What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick-a-Player: Barkley, Elliott, or Kamara (1 Viewer)

Given the scenario below, who would you select?

• Saquon Barkley

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Ezekiel Elliott

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Alvin Kamara

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • None of these three

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Clayton Gray

Just call me Carlton
Staff member
It is time to crank up the Pick-a-Player series for 2020. Every couple of days, we'll give you a situation and ask you to pick one of three players.

A few days later, the results will be published on the Footballguys website along with select comments from this thread.

So, let's get to it

It's the 1.02 pick in 12-team, PPR draft, and Christian McCaffrey is off the board. Would you select Saquon Barkley, Ezekiel Elliott, or Alvin Kamara? Or would you pass on all three?

Last edited by a moderator:
Saquon without a doubt. He checks every box. 

1. Proven production: his per game averages for his career are 5 receptions, 120 total yards and 0.8 TDs which translates to 79 receptions, 1900 yards and 13 TDs. This includes a stretch of games where he was playing on a high ankle sprain.
  2. Incredible profile: it's become a running joke but he was a generational RB prospect with incredible draft capital 
  3. Supreme athlete: basically a Madden generated create-a-player, there's no other RB in the league with his combo of size, speed and explosiveness 
  4. Apex of his career: He is 23 years old. Ages 23-25 are the peak years for RB production.
  5. Low injury risk: Every RB comes with injury risk but Saquon has been very healthy over his time at NY and PSU. He also showed an Adrian Peterson like ability to recover quickly and play through pain. His high ankle sprain was expected to keep him out 7 weeks and he was back after only missing 3 games. 
  6. Offensive upside: Daniel Jones showed that he's far from the disaster draftniks expected. He seems capable in year 2 of running a very functional offense. The Giants spent a top 10 pick on an OT to improve the line. Teams can't overly commit to stopping Saquon because Sterling Shepherd, Evan Engram, Golden Tate and Darius Slayton are a nicely balanced collection of weapons that should keep defenses honest.
  7. Stranglehold on the job: Dion Lewis and Wayne Gallman aren't stealing many touches from Barkley. 
What's not to like? The only thing that could improve his stock is if he was playing in Kansas City or San Fran.

Guess I'll pile on. Yeah it's Barkley. I just traded for him in one Dynasty and gave up Zeke so it shows how much I believe in that. I do love Kamara this year too.

I actually took Barkley over CMC at 1.1 in a  high stakes payout draft several months ago, before the actual NFL draft. Not sure it was the right call and would probably go CMC today but my point is I got Barkley closer to 1.1 then to 1.3.

IMO the first tier is CMC and Barkley and then the rest.  I would love to be sitting at 3 in a draft with someone who would choose anyone else in 1-2.

Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:
Guess I'll pile on. Yeah it's Barkley. I just traded for him in one Dynasty and gave up Zeke so it shows how much I believe in that. I do love Kamara this year too.
What did you include for him? I can't imagine an owner taking Ezekiel Elliott straight up over Barkley. 

I'll be the contrarian I guess. 

Barkley's talent is unquestioned. 

The only downside I see to Barkley is his schedule. Weeks 1-3    Steelers,  Bears,  49ers.   I'm sure most of us know we are going to the Superbowl,so Barkley gets Baltimore week 16. 

I'll take Kamara 1.02.     He really looked like he was playing hurt last year. I'm expecting a big bounce back.

Barkley without a second thought, as most have said. This should really be a poll, by the way, with an other option.

I go Barkley, Michael Thomas, Zeke, then Kamara a bit below. And I believe Kamara bounces back. But he's never going to get the carries Zeke or Barkley get. And Thomas is extremely underrated in this question. 

I am taking Barkley because I think he is the most talented running back in the NFL and situations in the NFL are fluid. As bad as the Giants have been I think they could be in a great spot this year. Terrible defense, better offensive line and probably an improving qb. 

I would take Kamara over Zeke. I think Zeke is the better rb, but for this season there are a lot of mouths to feed in Dallas. Plus it is PPR, adding Lamb, Blake Jarwin is an upgrade to a 37 year old Witten and Cobb. I think Zeke's ceiling is about 45 catches. 

Barkley is the easy choice.   Barkley. Zeke, and Kamara all have 20 TD potential......but Barkley has 2000 yd rush potential (which Kamara will never come close to), and 100 catch potential (which Zeke likely won't come close to).  

Barkley is the easy choice for me, but I've got Kamara ahead of Zeke. Zeke got his money and has no incentive to work hard this year.

Plus, my league is PPR and Kamara is :moneybag:

Zeke, Calvin Ridley and Diontae Johnson for Saquon, Keenan Allen and Steven Sims Jr. I'll preface that by saying I'm not as high on Johnson as others.
I gave Zeke and 2 late 21 1sts (teams were 11&12 this past draft) for Saquon and a late 2nd and 3rd be in 21. 

I think you got the better deal, but I think I'm relatively low on the WRs you gave up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
cloppbeast said:
Elliott's got the corona, there's only a 99.9% he survives. Just not worth the risk.

I have to go with Barkley pretty easilly over Kamara.
Flip side: Zeke has antibodies, less likely to get rona'd in season. Stock up.

Barkley is the easy choice for me, but I've got Kamara ahead of Zeke. Zeke got his money and has no incentive to work hard this year.

Plus, my league is PPR and Kamara is :moneybag:
Zeke got his money last year. And still put up his numbers.

I had to think about this more than most of you I guess.

Elliot has been very good.

Lets assume that Barkley didn't miss any games last year. he was on pace for 1773 combined yards and 9.8 TD Elliot had 1777 combined yards and 14 TD

Barkley was on pace for 64 receptions last year compared to 54 from Elliot.

If I average the pro rated numbers for Barkley and his rookie season that would be 1900 combined yards 12.4 TD

Barkley is 2 years younger and it seems likely he will have more receptions than Elliot will (although Ellot does well there also) so more upside than Elliot.

Elliot has been solid his whole career and is in a better offense overall than the Giants. I would say he is a safer choice.

Ultimately I will go with the upside here which is Barkley but I think it is closer than others have indicated it is in the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread