What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid and School This Fall (1 Viewer)

It was an absolute pipe dream to expect college students to do what was necessary to prevent this.  It really does seem like schools are just going to "give it the ol' college try" so that they can collect some additional $$.

It must really suck to be in college or have a kid in college right now..
Add Notre Dame to the list - over 150 cases in the first week already.  Starting online courses immediately.  

Add Notre Dame to the list - over 150 cases in the first week already.  Starting online courses immediately.  
Just saw a TV news report on this...500 in quarantine.  It was reported that they are tracing the cases back to a couple of off campus parties.  Welcome to college life.

It was an absolute pipe dream to expect college students to do what was necessary to prevent this.  It really does seem like schools are just going to "give it the ol' college try" so that they can collect some additional $$.

It must really suck to be in college or have a kid in college right now..
My oldest kid was slated to be a Freshman this year - we collectively decide to wait 6-12 months and reassess.

I get why we wouldn't temp the kids- it's a logistics and time problem (we aren't even in person in September anyway) and it's much easier to temp the teachers. How many teens who contract the disease have a fever? I am not sure it's very high anyway. Though the counter argument is, if we only temp staff and they represent maybe 5-7% of the people in the building, is that really doing anything meaningful?
Why would we temp anybody?   It’s almost useless as a diagnostic method for COVID.

Isn’t the idea that if they are COVID positive and running a fever you are at your most contagious point?  I’m no medical person - just what I had heard.
1) People are contagious before having any symptoms

2) Many many people never have a discernible fever but are still infected and contagious

It’s window dressing.  We “have to do something” so we take temps, because it a) costs next to nothing, b) is a visible form of action, c) fits people’s preconceived notions of how to evaluate illness.

I’m glad my kids don’t start for another few weeks.  Hopefully they will see what’s happening and come to their senses without the charade is opening back up.  

All these universities opening and closing a week later are comical. Are grade schools and high schools going to fare any better?  I have no idea. On the one hand you can probably keep 4th graders following instructions better than college kids, and you don’t have the kids living with each other, and people aren’t traveling in from all over the country. So maybe it will work? Just don’t know.. I have to imagine we’re going to have the same problems. 

"False sense of security" is code these days.

It means i dont have better facts. 
It’s not code for anything, other than “I’m too lazy to link every single thing I’ve read about COVID and human psychology.”  If you disagree, cool.  No need to be rude.

PS - the facts are in every COVID thread on this board.  You’ve been in those threads enough to have seen the links already.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not code for anything, other than “I’m too lazy to link every single thing I’ve read about COVID and human psychology.”  If you disagree, cool.  No need to be rude.

PS - the facts are in every COVID thread on this board.  You’ve been in those threads enough to have seen the links already.
Masks were said to cause a false sense of security too. The thought that any more than a few kids at school or teachers would act differently if they got their temp checked makes no sense unless the messaging that came with it said that it was ok to do so. If used in lieu of other things, sure I could see it. 

Like hey we arent going to wear masks and will put desks right next to each other because we are temp screening. 

But there is no way that people with the constant reminder of masks everywhere or taped x's on the ground and plexiglass dividers will somehow forget everything they hear and walk around hugging people because they are like dude its all good, I am 98.6!!! 

Temp also is representative of other conditions that we should want to avoid in a school setting right now.

Why would we temp anybody?   It’s almost useless as a diagnostic method for COVID.
I am not making any decisions, just relaying info I am getting. Here would be my thought process on temping

1. Yes, it's to provide a sense of safety, window dressing if you want to call it that
  2. The County has clear rules in place that employees are not allowed to work if they have a temp so it's a way to enforce that rule
  3. While not universal, many people with COVID do get a fever. Sure they may have already been spreading it before but why let them continue to spread it? It may be far from totally effective, but I have to imagine taking temps would catch some positive cases
  4. I know you mentioned a false sense of safety but conversely, things like daily temp checks may also serve as reminders to people that we aren't safe, we need to take extra precautions and to more closely monitor their health. 

Masks were said to cause a false sense of security too. The thought that any more than a few kids at school or teachers would act differently if they got their temp checked makes no sense unless the messaging that came with it said that it was ok to do so. If used in lieu of other things, sure I could see it. 

Like hey we arent going to wear masks and will put desks right next to each other because we are temp screening. 

But there is no way that people with the constant reminder of masks everywhere or taped x's on the ground and plexiglass dividers will somehow forget everything they hear and walk around hugging people because they are like dude its all good, I am 98.6!!! 

Temp also is representative of other conditions that we should want to avoid in a school setting right now.
Very fair perspective.

I am not making any decisions, just relaying info I am getting. Here would be my thought process on temping

1. Yes, it's to provide a sense of safety, window dressing if you want to call it that
  2. The County has clear rules in place that employees are not allowed to work if they have a temp so it's a way to enforce that rule
  3. While not universal, many people with COVID do get a fever. Sure they may have already been spreading it before but why let them continue to spread it? It may be far from totally effective, but I have to imagine taking temps would catch some positive cases
  4. I know you mentioned a false sense of safety but conversely, things like daily temp checks may also serve as reminders to people that we aren't safe, we need to take extra precautions and to more closely monitor their health. 
All good points.   Appreciate the thoughtful reply.  

If taking temps is one of many steps we take to increase our odds of success fighting this thing, count me in.  I continue to hear people IRL say “yeah, took our family’s temps, no fever, we’re good.”  It’s a scary mindset.

The thing is they aren't sick.  Kids are not going to show up to school and then suddenly need to go on a vent.  You find some bench outside to sit them on so they can get picked up by their parents and move on.  We are supposed to be ready to drop everything and be moving to school in 30 min.  There's no care that needs to be applied by a nurse whatsoever, just isolation.
Wow.  You can tell this without even looking at them.  Nice.  Never claimed the kids needed a ventilator.  And if you are just putting them outside to be picked up but "they aren't sick", why are you doing that?  The article also said:

I know that when a child feels under the weather, it’s tempting to give them a fever-reducer and send them to school anyway, hoping for the best. That instinct will be catastrophic in a community where many people have been vocally skeptical about the severity or even the existence of the pandemic; they’re impatient with what they see as overcautious restrictions.
You have no idea what the school nurse actually is supposed to do, do you?

If taking temps is one of many steps we take to increase our odds of success fighting this thing, count me in.
A lot of the problem here occurs when temps are taken as someone enters the building.  If you live in Arizona or Texas for example, all that tells you is that the outside temp is 90 or 100+ degrees.  Waiting for ten minutes and then taking it would produce some usuable results.

They are less likely to have an off-campus kegger.  (Maybe not the high schools.)
Might be localized and it might be because my daughter goes to a magnet high school ... but her cohort just aren't into experimenting with drugs and alcohol and getting into general trouble. They're very sheltered. They remind me a lot more of how, say, 8th-graders were back in the day.

Wow.  You can tell this without even looking at them.  Nice.  Never claimed the kids needed a ventilator.  And if you are just putting them outside to be picked up but "they aren't sick", why are you doing that?  The article also said:

Call the parents.  Basically. 

A lot of the problem here occurs when temps are taken as someone enters the building.  If you live in Arizona or Texas for example, all that tells you is that the outside temp is 90 or 100+ degrees.  Waiting for ten minutes and then taking it would produce some usuable results.
Very good point. I wish it were only 90-100 here.

I don't remember the last time it was under 110. Just been a brutal brutal summer here being indoors so much and then going out in it. Far and away the worst I've ever experienced.

And why I think/know it'll spread like wildfire at ASU if students are getting tested. Classes start tomorrow I believe

Sounds like everyone is feeling about the same way I do. 

I am a teacher. I teach 5th and 6th grade math. We are going back to school in person on Wednesday next week. My daughter is about to start her freshman year in college, she is living in the dorms and she is supposed to start on Monday. I obviously have my concerns about both. My wife is also in the medical field and is in and out of surgery all day so we are kind of surrounded by this on all fronts. 

I dont see kids functioning in school with all of this added confusion and all the crazy rules. I also don't see the majority of kids keeping their hand out of their noses and mouth all day. 

I live in Vegas. It is the hottest summer I can remember and I have lived here over 13 years. Not much you can do outside. Everyone is inside. 

Our district had rolled out a hybrid plan which ended up being 2 half days a week with the rest online (different grades on different days of the week) and all online for anyone that wanted.

The school board yesterday announced that they currently can not safely go back in person (state of NJ gave this option last week) so everything will be all online to start the year. Whole bunch of people are mad and freaking out. It would really suck to be a school administrator right now. They’re not trained or equipped to figure this stuff out or deal with these types of decisions. 

Ohio just announced fall sports can return.  My kids start back at school next week.  Wife (teacher) started back this week.  All in person.  For the first week, my kids go to school for two days, then remote learning for 3 days - with one day being Zoom style classes with all of their teachers.  I give it about two weeks and I think they will go all remote.  No hard facts, just a hunch.  I told my wife that if that happens, we're going to the beach for a few days and do remote learning in front of the waves.  

My daughters school is doing remote learning starting Sept 14th. They hope to start a hybrid plan, 2 days a week, starting on Oct 19th with a slow roll out. The earliest my daughter would be able to go back would be Nov 9th and that's if nothing changes. I have a feeling once the flu season hits they'll shut it down and do remote learning for the whole year. Teachers are required to do the online classes from their classrooms. I'm glad about this as one of her teachers last year became a mirage during the online classes. Showed up late, switched class times at the last minute. 

Our district had rolled out a hybrid plan which ended up being 2 half days a week with the rest online (different grades on different days of the week) and all online for anyone that wanted.
I have to give credit where credit is due -- since mid-July, this has been the plan locally (suburban New Orleans) for grades 6-12.

Something interesting that came out of some school Zoom meetings** yesterday evening. Some folks upthread were discussing how parents could change their commitments between "kids going to school" and "kids learning from home online". There frequently seem to be constraints, such as "have to decide in August for the entire school year" or "can change scheme once per quarter".

Well, my son's middle school is now allowing unfettered scheme changes all school year long. If a parent wants, they can switch between schemes practically every day -- just send an email to the school office. Sounds like it would be fraught with problems ... but I think they can pull it off because more than 1/2 of the school's kids will be online only.

Something else new that came out -- teachers won't be going to school on Fridays and students won't have formal lessons of any kind (in-person or online) on Fridays. Fridays are now meant for homework, projects, and teachers' "office hours" where they will take phone calls and Zoom meetings from individual students. Now I'm curious to see if my daughter's high school and her arts-enrichment school (both all online now) are going to do the same thing with Fridays.

Our school is taking every Wednesday of a full five day week off in a similar manner.  That day will be reserved for electives and team projects to be done virtually.  

30% have opted for online-only so far, expectation the number is around 40%.  Some of the classrooms simply can't fit all the kids they need to so there might be situations where some kids are getting virtual learning at school, which I find ironic/sad/funny/??.

I have to give credit where credit is due -- since mid-July, this has been the plan locally (suburban New Orleans) for grades 6-12.

Something interesting that came out of some school Zoom meetings** yesterday evening. Some folks upthread were discussing how parents could change their commitments between "kids going to school" and "kids learning from home online". There frequently seem to be constraints, such as "have to decide in August for the entire school year" or "can change scheme once per quarter".

Well, my son's middle school is now allowing unfettered scheme changes all school year long. If a parent wants, they can switch between schemes practically every day -- just send an email to the school office. Sounds like it would be fraught with problems ... but I think they can pull it off because more than 1/2 of the school's kids will be online only.

Something else new that came out -- teachers won't be going to school on Fridays and students won't have formal lessons of any kind (in-person or online) on Fridays. Fridays are now meant for homework, projects, and teachers' "office hours" where they will take phone calls and Zoom meetings from individual students. Now I'm curious to see if my daughter's high school and her arts-enrichment school (both all online now) are going to do the same thing with Fridays.
Our school wants people committed to their choice for the semester.  Although it is unspoken, they will allow kids to switch from in person to online should their circumstances dictate, but they will NOT allow switching from online to in person.  The latter has too many implications for disrupting the logistics and spacing in the physical setting once the system is in place since in person classrooms are being limited to 20.  

Our school wants people committed to their choice for the semester.  Although it is unspoken, they will allow kids to switch from in person to online should their circumstances dictate, but they will NOT allow switching from online to in person.  The latter has too many implications for disrupting the logistics and spacing in the physical setting once the system is in place since in person classrooms are being limited to 20.  
Our district said minimum of 9 weeks. 

There is zero doubt in my mind we will be remote only within 3 weeks of school starting. (By we i mean whole district)

I believe my kids have a similar thing on Wednesdays.  For M/T/Th/F they have a schedule were each remote class session is split in two.  For the first 20 minutes half of the class is in the zoom call, the other is going their work, then they switch.  And which half of the class goes first alternates each week.  So it makes it a little easier for the teacher to answer questions from the kids.  For Wednesday the schedule just says something like "independent learning, individual calls" 

Mrs. Rannous said:

The legal ramifications of finding "some bench outside to sit them on so they can get picked up by their parents" were clearly not considered, either. Just a bad argument, through and through, really. 

Ohio just announced fall sports can return.  My kids start back at school next week.  Wife (teacher) started back this week.  All in person.  For the first week, my kids go to school for two days, then remote learning for 3 days - with one day being Zoom style classes with all of their teachers.  I give it about two weeks and I think they will go all remote.  No hard facts, just a hunch.  I told my wife that if that happens, we're going to the beach for a few days and do remote learning in front of the waves.  
Michigan has punted high school football. Golf, Cross Country and Tennis free to move forward. Decision on girls swim (my daughter), boys soccer and volleyball expected today. A lot of parents questioning how CC is ok but not swimming. A lot of kids have been swimming outdoors without incident. Indoors shouldn't be a concern if they wear masks and keep proper distance. Hoping for good news. 

Michigan has punted high school football. Golf, Cross Country and Tennis free to move forward. Decision on girls swim (my daughter), boys soccer and volleyball expected today. A lot of parents questioning how CC is ok but not swimming. A lot of kids have been swimming outdoors without incident. Indoors shouldn't be a concern if they wear masks and keep proper distance. Hoping for good news. 
This is part of the frustration for the masses.  Everybody is doing things differently, nobody really knows whether these decisions are “right” - lots of guessing going on.  And I’m not blaming anyone, it’s just the way it is but it’s frustrating.

Ohio HS can have those sports, but with major restrictions.  Major change is no spectators allowed, including scrimmages and practices.  Team members only.  For games/events, immediate family members only (parents, siblings).  No one else in the facility outside of the teams.  My daughter's first XC meet is next week, and from what I've heard only one parent can attend - with some schools saying no parents.  It'll be interesting to see what happens.  Swimming is still restricted to outdoor, from what I'm told.  I think once we have a positive case at a HS sporting event, those will be cancelled.  Gov DeWine has been very close to the vest on the whole Covid issue.  I'm sure he won't hesitate to reign things in if an outbreak happens at a school or sporting event.

Universities across the country are shocked and appalled that college students are attending parties now that they're back on campus.  Who could have possibly predicted such a thing?  Clearly, this is the fault of all the 19-to-22-year-olds, not the adults who made the decision to reopen.  
You wonder how many of these schools that open to students, only to close very quickly and move to on-line classes will face consequences for what appears to be tuition/money grabs on their part.  ??  Maybe that's a bit cynical, but it seems more schools of higher learning are making that choice.

Universities across the country are shocked and appalled that college students are attending parties now that they're back on campus.  Who could have possibly predicted such a thing?  Clearly, this is the fault of all the 19-to-22-year-olds, not the adults who made the decision to reopen.  
I get it, but also there has to be some level of personal responsibility here. The adults who are at school partying and their parents deserve a TON of criticism here. 

Lol, school districts starting this week are already shutting down because, who would have thought running 120 live streams in HD would crush bandwidth?

I get it, but also there has to be some level of personal responsibility here. The adults who are at school partying and their parents deserve a TON of criticism here. 
I appreciate this line of argument, but college students aren't really adults in the full-blown sense of the term.

I'm an old school faculty member in the sense that I really like the "look to your left, now look to your right" style of introduction to college.  When I was teaching, I never took attendance or considered attendance in my grading, because if a student can not attend and still ace my exams, good for them.  I mean that sincerely.  I taught myself math, so I'm very sympathetic to this avenue of learning.

But my 19-year-old self was nowhere near as community-minded as my 48-year-old self.  Realistically, you don't get thousands of college kids together in one place if you're not prepared for them to hang out together.  That's what college kids do.  University administrators who don't realize that are simply incompetent, in the sense that they don't understand their core consumer base.

I appreciate this line of argument, but college students aren't really adults in the full-blown sense of the term.

I'm an old school faculty member in the sense that I really like the "look to your left, now look to your right" style of introduction to college.  When I was teaching, I never took attendance or considered attendance in my grading, because if a student can not attend and still ace my exams, good for them.  I mean that sincerely.  I taught myself math, so I'm very sympathetic to this avenue of learning.

But my 19-year-old self was nowhere near as community-minded as my 48-year-old self.  Realistically, you don't get thousands of college kids together in one place if you're not prepared for them to hang out together.  That's what college kids do.  University administrators who don't realize that are simply incompetent, in the sense that they don't understand their core consumer base.
I teach high school. I get this. It still doesn't absolve them. They are just another facet of our issues dealing with COVID. 

My nephew is a senior at NC State, and this is the second week of classes, and today it was announced they will be going online for the Fall semester due to the rising Covid cases at the school. All the undergrads in dorms are being sent back home (probably some with the virus). 

Sounds like everyone is feeling about the same way I do. 

I am a teacher. I teach 5th and 6th grade math. We are going back to school in person on Wednesday next week. My daughter is about to start her freshman year in college, she is living in the dorms and she is supposed to start on Monday. I obviously have my concerns about both. My wife is also in the medical field and is in and out of surgery all day so we are kind of surrounded by this on all fronts. 

I dont see kids functioning in school with all of this added confusion and all the crazy rules. I also don't see the majority of kids keeping their hand out of their noses and mouth all day. 

I live in Vegas. It is the hottest summer I can remember and I have lived here over 13 years. Not much you can do outside. Everyone is inside. 
Please keep us informed.  Seriously, zero sarcasm.  With no commentary on "the virus", I'm super interested in how it's impacting anyone in your family in your area.

My kids, 9th and 12th start today (preK-12 private). Pretty good plans in place, IMO. Handwashing/sanitizing and temp checks for all kids before entering. No parents allowed inside at all. One-direction hallways. No locker use. Portable desk shields ( :rolleyes:  ). Lunches will be in the classroom during inclement weather, outside at scattered picnic tables at other times. Water refill stations and everyone brings their own water bottles. Masks to be worn during class transitions.  And plans in place for any positive tests that arise. 

About everything that can be done, IMO. 

My kids are on day 10 of full time, in-person school.  Have a 5th, 3rd and a pre-k student.  School seems to be going off just as well as it can.  They all have about 15-18 kids per class.  Masks are not required in class, but are in common areas.  Teachers rotate classes instead of the kids.  That only applies to 5th grade and up though. 

Lunch is spread out.  Instead of 5 classes in the cafeteria they've created new ares.  Like one class goes to the cafeteria, one to some picnic tables outside, some to the lawn, some to the gym.  

Same with recess.  They don't all go to the playground.  They have 4-5 areas they all go too.  

No cases that I've heard of, things seem about as normal as can be for us.  Its such a relief.  I hope we can all get back to this soon.  I feel like a solid 2 weeks in and things are okay maybe we'll weather this storm.  

Other neighborhood kids are stuck in a hybrid schedule that just seems like madness.  They rotate 2 days a week and no one goes to school Wednesdays.  

Users who are viewing this thread