What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players opting out of the 2020 season - Deadline Aug 6...unless you've got a good reason to opt out later (1 Viewer)

Put me down as saying it's to early to know on DW being a Chief in the future. If CEH looks up to it and Darwin looks good I'd be surprised if he's not gone. Should CEH look off and/or Darwin fail then a good shot he returns. 

$2.2M is not a ton but the reduced cap, Chiefs cap situation, vet bargains that can be found, relative cheap pay of RB's as we see with Darwin and Deandre combined costing just about $1.5M are all factors that work against DW returning but if they don't like what they see from their RB group this year they can find the room.

As someone heavily invested in CEH I don't really care one way or the other.

The Chiefs are projected $30M over, unless CEH gets injured or faceplants, DW is gone.
CEH has nothing to do with it.  Coaches value veteran depth and $2.125M is pennies for that.  JD McKissic makes $2.1M this year.  Peyton Barber $1.6.  You think Reid is gonna jump to a Barber level guy to save 1/2 a mil?  If you want to find a guy that might impact the decision it's Darwin Thompson.  If he steps up into DW's role and excels then maybe DW's at risk.

CEH has nothing to do with it.  Coaches value veteran depth and $2.125M is pennies for that.  JD McKissic makes $2.1M this year.  Peyton Barber $1.6.  You think Reid is gonna jump to a Barber level guy to save 1/2 a mil?  If you want to find a guy that might impact the decision it's Darwin Thompson.  If he steps up into DW's role and excels then maybe DW's at risk.
:blackdot:

CEH has everything to do with it if he stays healthy and shows to be the starter. They can’t afford veteran depth at an easily replaceable position. He’ll be 29, out of football for a year and on a team wrecked for cap space between the contracts they handed out to Mahomes, Clark and Jones. They are going to need every penny of cap space they can create.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Buffalo Bills have sent their rookies home following 5 cases since camp opened last Tuesday.  Not all cases are players but the Bills are taking a proactive approach.  

You are insinuating he was disrespecting someone opting out over care for a cancer sick loved one.

He wasn’t. For you to imply this is disgusting. You should delete the have some respect part. Terrible.
First off, he didn't know at that point why DW opted out. Secondly, he said he is a mediocre 28 year old who won't make the team next season.. LOL All over him opting out.

Mediocre RB? 
He has never rushed for even 500 yards in a season. I think mediocre is very fair. He'll be 29 next year...we all know the likelihood of RBs producing in their 30s. 

Everything he pointed out had to do with on the field. 

From my perspective, his comments had nothing to do with the situation and was more questioning if professionally, he could recover from missing a season. 

He has never rushed for even 500 yards in a season. I think mediocre is very fair. He'll be 29 next year...we all know the likelihood of RBs producing in their 30s. 

Everything he pointed out had to do with on the field. 

From my perspective, his comments had nothing to do with the situation and was more questioning if professionally, he could recover from missing a season. 
Mediocre is generous 

He pretty much called him garbage for opting out and that KC was going to cut him.. Learn a player's situation before trashing them.
Ok guy. 

You're reading way too much into my comment. 

PennStater77 said:
Mediocre RB? Like I said, learn a player's situation before trashing their decision.

Family > Football

Prayers to DW Mother.
He is a mediocre RB. Which has nothing to do with his situation. 

I give full respect for making decisions for family reasons - you clearly don't know me if you think I don't think that way. But that doesn't change the fact that missing a year, after the team drafts a back in the first round hurts his chances to make the team next year. (A low salary cap hit probably does help him though.)

PennStater77 said:
Mediocre RB? Like I said, learn a player's situation before trashing their decision.

Family > Football

Prayers to DW Mother.
Yeah dude you're way out of touch on this one and reading something into it that's just not there.  I don't even agree with what the dude said factually, because I think he'll easily get a job.  If anything he'll have to take a pay cut but I don't even expect KCC to go down that road either - he's a veteran bargain at $2.1M and I think they keep him.

His cap number is $2.2M next year.  They will welcome him back with open arms at that number when the cap is slashed by $20M.
Perhaps.

When I posted I wasn't tracking that the contract would essentially be paused. Bringing him back at $2.2M for his last year might make sense. We'll see.

Big one for IDP leagues

Jets LB C.J. Mosley has opted out of the 2020 NFL season, citing family health concerns.

I’d like to thank Damian Williams for the 6-pack of Drakes my buddy bought me on Thursday. 

Burrow went 1.01 to a QB-needy team (SF)

My buddy had the 2nd pick in the rookie draft & really wanted to pick Jonathan Taylor. I talked him into CEH. 

honestly I thought it was a no-brainer before DWill opted out, but regardless of whether we have a season, I will be drinking Drakes tonight, so cheers Damian. Thanks for taking one for the team.   :suds:

I was just thinking "how come there haven't been any coaches opt out"?  We know for certain there are several coaches in the league that have had significant health issues.   

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Opt-out deadline for NFL players is now expected to be moved up to either Tuesday or Wednesday, per league sources, depending on talks this weekend. NFL is pushing to move up the deadline from one week after the new CBA side-letter is signed, and it now is expected even sooner.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Opt-out deadline for NFL players is now expected to be moved up to either Tuesday or Wednesday, per league sources, depending on talks this weekend. NFL is pushing to move up the deadline from one week after the new CBA side-letter is signed, and it now is expected even sooner.
Don't you mean pushed back?  To a later date.

Initially it was to be 1 week after the agreement was signed, which hasn’t happened yet. So moved up is right.

NFL pushes for shorter opt-out window https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/01/nfl-pushes-for-shorter-opt-out-window/
Good info.  Thanks.  I was reading that as it was already supposed to be Monday and they are now saying Tuesday or Wednesday.  I think Rotoworld using the words "pushed back" and saying "from Monday to Tuesday" confused me.  

Well that's shady. They already have to commit before they get a true taste of what it's going to be like.  Sounds like the NFL is willing to lose a few souls in the sake of getting this season in. 

Good info.  Thanks.  I was reading that as it was already supposed to be Monday and they are now saying Tuesday or Wednesday.  I think Rotoworld using the words "pushed back" and saying "from Monday to Tuesday" confused me.  

Well that's shady. They already have to commit before they get a true taste of what it's going to be like.  Sounds like the NFL is willing to lose a few souls in the sake of getting this season in. 
Rotoworld is reporting this news as pushing the date back.  Technically it is pushing the date back from the original date posted of Aug 1st but that was only if they had signed it a week before that which they did not.  It just got signed.  So it is actually pushing the date up from the 1 week from signed date.

Up to date list according to Pro Football Talk

Chiefs offensive lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

Ravens kick returner De’Anthony Thomas.

Seahawks offensive lineman Chance Warmack.

Cowboys cornerback Maurice Canady.

Patriots fullback Danny Vitale.

Washington defenive lineman Caleb Brantley.

Patriots guard Najee Toran.

Patriots offensive lineman Marcus Cannon.

Patriots linebacker Dont’a Hightower.

Patriots running back Brandon Bolden.

Ravens offensive lineman Andre Smith.

Cowboys wide receiver Stephen Guidry.

Texans defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes.

Broncos defensive tackle Kyle Peko.

Bears defensive tackle Eddie Goldman.

Titans offensive lineman Anthony McKinney.

Saints tight end Cole Wick.

Saints tight end Jason Vander Laan.

Patriots safety Patrick Chung.

Bills defensive tackle Star Lotulelei.

Vikings defensive tackle Michael Pierce.

Eagles wide receiver Marquise Goodwin.

Jets offensive lineman Leo Koloamatangi.

Panthers linebacker Jordan Mack.

Packers receiver Devin Funchess.

Giants left tackle Nate Solder.

Browns guard Drew Forbes.

Browns tackle Drake Dorbeck.

Lions defensive tackle John Atkins.

Chiefs running back Damien Williams.

Bengals defensive tackle Josh Tupou.

Bengals offensive tackle Isaiah Prince.

Jaguars defensive tackle Al Woods.

Rams tackle Chandler Brewer.

Patriots receiver Marqise Lee.

Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley.

Jaguars linebacker/defensive end Lerentee McCray.

Bills cornerback E.J. Gaines.

I was just thinking "how come there haven't been any coaches opt out"?  We know for certain there are several coaches in the league that have had significant health issues.   
It’s possible that some have. There is technically no opt-out rule for coaches or other staff so we may not have heard about it yet. I think if it was a head coach, we definitely would’ve heard but maybe not other coaches? Just a thought. 

I heard on the radio yesterday, I believe it was on the Sirius/XM Fantasy Channel, that information had leaked out that Major League Baseball had contacted it's TV partners and advised them to have alternate programming ready to implement in the MLB time slots as of this coming week.

Users who are viewing this thread