What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (3 Viewers)

34.ee - Shake It Off - Ryan Adams (2015)

Adams' cover of the Taylor Swift song repurposes the pulsating rim shot/hi hat beat from Springsteen's "I'm on Fire".  This is probably the most imitated Springsteen sound other than the acoustic troubadour from Nebraska.  This version of "Shake It Off" makes me want to hop into in a vintage T-Bird convertible and drive around at night.

This piece from Vox makes the case that Swift is the millennial Springsteen.  It's an interesting argument that the writer bases more on themes and societal impact than the music. I think Swift's song "Red" sounds more than a little Springsteenesque but 2012 is one of my deepest years of this century.

And promptly at 4 EST. (You know I wasn't even lurking. Hah!)

For all the South Side dudes that know me best/I feel that me and Taylor Swift might still have sex
Why? I made that ##### famous

Round 34.xx

Artist: Sister Nancy

Song: Bam Bam

Year: 1982

Round 35.xx

Artist: Kanye West ft. Rihanna (Not featuring Macca)

Song: Famous

Year: 2016

Lots of good songs for me in 1984, but I’m going with another favorite. Yo Mama selects:

35.ym - Time Zone - World Destruction (1984)

Afrika Bambaataa collaborating with Johnny Rotten on this jam - yes please!

Relevant quote #1:

This is a world destruction
Your life ain't nothing
The human race is becoming a disgrace
The rich get richer
The poor are getting poorer
Fascist, chauvinistic government fools

Relevant quote #2:

Putting people in racist categories
Knowledge isn't what it used to be
Military tactics to control a nation
Who wants to be a president or king? Me!
Mother Nature is gonna work against you
Nothing in your power that you can do
Yes, the world is headed for destruction
You and I know it, cause the Bible tells you
If we don't start to look for a better life
The world will be destroyed in a time zone!

Surprisingly, I only have one year left to fill in the 80s, and I even took an extra free play pick in the decade. 

Wondering if Time Zone counts as a one hit wonder
Can't say that either artist was operating in that sort of oeuvre, and I'm pretty sure the Pistols hit the charts in the UK, even though that doesn't seem to matter. Afrika is a legend. So is Lydon/Rotten. Wouldn't that make a great hyphenated name, btw? Lydon-Rotten. Mary Lynn Lydon-Rotten. 

35th Round  Leon Russell - Tight Rope (1972)

b-side, This Masquerade?  Why yes, please.

Lots of Beatles collaborations, since Russell collaborated a lot with...everyone.  John, George, and Ringo all played on Russell's first solo album, Leon Russell.  George and Russell also played together on the partly-George-produced Badfinger album, Straight Up, and for a short time both toured with Delaney & Bonnie and Friends (presumably as part of "Friends").  Russell played a huge part (along with Ringo) in George's Concert for Bangladesh, performing a couple of Stones songs, singing the third verse of George's "Beware of Darkness," and playing bass on Bob Dylan's set.  

35.ee - Never Be Enough Time - Joe Grushecky & The Houserockers (1995)

The Pittsburgh-based Brick Alley Band was one of the blue collar bar bands who got record deals in the late 70s when Springsteen was the next big thing.  Their label rechristened them as The Iron City Houserockers which was shortened to just The Houserockers for their fourth album.  Frontman Joe Grushecky went solo in the mid-80s as Joey G. but by the time this album came out in 1995, the Houserockers had been brought back together with Grushecky given top billing.  None of the names really worked but the band has continued to grind it out to the present day.  Maybe things would have been better if he'd gone with Wally Grushecky but that's another of Rock 'n Roll's mysteries.

One of Springsteen's admirable qualities is that he's always tried to help out buddies by chipping in guest appearances and unreleased songs.  Gary US Bonds and Southside Johnny were the main beneficiaries but the Boss tried to jumpstart the reformed Houserockers by producing and providing backup vocals on this album.  The song is a Grushecky original that builds through repetition and is helped a lot by Springsteen's very Little Stevenesque singing.

One of Springsteen's admirable qualities is that he's always tried to help out buddies by chipping in guest appearances and unreleased songs.  Gary US Bonds and Southside Johnny were the main beneficiaries but the Boss tried to jumpstart the reformed Houserockers by producing and providing backup vocals on this album.  The song is a Grushecky original that builds through repetition and is helped a lot by Springsteen's very Little Stevenesque singing.
He’s still helping out guys like Grushecky and even Southside Johnny as part of the crowd is just there to see if Bruce shows up (well when shows were such a thing) - and many times he did.

34.03: Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve (1997)

WILD CARD!!!!  I have gone through 33 consecutive year picks ...no more.  The 90s are such a #### show, I have now shed these burdensome, and overly restrictive, self-inflicted rules and give myself permission to roam free and unencumbered throughout the remaining years of this song journey.  

enjoy this soaring one-hit wonder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread