What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

COVID-19 - schools K-12 (1 Viewer)

The Gator

Footballguy
So as not to derail another thread, I am curious about how school districts around the country are preparing for the fall.

Has your school district announced its fall plans yet?

What are they?  Or, if not, what are the options on the table?

I posted this in another thread but it should go here

My rough plan for opening schools (beyond the societal precautions of masks, closures, etc):

1. Grades 1-6 should be the focus. Get them back in school first. These are the kids that require babysitters/daycare and working parents can't leave at home (or if the parents work from home, they are most likely to be very needy and distract a working parent). They are also the kids who most need in-person instruction and socialization. 

2. Use all the district buildings for the 1-6 graders. If you use the middle school and high school buildings, you can actually create a lot more space. Where I work, our 3 high schools are designed for about 2,000 kids where as our elementary schools are more like 300. Using the middle and high schools allows for more space, more social distancing and smaller classes. To get the extra teachers needed for smaller classes, use the middle school teachers to teach grades 5 and 6. 

3. Middle school and high school will be mostly online with some kind of slow incorporation of in-person learning. Students should have to come in x number of weeks to test and then in-person learning can tailored towards kids who are not scoring well on the tests. 

Has anyone's districts made a call yet for fall?

Our district is looking at 3 options:

1.  All students in class, Monday through Thursday - everyone is remote on Friday, and schools are deep cleaned

2.  Half students are in class Monday and Wednesday, the other half are in Tuesday and Thursday, everyone is remote on Friday

3.  Half students are in class Monday - Thursday of week 1, remote the next week, the half has the opposite rotation - all kids are remote on Fridays.

Masks will be required when kids are in motion, and when they are not 6' apart.

Temperature checks will take place either on bus, or upon arrival to school for non-bus riders.

My rough plan for opening schools (beyond the societal precautions of masks, closures, etc):

1. Grades 1-6 should be the focus. Get them back in school first. These are the kids that require babysitters/daycare and working parents can't leave at home (or if the parents work from home, they are most likely to be very needy and distract a working parent). They are also the kids who most need in-person instruction and socialization. 

2. Use all the district buildings for the 1-6 graders. If you use the middle school and high school buildings, you can actually create a lot more space. Where I work, our 3 high schools are designed for about 2,000 kids where as our elementary schools are more like 300. Using the middle and high schools allows for more space, more social distancing and smaller classes. To get the extra teachers needed for smaller classes, use the middle school teachers to teach grades 5 and 6. 

3. Middle school and high school will be mostly online with some kind of slow incorporation of in-person learning. Students should have to come in x number of weeks to test and then in-person learning can tailored towards kids who are not scoring well on the tests. 
the virus is not a threat to young kids

they also do not carry a high enough viral load to be a risk to teachers 

on with life

Our announcement comes this afternoon.

Early plans were to offer the choice...pick for the whole semester.  You either pick virtual or in person.

Rumor early today is it will be all virtual til Labor day (school starts here August 4th).

Other activities and camps are on hold in Nashville...at least as far as band/drumline is concerned.  

No announcement yet in Montgomery County Maryland -- they sent out a parent survey last week.  We don't start until after Labor Day so there's a little more time to figure everything out.  My guess is they try to do some kind of hybrid approach.

What is being proposed is. K-6 freshman and seniors in class 5 days a week. The other classes 2 days one week 3 days the next those students would be in class 50% of the time.

Here in a county just north of Tampa, FL, parents have to choose between 3 options:  1.  Back to in-person school where SD and masks will be required.  2.  A virtual program with live, video conference teaching, and 3.  homeschooling with weekly check-ins with teachers. 

Has anyone's districts made a call yet for fall?
I posted in both main thread in PSF/FFA but will repeat here.  Ours has

On behalf of the Superintendent, please be advised that Cherokee County School Board Chair Kyla Cromer has called for a School Board meeting to be held at 6 p.m. Thursday, July 9, 2020 to consider approval of the Superintendent’s recommended CCSD Reopening of School Plan.  

The Superintendent’s plan calls for the school year to begin on Aug. 3, 2020 with all campuses open for Traditional In-Person learning for all grades; parents also will have the option to instead enroll their child in CCSD’s Digital Learning program.  Parents who choose to keep their child home to participate in Digital Learning will be required by noon on Friday, July 17, to complete a Digital Learning Commitment Form to commit to the program from Aug. 3-Oct. 9 for elementary students; and from Aug. 3-Dec. 18 for middle and high school students.

I have 1 middle schooler and 2 high schoolers - I basically have to decide by next Friday what I think I need to do for the next 5 months for my kids - balancing their health, well-being and education.  To say I'm frustrated and confused would be an understatement.  Ultimately, I'm happy they are giving people a choice as I expected them to say it was in-person only.

Here in a county just north of Tampa, FL, parents have to choose between 3 options:  1.  Back to in-person school where SD and masks will be required.  2.  A virtual program with live, video conference teaching, and 3.  homeschooling with weekly check-ins with teachers. 
I'm surprised there is no hybrid option, combining virtual with smaller in-person classes.

Plan is for K-8 to go back to school for a 1 week on and 2 week off rotation breaking the classes into 1/3s. The 2 weeks not in school will be virtual learning. 

Busses will contain a maximum of 11 students to social distance. 

High schools will go to 100% virtual learning.

Best part is that high school sports for fall have not been cancelled yet.  Schools are still trying to make that happen. 

So basically a bunch of half thought through ideas. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Plan is for K-8 to go back to school for a 1 week on and 2 week off rotation breaking the classes into 1/3s. The 2 weeks not in school will be virtual learning. 

Best part is that high school sports for fall have not been cancelled yet.  Schools are still trying to make that happen. 

Why do you consider those ideas only half thought through? 

What district are you in? 

From all accounts I have heard from teachers my daughter knows is that the online has been a disaster for the HS kids. Really think they need at least half time in person.

Why do you consider those ideas only half thought through? 
They dont have answers for teacher workload. How can a teacher support 2/3 of the class load virtually while teaching a class full time? 

The teachers/schools struggled with the test run to end the school year. Now they want to grade virtual learning this year as well.

My county already had a bus shortage and now we're going to limit buses to 11 students. I'm sure it's a simple numbers game to get it right, but the schools get numbers games wrong on a good year, I'm worried about this.

How do students virtual learn (for grades) if they dont have the means to? Can day care support virtual learning for students that need to go that route?

And how the heck are they considering sports that require touching and no social distancing? Either it's an issue or it isn't. Dont apply one standard in the classroom and another for after school.

It's amazing to me how there's more questions than answers from these folks.

Simple questions like - what happens is we have an outbreak?  What do I do with my student if another family member tests positive?  What is the threshold for closing schools down again and if we reach it, what will happen?

It's amazing to me how there's more questions than answers from these folks.

Simple questions like - what happens is we have an outbreak?  What do I do with my student if another family member tests positive?  What is the threshold for closing schools down again and if we reach it, what will happen?
Once there is a case of covid in the school, they need to shut the whole thing down for 2 weeks right?

What district are you in? 

From all accounts I have heard from teachers my daughter knows is that the online has been a disaster for the HS kids. Really think they need at least half time in person.
That plan was just my idea for starting the year and does not reflect anything that is actually happening. The online HS last spring was crappy last spring but I think there’s a few reasons:

1. It was the first time and kinks had to be worked out, experience gained by students and teachers. Like anything else, people will get more comfortable with it over time. 

2. The biggest issue was the teens didn’t try very hard because they pretty much knew they would still get credit for all the classes regardless. Why try hard if you can just kept the grades you already had or you can just take a Pass grade? 

3. It was a scary and shocking spring. Many people were just dealing with figuring out what was going on, who had jobs, what are the new routines, etc. I think people have become more acclimated with our current condition.

4. It was the Spring and getting closer and closer to the end of the year reduces student motivation. 

5. There was a lot of unpredictability. First we were off 3 weeks and there wasn’t any mandatory work. Then we phased to no school for the year but there will be graded work but the grades won’t count against you.  The gap and uncertainty about the year likely increased the chances kids lost interest. 

I think in person is far better and many teens need that. However, we do have to balance those needs with public health. There’s some evidence that by high school age, the virus spreads very easily in a school environment. I think easing into the year is a better approach. Ideally we will be all the way back in person by 2nd semester but I think taking a quarter at a time is the smart approach.

I assume, right?  That’s likely a State decision.
It will be and no matter what the state does it will be the wrong answer for a lot of people.

It's a tough spot to be in. I dont think the schools trying to make everyone happy is going to work. 

Current plan for NYC public schools is in school learning a few days a week and remote learning for other days.  Option to elect to do entirely in home.  Six feet distancing to be maintained and all kids and teachers to wear face masks (this includes elementary schools, which is where my kids are currently).

Seems like a good compromise all things considered.  My kids school is just too crowded (wouldn't call it anything unusual for a normal year) to maintain distances the CDC currently recommends.  My kids will be going back on this mixed schedule.  We won't know exact schedule until August and it of course could all change.   

Once there is a case of covid in the school, they need to shut the whole thing down for 2 weeks right?
Yep - they haven't addressed that either.  Also, what happens when a teacher is out - sub comes in for 2 weeks?  This seems to stick with people - 4-6 week recoveries seem to be common.  Do they have enough subs if there's an outbreak with teachers?

It will be and no matter what the state does it will be the wrong answer for a lot of people.

It's a tough spot to be in. I dont think the schools trying to make everyone happy is going to work. 
We've had parents post to the County facebook page that if the school requires masks that they will choose to homeschool their kids.  There's no way to make everyone happy when you have folks with mindsets like that.

Yep, it’s a lose-lose situation.

We've had parents post to the County facebook page that if the school requires masks that they will choose to homeschool their kids.  There's no way to make everyone happy when you have folks with mindsets like that.
I hope a lot of people go the homeschool route. 

I know our private academies nearby are overflowing with applications. They are planning to be full time in the fall. 

I hope a lot of people go the homeschool route. 

I know our private academies nearby are overflowing with applications. They are planning to be full time in the fall. 
There's tremendous pressure for private schools to go in-person. On the other hand, they need to avoid lawsuits by following guidelines. 

Just got a survey from our district.  Was kind of hard to answer as I really don't know how I feel about any option right now.  Whatever their plan is we'll go a long with.  I'm not going the homeschool route unless I have to.  Sort of just preparing to be flexible and go with whatever is decided.   

NYC is doing the stupid 2-3 days in school, 2-3 days remote learning plan. So dumb and accomplishes nothing. Kids and teachers are still exposed and working parents still have to stay home a few days a week. And what about teachers with kids? Or siblings in different schools. Horrible plan. It should be all 5 days in school and the kids/teachers who want to opt for remote learning can do so. This also helps reduce capacity in schools. 

Just got a survey from our district.  Was kind of hard to answer as I really don't know how I feel about any option right now.  Whatever their plan is we'll go a long with.  I'm not going the homeschool route unless I have to.  Sort of just preparing to be flexible and go with whatever is decided.   
We did also. One of the questions was in regards to bussing

Just one more piece of evidence that schools are in a no-win situation here:

Ben Pershing@benpershing

Public opinion is mixed on this: A North Carolina poll found 34% of all voters (and 46% of Republicans) want students returning to school full time, 38% preferring a mix of at-home and classroom instruction and 29% wanting students to stay home.

No matter what schools do - someone will blame them for making the wrong decision.

Just one more piece of evidence that schools are in a no-win situation here:

No matter what schools do - someone will blame them for making the wrong decision.
And they will catch a lot of grief when they have to react to changes in the spread.  Those that go fully open will get hammered if they have to close down.

Not necessarily.  You contact trace to anyone that they have been in contact with, within 6 feet for an extended time.  Tough to do with children, I get it, but if they are following all the rules it shouldn't be very many people if any.

They dont have answers for teacher workload. How can a teacher support 2/3 of the class load virtually while teaching a class full time? 
Yep. I haven't heard this thought out in any of this.  Splitting up time like this automatically doubles the amount of teaching time.  Any of the math teachers chimed in?

The teachers/schools struggled with the test run to end the school year. Now they want to grade virtual learning this year as well.

My county already had a bus shortage and now we're going to limit buses to 11 students. I'm sure it's a simple numbers game to get it right, but the schools get numbers games wrong on a good year, I'm worried about this.

How do students virtual learn (for grades) if they dont have the means to? Can day care support virtual learning for students that need to go that route?

And how the heck are they considering sports that require touching and no social distancing? Either it's an issue or it isn't. Dont apply one standard in the classroom and another for after school.
That is fair...id like to see more in detail about the 2/3 class load.  Im going to bet they break up the teachers into groups.  Those that are handling virtual and those that are handling in person.  They will be teaching the entire group of virtual in coordination with the in person. teachers.  Here that would seem to work well for K-4 (our middle school starts at 5th grade).  5-8 would be a bit different as they do move classes.  But may make a subject be purely virtual...things that can be done easier virtually than in person.

As for having the means...that will obviously differ by district/county.  Ours is providing laptops for everyone through some grant or stimulus.  They already had quite a few out...so they will be provided where needed and are also setting up or being able to distribute hot spots for internet.  That was the stumbling block in the Spring as there are a large amount of Title 1 students in the district that would not have had access.

Sports is a tough one...I think trying to find a way to have seasons especially for sports that would then move on to possible college athletes.  I don't envy the decisions, or the work college recruiters will then have to do if there are no seasons.  This will impact just about every sport for a few years.

Yep. I haven't heard this thought out in any of this.  Splitting up time like this automatically doubles the amount of teaching time.  Any of the math teachers chimed in?
Math is the easiest imo. You just record your lessons and post them which many teachers do similar anyway. Then you post the assignment which is normal protocol before COVID. All kids will be turning in virtually I imagine as we don’t want kids turning in physical paper. Teachers can also available to answer virtual student questions via email or zoom as needed. 

And they will catch a lot of grief when they have to react to changes in the spread.  Those that go fully open will get hammered if they have to close down.
Which is what is happening here.  Few weeks ago they had a plan...then things have been blowing up in TN and the spread in Nashville has been pretty big.

So they are virtual to start the year til Labor Day (that rumor mentioned earlier was true).  They will then continue to assess and give 2 weeks notice before opening up for any in person classes I believe for those who will opt into them for a semester at a time to decide.  But you are either in or out...no hybrid as of this time I believe.  But I wasn't able to watch the whole thing, just getting the bullet points now.

Math is the easiest imo. You just record your lessons and post them which many teachers do similar anyway. Then you post the assignment which is normal protocol before COVID. All kids will be turning in virtually I imagine as we don’t want kids turning in physical paper. Teachers can also available to answer virtual student questions via email or zoom as needed. 
True, I'll do that for trainings at work, the required check the box boring stuff.  But, that's not how teaching should happen.  I assumed even the virtual sessions were going to be interactive.  If we are going to give up on that we don't even need teachers.  Just have Disney animate K-12 and push play.

ETA: I miss understood your "math is the easiest".  I think you meant math teaching.  At first I read it as solving the double teaching as the easiest thing to solve.

True, I'll do that for trainings at work, the required check the box boring stuff.  But, that's not how teaching should happen.  I assumed even the virtual sessions were going to be interactive.  If we are going to give up on that we don't even need teachers.  Just have Disney animate K-12 and push play.
It’s definitely not ideal but the hope is that it’s temporary- for a couple months maybe. I absolutely believe a teacher working with a student in person is the best way to learn. Nothing can replicate that. The real importance of a math teacher isn’t in “delivering the lesson”. They tend not to be that long really and mostly involve a walk through of example problems. The real benefit of a good teacher is being able to recognize student mistakes, understand why the mistakes are happening and provide feedback to correct it. Students need less time actually watching a teacher teach in math and more time practicing with feedback. I don’t see why the kids at home couldn’t still receive that feedback on their work. If they are their virtually live while class is going on, they could buzz in to ask questions or get 1 on 1 help from a teacher. It will just take some getting used to.  

I think science is the toughest of the core classes to do without everyone being there in class. Also the lack of relationships. The key to managing their behavior is developing a good relationship. That’s going to be tough without them being there in person.

It’s definitely not ideal but the hope is that it’s temporary- for a couple months maybe. I absolutely believe a teacher working with a student in person is the best way to learn. Nothing can replicate that. The real importance of a math teacher isn’t in “delivering the lesson”. They tend not to be that long really and mostly involve a walk through of example problems. The real benefit of a good teacher is being able to recognize student mistakes, understand why the mistakes are happening and provide feedback to correct it. Students need less time actually watching a teacher teach in math and more time practicing with feedback. I don’t see why the kids at home couldn’t still receive that feedback on their work. If they are their virtually live while class is going on, they could buzz in to ask questions or get 1 on 1 help from a teacher. It will just take some getting used to.  

I think science is the toughest of the core classes to do without everyone being there in class. Also the lack of relationships. The key to managing their behavior is developing a good relationship. That’s going to be tough without them being there in person.
I miss understood what you said about math being the easiest.  Edited my post.

sure

there is a just above  a 0% chance a student under 20 will die

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov/views/NYS-COVID19-Tracker/NYSDOHCOVID-19Tracker-Fatalities?%3Aembed=yes&%3Atoolbar=no&%3Atabs=n

based on NYS, the worst offender, only 15 kids died out out 4.5 tested

the odds are higher that kids will get hit by lightning
also, only 15 kids in NYC died from it...interesting.  Well then, by all means proceed.  That's practically nothing, right?

Users who are viewing this thread