What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (1 Viewer)

Binky The Doormat said:
well #### ...I looked them up and all I saw was this

it didn't show the "No New Tale to Tell" - but it's clearly a hit - peaking at #18

"neck-licker" tune taken down - replacement to come.
I don’t think your World Party pick was a one hit wonder either. Way Down Now seemed like a bigger hit than Ship of Fools if I remember correctly.

They also had Put the Message in a Box.

Last edited by a moderator:
31st Round  Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - I'm In I'm Out and I'm Gone (2013)

I love this album (Get Up!) most as a whole, rather than as individual songs, so it's difficult to choose just one.  In a photo finish, I chose this one over the title track only because this one is a better gut punch.  

Ringo co-wrote and played drums for two songs on Harper's album Give Till It's Gone, and Harper contributed the song "Walk With You" to Ringo's Lifetime of Peace and Love live album concert benefiting The David Lynch Foundation, and provided backing vocals for Ringo's song, "Peace Dream," on which Paul McCartney played bass.  Ringo and Harper also performed an 11-song set together at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2010 (joined by Joan Osborne). 

Eephus said:
It sold me on the movie
Michele Pfeiffer briefly rented my further enthusiasm. After Hours- Western Division.  Stunning vocal from the ol' man, even tho it feels like it might have been a wikkidpikkit cold-read kinda thing.

Binky The Doormat said:
well #### ...I looked them up and all I saw was this

it didn't show the "No New Tale to Tell" - but it's clearly a hit - peaking at #18

"neck-licker" tune taken down - replacement to come.
I don’t think your World Party pick was a one hit wonder either. Way Down Now seemed like a bigger hit than Ship of Fools if I remember correctly.

I have been using the "Billboard US Hot 100" - and not the other several US Billboard lists - "Billboard US Mainstream", "Billboard US Alternative", "Billboard US Dance", etc.  

The list just gets way too restrictive.  

1)  My process is to pull several one-hit wonder lists and then consolidate them

2)  Strip out clear non-one hit wonders

3)  Pick out some favorites by year

4)  Go to wiki and look for other hits (some have singles hit charts, many do not)

5)  Google the band name along with billboard top 100 appearances

World Party only had one Billboard US Hot 100 single - "Ship Of Fools" at #27.  But they had 3 other songs that charted on the "Billboard US Mainstream 100" - #21 "Way Down Now"; #33 "Message In A Box"; and #38 "Is It Like Today" ...none of those songs show up on the Hot 100 according to the wiki

####in' nerds  :nerd:  

krista4 said:
26th Round  Jimi Hendrix Experience - Burning of the Midnight Lamp (1968 album and US single release)

This is one of my favorites from Jimi, and it also happens to be the b-side to a little known single called All Along the Watchtower, so I'll take that a-side, too.  :)  

I can't seem to find the correct YouTube version of this song on a quick pass, but it is on Spotify, so we're good there.

Beatles connection is that Mitch Mitchell was a member of The Dirty Mac with John Lennon, a group I've already discussed earlier here.
This definitely makes up for the miss on the Dr.! 

I have been using the "Billboard US Hot 100" - and not the other several US Billboard lists - "Billboard US Mainstream", "Billboard US Alternative", "Billboard US Dance", etc.  

1)  My process is to pull several one-hit wonder lists and then consolidate them

4)  Go to wiki and look for other hits (some have singles hit charts, many do not)

World Party only had one Billboard US Hot 100 single - "Ship Of Fools" at #27.  But they had 3 other songs that charted on the "Billboard US Mainstream 100" - #21 "Way Down Now"; #33 "Message In A Box"; and #38 "Is It Like Today" ...none of those songs show up on the Hot 100 according to the wiki

Non-official rules

Non-official rules
I don't know what this means.  

ETA:  Changing my theme to

"Groups That Are Known Primarily For One Song Even Though They May Have Another Minor Hit That Could Possibly Be In Another Country or Sub-Genre"

Tsunami, oh man, that was a cool band.  Totally forgot about them.
I would never have come across them had it not been for my friend being an oaf at a show I wasn't even at. He was at the Khyber one night and Tsunami was on the bill. Before they went on, Jenny was hanging out on the floor and my friend tried to hit on her; he had no idea who she was. She laughed him off. Then a few minutes later, she was onstage and he loved their set. He talked to her again afterwards -- this time all about music -- and bought all the singles they had at their merch table (they hadn't released an LP yet). He played them for me and I got hooked, and went to see them with him next time they came to Philly. 

I accidentally found my mulligan - and it's through no fault of my prior draft pick.

Round 31 Sturgill Simpson - The Promise (2014)

I had no idea that was a cover. I was digging around for a cover from that year cause my first walk through came up snake eyes. When I saw that I reconsidered everything...and decided to throw In Bloom back into the pool. Cause I need a Sturgill in my jukebox, but with 2014 instead of 2016 as the outer edge I can dig deeper into the 60's.

Pip's Invitation said:
In the early '90s, Jenny Toomey and Kristin Thomson had an indie-rock band called Tsunami and an indie label called Simple Machines. They were based in DC but came up to Philly a lot because Thomson moved there at one point. A friend turned me on to them and I saw them headline at the Khyber (the club from my Trail of Dead story) and play gigs opening for PJ Harvey, Jawbox and Velocity Girl. Unfortunately things started to disintegrate around 1996 and they decided to break up the band and fold the label. But they produced a hell of a swansong. Their final album is a scathing takedown of the music industry and the disrespect it gives to women musicians and business owners. And it features many of their best songs and performances, helped by a new drummer who was an improvement over the original one, and cleaner production. I have three strong favorites from this and vacillated for days over which to choose. In the end I just decided to go with the longest one. 

Round 31: Tsunami -- Enter Misguided

Year: 1997

Album: A Brilliant Mistake

Not released as a single. 
You did it again!!!

32nd Round  Dr. John - Revolution (2012)

Still so good even when he was in his 70s.  

Dr. John was a member of Ringo's First All-Starr Band and returned as a guest in the Tenth iteration as well.  In 2014, he contributed a cover of "Let 'Em In" to a Paul tribute album called The Art of McCartney.  

On the non-collaboration side, Dr. John tells a lot of great stories about all the lads.  He was so freaking into the Beatles!  Here's a wonderful article about Dr. John where he talks a little about John Lennon - you can't resist this title:  Eating Raccoon with Dr. John.

Though Dr. John loved and revered all the Beatles, he seemed to have a special fondness for George, as evidenced by his recollections in this elegy upon George's death.  On the other hand, there's also the legend that Eric Clapton went to Dr. John in the early 70s asking for a portion that would help him lure Pattie Boyd away from George.  Allegedly Dr. John gave him a box of woven straw and instructions on how to cast the spell with it.  The spell didn't seem to work, but Clapton won her in the end anyway.

Heading out for the afternoon, so gotta make my pick right at 1pm. Yo Mama selects:

33.YM - Radiohead - Idioteque (2000)

My jukeboxes first dally into the realm of climate change awareness. 

Ice age coming
Ice age coming
Throw it in the fire
Throw it in the fire
Throw it on the

We're not scaremongering
This is really happening
Happening
We're not scaremongering
This is really happening
Happening

32nd Round  Dr. John - Revolution (2012)

Still so good even when he was in his 70s.  

Dr. John was a member of Ringo's First All-Starr Band and returned as a guest in the Tenth iteration as well.  In 2014, he contributed a cover of "Let 'Em In" to a Paul tribute album called The Art of McCartney.  

On the non-collaboration side, Dr. John tells a lot of great stories about all the lads.  He was so freaking into the Beatles!  Here's a wonderful article about Dr. John where he talks a little about John Lennon - you can't resist this title:  Eating Raccoon with Dr. John.

Though Dr. John loved and revered all the Beatles, he seemed to have a special fondness for George, as evidenced by his recollections in this elegy upon George's death.  On the other hand, there's also the legend that Eric Clapton went to Dr. John in the early 70s asking for a portion that would help him lure Pattie Boyd away from George.  Allegedly Dr. John gave him a box of woven straw and instructions on how to cast the spell with it.  The spell didn't seem to work, but Clapton won her in the end anyway.
Raccoon! What a day! 

Opening line from "Eating Raccoon":

Dr. John had wild things on his mind. Specifically squirrel, ...
and, later:

Dr. John was discussing his appreciation for meats not common to butcher shops on an early evening in late September. "I remember that possums was a great thing," ...
This man gets me!

Also, I have 2 videos saved of this song ... the one you posted, and a lyrics vid...as the Dr. has a way with words. 

Detroit goes 80s

Rd 30: Sweet Love by Anita Baker (1986)

Rd 31: Ain't No Need to Worry by The Winans (1987)

Even the Detroit gospel scene fell for the slick 80's sound. If she had been a born a generation earlier, Anita Baker would have been singing gospel music or doing soul music for Motown. Instead, she persevered through a challenging life and rose to be one of the top ballad singers of the Quiet Storm era. Given up to adoption at age 2 and her foster parents died when she was 12. Knowing she had nobody to support her, she began singing in clubs at age 16. She had a short stint in a funk band but they saw no star potential and she was back to Detroit waiting tables. Luckily, she was convinced to give a solo career a shot.  She quickly took off scoring 8 Grammy's and 4 AMA's. She sings on both of the songs taken and won Grammy's for both. The Winan family have 6 Grammy's themselves. Brothers Marvin, Carvin, Michael and Ronald carried on Detroit's gospel legacy but packaged it in the gloss of the 80's. 

Users who are viewing this thread