What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (3 Viewers)

24th Round  The Band - The Weight (live version released on The Last Waltz soundtrack, 1978)

By taking this version, I not only get a year I need covered, but I get The Staples Singers.  :wub:   :wub:  

Levon Helm and Rick Danko were both members of Ringo's First All-Starr Band, with Garth Hudson also making guest appearances.  Ringo also played drums on "I Shall Be Released" in The Last Waltz.  Ringo and noted dickmitten Robbie Robertson also collaborated on this terrific version of this song a year or two ago.

25th Round  Little Village - Don't Go Away Mad (1992)

I had a hard time choosing which song I wanted from this album, but ultimately went with this one so I could get the b-side, Do With Me What You Want To Do.

Little Village was a supergroup of Jim Keltner, John Hiatt, Ry Cooder, and Nick Lowe.  The group put out one album, toured behind it, and then disbanded.  Shame.

Though there might be other connections, I'm coming to this group via Jim Keltner, who collaborated significantly with all the former Beatles except Paul, including four albums with Ringo, four with John, and seven with George.  He has also been a member of several iterations of the Plastic Ono Band and was a member of Ringo's First All-Starr Band.

26th Round  Jimi Hendrix Experience - Burning of the Midnight Lamp (1968 album and US single release)

This is one of my favorites from Jimi, and it also happens to be the b-side to a little known single called All Along the Watchtower, so I'll take that a-side, too.  :)  

I can't seem to find the correct YouTube version of this song on a quick pass, but it is on Spotify, so we're good there.

Beatles connection is that Mitch Mitchell was a member of The Dirty Mac with John Lennon, a group I've already discussed earlier here.

Keeping the feminine vibe going today. Yo Mama selects:

31.YM - Beyonce - Formation (2016)

The song itself isn’t that protesty lyrically on its own. It’s how the song was performed/presented and what it represents that makes it a great fit for my theme. This is an anthem of Black female empowerment and is perfect for my jukebox for 3 main reasons:

1) Her performance of this song at Super Bowl 50, dressed in Black Panther attire and expressing anti-police violence themes drew major backlash and calls for boycotts by the police - which a number of my other songs and performances have also accomplished. 

2) It prompted huge amounts of discussion, including an SNL skit called “The Day Beyonce Turned Black,” where white fans were shocked to find out she was Black after the SB performance. It highlights how this was Beyoncé’s primary overt inclusion of race into her music.

3) Red Lobster was mentioned over 42,000 times in the hour after the song was released, raising the stock price by 33%. This has nothing to do with protests, but it’s awesome and it shows the extent of Beyoncé’s reach and the power of her voice. 

Keeping the feminine vibe going today. Yo Mama selects:

31.YM - Beyonce - Formation (2016)

The song itself isn’t that protesty lyrically on its own. It’s how the song was performed/presented and what it represents that makes it a great fit for my theme. This is an anthem of Black female empowerment and is perfect for my jukebox for 3 main reasons:

1) Her performance of this song at Super Bowl 50, dressed in Black Panther attire and expressing anti-police violence themes drew major backlash and calls for boycotts by the police - which a number of my other songs and performances have also accomplished. 

2) It prompted huge amounts of discussion, including an SNL skit called “The Day Beyonce Turned Black,” where white fans were shocked to find out she was Black after the SB performance. It highlights how this was Beyoncé’s primary overt inclusion of race into her music.

3) Red Lobster was mentioned over 42,000 times in the hour after the song was released, raising the stock price by 33%. This has nothing to do with protests, but it’s awesome and it shows the extent of Beyoncé’s reach and the power of her voice. 

I also heard she's not Black but actually Italian and that this song has secret messages in it directed at other Illuminati global fascists like Patti LeBelle. 

i had a bad day of impatient mental health yesterday and it got me off my plan, plus i had this morning's pick in my head as a '74 and it turns out to be a '73. i throw myself on the mercy of the court - can i re-do my yesterday picks?

In the early '90s, Jenny Toomey and Kristin Thomson had an indie-rock band called Tsunami and an indie label called Simple Machines. They were based in DC but came up to Philly a lot because Thomson moved there at one point. A friend turned me on to them and I saw them headline at the Khyber (the club from my Trail of Dead story) and play gigs opening for PJ Harvey, Jawbox and Velocity Girl. Unfortunately things started to disintegrate around 1996 and they decided to break up the band and fold the label. But they produced a hell of a swansong. Their final album is a scathing takedown of the music industry and the disrespect it gives to women musicians and business owners. And it features many of their best songs and performances, helped by a new drummer who was an improvement over the original one, and cleaner production. I have three strong favorites from this and vacillated for days over which to choose. In the end I just decided to go with the longest one. 

Round 31: Tsunami -- Enter Misguided

Year: 1997

Album: A Brilliant Mistake

Not released as a single. 

I also heard she's not Black but actually Italian and that this song has secret messages in it directed at other Illuminati global fascists like Patti LeBelle. 
Last week's crazy people have been replaced by this week's batch.

i had a bad day of impatient mental health yesterday and it got me off my plan, plus i had this morning's pick in my head as a '74 and it turns out to be a '73. i throw myself on the mercy of the court - can i re-do my yesterday picks?
Mulligans at the end

Just a deluge of picks today
Ahhh, I see. The 4 PM barrier. I even gave it an hour or longer, though I haven't been feeling well and slept late and with head spinning for some reason so didn't comment much. Let's hope my distancing and isolation has worked. 

27th Round   Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse - Body and Soul (2011)

Tony Bennett dueted with Paul on "The Very Thought of You," which was on Bennett's first Duets album in 2006.  This duet with Winehouse was on the follow-up, Duets II, and, appropriately considering my theme, was recorded at Abbey Road Studios.  Bennett was also known for a whole heckuva lot of covers of Beatles songs, each of which was undoubtedly better than anything Joe Cocker ever coughed up.

Tony Bennett dueted with Paul on "The Very Thought of You," which was on Bennett's first Duets album in 2006.  This duet with Winehouse was on the follow-up, Duets II, and, appropriately considering my theme, was recorded at Abbey Road Studios.  Bennett was also known for a whole heckuva lot of covers of Beatles songs, each of which was undoubtedly better than anything Joe Cocker ever coughed up.
Body and Soul is a top echelon song.

I passed the street named after Bennett on a walk this week.

Don't believe I've ever heard this one before
Never even remotely heard of it. Just listened. That's certainly a complaint about the music industry. Philly wasn't even used up at that point.

eta* Song rolled into Mazzy Star because of the algorithm. It didn't fade into it, but...

Last edited by a moderator:

If there's one thing we know about Tony Bennett, it's that he was not yowly. 

Up to the third free play now - let's take advantage!

28th Round  Elton John - Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (1973)

Sorry, Eephus!  If we'd kept the six-minute rule, I would have selected a song that rhymes with "Jenny and the Bets."

Elton John wrote and played piano on a song, "Snookeroo," that he contributed to Ringo's album Goodnight Vienna.  Ringo and Elton also starred together in the concert film Born to Boogie, which was directed by Ringo.  And Elton and Ringo both performed with T. Rex on the first recorded version of the song "Children of the Revolution."

Elton contributed to three songs on George's Cloud Nine album and credits George with helping him kick drugs.  Check out George, Ringo, Elton, and Eric Clapton performing While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Elton was also famously close with John and played on some of the songs on Walls and Bridges, as well as at various appearances with John.  Elton also did a very popular cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" that I frankly don't really enjoy.  John's last public performance was his surprise appearance at Madison Square Garden to accompany Elton on three songs in November 1974.  :cry:  Here's audio of his intro to the show and their performance of "Whatever Gets You Through the Night."  And a number "from an old strange fiance of mine called Paul."  :cry:   :cry:   :cry:  

29th Round  Kanye West - Runaway (2010)

I'm not going to win any awards for creativity for selecting this song, but in a shock to no one, my knowledge of our soon-to-be 46th President's music is pretty shallow.  I think this one is brilliant, adore that stark piano part, and as always am a sucker for a cello.

Kanye has collaborated twice with Paul, the first being Kanye's song "Only One" (feat. Paul McCartney) and the second the Rihanna, Kanye, and Paul song, "FourFiveSeconds."  The latter became Paul's first top-five hit in over 31 years, and their performance of the song at the 2015 Grammys caused a generation of young dumdums publicly to inquire as to who Paul was and laud Kanye and Rihanna for giving the old guy a chance.

Getting there...

30th Round  Bob Dylan - False Prophet (2020)

Thank you to Mr. Dylan for, among other things, giving me a 2020 album from which I could mine songs.  I'll leave the 17-minute one in case Yo Mama wants it.  

Though the most significant collaboration between Dylan and a Beatle was with George in The Traveling Wilburys, of course the relationships go back much further, all the way to when Dylan introduced the Beatles to pot(!) and John went through his phase of trying to sound like Dylan (most notably on "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away").  Over the pre-Wilbury years, Dylan recorded a number of times with George, including co-writing "I'd Have You Anytime" on George's All Things Must Pass and a few demos that eventually made their way onto retrospectives/anthologies.  Dylan played a prominent role in George's Concert for Bangladesh, performing three songs, and George returned the favor by performing at Dylan's 30th anniversary show, including a cover of "Absolutely Sweet Marie" that will show up in my countdown.  Dylan has also covered many George songs over the years.

Ringo also collaborated quite a few times with Dylan, having both been part of The Last Waltz and Concert for Bangladesh.  Ringo contributed percussion to Dylan's song, "Heart of Mine," and Dylan played harmonica and sang on Ringo's version of "Wish I Knew Now (What I Knew Then)," which Ringo sued to prevent the release of, and Dylan testified on Ringo's behalf.

31.03: So Alive - Love And Rockets (1979)

I know little to nothing about these guys.  I read their wiki page and found nothing that seemed interesting or worthy of inclusion in my post.  

And this was the best one-hit wonder I could find for 1979.  
Guys from Bauhaus. 

Mrs Eephus and her middle aged Goth chick friends saw David J a couple weeks before shutdown.  I would have gone if I'd known there weren't going to be any more shows.

31.ee - Sea of Heartbreak - Rosanne Cash (2009)

This is a cover of Don Gibson's 1961 Country hit with lyrics by Hal David who went on to write some of the greatest songs of the decade with Burt Bacharach.  Cash recorded it for her superb album The List.

The Boss contributes vocals on the verse and bridge.  He sings his harmonies in a high voice that's pretty close in pitch to Rosanne's.  Springsteen has done a fair share of guest vocals over the year but most of them were with other male singers.  This is a lovely exception.

31.03: So Alive - Love And Rockets (1979)

I know little to nothing about these guys.  I read their wiki page and found nothing that seemed interesting or worthy of inclusion in my post.  

And this was the best one-hit wonder I could find for 1979.  
I was going to use their No New Tale to Tell for 87 until I saw So Alive was a hit too. You know it's 89 not 79 right?
well #### ...I looked them up and all I saw was this

it didn't show the "No New Tale to Tell" - but it's clearly a hit - peaking at #18

"neck-licker" tune taken down - replacement to come.

Users who are viewing this thread