What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

More then a Feeling What makes this song great. (1 Viewer)

I found this video looking for home recording help.  I was going to out this in the guitar thread but thought the isolated Delp vocals night wanna be heard by those who skip over that thread.

Not my favorite Boston song. Mostly do to overplay but this a great video. 

What makes this song great
Delp.

He created a production value with over-layed guitar tracks and that is why it stood out.  His voice plays another huge role but he created something new in the studio.

When I was a pledge in my fraternity, my pledgemates and I had to sing this (and Asia's "Heat of the Moment") to every single sorority.  Only 3 of 11 of us could actually carry a tune.  It was frightening.  

Last edited by a moderator:
envy. hard to believe now, but i was in the Boston local music biz in the 70s and everyone in music mgmt had at least one version of Scholz's original MTaF demo in the bottom of their pile. Limp, acoustic-y, Delpless. amazing what some studio work - even in one whose acoustic lining was garbage bags - can do. 

Delp.

He created a production value with over-layed guitar tracks and that is why it stood out.  His voice plays another huge role but he created something new in the studio.
Watch the video - starting at 2:05, and you'll have a better appreciation for Tom Scholz - a literal genius - who actually engineered this record.

Watch the video - starting at 2:05, and you'll have a better appreciation for Tom Scholz - a literal genius - who actually engineered this record.
Doh, I meant Schulz.  I had a buddy who was from Boston and he went on-and-on about Delp.  He meant Bradley when he was working someplace and he literally jumped over the counter and shook his hand.

Obviously I got em confused.  

I remember my brother bought one of the most expensive stereo systems at the time and had top-notch headphones that picked up everything.  Listening to Boston and ELO was a trans formative experience with that sort of equipment.

But yeah,  it was Shulz not Delp.

The song has great vocals, guitar playing, and a nice melody. The song also reminds me of growing up in the 70s, and what a fun time it was.

About a month ago I was driving down the road and this song came on, and then the song came on again. It was the first time I had noticed a DJ screwing up by playing the same song twice. At least it was a good song to hear back to back.

It's really cool to hear the different parts isolated like that.  That part where Delp harmonizes a high note (she slipped away)  with the guitar, part of me always heard that and just thought wtf his voice turned into a guitar at the end...

It's really cool to hear the different parts isolated like that.  That part where Delp harmonizes a high note (she slipped away)  with the guitar, part of me always heard that and just thought wtf his voice turned into a guitar at the end...
A great voice meeting a great producer/guitarist.  Smooth rock at its best.

I found this video looking for home recording help.  I was going to out this in the guitar thread but thought the isolated Delp vocals night wanna be heard by those who skip over that thread.

Not my favorite Boston song. Mostly do to overplay but this a great video. 

What makes this song great
This guy is so great. I’ve watched a bunch of his videos. But this episode is the cream of the crop. The way he breaks down all the parts is absolutely fascinating. There was so much going on in this song. And, yes, the vocals. 

This guy is so great. I’ve watched a bunch of his videos. But this episode is the cream of the crop. The way he breaks down all the parts is absolutely fascinating. There was so much going on in this song. And, yes, the vocals. 
Not that I won't watch other episodes as I find this fascinating but are you saying he doesn't do this for other songs or is this one just uniquely created for this type of breakdown?

Not that I won't watch other episodes as I find this fascinating but are you saying he doesn't do this for other songs or is this one just uniquely created for this type of breakdown?
The latter. There is so much going on in More Than a Feeling that is almost undetectable until he isolates the tracks and explains what is going on. He has a bunch of other great entries. 

As a musician, if you are trying to cover a song, you hope that he’s done a video on the song. Makes learning it (and all the nuances) so much easier. 
The sad thing is that bands like the Eagles are what he calls blockers, meaning they won't allow this kind of thing.  Led Zeppelin blocked one or two as well, but allowed others. 

I always just thought the riff was sinister. Awesome song. Never forget cruising around Florida on spring break catching a Cardinals spring training game then getting rippingly stoned and listening to this on the way back. 

The latter. There is so much going on in More Than a Feeling that is almost undetectable until he isolates the tracks and explains what is going on. He has a bunch of other great entries. 
I always hear songs differently after watching one of his videos. The way he breaks down each component is amazing. A very sharp dude. 

Touch Me by the Doors is an excellent video. It gives a really good understanding of how the individual talents of each member made their greatness. 

As a musician, this is why I can’t listen to music when I’m working. If a song is on, of any genre, all I do is break down the parts and analyze the structure, instrumentation, lyrics, melody, rhythm...everything. It’s like my brain can’t focus on anything else than being overwhelmed by the awesome creativity that adds up the parts to become a great song. 

Last edited by a moderator:
One of those random Aha moments (not the group Aha).......Siob Hashian's daughter is dating or married to the Rock i think i remember hearing. 

I actually saw Boston live at the Meadowlands.  It wasn't the outdoor 1979 festival.  I think it was together with Van Halen in the early 80s.

Delp vocals, guitar riff and the crescendo.

Pretty sure Tom Scholz was as straight as they get. The other guys in the band, not so much. But they didn't join until after "More Than A Feeling" was already written and recorded.

The best is when Beato points out instruments you would never expect to hear in that song. He pointed out synth in Blink 182 and piano in Black. And of course, he always says, you will never not hear it and he is right

I like Beato. He thinks he is great though and that is a little bit of a turn off. When artists deny him the right to use the song, he pouts like a baby

saw these guys before we knew who the hell they were at the Columbus Agora the Fall of my freshman in college.  Buddy of mine said there was this great new band ..."the next Aerosmith" - only because they came out of Boston.  Great show - blew us away ...and that tough to do when you've never heard the music before.  

The album came in September sometime but I don't remember hearing before ...well that album was about you heard coming out of damn every dorm room for the rest of the Fall.  

The best is when Beato points out instruments you would never expect to hear in that song. He pointed out synth in Blink 182 and piano in Black. And of course, he always says, you will never not hear it and he is right

I like Beato. He thinks he is great though and that is a little bit of a turn off. When artists deny him the right to use the song, he pouts like a baby
Wait, you never heard the piano in Pearl Jam's "Black"? 

joey said:
As a musician, this is why I can’t listen to music when I’m working. If a song is on, of any genre, all I do is break down the parts and analyze the structure, instrumentation, lyrics, melody, rhythm...everything. It’s like my brain can’t focus on anything else than being overwhelmed by the awesome creativity that adds up the parts to become a great song. 
I'm the same way but not as bad. Instrumental music is ok in the background but vocals/lyrics distract me from what I'm reading or posting.  So I built a library of downloads of various genres that have no lyrics to use as background music.  Stuff like in this thread I have to take a break to listen to.

Listened to about a dozen of these now.
So cool. 
I listened to a handful and hope to listen to more over the weekend.   Interesting how simple VH recordings were compared to Boston.   More Than a Feeling is brilliant but that doesn’t take away from what VH did.   If you have EVH on guitar, you don’t need to do much but let the master play.  

Users who are viewing this thread