Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

Was it wikkid?  :lmao:  I doubt it, but I know he doesn't hold back on opinions of judges (and mostly I agree).  Or was it one of the drafters who's taking it waaayyyyaayayyy too seriously?  There are a few.  :) 

:lmao:

No, it wasn't wikkid. I don't think I felt his wrath in that one, though I can never be sure.

It was @Ilov80s's drafting partner, I think. We kissed and made up, though.

One judge quit because he didn't like the way another judge was ranking a category  :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

How do you count it?

Like an optional bonus.  It doesn't count against your fifty.

There are a lot of not-so-great B-sides that and aren't worth messing up the shuffle for.

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Uruk-Hai said:

:lmao:

No, it wasn't wikkid. I don't think I felt his wrath in that one, though I can never be sure.

It was @Ilov80s's drafting partner, I think. We kissed and made up, though.

One judge quit because he didn't like the way another judge was ranking a category  :lmao:

Everyone gets a participation trophy in this draft

Except for UH

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Just now, krista4 said:

:lmao:  Wait, what?  I missed that one.  That's awesome.

Woz was ranking some baseball players, IIRC, and using some kind of ranking system (don't recall what it was). The other judge quit because he didn't like what Woz was doing. In fact, he may have quit the whole message board because I haven't seen him post in weeks :lol: 

• Laughing 1

13 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Woz was ranking some baseball players, IIRC, and using some kind of ranking system (don't recall what it was). The other judge quit because he didn't like what Woz was doing. In fact, he may have quit the whole message board because I haven't seen him post in weeks :lol: 

Wow, that is serious business.  Though most judging was very well thought out, I did notice a little bit of what I'd call lazy judging in there (I don't recall if Woz was one), but that's extreme.  Yowza.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

Wow, that is serious business.  Though most judging was very well thought out, I did notice a little bit of what I'd call lazy judging in there (I don't recall if Woz was one), but that's extreme.  Yowza.

Mine probably looked the laziest because I didn't have long writeups. I did put a lot of thought into my rankings; just not many words.

Guys like Bobby Layne & Getz (& others) really did their work justice and were very entertaining.

3 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Mine probably looked the laziest because I didn't have long writeups. I did put a lot of thought into my rankings; just not many words.

Guys like Bobby Layne & Getz (& others) really did their work justice and were very entertaining.

Nah, I remember thinking yours was good because it was obvious you had a personal connection to it.  It was only the people who took online rankings and added some "objective criteria" (awards or whatever) that weren't good, as it could have been done by a robot.  wikkid, otb, hagmania until he quit trying, and some others were great in that way, too.

1 minute ago, Eephus said:

We're eating popcorn and watching Bringing Up Baby. 

Now that's a great night.  Just add a Pop Tart with peanut butter (btw have never tried this but now will) and you will have perfection.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Are you listening @timschochet @Pitchfork @rockaction?

Noted, even though I was there today, just in a non-controversial way. I was going to explain just why now, but I'm keeping this politics-free.   

I need to follow my own advice. Any forum that starts off with a "YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE SUSPENDED" thread being pinned at the top, written by an admin, and backed by the owner, is likely a harbinger of things to come. 

So duly noted. Even with good intentions.

8 hours ago, krista4 said:

My theme really sucks compared to a lot of yours, by the way.  I'm sticking with it anyway, but it was more for a goof than for an education like 80s's or a feel like KP's.

Don't give me too much credit.  You hate gin and don't like female singers, so my jukebox and bar are your nightmare.  ;)  

• Laughing 1

16 days vacation starting tomorrow. We were supposed to go to Vancouver, Seattle and Portland for our 10th anniversary. We've hopefully just pushed that to next year. 

Anyway, as a result we weren't really doing anniversary gifts but now that we're a week out, I'm panicking thinking I need to get something. Suggestions?

• Thinking 1

11 hours ago, Eephus said:

Sadly, The Stones' Everything Is Turning to Gold isn't on Spotify

I'm only going to use my "real" picks for my mix anyway. 

My bar is McSorley's Old Ale House in NYC. An amazing place, even if it's filled with Irish :P;):D.

With that said my "theme" will be a NYC-centric jukebox with all songs about or referencing New York City.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, krista4 said:

Was it wikkid?  :lmao:  I doubt it, but I know he doesn't hold back on opinions of judges (and mostly I agree).  

Though some may find this is out of character, i must say i'm incensed by your capricious and unduly hurtful judgements upon the delicate acumen of our sportsdraft judges.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Pitchfork said:

I assume we're not being super fussy on dates for singles, especially where the "single" was released a different year than the album, etc...?

Rules in the op say you can use either date if a single was released a different yr than the album

1 hour ago, Pitchfork said:

Anyway, as a result we weren't really doing anniversary gifts but now that we're a week out, I'm panicking thinking I need to get something. Suggestions?

This year for our anniversary, I gave Mrs. Eephus carte blanche to cut my hair however she wanted.  Unprecedented times indeed.

1 hour ago, Pitchfork said:

16 days vacation starting tomorrow. We were supposed to go to Vancouver, Seattle and Portland for our 10th anniversary. We've hopefully just pushed that to next year. 

Recreate your first date at home, quarantine style?  If it was dinner and a movie, order in from the restaurant (or try to make it yourself) and watch the movie at home (even have popcorn and movie snacks available). If it was at a bar try to make her favorite drink and recreate the experience, or if it’s a local place order some to go drinks and bar food. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

A few years ago, i was reading scripts for a producer friend for a time. Now, i have little or no interest nor investment in the horror genre of movies but one of the projects that came across his desk made me want to take six weeks and see if i could re-write it into a horror comedy that could be made on enough of a shoestring that it barely had to succeed to make a profit. It had a title so good i thought it would make money on that alone (unfortunately, i can't list it here) and an interesting premise but, otherwise, was total garbage. Unfortunately the author, as writers will, thought it was perfection and wouldnt let a line be touched nor even option it if a rewrite was our intent. We let it go, but i been rewriting it a li'lbit in the back of my head ever since.

The Oasis Diner had been bypassed by a new interstate highway for over a decade. The failure of the establishment killed the man who'd run it most his life and both exigencies had ground his wife into a bitter invalid, growling & grumbling in the giant house aback the diner. Operation of the Oasis was down to two indolent & disagreeable sons. Breakfast and lunch trade from a nearby gypsum mine kept the operation barely afloat, but the mother insisted that the Oasis keep the same hours her husband had, leaving the brothers little to do but spend their evenings sniping at each other behind the counter and scheming ahead of each other in their dying mother's will consideration. One night, just when the brothers' animus had already reached a near-homicidal pitch, a pretty young woman walks into their establishment covered with blood. Mayhem ensues.

As for your humble servant, my years-long sentence caring for my my aged parents has dashed my highest writing aspirations into utter infeasibility. In fact, the last few years i've dedicated the first month of the summer to an intentionally light project to clear my palate but, this year, even that episode was disastrous. I've been trying to think of a way to write something that would take no care whatsoever and help me kick out the jams of my own anger and frustration. And the Oasis Diner stepped up to the fore of my addled sensibilities. Thought i'd take a month and try to fire out my own Grand Gignol a la Spec to present to the producer which might inspire him to make another offer on the property. 

I always pick a specific writing soundtrack for each piece (i listened to nothing but marimba music for almost a year on one project cuz i liked how it sounded like acoustic electronica) and intend the fifty songs in the Oasis Diner jukebox (which will have foregone update since the interstate was built, which serves my interest quite well) to serve as the playlist for composition of my nasty li'l project.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Just an FYI - the power is out at my house, has been out since like 9:30 this morning.  Some transformer cables blew out since we're in the midst of a heat wave.  I went to the office to get some work done but once I go home I may not have power this evening.  Our electric company is projecting tomorrow morning for the power to be restored.  If I come up in the meantime, feel free to skip me.

12 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

Just an FYI - the power is out at my house, has been out since like 9:30 this morning.  Some transformer cables blew out since we're in the midst of a heat wave.  I went to the office to get some work done but once I go home I may not have power this evening.  Our electric company is projecting tomorrow morning for the power to be restored.  If I come up in the meantime, feel free to skip me.

That sucks. Stay cool, man. Amazing how much we depend on this stuff. Power grids are the most precious things.