What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players opting out of the 2020 season - Deadline Aug 6...unless you've got a good reason to opt out later (1 Viewer)

Cowboys CB Maurice Canady is opting out.

Patriots FB Dan Vitale is opting out.

Washington Football Team DL Caleb Brantley is the first reported "high risk" opt out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Washington DL Caleb Brantley is the first reported "high risk" opt-out player for the 2020 season.

Brantley will receive a $350,000 stipend with no offset language and a credited season. Brantley, a former sixth-round pick by the Browns, played in one game last season for Washington and re-signed for the team back in March.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jul 27, 2020, 6:17 PM ET

This makes 6 guys already.  This is happening a lot faster than I expected and a lot more names.  I wonder if the baseball bombshell today has turned some players around.

This is going to be a long 7 or whatever days for dynasty players and people who already drafted many redraft teams.

Of course none of this matters if we have no football but I am hoping that is not the case.

Whoa does every opt out get an accredited season? If so, could see Dalvin/Mixon/Kamara say if there’s no extension, they’re not playing for cheap when they can get paid next offseason.

edit- I see there’s been some discussion on this. Yeah gonna be an interesting week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa does every opt out get an accredited season? If so, could see Dalvin/Mixon/Kamara say if there’s no extension, they’re not playing for cheap when they can get paid next offseason.

edit- I see there’s been some discussion on this. Yeah gonna be an interesting week.
Only high risk players get the accredited season.

NFL would be smart join up with open air stadiums on college campuses. No school. No kids. Freash air. Dorms can be cleaned religiously. Conglomerate in low infection region. Bus travel. Several bus travel for space. Invest in military grad ventilators. 😳🤔😉

Boston Herald's Karen Guregian reports Patriots RT Marcus Cannon is opting out of the 2020 NFL season.

Cannon was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma during his final year at TCU and had been considering opting out in recent days due to COVID-19 concerns. His option is considered “high-risk” and includes a $350,000 stipend (and an accrued season) as a cancer survivor. His contract, which was scheduled to pay $4.7 million this year, will also toll. It's the first dire domino to fall prior to the August 3 deadline as the 32-year-old made 15 starts for New England last season. It's possible the Patriots move Joe Thuney to the right side, or simply trust any of Korey Cunningham, Yodny Cajuste or Justin Herron to fill Cannon's void. Veterans LaAdrian Waddle and Cordy Glenn are also available in free agency. Cannon joins offensive guard Najee Toran and fullback Danny Vitale among those who also took voluntary opt outs with the Patriots.

SOURCE: Karen Guregian on Twitter

Jul 28, 2020, 12:11 AM ET

I think this is the tip of the iceberg. We’re going to see a ton of guys opt out in the coming weeks. The 2020 season is going to be a mess.

Does anyone know what happens with regard to cap space for players that opt out? If teams have no obligation whatsoever for this year, NE would end up with $20+ million in cap space (which if they don’t use they could roll over to next year).

According to Spotrac, NE is up to $25.6 million in cap space. The Pats are having to take a $2.5 million cap charge each for Cannon and Hightower (a total of $6 million for the players opting out). Not sure why that is, but that's how it is getting listed. David Andrews is rumored to be the next player considering opting out.

According to Spotrac, NE is up to $25.6 million in cap space. The Pats are having to take a $2.5 million cap charge each for Cannon and Hightower (a total of $6 million for the players opting out). Not sure why that is, but that's how it is getting listed. David Andrews is rumored to be the next player considering opting out.
I could understand that given the lung clot situation he dealt with. He probably should not play. I was thinking he would be the first one on pats.

Maybe give Newton a raise. 

Chad Forbes (@NFLDraftBites) tweeted something I hadn't considered about an hour ago:

"Say a player set to make $8M (Fully Guaranteed) in 2020 or $500K per Game If season starts and gets shut down, guaranteed money evaporates Smarter for players to push guarantee into 2021, take cash advance More likely a full season is played in 2021 than 2020 #Patriots"

"Real reason #Patriots big losers of this Opt Out System is the guaranteed money on their books for 2020 now gets pushed into 2021. No longer can get out from Hightower & Cannon contracts clean after the 2020 season. Just a Fact, this system throws a big wrench in Patriots Plan."

"Any player with Guaranteed Money for 2020 season but not real prospect of future large contracts should opt out. The Risk of shutdown is too large. Push your guaranteed money into 2021, take the cash advance and opt out. Le’Veon Bell, Nate Solder 2 that come to mind...."

@RapSheet - Sources: #Bears standout DT Eddie Goldman has informed the team he plans to opt out due to health concerns related to COVID-19. Goldman has been a standout in the middle of Chicago’s D since 2015.

Man o man, Pats not looking good. 😩
It would not shock me if NE doesn't use the newly found cap money from some of the opt out players and instead cut them next year . . . meaning they will use the cap saving this year to offset the cap hit next year (and thus avoiding a cap hit from releasing them next year). Cannon and Hightower come to mind. Chung will probably still be asked to play as his cap hit this year was pretty low (his contract will carry over to next year). I am not sure exactly how the math works, but I believe they could still get out from under those contracts next year with minimal cap damage (if they don't spend the saved cap dollars this year).

Ultimately, it's starting to look like the Pats will not be very good this year and may actually end up in a position to draft one of the college phenom QBs (or at least be able to trade up to get one if they so choose).

Does anyone know what happens with regard to cap space for players that opt out? If teams have no obligation whatsoever for this year, NE would end up with $20+ million in cap space (which if they don’t use they could roll over to next year).
Makes you think....

Anyone throwing out theories yet why such a high amount of Patriots are opting out?
It's definitely purposeful from the organization strong arming the guys into opting out. Little stewie just explained how the team benefits. They're tanking for Lawrence and saving a bunch of cap for next year. 

Makes you think....
I since researched and posted about what seems to be happening (as have others). All the players opting out in NE certainly won't help them put a good product on the field this year. They would have been in line to have a ton of cap room next year but 1) the cap is probably going down $23 million, 2) a couple of their big ticket guys that would have come off the books next year are now set to be on the books again, 3) they will probably have to sign some additional players to replace the guys opting out. We'll see how things play out (if they play out) and what the landscape looks like when the dust settles from this year.

Here is an up-to-date (I think?) summary from this thread and this thread only.

Feel free to copy-and-paste and add to post #1, OP!

Opting Out
Chiefs RT Laurent Duvernay-Tardif
Ravens WR/KR De'Anthony Thomas 
Seahawks OG Chance Warmack
Patriots FB Dan Vitale
Cowboys CB Maurice Canady
Washington Football Team DL Caleb Brantley
Patriots G Najee Titan
Patriots RT Marcus Cannon
Patriots LB D'onta Hightower
Patriots RB Branden Bolden.
Ravens Tackle Andre Smith
Broncos NT Kyle Peko
Bears DT Eddie Goldman
Patriots Safety Patrick Chung.
Bills DT Star Lotulelei 
Saints TE Cole Wick

Man o man, Pats not looking good. 😩
It would not shock me if NE doesn't use the newly found cap money from some of the opt out players and then cut them next year . . . meaning they will use the cap saving this year to offset the cap hit next year (and thus avoiding any additional cap hit from releasing them next year). Cannon and Hightower come to mind. Chung will probably still play as his cap hit this year was pretty low (which will carry over to next year).

Users who are viewing this thread