Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Covid and School This Fall

6 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

It is accurate. The student who took the picture in the hallway was suspended.  There's also a recording of the principal on the PA telling everyone not to post things that are detrimental to the school.  That picture doesn't look good.

What an embarrassment. Yay Murica. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I teach junior high.  Our district is going full days, in-person, 5 days a week.  About 20-25% of our kids opted to remote learn from home.  First day yesterday appeared to go as well as it could have

Same thing most FBGs do, I argue with people on the internet, mostly. 

Uh oh. They do say loss of taste and smell is a Covid symptom. 😮

I went to my local bagel shop for the first time in a while to pickup a call in order.  11 customers inside - 2 masks.  Only one group of 4 at a table and all 4 without masks.  One of the guys in their group was talking to the lady in front of me.  Both complaining about things - “kids get colds all the time at the beginning of the school year” and things like that.  Then they are complaining about kids sports being cancelled.  I so bad wanted to interrupt them and say, “yes, it really sucks that folks can’t wear masks and help us get back to some normalcy”.  I’m guessing it would have been lost on these folks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
9 minutes ago, Ocram said:

I went to my local bagel shop for the first time in a while to pickup a call in order.  11 customers inside - 2 masks.  Only one group of 4 at a table and all 4 without masks.  One of the guys in their group was talking to the lady in front of me.  Both complaining about things - “kids get colds all the time at the beginning of the school year” and things like that.  Then they are complaining about kids sports being cancelled.  I so bad wanted to interrupt them and say, “yes, it really sucks that folks can’t wear masks and help us get back to some normalcy”.  I’m guessing it would have been lost on these folks.

Yeah masks suck. We all get it. But if its what I have to do to allow my sons to play youth sports then mask me up. These "adults" don't get it. They complain their kids cant play sports but fail to take the measures to allow them to play sports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Otis said:

Feeling pretty confident that with the full opening for all three of my kids right after Labor Day, there will be an outbreak and school closed by the end of September, early October at the very latest. Bank it. 

How big is the school? class size? is there much movement throughout the day? what are the numbers like in your area? do you know a meaningful number of kids/parents?

I'm asking because the answer to those questions are why we are less concerned about sending our kids back, if the school actually opens anyway. The numbers in our area are our biggest concern. Not that they're bad. But they're not good either. 

7 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:
On 8/5/2020 at 1:54 PM, Doug B said:
On 8/5/2020 at 12:33 PM, Ilov80s said:

I do think there is reasonable evidence to show little kids aren't spreading the disease. It's middle school and especially high school where the concerns are IMO.

This is correct, especially for lower values of "little". It's more empirical evidence than it is explanatory evidence, but yes ... the lack of contraction and spread among very young children (~ toddler age) has been well noted.

The evidence is not all in on this one, nor conclusive.

Link 1

NYTimes (may have firewall)

NPR

Your point is certainly granted. Note that the NY Times article you linked is, IMHO, saying pretty much what Ilov80s and I were saying.

We might be talking past each other a bit ... our point was not "COVID-19 can't and won't spread in K-12 schools". The narrower point we were making was truly about "little kids" (IMHO, maxing out around 5-6 yo).

My prediction is all these schools doing in-person learning are going to end up with sizable chunk of teachers getting quarantined (when outbreaks happen) and some getting the virus itself. The pool of substitute teachers, which tends to be retired or older teachers, will want none of this nonsense and we are going to be hearing about teacher shortages here in the very near future. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Got my son's plan. He's going into JHS. They have 4 groups of kids. Groups A, B, and C are blended learning and rotate days in school. This means they are in school 5 days every 3 weeks. Group D is 100% Remote. When in school, kids will stay in classroom all day, teachers rotate. Kids eat lunch in the classroom and learn during their lunch break meaning the school day will be shorter. Everyone must wear masks all day. This is the part my son is gonna have the toughest time with.

Metro Boston here and my daughter is getting a "Bridge to Hybrid" back to public high school plan.  All remote through Thanksgiving.  *Possible* expansion to hybrid (2 days in-person, three days remote) then but only if "available data and reopening metrics" indicate it's safe and feasible.  Return to full time in-person "when safe to do so."

We got some indication on how our remote schooling will work for one of our kids:

School, and students, will follow a real-time school schedule, and kids will be expected to check-in virtually with each class at the appropriate time, and teachers will be expected to deliver some content during that time block.  This includes a zero-hour class for our younger daughter.

All kids are being provided with a chromebook and WiFi hotspot if necessary.

Our older daughter is in a different high school, and I am less confident they will be as organized, but she also did pretty well last spring, so I am not terribly worried...yet.

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

Your point is certainly granted. Note that the NY Times article you linked is, IMHO, saying pretty much what Ilov80s and I were saying.

We might be talking past each other a bit ... our point was not "COVID-19 can't and won't spread in K-12 schools". The narrower point we were making was truly about "little kids" (IMHO, maxing out around 5-6 yo).

And I don't really know if it is safe or not. That isn't my field and I am not in a position to make a call about sending myself or kids to school. If I am asked to go in, I'll go in and teach. If I am asked to stay home, I'll stay home. I just think if I was in a position of leadership, I would targeting all the focus on the getting the youngest kids possible in school and working my way up- assuming there was enough reasonable support from the community and health officials. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

Got my son's plan. He's going into JHS. They have 4 groups of kids. Groups A, B, and C are blended learning and rotate days in school. This means they are in school 5 days every 3 weeks. Group D is 100% Remote. When in school, kids will stay in classroom all day, teachers rotate. Kids eat lunch in the classroom and learn during their lunch break meaning the school day will be shorter. Everyone must wear masks all day. This is the part my son is gonna have the toughest time with.

Sounds like a nightmare. Is remote not a possibility or you just don’t want to do it?

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

And I don't really know if it is safe or not. That isn't my field and I am not in a position to make a call about sending myself or kids to school. If I am asked to go in, I'll go in and teach. If I am asked to stay home, I'll stay home. I just think if I was in a position of leadership, I would targeting all the focus on the getting the youngest kids possible in school and working my way up- assuming there was enough reasonable support from the community and health officials. 

This just doesn't seem to be working.  

I haven't seen a single Texas district that is bringing in young kids where they aren't older kids.

For those wondering how they'll keep kids wearing masks ...

My son's middle school had their orientation on Zoom yesterday evening. For kids attending the 2-day-a-week program (aka "A" & "B" schedules), the mask-rule consequences are:

- First time removing mask: spend rest of the day in the school's 'isolation room' (a place to work separate from the classroom)
   - Second time removing mask: expulsion

It's similar for physical touching between students (to include fighting, teasing, poking, etc.) Kids will either adjust quick or repeat the grade. Not sure how close to 'zero tolerance' they're going to hew ... in the past, this school had been fairly loose with many rules and a fair amount of unruliness had been tolerated. I guess we'll see.

They also covered fairly convoluted protocols for students leaving class, returning to class, changing classes between periods, etc. A mistake I think they're making is having the kids continue to change classes instead of the teachers.

In our school district, families of kids in all grades have the option to choose 100% virtual lessons. We have chosen virtual learning both for our son & daughter.

Edited by Doug B
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I totally understand people's desire to make this work.  Both for their own sake (free childcare) and for the children's sake (education, social normalcy).  I'm not here to judge or throw stones at folks who want kids to stay home nor those who want kids to go back to school.

We had our back to school night orientation for my 1st grader last night and I was not impressed.  Teacher immediately removed her mask and said it's hard to talk in that thing (she pulled it down around her chin).  We were the last meeting of the day and she addressed me basically assuming that my primary concern was going to be the children's sufferering due to wearing masks, I'm guessing because that was a concern brought up by many of the other parents (she alluded to this).  She assured me that kids wouldn't have to wear their masks when outside and that they would be taking mask wearing "breaks" throughout the day in the classroom.  Honestly if I had to guess I'd give it about a week before masks are on less than 50% of the kids in the classroom less than 50% of the time.

Again, I totally understand the need people feel to get kids back to school for our economy to function, and for kids to be kids, but the cases are absolutely going to spike hugely on this.  Whether or not that is worth it is the discussion we should be having.  Whether or not we'll be able to do this while containing the spread through schools is a waste of time.  That part is absolutely not going to happen.

ETA: This is in Utah

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
31 minutes ago, KiddLattimer said:

Just a PSA: Chromebooks are going to be in very short supply if schools start shutting down, if you need one for your kid you may want to grab one now.

If possible just leave it in the packaging and return it if you need.

Per my wife this may already be too late.

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

Per my wife this may already be too late.

I just picked up a Lenovo Duet yesterday so I know they're still around.  Supply is definitely thin though

Edit to add - in Upstate NY, but they had available for shipping too

Edited by KiddLattimer
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Agreed, 6-12 all remote and pre-K -5 spread out over all the schools to keep social distance.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, KiddLattimer said:

I just picked up a Lenovo Duet yesterday so I know they're still around.  Supply is definitely thin though

Edit to add - in Upstate NY, but they had available for shipping too

She's in charge of technology and they're on back order everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if there are ones floating around out there in retail (online or brick/mortar), but like you said - thin. Anyone that may need one better get on it today.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, The Gator said:

We got some indication on how our remote schooling will work for one of our kids:

School, and students, will follow a real-time school schedule, and kids will be expected to check-in virtually with each class at the appropriate time, and teachers will be expected to deliver some content during that time block.  This includes a zero-hour class for our younger daughter.

All kids are being provided with a chromebook and WiFi hotspot if necessary.

Our older daughter is in a different high school, and I am less confident they will be as organized, but she also did pretty well last spring, so I am not terribly worried...yet.

Our school district gave out a sample plan for our elementary school kids that have this too.  No chance it works for anyone that has kids in daycare.  Even those that have WFH it's going to be a ####show...especially for those with multiple kids with things at the same time.

42 minutes ago, xulf said:

Our school district gave out a sample plan for our elementary school kids that have this too.  No chance it works for anyone that has kids in daycare.  Even those that have WFH it's going to be a ####show...especially for those with multiple kids with things at the same time.

:shrug:

We kept both of our kids on that schedule last spring - even though the schools were not on that schedule.  But, it definitely works for older kids, more than younger kids. 

Our previous nanny (when the twins were 1-3 years old) just told us she found another gig and can't help out during the day to supervise the 2nd graders at home while my wife and I work.  Now we're gonna scramble to find someone to supervise...  Ugh.

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, Otis said:

Feeling pretty confident that with the full opening for all three of my kids right after Labor Day, there will be an outbreak and school closed by the end of September, early October at the very latest. Bank it. 

:rant:

Should I fly into JFK or LaGuardia?

• Like 1
On 8/5/2020 at 5:32 AM, shadyridr said:

I'm not disparaging all teachers. 3 of my sister in laws are teachers. 2 of them are phenomenal and definitely go above and beyond. The other not so much. Just collecting a paycheck. Just rubs me the wrong way when more and more stories keep coming out about their unions not wanting them to go back to work. Stuff like this comment irks me:

“We are teachers and parents and have read your plan,” the petition states. “We still do not feel safe. We should not return to school unless there has been a minimum of 14 days without new cases. Given the fact that schools have had their budgets slashed, we know this will greatly impact their ability to have adequate custodial personnel needed to clean schools during the day and at night. We do not believe that Chancellor Carranza understands this reality.”

Just seems unreasonable. We all get paid to do a job. If remote learning proved successful id have no issues going that route. But it didn't where I am. It was a disaster for us and for everyone I know. Thats why most people I know want teachers back in school doing their job because so far they haven't. Maybe I'll be proven wrong in September but I doubt it.

Awesome.  Thanks.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Doug B said:

I know, but the jury is out on that, too.  Without a good study or one with a control group, we just don't know.  But that doesn't really matter that much.  All those teachers got to come from somewhere.  And little kids are much more hands on than older kids.  They want to hug the teacher, asuming the teacher isn't an ogre.

15 hours ago, Doug B said:

For those wondering how they'll keep kids wearing masks ...

My son's middle school had their orientation on Zoom yesterday evening. For kids attending the 2-day-a-week program (aka "A" & "B" schedules), the mask-rule consequences are:

- First time removing mask: spend rest of the day in the school's 'isolation room' (a place to work separate from the classroom)
   - Second time removing mask: expulsion

It's similar for physical touching between students (to include fighting, teasing, poking, etc.) Kids will either adjust quick or repeat the grade. Not sure how close to 'zero tolerance' they're going to hew ... in the past, this school had been fairly loose with many rules and a fair amount of unruliness had been tolerated. I guess we'll see.

They also covered fairly convoluted protocols for students leaving class, returning to class, changing classes between periods, etc. A mistake I think they're making is having the kids continue to change classes instead of the teachers.

In our school district, families of kids in all grades have the option to choose 100% virtual lessons. We have chosen virtual learning both for our son & daughter.

Yeah I doubt that will be enforced very well. There will be a lot of looking the other way other than the kids that are really being causing problems. And to a point that is ok. Mask usage doesn’t need to be 100% constantly to have significant mitigation effects. I’ve seen a lot of teens that are much better with the masks than middle aged adults.

• Like 1

Cuomo announced NY full opening schools so long as the numbers stay low. 

Why didn’t the whole country just shut down like NY did?  They’d all have been able to do the same. 

Though I’m still banking on a massive outbreak that shuts down schools in a month. Then again I’m no expert, and Cuomo is listening to the experts and believes we can make this work, so let’s see what happens. 

5 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

What is this?  It sounds like she will be invading Normandy.

:lol:

She is in an accelerated STEM program, where the kids take one extra class per year.  The school operates on a block schedule, meaning they take 8 classes, 4 each on rotating days.  The STEM program kids take one additional class that meets every day.  For Freshmen, that class will either be Algebra 2 or Chemistry - and it starts at 7:25 each morning, with the regular schedule starting at 8:30.  So, the "zero-hour" just reflects that it starts before the normal 1st hour class.

Over the course of the program, it allows extra flexibility in getting in math and science electives.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Otis said:

Why didn’t the whole country just shut down like NY did?  They’d all have been able to do the same. 

Though I’m still banking on a massive outbreak that shuts down schools in a month. Then again I’m no expert, and Cuomo is listening to the experts and believes we can make this work, so let’s see what happens. 

Your boy Cuomo is an idiot 

31 minutes ago, Chickenwang said:

Your boy Cuomo is an idiot 

He stopped the virus in New York State.  Turns out we have a pretty big city here.  Idiot or not, that’s impressive compared to what’s happening in other places.  

If every governor in the country did what Cuomo did a couple months ago, we’d have no virus.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Otis said:

Because we are a dumb country that doesn’t believe in science. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
32 minutes ago, Otis said:

If every governor in the country did what Cuomo did a couple months ago, we’d have no virus.

I get your point, but a) there's no such thing as zero virus, not even in NYC, and b) circumstances were different in New York than in other places.  Many other states haven't had huge outbreaks like the north east had.

• Like 1
On 8/7/2020 at 9:19 AM, Courtjester said:

My prediction is all these schools doing in-person learning are going to end up with sizable chunk of teachers getting quarantined (when outbreaks happen) and some getting the virus itself. The pool of substitute teachers, which tends to be retired or older teachers, will want none of this nonsense and we are going to be hearing about teacher shortages here in the very near future. 

This.  Our district is telling counselors, administrators, basically every certificated person who isn't a teacher, "You'll be subbing at some point."  Which really strains the credulity of the notion of the "superiority of in-person instruction." 

Likewise, I see all of this being on about an 8-week timer.  We got a list of the symptoms with which teachers MUST stay home.  The overlap of these symptoms with a) seasonal allergies, and b) seasonal flu is high.  Soooooo...

1. seasonal allergies/flu kick in,

2. tons of people have symptoms that require a test,

3. test demand soars,

4. test results turnaround times go back up,

5. teachers are out the full 10 days as a result,

6. No subs (for the reasons mentioned above).

All of this points to remote learning by the end of Q1 of the school year, simply for lack of warm bodies to post at the front of the room.  [NOTE:  none of the criteria above even touch on the likelihood of an ACTUAL Covid-19 infection event].

• Like 2
9 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

I get your point, but a) there's no such thing as zero virus, not even in NYC, and b) circumstances were different in New York than in other places.  Many other states haven't had huge outbreaks like the north east had.

That’s fine but they do now. we don’t have great big walls between the states. It’s all or nothing.  

15 minutes ago, Otis said:

That’s fine but they do now. we don’t have great big walls between the states. It’s all or nothing.  

There are areas in Texas which haven't had a single recorded case yet.  

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

Its like motorcycle riders.  There are two types of motorcycle riders, those that have crashed, and those that will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Its like motorcycle riders.  There are two types of motorcycle riders, those that have crashed, and those that will.

But I mean wouldn't the sane thing to do be to open up districts below some caseload level ?

15 hours ago, Otis said:

He stopped the virus in New York State.  Turns out we have a pretty big city here.  Idiot or not, that’s impressive compared to what’s happening in other places.  

We'd also have no nursing home patients 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Texas has and is.  Our Lt Gov said old people should just go ahead and die.  I'm guessing he didn't mean himself.  At least the Gov seems to get it now (mostly).

Edited by Mrs. Rannous
9 hours ago, culdeus said:

They also have no people.  If your county (Loving) has 134 people and no incorporated towns, of course no one is sick.  It's social distancing at its finest.

• Thanks 1

Largest School Enrollment in Oklahoma Broken Arrow High School roughly 4k kids 10th, 11th, and 12th  has been delayed another 2 weeks to the first of September.

The next two largest schools (Union/Jenks) have decided to do the first 9 weeks online/virtual.   Union Public Schools Superintendent Kirt Hartzler will recommend starting the upcoming year through distance learning Monday evening.

People are losing their minds on facebook.   Seems that the parents want their kids out of the house ASAP!  

Oklahoma colleges have started allowing kids back on campus.   This is so weird.

14 minutes ago, Marmalade said:

Largest School Enrollment in Oklahoma Broken Arrow High School roughly 4k kids 10th, 11th, and 12th  has been delayed another 2 weeks to the first of September.

The next two largest schools (Union/Jenks) have decided to do the first 9 weeks online/virtual.   Union Public Schools Superintendent Kirt Hartzler will recommend starting the upcoming year through distance learning Monday evening.

People are losing their minds on facebook.   Seems that the parents want their kids out of the house ASAP!  

Oklahoma colleges have started allowing kids back on campus.   This is so weird.

For those of us with lots of little ones, who we’ve been stuck at home with since March, yes I can confirm nearly every parent wouldn’t mind getting their kids out of the house ASAP. 

1 hour ago, Otis said:

For those of us with lots of little ones, who we’ve been stuck at home with since March, yes I can confirm nearly every parent wouldn’t mind getting their kids out of the house ASAP. 

I want them out of the house, but not for myself; for their development. I'll sacrifice my own time and sanity if it were a good thing for them, but this isn't. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1