands and hope for 1970 or 1971 to come through as a free play instead.

With hind sight, not picking this 8 hours ago was rather silly. I had 2 songs written down should this year be a free play, but realized immediately after picking RESPECT that one of them wasn't actually released in 73. Oops. Thankfully, this song's criteria apparently was a miss with everyone else's theme or it just doesn't quite tickle your ears like they do mine.

Round 29 Dobie Gray - Drift Away (1973)

Oh, give me the beat boys, and free my soul
I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
I love the easy going vibe of Drift Away, here's my playlist I've been working on for a few months, which is a follow up to a series of cd mixes I've been making over the past 10 years or so...

MPH - Drift Away

Round 30 Avenue B - Iggy Pop
I have seen Iggy Pop wandering around, shirtless, near Avenue B, if it's the Avenue B I'm thinking of. Down by Houston Street in the Village. Do they have one? Anyway, it was against the backdrop of a grey, cool day and it was jarring to see him. I just said "hey, Iggy." He nodded.

That Onion article was right. 

@Ilov80s, in doing your research of Detroit music have you read about the Garwood mansion? If not look it up I think it's something right up your alley. 

Did you also know that Patti and Fred "Sonic" Smith lived on a canal in St Clair Shores(Beach St I think)for a while? I delivered pizzas to them a few times in the 90's before I knew who they were. I found out after mentioning to my boss that they tipped really well and he told me who they were but I never made it back there.

Long Ball Larry said:
Jesus, this theme is getting really hard with trying to pick good individual songs with interesting samples AND keep all the years straight.  Why did rock make me pick this theme?  Anyway...

I never noticed this before, but the horn flourish from

24.am

Jungle Boogie

Kool & The Gang

(1973)

is actually slowed down a bit and reverbed for the repeating background in

25.pm

I Got 5 on It

Luniz

(1995)
not sure that I really want these next songs, but the synergies with the last pair and the free roll are making me think that the universe is telling me something...

26.am

Ecstacy

The Ohio Players

(1973)

The 1973 free play lets me double up, and I do like the general sound of this, happy to have a light 70s funk/R&B groove in there.  And more importantly one of the vocal hooks is used in the beat for 

27.pm

Don't Feel Right

The Roots

(2006)

which also uses that Jungle Boogie horn flourish in the beat as well.  I like the song ok, though really like it in the second half when they transition to the clav section of Jungle Boogie and the song's groove fully takes shape.

Trying to keep my remaining 90s picks from being all rap (and trying to limit my duplicate artists as much as possible), so this song fits in nicely. Yo Mama selects:

30.YM - The Cranberries - Zombie (1994)

Awesome alternate cover version

This song was written in response to an IRA bombing that killed some kids, and became a song used by the band as an anti-war anthem for many other war-torn areas of the time. 

Another mother's breaking
Heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken

It's the same old theme
Since nineteen-sixteen
In your head, in your head, they're still fighting
With their tanks, and their bombs
And their bombs, and their guns
In your head, in your head, they are dying

@Ilov80s, in doing your research of Detroit music have you read about the Garwood mansion? If not look it up I think it's something right up your alley. 

Did you also know that Patti and Fred "Sonic" Smith lived on a canal in St Clair Shores(Beach St I think)for a while? I delivered pizzas to them a few times in the 90's before I knew who they were. I found out after mentioning to my boss that they tipped really well and he told me who they were but I never made it back there.
Cool info, thanks. I didn't know about the Garwood but that is a great find. Also, I know Sonic and Patti lived in Michigan, didn't know the exact house. That's very cool. I will probably mention it later but if we are connecting Detroit rock royalty, the son of Patti and Sonic married Meg White. 

30.xx I Can't Stand the Rain, Ann Peebles (1974)

Now THIS is single groove. That's why most of y'all know it as the base of Missy Elliot's Supa Dupa Fly. Matter of fact, i wish Miss Peebles didnt cave to her producers adding all the trad cheese, because i heard her perform/free-style this against just drum & popcorn synth riff and that's when it's a really compelling soul number.

Trying to keep my remaining 90s picks from being all rap (and trying to limit my duplicate artists as much as possible), so this song fits in nicely. Yo Mama selects:

30.YM - The Cranberries - Zombie (1994)

Awesome alternate cover version

This song was written in response to an IRA bombing that killed some kids, and became a song used by the band as an anti-war anthem for many other war-torn areas of the time. 

Another mother's breaking
Heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken

It's the same old theme
Since nineteen-sixteen
In your head, in your head, they're still fighting
With their tanks, and their bombs
And their bombs, and their guns
In your head, in your head, they are dying
I remember first hearing that song in 6th grade. I can remember the exact time and place. My friend and I were hanging out with two 8th grade girls and they had the CD. We had them play that song over and over for what must have been an hour. 

I have seen Iggy Pop wandering around, shirtless, near Avenue B, if it's the Avenue B I'm thinking of. Down by Houston Street in the Village. Do they have one? Anyway, it was against the backdrop of a grey, cool day and it was jarring to see him. I just said "hey, Iggy." He nodded.

That Onion article was right. 
Yes, the area is also known as Alphabet City because of the Letter of the Alphabet Avenues.

Detroit goes 80s

Rd 29 Cruisin' by Smokey Robinson (1979)

The disco and funk of the 70's mellowed out into a smoother 80's sound. Whether it was heavily produced pop or the "Quiet Storm", even the most traditional Detroit artists found their footing in the Reagan era of MTV and cassettes. Cruisin' was a top 5 hit across all the charts. It's the biggest solo hit of Smokey's career and is still a great song for sex, driving on a summer evening and boating or all 3 together. The song was co-written by "the secret weapon of the Miracles", Marv Taplin. He wrote and played guitar on a number of hits for Smokey and The Miracles and Marvin Gaye. After Smokey left the Miracles, Taplin went with Smokey and worked with him through almost his entire solo career. So maybe he was really Smokey's secret weapon. As for Smokey, it's funny how interconnected so many of these artists were. For a big city, it sure seemed like a small town. Smokey knew Aretha since she was a little kid, they lived just a few houses down growing up. 

His real name is William Robinson so where did Smokey come from?

My Uncle Claude was my favorite uncle, he was also my godfather. He and I were really, really close. He used to take me to see cowboy movies all the time when I was a little boy because I loved cowboy movies. He got a cowboy name for me, which was Smokey Joe. So from the time I was three years old if people asked me what my name was I didn't tell them my name was William, I told them my name was Smokey Joe. That's what everyone called me until I was about 12 and then I dropped the Joe part. I've heard that story about him giving it to me because I'm a light skinned Black man but that's not true.

I love Smokey as a songwriter and singer so I hate to do this, but he recorded one of the worst songs in modern history: Gang BangingThis thing looks and sounds like it was made by a high school principal who thought rap music was the only way to get through to the kids these days. 

Last edited by a moderator:
30. The Weeknd - Blinding Lights

discogs gives a 2019 release date for the single and the link above is from 2019 so I think I'm safe taking it in 2019. Not a big fan of most his music but this is a pretty swell 80s callback.
I will forever associate that song with the peak of COVID lockdown. Lyrics fit too

I look around and Sin City's cold and empty (oh)
No one's around to judge me (oh)
I can't see clearly when you're gone

I said, ooh, I'm blinded by the lights
No, I can't sleep until I feel your touch
I said, ooh, I'm drowning in the night

@Eephus what about songs that span a couple of years as a hit ...usually comes out the later part of the year - and then charts, then stays there well through the following year

take either year?

...or try to lean the more prominent year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to the well with the Roots because I really love the song and find the sample interesting, even if the song is not great...

28.am

I'm Chief Kamanawanalea (We're the Royal Macadamia Nuts)

The Turtles

(1968)

29.pm

Right On

(2010)

The Roots

The Turtles Song is from a concept album, with the band pretending to be a series of different groups, playing in varying styles from psychedelic to R&B instrumental rock to surf music  to bluegrass, competing in a mock Battle of the Bands.   "Kamanawanalea" was a made-up Hawaiian idol ("the god of lust and perversion"), and a rude pun. 

This drum track has been sampled in a million rap songs and this is not the most famous, but it is my favorite.

I don't love all of Joanna Newsom's music, but the way her voice works on this track is unbelievable.

For those who don't know, she is married to Andy Samberg.  Though before that, In 2005, Newsom had a brief relationship with Smog frontman Bill Callahan.

I love Smokey as a songwriter and singer so I hate to do this, but he recorded one of the worst songs in modern history: Gang BangingThis thing looks and sounds like it was made by a high school principal who thought rap music was the only way to get through to the kids these days. 
Makes me want to join the Crips

30.ee - Point Breeze - Marah (2000)

In the 90s there were just some Country and Americana/No Depression acts that traced faint, crooked lines back to Springsteen.  Late in the decade, Marah arrived from down the road in Philadelphia with a swagger and verbosity that was reminiscent of pre-Boss from his Greetings From Asbury Park-era. 

I hadn't listened to Marah much before this draft but I'm now a fan.  Kids In Philly and If You Didn't Laugh, You'd Cry are strong albums that are better than some of the Boss' 21st century output.

Users who are viewing this thread