What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players opting out of the 2020 season - Deadline Aug 6...unless you've got a good reason to opt out later (1 Viewer)

wgoldsph

Footballguy
Trying to keep the current list up to date.  Here's a Link to the NFL's list.

Voluntary opt outs

Baltimore Ravens: KR De'Anthony Thomas, OL Andre Smith 

Buffalo Bills: DT Star Lotulelei 

Dallas Cowboys: CB Maurice Canady, WR Stephen Guidry

Green Bay Packers: WR Devin Funchess 

Houston Texans: DT Eddie Vanderdoes 

Kansas City Chiefs: OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif 

New England Patriots: LB Dont'a Hightower, FB Dan Vitale, RB Brandon Bolden, OL Najee Toran 

Philadelphia Eagles: WR Marquise Goodwin

Seattle Seahawks: OL Chance Warmack 

Tennessee Titans: OL Anthony McKinney

Medical opt outs

Minnesota Vikings: DT Michael Pierce 

New England Patriots: OL Marcus Cannon 

Washington Football Team: DE Caleb Brantley

Unknown reasons opt out

Carolina Panthers: LB Jordan Mack

Chicago Bears: DT Eddie Goldman 

Cleveland Browns: G Drew Forbes, T Drake Dorbeck 

Denver Broncos: DT Kyle Peko 

Detroit Lions: DT John Atkins 

Kansas City Chiefs: RB Damien Williams 

New England Patriots: S Patrick Chung 

New Orleans Saints: TE Jason Vander Laan, TE Cole Wick 

New York Giants: OL Nate Solder

New York Jets: OL Leo Koloamatangi

Last edited by a moderator:
question does become interesting in keeper leagues.  i'm in a league that keeps 4 players, so if you have like McCaffrey who sits out seems like you'd need a rule so you'd be able to keep him for '21.

I'd think players sitting out not counting against roster size for 2020 would be more equitable than simply expanding roster size for the year.

Anyone have an idea how contracts would work if they can the season? If a player is on the last year of his contract this year would he still be a FA next year?

OP, because of the thread title, this thread would be ideal for posters to report news on players that intend to sit out the season -- could you please volunteer to update the OP if/when posters in here give new news on players that make the decision to sit out? TIA

Imagining that player contracts don't usually address this possibility, I think the teams and players (union) will have to hammer out a set of provisions, but there is a pretty strong incentive to do that quickly. 

No one is going to risk practice injuries if there aren't games and no one is making any money off of it. 
That is a good point. Just was not sure if we got to that point if the owners would honor a percentage of salary to continue football activities. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

OP, because of the thread title, this thread would be ideal for posters to report news on players that intend to sit out the season -- could you please volunteer to update the OP if/when posters in here give new news on players that make the decision to sit out? TIA
Sure, can't be as in the ball as someone like Faust but I'll do what I can.

Maybe call this one something like 'Talking about players or teams not playing in 2020' and start another called 'Post players opting out of playing in 2020'? That would release you from having to monitor responses.

I will be lobbying hard to expand roster sizes or add a couple IR spots that will only be used for this purpose. I imagine most owners will agree. 

I've tried to start numerous threads and discussions on the issue and gotten NO response. That's because nobody knows.
I will give the same answer I have given in the other threads. There are no written rules or provisions in the CBA or football operations manual that cover what happens with a draft when the prior season is not played. So the league would need to come up with a solution that the owners would agree on. The league is intent on playing out the season (at least for now), so they haven’t put out any info on cancelling the season and what the ramifications would be. The NHL missed an entire season before and opted for a weighted lottery system for the draft. Who knows if that’s what the NFL would choose. 

Anyone have an idea how contracts would work if they can the season? If a player is on the last year of his contract this year would he still be a FA next year?

I've tried to start numerous threads and discussions on the issue and gotten NO response. That's because nobody knows.
Right no one knows because no policy exists   yet, that's one of the things that NFL and NFLPA have to agree on.

If I'm not mistaken MLB opt out allows you to accrue a season and even get paid in full if you have a pre-existing condition. I'll be stunned if NFL players got full pay if they opt out  even with a pre-existing documented health condition but a lot to work on and we'll see if they make  special allowances or not for those who have pre-existing conditions. But if a season gets accrued, pay , any potential owing back of bonus money already paid are key items we just don't know yet as they've not been agreed to yet. Only thing I feel 100% sure on is that we'll see some opt outs.

Not sure if people saw this tweet yesterday: https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1281624368859283463

I will give the same answer I have given in the other threads. There are no written rules or provisions in the CBA or football operations manual that cover what happens with a draft when the prior season is not played. So the league would need to come up with a solution that the owners would agree on. The league is intent on playing out the season (at least for now), so they haven’t put out any info on cancelling the season and what the ramifications would be. The NHL missed an entire season before and opted for a weighted lottery system for the draft. Who knows if that’s what the NFL would choose. 
Yep. I shouldn't have said no response. I should say they're brief because nobody knows. Thanks, Anarchy. 

Per rotoworld 

Todd Gurley said he's open to sitting out the season if the NFL doesn't come up with a proper COVID-19 safety plan.

“It’s really not structured right,” Gurley said about the NFL’s current restart plan. “There’s not a proper plan in place that I’m comfortable with. I don’t have a wife. I don’t have any kids. You have to look at guys on the other side who have [a] pregnant wife, kids and a wife that they go home to every single day. I just feel like we just need to come up with something a lot better than what they’re giving us. Everything they gave us is pretty last minute. We should have been able to have answers weeks ago, if not months ago. You have to be prepared to not play or be prepared to have a half a season. If they don’t do things right, we won’t have a full season. It’s just how things have been going so far this year. Hopefully everything goes well, but I don’t see [it]. It just doesn’t sit well right now.” The league and NFLPA are working on a plan as we speak, but this is something that should've been done weeks ago, as Gurley said, with training camps scheduled to open this coming week. Gurley is one of the first players we've seen actually talk about the possibility of sitting out.

FWIW:  2 players that may be at risk have decided to play:

- Mark Andrews, type1 diabetes

- James Conner, had a past cancer battle
Mark Andrews has already said he plans to play this year.  He could change his mind of course but he did state this earlier this year.

For Dynasty and any one who has already done some redraft leagues (I have done 26 so far)  these next 10 or so days are going to be nerve racking about which players opt out.  This is something I never really thought about when I started doing redrafts way back in April.  I had thought there maybe no season and I would just get refunded but never thought about what if one of my early drafted players might opt out or possibly an OL who might matter to that RB or QB.

I will be lobbying hard to expand roster sizes or add a couple IR spots that will only be used for this purpose. I imagine most owners will agree. 
This makes sense, even beyond opting out.  Some guys are gonna test positive for the 'rona and have to quarantine.

I may even suggest that if you have a player test positive, you get an immediate IR transaction.

The players I’ve heard considering that are in $150,000 advance category are Russell Wilson and Demarcus Lawrence. Both have pregnant wives which is why they are considering it. 

The only player I’ve heard of with an ailment is Cameron Hayward. I assume he is in the $350,000 advance category. 

We have Todd Gurley saying he’d consider it if guidelines and rules are not finalized. I think that is a way to our pressure on the league and isn’t much to it. 

We also have JJ Watt saying he might not play if he needs a visor and shield for his helmet. I think this is a bit ridiculous. I think you can’t let equipment decide if you sit out or not. Guy could be a hall of farmer some day if his career goes right. 

We also have JJ Watt saying he might not play if he needs a visor and shield for his helmet. I think this is a bit ridiculous. I think you can’t let equipment decide if you sit out or not. Guy could be a hall of farmer some day if his career goes right. 
He can make his decision on whatever he likes

He has had some pretty terrible injuries. Maybe he has tried a visor in the past and feels he wouldn’t be safe from a physical perspective. 

Guy could be a hall of famer if he stays healthy

The only person who knows what’s in JJs best interests is JJ

What is stopping the UDFA who guy who thinks his chances of making the team is not great from just cashing out $150-350K?

Rotoworld -

Chiefs RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif announced Friday night that he is opting out of the 2020 season.  A medical school graduate, LDT has spent the offseasons working in the medical field. Obviously, this offseason has been much different than ones past, as Duvernay-Tardif has been on the frontlines of the COVID pandemic, working in a long-term care facility in Montreal as a doctor. “This is one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make in my life, but I must follow my convictions and do what I believe is right for me personally,” Duvernay-Tardif wrote. “That is why I have decided to take the Opt Out Option negotiated by the league and the NFLPA and officially opt out of the 2020 NFL season. Being at the front line during this offseason has given me a different perspective on this pandemic and the stress it puts on individuals and our healthcare system. I cannot allow myself to potentially transmit the virus to our communities simply to play the sport I love. If I am to take risks, I will do it caring for patients. I want to thank everyone in the Kansas City Chiefs organization for their support and understanding.”

Sorry for poor formatting, my phone doesn't like to work with the forum's system.

What is stopping the UDFA who guy who thinks his chances of making the team is not great from just cashing out $150-350K?
I don't recall specifics and I do see issues with me saying this, but it's more true than false so- they're not in the NFLPA til they make the team. I think it's that they follow organization rules (approved by NFLPA and NFL for everyone) and that's how they manage this disparity.

Very few UDFAs are given guaranteed contracts. 

The largest ever practice squad contract happened last year with a wonderful QB prospect Alex McGough and that got the uncommon guarantee also. 

McGough's deal is going to be(or already is) a huge discussion point as GMs petition the NFL for 20 and 30 man practice squads to be able to sub through this Covid19. There's a fine line between allowing player movement and protecting players your team covets so that they're ready to roll. 

Since many presume UDFAs don't make an NFL team but instead make a practice squad, I think this Q needs to consider PS as well.

He can make his decision on whatever he likes

He has had some pretty terrible injuries. Maybe he has tried a visor in the past and feels he wouldn’t be safe from a physical perspective. 

Guy could be a hall of famer if he stays healthy

The only person who knows what’s in JJs best interests is JJ
Nope. He has to do what we think is right. Those are the rules now. 🙂

As I read it, It is an advance in pay. Meaning you only get it if you can borrow against the pay in 2021. So you have to be under contract in 2021. Most guys on the bubble are only on one year deals. So they are ineligible. So if you are only on one year contract you sit out and you don’t get paid. Most guys on the bubble are going to try to play and hope spots free up due to better players opting out, or covid allowing for more playing time. This is why I think the numbers of actual opt outs will be low.

Actually what I wrote only applies to guys with 1 year contracts. Probably UDFAs from this years draft can borrow against next year if they have multiple year contracts. 

Rotoworld -

Chiefs RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif announced Friday night that he is opting out of the 2020 season.  A medical school graduate, LDT has spent the offseasons working in the medical field. Obviously, this offseason has been much different than ones past, as Duvernay-Tardif has been on the frontlines of the COVID pandemic, working in a long-term care facility in Montreal as a doctor. “This is one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make in my life, but I must follow my convictions and do what I believe is right for me personally,” Duvernay-Tardif wrote. “That is why I have decided to take the Opt Out Option negotiated by the league and the NFLPA and officially opt out of the 2020 NFL season. Being at the front line during this offseason has given me a different perspective on this pandemic and the stress it puts on individuals and our healthcare system. I cannot allow myself to potentially transmit the virus to our communities simply to play the sport I love. If I am to take risks, I will do it caring for patients. I want to thank everyone in the Kansas City Chiefs organization for their support and understanding.”

Sorry for poor formatting, my phone doesn't like to work with the forum's system.
Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen anything before.  Maybe I just haven't been paying attention to sports much lately, and he isn't a household name, but he gets my  respect for sure.  

As I read it, It is an advance in pay. Meaning you only get it if you can borrow against the pay in 2021. So you have to be under contract in 2021. Most guys on the bubble are only on one year deals. So they are ineligible. So if you are only on one year contract you sit out and you don’t get paid. Most guys on the bubble are going to try to play and hope spots free up due to better players opting out, or covid allowing for more playing time. This is why I think the numbers of actual opt outs will be low.

Actually what I wrote only applies to guys with 1 year contracts. Probably UDFAs from this years draft can borrow against next year if they have multiple year contracts. 
Anyone opting out has their contract toll, so by definition they are under contract for 2021.  So the advance would be taken from that.

Any player can retire at any time.  If they return their contract picks up where it left off.  So this opt-out is only slightly different that that scenario.  All it does is (1) advance players a small amount of the contract amount; (2) Give them an accrued season if they get the medical option - who qualifies for that?  The latter is kind of important for a few guys in particular, because now Joe Mixon and Dalvin Cook could opt out, take home $350k, and come back next year with no wear and tear and their full 4 accrued seasons.  That doesn't make them Free Agents since their contract tolled but it does give them a lot more leverage in a holdout scenario because forfeiting the accrued season for 2021 from holding out wouldn't have the devastating impact it currently does for them.  That might get teams to budge on their 2021 numbers.

I don't expect many players will take this at all.  They can just wait, see how things progress, and just retire in August if they don't like it.  They come back in 2021 with the same tolled contract they would have if they opted out.  The accrued season only helps guys with exactly three accrued seasons as of now and probably not enough to offset the loss of revenue they see for the year while they sit out making $150k.

Ravens WR/KR De'Anthony Thomas has opted out.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/8808/deanthony-thomas

Ravens WR/KR De'Anthony Thomas has voluntarily opted-out of the 2020 season.

Thomas split time between the Chiefs and Ravens last season, playing six games in Kansas City before suiting up for eight games in Baltimore. He returned 13 punts and 10 kicks for the Ravens, who re-signed him on a one-year contract back in March. The voluntary opt-out includes a stipend of $150,000.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 27, 2020, 4:04 PM ET

Not specifically about an opt out but couldn't think of a better place to put it l.

Rotoworld:

In a conversation on the Buccaneers' plans for handling the coronavirus, coach Bruce Arians stated "the players, they’re going to all get sick, that’s for sure.”

“It’s just a matter of how sick they get,” Arians continued. "We’ve got to be careful." This season will be unlike any other. Positive cases will be confirmed, and it appears the NFL will attempt to power through them with a multi-week quarantine for impacted players and staff members - and a larger practice squad to pick replacements from. Arians is a three-time cancer survivor and took measures to aid his health even before this offseason, including riding a golf cart during practice and handing play calling responsibilities to Byron Leftwich. Arians, at 67 years old, is at higher risk than other coaches around the league. As is safeties coach Nick Rapone (64) and quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen (64). “It’s the team that adapts and has the most discipline, they’re going to win,” Arians concluded. This level of honesty is appreciated, but also chilling.

Users who are viewing this thread