What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty QB Question (1 Viewer)

Hawksnest29

Footballguy
Looking for some QB advice. I’m in a 24 team dynasty league. We are only allowed 1 QB on our roster. My current QB is Tom Brady at $3/2yr. We are currently in our rookie draft heading into the 2nd rd with Tua Tagovailoa & Justin Herbert available. Should I draft one of them if they are available or ride with Brady for 2 more years and search for a QB when that time comes? I can sign rookies for 5 years and they would cost $2. Thanks for your input!

So if i understand your situation in order to sign one of the rookies you must cut Brady, is that correct?  If so, this comes down to whether or not you can compete this year and next year or not.  If you cannot then I would pull the trigger on the one you like best.  If  you are in contention then ride with Brady.

I think its fairly problematic if you can only have one QB on your roster for situations just like this.  You never have a chance to groom anybody to take over.  It leaves the QB position open to too much luck of whether or not you are in a position for a QB when decent rookies are available.  Then you get the guy that stumbled into Mahomes just because he was lucky enough to need a qb when he was available. 

ETA:  what other QB's are available?  That might also change things.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if i understand your situation in order to sign one of the rookies you must cut Brady, is that correct?  If so, this comes down to whether or not you can compete this year and next year or not.  If you cannot then I would pull the trigger on the one you like best.  If  you are in contention then ride with Brady.

I think its fairly problematic if you can only have one QB on your roster for situations just like this.  You never have a chance to groom anybody to take over.  It leaves the QB position open to too much luck of whether or not you are in a position for a QB when decent rookies are available.  Then you get the guy that stumbled into Mahomes just because he was lucky enough to need a qb when he was available. 

ETA:  what other QB's are available?  That might also change things.
Sorry for the QB confusion. We are only allowed to have 1 starting on our roster.  So if Tua and Herbert ride the bench this year I would be able to keep both on the roster while using Brady as my starting QB. If they were to start mid season I would be able to keep both for that season, then drop one next year. Hope that clears things up

Sorry for the QB confusion. We are only allowed to have 1 starting on our roster.  So if Tua and Herbert ride the bench this year I would be able to keep both on the roster while using Brady as my starting QB. If they were to start mid season I would be able to keep both for that season, then drop one next year. Hope that clears things up
Yes.  That makes it easy that you should pickup whichever rookie you like best.  I would pick up Tua. 

ETA:  I re-read your response and it seems like you can pick up both Herbert and Tua and still keep Brady.  If that is true then I would pick up both of them to ride the bench.   Well worth that investment to see which one excels.  

Yes.  That makes it easy that you should pickup whichever rookie you like best.  I would pick up Tua. 

ETA:  I re-read your response and it seems like you can pick up both Herbert and Tua and still keep Brady.  If that is true then I would pick up both of them to ride the bench.   Well worth that investment to see which one excels.  
Always appreciate your advice!

Interesting rule set - what do you guys do for bye weeks if you can't carry a bye week replacement?

And I agree with Gally, if you can snag both, may be worth it, though neither is guaranteed to get the starts this season (though I'd assume, if there is a season, and either the Dolphins or Chargers are out of contention, they'd throw the rookies in to see what they have), which may leave you in the spot of having to decide which one to go with next season with limited info.

acarey50 said:
Interesting rule set - what do you guys do for bye weeks if you can't carry a bye week replacement?

And I agree with Gally, if you can snag both, may be worth it, though neither is guaranteed to get the starts this season (though I'd assume, if there is a season, and either the Dolphins or Chargers are out of contention, they'd throw the rookies in to see what they have), which may leave you in the spot of having to decide which one to go with next season with limited info.
For bye weeks we can pick up a FA QB for that week, then we would have to drop them the following week (there would be a cap penalty for the drop). Tua fell to me at pick #31 so I took him. Herbert was drafted before my pick. If Tua is appointed the starter during season, which I anticipate, I get to keep both Brady & Tua on my roster with no penalty since he wasn’t a starter from day 1. It’s a weird set of QB rules, but makes sense since there are 24 teams.

For bye weeks we can pick up a FA QB for that week, then we would have to drop them the following week (there would be a cap penalty for the drop). Tua fell to me at pick #31 so I took him. Herbert was drafted before my pick. If Tua is appointed the starter during season, which I anticipate, I get to keep both Brady & Tua on my roster with no penalty since he wasn’t a starter from day 1. It’s a weird set of QB rules, but makes sense since there are 24 teams.
Out of curiosity, have you guys considered something like going with 2 12-team leagues, that converge to have a single champion in the playoffs? Do a reseed each season so the groupings of the 12 teams get mixed around each season?

Just thinking out loud here.....what about designating all QB's prior to the season draft as starter or back up?  Then you can draft as many back-ups as you want but only one starter.  That way you can have insurance if need be.

Or designate the last round of the draft as QB only round and everyone gets to take one additional qb for insurance. 

Just some ideas that might make things interesting (or not)...hahahah

Users who are viewing this thread